The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad Teaser and Upcoming Announcement

hcubell

Hi,

I will suggest setting the expectations pretty low.
The reason for that, in my opinion are:

1. Ming Thein had problems to make the board understand the need for a fast cycle. They did not get that an item that expensive should be changed so soon. This tell me they do not understand the market and that this is the last time MF will have a. 2x resolution avenge against the main FF systems. You either move people to your platform this cycle or you are death. Also even if MF (44x33mm) gets a 2X resolution avenge nobody will care with. 70+megapixels FF systems.

2. They are calling it the. X1D something something, not the X2D according to public records. Of course it could be that we will both a X1D and a X2D.

3. It's Hasselblad and they have an uncanny ability to disappoint.

4. If one expect little and gets a lot your are double happy.

Notice that the board did not understood the need for fast lenses, and we have them, so maybe he also succeed persuading them of the need for a competitive system.
We also have the DJI involvement. They don't need introduction in terms of competitive electronic controls, so there is a little hope.

In few days we will know, I hope it's a bright day and not "the straw that broke the camel's back".

Best regards,
I do have a recollection from when Ming Thein was Chief of Strategy at Hasselblad that someone commented on his blog that Hasselblad should issue a new X1D model with the 100MP Sony sensor, and he was uncharacteristically dismissive of the poster and the need to increase the MP count. IIRC, that was last Summer or so, and the plans around a new X1D were probably cast in stone by that point. FWIW, probably little.

Last edited:

SrMphoto

Hasselblad continues to "reveal" the new model on their Instagram account (today it's the lens release button).

Personally, I am expecting a 50Mp model with faster behavior and various tuning. Focus bracketing would be nice, though.

JeRuFo

If Hasselblad can get their 100MP version without IBIS but with phase detection in the store before Fuji does, they might get a good first run, because that would be a take anywhere camera.

DougDolde

Except that going from 50 to 100 megapixels does not double the resolution, you'd need 4x for that. It would only double the megapixel count

vjbelle

IBIS is likely to stay a Fuji exclusive at the moment. Hasselblad competes on the form factor.
But without IBIS the whole idea of the smaller form factor falls way too short. 100MP without IBIS is just crazy as there will be few if any circumstances where high quality handheld images will be possible - and that's what the small form factor is all about. Granted the GFX 100 will be much larger but it does have IBIS.... and that's a big deal.

But no matter what they have to come out with a higher MP sensor otherwise they are left behind. It's a beautiful system that can/will evolve to meet all requirements over time.

Victor

JeRuFo

But without IBIS the whole idea of the smaller form factor falls way too short. 100MP without IBIS is just crazy as there will be few if any circumstances where high quality handheld images will be possible - and that's what the small form factor is all about. Granted the GFX 100 will be much larger but it does have IBIS.... and that's a big deal.

But no matter what they have to come out with a higher MP sensor otherwise they are left behind. It's a beautiful system that can/will evolve to meet all requirements over time.

Victor
With me it's the other way around. IBIS would be great in a small form factor, but I would much rather take an X2D on a hike than a GFX 100 which is big because it has a bunch of stuff I don't need to shoot landscapes. Having room for lunch and a sweater along with a camera and two lenses in a small backpack would make it perfect for me. I shoot from a tripod anyway, 5 stops is not enough to me for serious landscape work.

stngoldberg

Victor
IBIS is a great feature; and not to be argumentative, I hand hold my H5X and 100mpx P1 back with high quality images even with a 300mm lens with 1.7 extender attached.
Stanley

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
But without IBIS the whole idea of the smaller form factor falls way too short. 100MP without IBIS is just crazy as there will be few if any circumstances where high quality handheld images will be possible
It's not hard to hand hold high res. You simply need a bit faster shutter speed the higher you go.

We wrote about this in the context of hand holding 150mp.

P. Chong

2. As it is, the X1D is rather hand holdable. So IBIS is a nice bonus. But if its a toss up between current form and IBIS, I would prefer the X1D to stay with current physical form.
3. BSI. Its high time the Sony 50Mp sensor gets updated, and if it does, it should be to the latest tech. And BSI is technically more elegant as well.
4. Ah...wasn't aware of that. Might give it a try. Thanks.

2) As others mentioned, if we want the same form factor it is unlikely that IBIS will be included.
3) Why do you care about BSI? There is no data that it helps with big sensors.
4) Fotodiox is already offering extension tubes (20mm and 48mm): https://fotodioxpro.com/products/macrotube-auto-xcd48

vieri

I disagree if it's a 50MP sensor and no announcement about the. 100MP coming soon, people should be concerned and discreetly sale the system before is too late. It will clearly show that HB management continue to have no clue or that they are in mode "milk the cow as it dies" mode. It's not about "needs" only it's about not getting tramp in a death end with. 10s of thousand of dollars in equipment.

The optics of a. 50MP being HB flagship, at this moment in time, are so bad that they will be unable to lore new costumers.

We know from Ming that the board did not understood why they should invest in a new platform so soon (a product so expensive with a short cycle), but they did not understood the need for fast glass and they did the lenses anyway.
So there is a little hope.

best regards,
Please, don't confuse what "you" want with actual reality and with other may want, that very seldom coincides :)

There are many photographers for whom 50 MP is plenty, and would love other / better features and enhancements in the same X1D body with the same pixel count. The idea that a 50 MP announcement would mean that H is dead and you would be "getting tramp in a dead end" is simply ludicrous: the only thing such an announcement would mean is that there will be photographers liking the idea and the direction the X1D is going, and buying the camera, and others that won't like it, and won't buy it. I bet that such a camera, priced right, would - contrarily to what you so assuredly assume - convince people that loved the X1D but didn't get it because of quirks / bugs / performance issues for their photography and so on to buy it, adding to the equation that since the X1D's launch the system is pretty complete as far as lenses and accessories. If a good upgrade path will be offered, it would probably convince many X1D owners to upgrade as well.

If something like this will happen, you'd probably be in the camp of those who won't buy it, I assume. What will then happen is this: if the buyers group is large enough, H will prosper. If it's not, H will reconsider their strategy. That's it, everything else is your opinion, which is fine as long as you don't confuse it with absolute truth.

Best regards,

Vieri

jerome_m

There are plenty of things we may want, but the engineer cannot build. I would say that IBIS in a X1D form factor is one of them. I would also say that this forum demographics aren't probably representative of the market for the X1D. The camera was marketed as a luxury product. For that market, the small form factor, square shape and design are important. From the images published in the teaser, we know that the design of the new camera will be related to the design of the black version of the X1D.

As to pixel count and on chip AF, Hasselblad is dependent on Sony for these functions. On Sony Semiconductor's web site, the only chip with the correct form factor has 100 millions pixels and PDAF. A chip that size with 50 millions pixels and PDAF does not exist.

Last but not least, I would expect a better viewfinder and faster processor.

MrSmith

HB have DJI know how at their disposal who know how to do image stabilisation, while they may not release a new camera with it they have access to technical knowledge to see if it’s feasible.

drevil

Staff member
HB have DJI know how at their disposal who know how to do image stabilisation, while they may not release a new camera with it they have access to technical knowledge to see if it’s feasible.
uhm they do? they have gimbal technology, too big for the hassy, and they have electronic IS in their osmo action, not really good for non video application.

interesting to see if and how they implement IS in their 100mp camera

JeRuFo

uhm they do? they have gimbal technology, too big for the hassy, and they have electronic IS in their osmo action, not really good for non video application.

interesting to see if and how they implement IS in their 100mp camera
No, they don't at the moment, but they do have the expertise to pull something like that off. But I don't see it coming to the XCD soon, maybe the H, but the market is probably too small to cover the cost of development. Expanding the video capabilities could be interesting though, for DJI too, the form factor is perfect for gimbal (and possibly drone) use. Like an overgrown Sony a7, a jack of all trades.