The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rodenstock 138mm Initial Impressions and Info

Steve Hendrix

We had a chance to play with a prototype Rodenstock 138mm lens recently. This particular unit was mounted in the new Rodenstock Aperture Mount.

Below is the write up on first impressions.

https://captureintegration.com/first-look-rodenstock-138mm-hr-w-in-aperture-mount/

Given the pricing (and to be fair, the performance), I would say this lens is not only Dante Approved, but is a candidate for the Dante Honors Category.

Steve Hendrix/CI

Last edited:

vjbelle

Steve..... as I understand it this lens is 'ONLY' available with the Helical (because of the floating element) which makes it more expensive, heavier and longer. Actus/Arca MF2 users have to establish a rough infinity and then rely on the helical for all focus. To me kind of a PITA but that's how it goes.

I mention this because I failed to find this information in your review.

Victor

Steve Hendrix

Steve..... as I understand it this lens is 'ONLY' available with the Helical (because of the floating element) which makes it more expensive, heavier and longer. Actus/Arca MF2 users have to establish a rough infinity and then rely on the helical for all focus. To me kind of a PITA but that's how it goes.

I mention this because I failed to find this information in your review.

Victor

Hi Victor -

Thanks for mentioning this, I did discuss this in the section below the current HR lineup. Apologies if I did not word this clearly. And yes, unfortunate that that's the way it is, but on the other side, you gain consistently amazing performance regardless of subject distance.

Steve Hendrix/CI

beano_z

Having a soft spot for nice lenses, I'm so glad that neither the focal length nor the close focus abilities are properties I need for what I shoot, otherwise I'd be racking up chores around the house already, ouch!

But it does look like a fantastic piece of gear and I can't wait to see the 'real' results from the community here....er wait, maybe not, because that's where the poison gets spread :cry: