The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

XF Feature Update #4 Service Release 2

Paul2660

Wow, I wonder when P1 will get around to fixing a few basic issues instead of items like this. Sad to see they still can't handle:

1. Auto rotate on portrait oriented images
2. Corrected power sharing between XF and IQ4 (currently is broken)
3. Corrected battery usage, most batteries show blinking icon and have between 20 and 25% actual power remaining
4. Live View broken, with Auto feature just blinking from totally over exposed to totally under exposed and doing this constantly
5. Play back broken with image being broken between 400 and 100 % view, impossible to view image
6. Lost images, and lock ups on boot
7. After a period of time all image playback after capture show up at 100% (broken view) instead of the 5% which is normal
8. Lack of tactile control between Triple tap to drop back from 100% to 5% view, many times multiple triple taps are required and often
no matter how man triple taps, screen will not drop back to 5% unless you hit upper left silver button.

Paul C

drunkenspyder

Wow, I wonder when P1 will get around to fixing a few basic issues instead of items like this. Sad to see they still can't handle:

3. Corrected battery usage, most batteries show blinking icon and have between 20 and 25% actual power remaining
4. Live View broken, with Auto feature just blinking from totally over exposed to totally under exposed and doing this constantly
5. Play back broken with image being broken between 400 and 100 % view, impossible to view image
7. After a period of time all image playback after capture show up at 100% (broken view) instead of the 5% which is normal
8. Lack of tactile control between Triple tap to drop back from 100% to 5% view, many times multiple triple taps are required and often
no matter how man triple taps, screen will not drop back to 5% unless you hit upper left silver button.

Paul C
Agreed, though I ain't turning down the update. And there are some nice, if modest, improvements here.

earburner

Just a note on the battery front, I have notice that the new batteries that came with the back are more stable than my older ones.. :D
I think this is down to battery degradation and the IQ4 pull lots of power. Will have to see what fun awaits us with this update...

One thing I would like added is remembering AFR settings per lens, I have a few blue ring lenses, but also silver ring... when you swap, you have to turn it back on again

Gerd

Paul C
Complementing Paul's list - which I can fully support.

9. Red stripes in the LiveView during tethering with WLAN in the 2.4 GHz band.

10. Unexpected disconnections via Ethernet without PoE. IQ4 disconnects unexpectedly during runtime (probably a failure in the power save function). Ethernet with PoE has no errors.

11. Digital horizon out of sync in IQ4 <=> XF.

12. Capture Pilot support for IQ4 (adhoc wlan).

You can assign a fixed IP address to IQ4 via Capture One. This works until the IQ4 is turned off. After that it is dead and needs a factory reset.

There are other things that are not right, but I would like to first have the basic functionality of the camera - before going on little things on.

Greeting Gerd

Last edited:

onasj

I installed this firmware update on my XF+IQ4 (together, of course). I haven't had a chance to do extensive testing, but I did fire off a dozen frames or so with the XF with AFr on or off and everything seems to be working ok. I can't be certain with our more extensive testing, but I think some of the UI quirks introduced with the previous firmware (such as triple vs double tapping to zoom in 100 vs 400% being inconsistent depending on mode) may be less of an issue now, which would be a nice bug fix. Hopefully the split frame bug during image review has been fixed too... crossing fingers!

Slowly but surely, P1 is getting there.

Paul2660

Amen to Capture Pilot support via adhoc.

But I am still of the opinion this will most likely not happen. Adhoc would be a feature of the controller/main board and should have been there from day 1. Can’t see that being added without an EC type update. Hopefully I will be proven wrong. But the fact that we still don’t have a simple feature like auto rotate which should have been there day one gives me doubt.

The fact that P1 just decided to not bring Capture Pilot over to the IQ4 implies to me a bigger issue. Signature program which works with all other backs with WiFi is a non player for the IQ4.

Paul C

Gerd

There is another possibility - besides adhoc wlan.

Just about every WLAN can be - by software - turned into a HotSpot. Also the iPhone / iPad.

Here's a link: CLICK:

IQ4 immediately connects to the iPhone and gets an IP via DHCP. This works fine for me.

The problem is only - currently running on the IQ4 Back no capture server with which one could connect.

At the moment I am connecting to a Windows tablet where I have set up a HotSpot and where Capture One is running.
For me, the only way "currently" to get mobile LiveView.

Greeting Gerd

earburner

I cant see why they haven't implemented Capture One Pilot, after reverse engineering it on my IQ3 100, it is a simple webservice with get and post requests and motion JPG for live view. Implementing a webserver on ARM Linux is not the biggest challenge nor is creating an adhoc network... This either there is a hardware problem (unlikely), a licensing problem or they a trying to something new and its taking longer than planned...

Christopher

I find it sad that Phase One can’t get their Act together. The IQ4 launch was a disaster and you can try to spin it but it’s just the same at the end. I don’t get how bad a company can plan a product... we are now 7 months after release and there is still so much missing. I find it embarrassing that there still is no adhoc WiFi control... my must used feature on my Iq3.

I’m not even talking about all the promised stuff from their marketing... lab features, working close with us (customers) and so on.

My phase back work for me, but I for one can’t wait for my Fuji GFX 100.

Steve Hendrix

In some hands on today, I noted that the exposure Zone Tool is now combined with the Highlight Clipping Tool (in that they are both accessed form the same tool icon). This is handy, I suppose, having both tools accessible from one tool icon. The Highlight Clipping Tool (referred to as Masking Tool), also has added a shadow threshold slider to show shadow clipping. So you now with a single toolset have options for:

Zone Exposure Tool
- Tonal Exposure Readouts over 7 Zones in either RGB or F/Stop values

Clipping Tool (Masking)
- 2 Step Highlight Clipping (shows pink for completely blown area and red for the highlight threshold set by user)
- Shadow Clipping (shows shadow threshold, set by user preference)

A note of warning, this is new firmware, if you encounter anything unusual or what seems to be buggy behavior, please feed that back. I have noticed that zoomed live view seems to jerk after resolving to a different location than the one selected on one of our IQ4 150 units (have not tried on another unit yet).

Steve Hendrix/CI

Aviv1887

I have the behavior Steve was mentioning that the zoomed review of images is jumping and not staying at the designated area one tapped on. Makes focus checking very hard and annoying. I do not detect this behavior on the LV zooming in. FYI, this is on a IQ4150.