The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Cambo blog post (about my work)

Pemihan

In case some of you are interested Cambo just published an article about my work on their blog: https://blog.cambo.com/

Here's a recent photograph from my project Descansos.
(- descanso (plural descansos) A roadside memorial or marker that commemorates a site where a person died suddenly and unexpectedly.)

IQ3-100 Achromatic, Cambo WRS 1250, Digaron-40.

Last edited:

dave.gt

In case some of you are interested in Cambo just published an article about my work on their blog: https://blog.cambo.com/

Here's a recent photograph from my project Descansos.
(- descanso (plural descansos) A roadside memorial or marker that commemorates a site where a person died suddenly and unexpectedly.)

IQ3-100 Achromatic, Cambo WRS 1250, Digaron-40.
Congratulations, Peter!:thumbup:

Thanks for posting I will be looking into this in detail in the morning. Love it!:)

Shashin

Congrats. I really enjoyed the discussion of your work. It is interesting to have the context behind your work: no one posts that with their images here. Your reference to 19th century American landscape photography was insightful for me as a viewer. And while your work reflects that period, you have also made it your own.

Pemihan

Congrats. I really enjoyed the discussion of your work. It is interesting to have the context behind your work: no one posts that with their images here. Your reference to 19th century American landscape photography was insightful for me as a viewer. And while your work reflects that period, you have also made it your own.
Thank you Will. I'm glad you found it interesting. I'm always like am I saying too much or too little, I find it to be a balancing act.
Maybe we should start a thread where it's not only about the photograph but also the thoughts behind it.

dave.gt

Thank you Will. I'm glad you found it interesting. I'm always like am I saying too much or too little, I find it to be a balancing act.
Maybe we should start a thread where it's not only about the photograph but also the thoughts behind it.
A balancing act on the side of a cliff like I have seen on one of the images in the Cambo blog and at least one other image posted here :bugeyes: ... no need to worry about how much you say, it is all interesting and worthy of describing. We would like read more about your work, and I would like to know more of the emotions behind each image.

There is at least one story behind each picture besides the factual one. What draws you to the American West? How do you feel when you are on location? And how do you feel when you have made one of your wonderful images?:):):)

Fascinating!:thumbup:

A book please.:)

Pemihan

A balancing act on the side of a cliff like I have seen on one of the images in the Cambo blog and at least one other image posted here :bugeyes: ... no need to worry about how much you say, it is all interesting and worthy of describing. We would like read more about your work, and I would like to know more of the emotions behind each image.

There is at least one story behind each picture besides the factual one. What draws you to the American West? How do you feel when you are on location? And how do you feel when you have made one of your wonderful images?:):):)

Fascinating!:thumbup:

A book please.:)
Thanks Dave!

For one thing I really like the American Southwest due to the harshness of the desert landscape, if you go of the beaten track you are on your own and responsible for your own life, nobody is around to save you. An accident like a broken leg, which in "The World" are pretty easily fixed, can mean death out in the backcountry. Also being all alone for a prolonged time have a significant impact on me. Both of these sharpens your senses, at least mine.
Another important thing to me is the history of the West, both the lives of the Native Americans before and after the arrival of the Europeans and they impact they had on everything. That's from the very early arrival of the Spaniards in the 1500's up to the present time. The hardships the early explores, mountain men, soldiers and immigrants endured and the hardships they brought down on the Natives which have a big and very sad influence up to this day.

I always travel alone when I'm out photographing for my projects. I like being alone with no one to break the state I'm in. It's makes me focus more intensely. In a way I'm in a quite different state of mind compared to being around other people. It's kind of a spiritual thing to me the same way as it is being alone out in the backcountry. Hope that makes sense....

Regarding after the fact if I think I really nailed the shot I'm looking for it's kind of a being high feeling. It drives me towards the next shot and gives me a kind or restless energy to move on.

A book (or more) would be great and I have plenty of ideas for it so it is in my thoughts, but first I need to finish some of the projects I'm working on and then raise money for the printing costs and getting a publisher. I self published a book here in Denmark but without a distribution channel it is hard to get it out in the world and get the sales necessary to cover the cost.

Thanks again Dave!

Last edited:

darr

Congratulations on the article Peter!
I enjoyed reading it, viewing your work, and learning more about you.
The history of the salt deposit in the Saline Valley I found especially interesting.

Kind regards,
Darr

Pemihan

Congratulations on the article Peter!
I enjoyed reading it, viewing your work, and learning more about you.
The history of the salt deposit in the Saline Valley I found especially interesting.

Kind regards,
Darr
Thank you Darr, yes the salt deposits is a very interesting piece of history, I enjoyed being there and look forward to going back for some additional shooting higher up on the mountain. I was there in early April and the road to the top was still closer due to snow and ice.

Last edited: