The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Vegas - recommendations sought

Ed Hurst

Hello all,

I don't know if this is an acceptable thing to post - my apologies if not!

In July, I will be going on a business trip to Las Vegas and I plan to shoot one of my city star trail images. Should be a nice challenge, with all the bright lights of the city!

Never having shot there before, I am keen to make good use of the opportunity. If anyone here knows the city, I wonder if you would be able to advise on vantage points - and their accessibility at night. I have seen some reference images on Google Images (I don't, obviously, have copyright on these pictures, but the linked files are online and have their own copyright statements). Can anyone advise on the accessibility of these vantage points at night?

Again, if any of this isn't acceptable, please accept my apologies in advance.

The reference images are:
1) Still image at top of this page - https://www.emerictimelapse.com/las-vegas/4k-las-vegas-skyline-at-night-tilting
or this https://www.emerictimelapse.com/las-vegas/hd-las-vegas-aerial-city-skyline-at-night

2) The fifth image on this page: https://unsplash.com/search/photos/las-vegas

3) Group of Las Vegas Night Wallpaper Hd

All the best,
Ed

stevenfr

Ed

I don’t know Vegas locations. Just looking at the linked images, I am sure you will come back with images better than these, given your abilities and vision.

Steven

Ed Hurst

Ed

I don’t know Vegas locations. Just looking at the linked images, I am sure you will come back with images better than these, given your abilities and vision.

Steven
Thanks Steven! I am flattered. I make no comment on the images - they are merely used as examples of locations I have in mind, wondering whether they are accessible to the public :)

Pemihan

You could probably shoot from some elevated spaces near or at The Strip. If I remember correctly there's a parking building across from The Venetian with a pedestrian bridge crossing The Strip.
Another option would of course be to book a room high up in one of the big hotels. Mandala Bay and Luxor is at the far end of The Strip so those would give you a nice view. I don't know if you can shoot through a window though.

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
1 and 2 look like they were taken from City Center, couple up high maybe from one of the condos. Not sure if you can get that clean of a view from the Aria, which is the hotel there. Might be if you can get a north east room.

I don’t think the Luxor will get you high enough for a view, not sure about Mandalay Bay, maybe too far from the strip and too far from the Paris (Eiffel Tower) and the big Ferris wheel.

There are lots of nice angles and shots to be had using the Bellagio fountain area as a foreground. quite a few of the shots in number 3 look like they were taken from around the Bellagio fountains. There are some nice views from the Bellagio and from the Paris if you get high enough and facing the right direction. I've never stayed at the Wynn but it might have some nice views if you can get a south facing window on the tower near the strip.

some local photographers have been able to arrange for roof access to some of the hotel towers, but probably have to know someone to pull that off.

Jan

At the end of the day, all places are accessible, the question to answer is how easy or difficult is it to get access.

Of course if anyone could help you out providing an answer that would be great, as an alternative you should consider using Google Maps which can be of great help in finding shooting locations; I've done so successfully quite a few times.

The biggest challenges I came across is not so much the access, it is the fact that when I obtain access to certain places finding out tripods are not allowed.

Good luck in your preparations. If you see Elvis, please do let me know ;-)

Jeffrey

Ed, like so many other cities, Las Vegas will be a hunt to find the treasures. I have no recommendations. However, with your keen eye, you will find many amazing images that I cannot wait to see!

Ed Hurst

Thank you so much, everyone, for the helpful and generous advice! It's taken me a while to reply because my work schedule has prevented much time for being online - but really does mean a lot to me. If I get anything good, I'll be in posting it in due course.

You guys are great :thumbup: