The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Looking for Hassy X1D users and Fuji GFX 50 S Users to compare

rollsman44

I have used the GFX 50S and like it a lot. IQ excellent and lenses are reasonable and Great lenses. Just want to see if I am
missing anything that the X1D has other than a Higher Price. Portraits and group shots are my Main work and some landscapes. Thanks

SrMphoto

I have used the GFX 50S and like it a lot. IQ excellent and lenses are reasonable and Great lenses. Just want to see if I am
missing anything that the X1D has other than a Higher Price. Portraits and group shots are my Main work and some landscapes. Thanks
I have both. Very simplified and IMO: X1D has better ergonomics, is smaller and lighter and has a better choice of primes; GFX50S has angled viewfinder, focus bracketing and good zooms.
If you have one of the systems, I do not see a reason to switch to the other. If you want to learn more about X1D I recommend Vieri's review.

drunkenspyder

Ditto on reading Vieri's review. I rented all three—50S, 50R, and X1D—before deciding. Admittedly, I rented the X1D more than once, and was able to use it also during a workshop. All three can produce excellent images. But I could not warm up to the Fuji for several usability reasons, and my repeated rental of the Hassy told me a lot. I bought it last month.

drunkenspyder

I posted a comparison here after using both cameras. Vieri's review of the X1D is more in-depth and I highly recommend it. After using the GFX 50S along with several GF lenses, I sold that kit and kept the X1D (which I've been using since early 2017). While the X1D kit is missing some of the bells and whistles of the Fuji GFX cameras, it is so much more fun to use. For me, the most glaring missing piece of the X1D puzzle is the previously announced (November 2017) XCD 35-75mm zoom lens. My venture into GFX-land was motivated to a large extent by the availability of the GF 32-64mm lens. That lens is a stellar performer but the combined weight and bulk of the GFX 50S and GF 32-64mm lens were more than I could comfortably carry. Good luck with your decision.

Joe
Joe:
I recall reading your review after my first rental of the X1D and before my rental of the Fujis. Your green highlights are like a well-documented wish list. One of the points you make well is Fuji’s demonstrated delivery reliability, particularly in their lens lineup. Fuji may well have all three zooms out before Hasselblad delivers even one. And no one probably needs reminding that Fuji is practically a glass house in comparison to Hasselblad’s black hole of communication. Still, for me, there is nothing quite like shooting with the X1D. If the “X2D” is actually delivered with significant improvements, it will put real pressure on the Phase’s “living quarters” in my backpack.

Boinger

I have the X1d and bought the GFX 50R as well.

I tried the 50R for a week or two and ended up keeping the X1d and got rid of the 50R. It was just to bulky when you get used to the form factor of the X1D.

But it did have nice features like face detect and better AF options imo.

But the size is what pushed me to the X1d.

Also I think for the kind of photography I do the X1d had better noise performance. (low light night photography)

The GFX has more noise for smiliar ISO.

Also GFX exposes 1/3rd stop darker than the X1d.

I am suspecting its due to the 80% fill on microlenses.

I have both the GFX50S and X1D, but I have only owned the X1D for a month or so.

The GFX for me is the workhorse of the family and what I will use for my fitness, portraits and food photography work. Mostly because it is just faster for me to work with it and I have the lenses I need at the moment. For landscape work I will also use the GFX because of the zooms and the tilting screen.

So when do I use the X1D?

That will be for travel photography (it is lighter) and more creating work. The GFX felt too much like work work work and I realised I stopped doing more creating stuff even if it just taking my camera for a walk. The X1D is an absolute joy to use :)