The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad Teaser and Upcoming Announcement

pedro39photo

When the teaser its a "gold" shutter button...ring some old bad bells about hasselblad habits...
Style and rich exhibitionism. above evolution and development...

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
When the teaser its a "gold" shutter button...ring some old bad bells about hasselblad habits...
Style and rich exhibitionism. above evolution and development...
That's exactly what the current X1D button looks like. Sorry to disappoint.

dave.gt

Looks like Hasselblad posted a potential new gear teaser today on instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BysIyPIoTl-/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

their homepage is also showing a countdown to 19 JUNE 2019 14:00 CEST / 8:00 AM EDT:

https://www.hasselblad.com/

Seems we'll have more info on what they've been up to in a few days :thumbs::watch::watch::watch::watch::watch::watch::watch:
The key words are:

"New Chapter"....

Hopefully the angst will slow down with the remarks. We now see that Hasselblad has been busy as was suspected all along, with their new policy of releasing info when the product is ready.:salute:

What can it be?:):):)

Time will tell!:thumbup:

drunkenspyder

To me, it is encouraging to see the X1D form factor and shutter button featured front and center in the teaser. If the functionality and IQ are truly improved inside the same body, that will be sweet. Been shooting with both the Phase and the Hassy this week in NZ. And while I love both, and the IQ4’s huge files, I carry the X1D as I haul the Phase. The Hassy is a real joy to use. And a shout out to #Vieri for his recommendation of the Formatt High Tech 85mm system. The whole kit—filter holder and multiple filters, including grads, inside its just-right pouch—fits in a jacket pocket.

hcubell

"Next chapter" in Hasselblad's history.
"Expanding the Hasselblad experience."
"Throughout our history, we have evolved the medium format photography experience."

My guess is a new version of the X1D (duh) and a brand new product out of left field, like a Hasselblad FF camera that uses the L Mount or is something like a Leica Q. Or, a total surprise like a new MF mirrorless body that uses the same 150MP Sony sensor as the Phase IQ4 150. What I seriously doubt is that this will just be a slight refresh of the X1D with the same Sony 50MP sensor. That would be a serious case of overpromise/underdeliver. After all of these months of silence, that would not go over well.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
50% transparency overlay with an iPhone shot of my X1D. Looks pretty identical...

Matt

Last edited:

Christopher

I really really hope it’s a 100Mp Version with great AF. Now that package around 10k would be huge and a great play against Fuji. I probably won’t buy one right away, but I would be really interested in renting one and using it more often.

I hope it won’t be a MK2 with 50MP and I really hope it won’t be 15k or so.

jerome_m

I really really hope it’s a 100Mp Version with great AF. Now that package around 10k would be huge and a great play against Fuji. I probably won’t buy one right away, but I would be really interested in renting one and using it more often.

A MK2 with 100Mp and better AF is likely, as the 100 Mp chip is available and does on chip phase AF. As to the price, Hasselblad sees themselves more in the luxury segment than Fuji does, so is likely to be more expensive.

onasj

Not that my vote matters to Hasselblad at this point, but if the X1Dm2 uses the 100 MP BSI sensor I will buy one, along with a full set of Hassy's best lenses. If it's a refresh of the X1D using any sensor other than a current-generation BSI sensor, I'll pass (but still root for Hassy to succeed since having multiple successful MF products is good for the industry and thus consumers, ultimately).

P. Chong

For me, I am hoping for the following:

1. a bigger buffer or more powerful processor, so that that 1s blackout after every shot is eliminated. Added bonus if that the power up time is also shortened.
2. IBIS.
3. 50Mp sensor at current size is good enough for me, but BSI would be nice.
4. a true 1:1 macro lens, or at least extension tubes to allow say the 80mm reach 1:1. And other accessories like TS would be a further bonus.
5. Phocus be easier and faster...one can hope. :)

I hope the form factor and the menu system don't change. To me, they are as perfect as can be. The X1D body makes me wanna pick it up and go shoot. Something the H bodies do not. That in itself, makes the X1D an almost perfect camera.

vieri

To me, it is encouraging to see the X1D form factor and shutter button featured front and center in the teaser. If the functionality and IQ are truly improved inside the same body, that will be sweet. Been shooting with both the Phase and the Hassy this week in NZ. And while I love both, and the IQ4’s huge files, I carry the X1D as I haul the Phase. The Hassy is a real joy to use. And a shout out to #Vieri for his recommendation of the Formatt High Tech 85mm system. The whole kit—filter holder and multiple filters, including grads, inside its just-right pouch—fits in a jacket pocket.
You are very welcome, I am glad you are enjoying the 85mm Formatt-Hitech Firecrest system :)

1. a bigger buffer or more powerful processor, so that that 1s blackout after every shot is eliminated. Added bonus if that the power up time is also shortened.
2. IBIS.
4. a true 1:1 macro lens, or at least extension tubes to allow say the 80mm reach 1:1. And other accessories like TS would be a further bonus.

I hope the form factor and the menu system don't change. To me, they are as perfect as can be. The X1D body makes me wanna pick it up and go shoot. Something the H bodies do not. That in itself, makes the X1D an almost perfect camera.
Well, for what is worth I think that:

1. Power up time will be shorter, that's very likely to happen; between-shot blackout, I think, depends in part from the leaf shutter mechanism's need to re-cock after a shot, and if this is true I am afraid they'll be able to speed it just up to a point;
2. Not enough room for that to happen in the same form-factor body, I am afraid, unless there has been some incredible advance in tech that will surprise us;
3. I am really not sure about what'll happen with this one - logic and marketing would tell that you need more MP in a new model, however I wouldn't mind a "Mark II" with a 50 MP sensor, even the same one with improved / sped up circuitry; something in between is also possible, of course, but less likely I think;
4. I think this announcement will be about a camera body only, but I might be wrong and accessories such as extension tubes are easy to do;
5. Don't know about that :)

I completely agree with keeping the form factor as it is. In fact, I would be pretty disappointed if they changed it :)

Best regards,

Vieri

SrMphoto

2. IBIS.

2) As others mentioned, if we want the same form factor it is unlikely that IBIS will be included.
3) Why do you care about BSI? There is no data that it helps with big sensors.
4) Fotodiox is already offering extension tubes (20mm and 48mm): https://fotodioxpro.com/products/macrotube-auto-xcd48

jduncan

Hi,

I will suggest setting the expectations pretty low.
The reason for that, in my opinion are:

1. Ming Thein had problems to make the board understand the need for a fast cycle. They did not get that an item that expensive should be changed so soon. This tell me they do not understand the market and that this is the last time MF will have a. 2x resolution avenge against the main FF systems. You either move people to your platform this cycle or you are death. Also even if MF (44x33mm) gets a 2X resolution avenge nobody will care with. 70+megapixels FF systems.

2. They are calling it the. X1D something something, not the X2D according to public records. Of course it could be that we will both a X1D and a X2D.

3. It's Hasselblad and they have an uncanny ability to disappoint.

4. If one expect little and gets a lot your are double happy.

Notice that the board did not understood the need for fast lenses, and we have them, so maybe he also succeed persuading them of the need for a competitive system.
We also have the DJI involvement. They don't need introduction in terms of competitive electronic controls, so there is a little hope.

In few days we will know, I hope it's a bright day and not "the straw that broke the camel's back".

One link that can help support my views, before passionate people conclude that I hate HB or something: https://blog.mingthein.com/tag/hasselblad/

Best regards,

Last edited:

jduncan

You are very welcome, I am glad you are enjoying the 85mm Formatt-Hitech Firecrest system :)

Well, for what is worth I think that:

3. I am really not sure about what'll happen with this one - logic and marketing would tell that you need more MP in a new model, however I wouldn't mind a "Mark II" with a 50 MP sensor, even the same one with improved / sped up circuitry; something in between is also possible, of course, but less likely I think;

Best regards,

Vieri
I disagree if it's a 50MP sensor and no announcement about the. 100MP coming soon, people should be concerned and discreetly sale the system before is too late. It will clearly show that HB management continue to have no clue or that they are in mode "milk the cow as it dies" mode. It's not about "needs" only it's about not getting tramp in a death end with. 10s of thousand of dollars in equipment.

The optics of a. 50MP being HB flagship, at this moment in time, are so bad that they will be unable to lore new costumers.

We know from Ming that the board did not understood why they should invest in a new platform so soon (a product so expensive with a short cycle), but they did not understood the need for fast glass and they did the lenses anyway.
So there is a little hope.

best regards,

jduncan

"Next chapter" in Hasselblad's history.
"Expanding the Hasselblad experience."
"Throughout our history, we have evolved the medium format photography experience."

My guess is a new version of the X1D (duh) and a brand new product out of left field, like a Hasselblad FF camera that uses the L Mount or is something like a Leica Q. Or, a total surprise like a new MF mirrorless body that uses the same 150MP Sony sensor as the Phase IQ4 150. What I seriously doubt is that this will just be a slight refresh of the X1D with the same Sony 50MP sensor. That would be a serious case of overpromise/underdeliver. After all of these months of silence, that would not go over well.

If they deliver a Mirrorless with he 150MP it will be a killer application.
I am not positive that the mount will allow something like that, but if it does it will be quite something.
I don't expect anything extraordinary on the other hand.

best regards.