The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

XF Feature Update #4 Service Release 2

onasj

I have the behavior Steve was mentioning that the zoomed review of images is jumping and not staying at the designated area one tapped on. Makes focus checking very hard and annoying. I do not detect this behavior on the LV zooming in. FYI, this is on a IQ4150.
That might be the "split image review" bug I've mentioned before on this forum. For me, the image gets split into an upper half and a lower half, with one half coming from a DIFFERENT photo (usually the one before or the one after the current photo being reviewed). As you note, makes checking an image virtually impossible. Sometimes rebooting or restoring settings from default helps, but other times it doesn't. DT and P1 were kind enough to replace my first IQ4 that had this problem very frequently (almost every session in which I reviewed an image), and the replacement has exhibited the bug less frequently in my experience, but it still happens occasionally.

I hope Phase One appreciates the urgency and importance of getting their IQ4s working properly, and is deploying sufficient personnel and expertise to do so.

Steve Hendrix

That might be the "split image review" bug I've mentioned before on this forum. For me, the image gets split into an upper half and a lower half, with one half coming from a DIFFERENT photo (usually the one before or the one after the current photo being reviewed). As you note, makes checking an image virtually impossible. Sometimes rebooting or restoring settings from default helps, but other times it doesn't. DT and P1 were kind enough to replace my first IQ4 that had this problem very frequently (almost every session in which I reviewed an image), and the replacement has exhibited the bug less frequently in my experience, but it still happens occasionally.

I hope Phase One appreciates the urgency and importance of getting their IQ4s working properly, and is deploying sufficient personnel and expertise to do so.

This playback jerking when zooming that I described appears to be a separate issue directly related to this firmware, as the IQ4 150 unit that we installed it on did not exhibit the behavior you were experiencing. It jerks to a different spot in the same image.

Steve Hendrix/CI

onasj

I encountered this IQ4 bug tonight while using the XF and a custom-made "medium format Noctilux" (more on this amazing lens later!) and I can confirm, as Steve noted below, that it's different than the "split-image" bug. This bug is definitely tied to certain recorded image files, so the images before the bugged ones scroll just fine at 100% but the bugged images will always jump to another location in the image when zoomed in, making review impossible. Rebooting the back or removing and reinserting the XQD card or saving and restoring system settings does not fix the problem.

Because I'm not aware of any way to review the images with this bug using the back, it's quite a serious bug that really needs to be fixed ASAP, as others have reported in this thread. Thankfully, transferring to my computer with C1 worked fine, so the images are not corrupted as far as my computer can tell.

Interestingly, I did not experience this bug with the same IQ4 back and firmware using my Alpa, which makes me wonder if the bug might require the XF to occur; perhaps others can support or disprove this hypothesis.

This playback jerking when zooming that I described appears to be a separate issue directly related to this firmware, as the IQ4 150 unit that we installed it on did not exhibit the behavior you were experiencing. It jerks to a different spot in the same image.

Steve Hendrix/CI

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
So is this bug serious enough those that haven’t installed yet should wait? Sounds serious enough Phase should pull the update and reissue when the resolve it.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
As a lurker, albeit a very interested upgrading my IQ3100 to the IQ4 platform, I’m still holding off until it’s all fixed.

onasj

A key discovery (I think?) about this new bug with the IQ4 latest firmware (v2.00.20): it happens 100% of the time when I take a vertical (portrait) orientation shot, and ~0% of the time when I take a landscape orientation shot. So the bug is in rendering a vertically captured image when zoomed in.

This bug makes the IQ4 pretty much unusable for taking vertical orientation shots, in my opinion, unless you are ok only reviewing these shots on a computer instead of on your camera.

Hopefully someone at Phase One can issue a fixed firmware as soon as possible.

Steve Hendrix

A key discovery (I think?) about this new bug with the IQ4 latest firmware (v2.00.20): it happens 100% of the time when I take a vertical (portrait) orientation shot, and ~0% of the time when I take a landscape orientation shot. So the bug is in rendering a vertically captured image when zoomed in.

This bug makes the IQ4 pretty much unusable for taking vertical orientation shots, in my opinion, unless you are ok only reviewing these shots on a computer instead of on your camera.

Hopefully someone at Phase One can issue a fixed firmware as soon as possible.

Yes, thank you for this, we confirmed the same thing and our firmware page has been updated to reflect this.

Hopefully, with such an obvious glitch, Phase One comes out with an update quickly. And then gets back to work on future firmware updates.

Steve Hendrix/CI

Craig Stocks

Has anyone tested tethering over ethernet? The connection I tested before upgrading worked fine but it doesn't work the same after the upgrade. I can get it to connect if I attach directly to the switch at the computer but not if I connect elsewhere on the network.

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
Yes, thank you for this, we confirmed the same thing and our firmware page has been updated to reflect this.

Hopefully, with such an obvious glitch, Phase One comes out with an update quickly. And then gets back to work on future firmware updates.

Steve Hendrix/CI
So I assume those that haven’t updated should wait.

Gerd

Has anyone tested tethering over ethernet? The connection I tested before upgrading worked fine but it doesn't work the same after the upgrade. I can get it to connect if I attach directly to the switch at the computer but not if I connect elsewhere on the network.
I look at this today I have not tried it with the new firmware. Before the upgrade it was so that only Ethernet connections with PoE ran stable. For Ethernet connections without PoE IQ4 disconnects the connection very often.

Greeting Gerd

onasj

Steve,

Your firmware page link doesn't work (says not allowed to view drafts).

Steve Hendrix/CI

Gerd

Hello Craig,

I have tested it now. Ethernet with PoE and without PoE works the same as before the upgrade. I have not found any special mistakes. IQ4 sends a DHCP request, the DHCP server assigns a fixed IP address via the registered MAC address and in Capture One the camera can be selected.

What's the problem?
Ethernet without PoE - IQ4 disconnects unexpectedly from time to time. This is probably a power save problem. IQ4 does not turn off but puts the Ethernet interface to sleep.

Failover between Wi-Fi and Ethernet does not work, as stated by Phase One in some videos. The problem here is Capture One. Capture One does not automatically switch the host connection, and IQ4 has a LAN or Wi-Fi connection in a failover, but no valid host connection. You then have to manually re-select the host / camera connection in Capture One. This may be an Apple Bonjour (Multicast) issue on Windows.

I tried two different IQ4 backs - there was no difference.

Greeting Gerd

Last edited:

stevenfr

I found this on DT's website

There is currently a bug in the firmware when you preview an image on an IQ4 LCD that was shot in the vertical orientation, the scaling does not function properly when zooming in past 10%, and the preview section jumps to another part of the image. A current workaround is to go into Menu > File Settings > Image Orientation and change the setting from “Auto” to “0°“. This will force the digital back to preview all images in landscape orientation, which does not suffer from the scaling issue from our testing.

https://www.dtcommercialphoto.com/phase-one-xf-firmware-update-4-02-7/

Steve Hendrix

Steve,

Your firmware page link doesn't work (says not allowed to view drafts).

Thanks, it seems that I can't edit a post after a certain period of time, so it's the same link that was posted earlier in the thread, which is repeated below (it just adds the wording that points to the bug).

https://captureintegration.com/new-firmware-for-phase-one/

As far as whether to recommend or not, that's the only bug we've really seen, but it's pretty much a deal breaker for anyone who shoots vertically and wants to review playback. If you're not in that group, then I don't see anything else to be concerned about. Not saying - hey, other than that, this is great! Just saying that is the issue and for most, that means it's a no go, but I don't want to assume that for everyone.

Steve Hendrix/Ci

mpsa

Thanks, it seems that I can't edit a post after a certain period of time, so it's the same link that was posted earlier in the thread, which is repeated below (it just adds the wording that points to the bug).

https://captureintegration.com/new-firmware-for-phase-one/

As far as whether to recommend or not, that's the only bug we've really seen, but it's pretty much a deal breaker for anyone who shoots vertically and wants to review playback. If you're not in that group, then I don't see anything else to be concerned about. Not saying - hey, other than that, this is great! Just saying that is the issue and for most, that means it's a no go, but I don't want to assume that for everyone.

Steve Hendrix/Ci
For Phase One to fluff the launch, then fluff a minor update with a glaring error, without fixing all the other issues, suggests that there is something seriously amiss at the company. It’s not one understandable mistake. It’s hard to know these things, but I worry that behind the scenes, the company is floundering. How else can this shambles be explained?

onasj

Honestly, I share your worry, even though I'm a huge fan and supporter of Phase One. It would be reassuring to hear a forward-looking plan from Phase One about their firmware fixes and update strategy for the IQ4. Even something like "we know we are short-staffed, but we are actively hiring firmware programmers to address this issue" would be wonderful to hear.

For Phase One to fluff the launch, then fluff a minor update with a glaring error, without fixing all the other issues, suggests that there is something seriously amiss at the company. It’s not one understandable mistake. It’s hard to know these things, but I worry that behind the scenes, the company is floundering. How else can this shambles be explained?

onasj

The best pseudo-fix is to turn off autorotation under Image Rotation in the menu (set it to zero). Then reboot the back. The only downside of this pseudo-fix is you have to manually rotate your images in Capture One during post.

But yes, it would be great if P1 would issue a stable and bug-free IQ4 firmware soon!