The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad Teaser and Upcoming Announcement

vjbelle

I really hoped for more... even though I am invested in the GFX I wanted something really bold from Hasselblad. There is nothing better for the camera market than good competition. I fear the GFX100 got none to day.
Couldn't agree more. I too had wished for more from them. It's not easy competing with a giant like Fuji.....

Victor

drevil

Staff member
really interesting to see they actually went with the 50mp sensor again

and the 907x is a mini alpa

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
They kept it small and light. I'd MUCH rather that than the GFX100 size and weight for another 50MP. Anyone find a weight for the CFV II 50C?

Abstraction

This announcement has left me scratching my head by the things they didn't say as well as the things they announced:

1. Given that Sony doesn't have a 50mp 33x44 sensor on its production map, does that mean that they're using the old sensor or have they moved away from Sony to a different sensor manufacturer?
  2. No 100mp announcement seems that a decision has been made not to compete with Fuji directly.
  3. No 150mp H-back announcement. Has the H system been abandoned? Even the development of the new back is 33x44 and the new camera will be compatible with X lenses.
  4. The $5700 price tag has just sent the original X1D prices to... less than that. Although, it goes to figure that they had to do something about the price in order to compete. A $10,000 price tag for a 50mp sensor wouldn't cut it.
  5. Seems as though they have decided to totally commit themselves to the X system with a nod to the V system. That's where their future lies - sleek, small portable cameras that don't necessarily push the boundaries of performance. It may also be a sign of market maturation, an acknowledgement that 50mp is good enough.

onasj

While Hassy did release a new (manual only) V camera, overall the announcement is a major disappointment to me. Based on the information released, it seems very likely that both new sensor-equipped Hassy products use the 50 MP (non-BSI) IMX161 sensor that Sony developed quite a while ago, and that has been in consumer cameras for the past three years (including the original X1D).

Hassy’s latest products are now a full sensor generation behind the competition. While some companies can still tread water releasing 35-mm cameras with outdated sensor performance characteristics (cough cough Leica cough cough), the MF market is different in that MF users tend to prioritize image quality very highly—thus their willingness to pay a premium and lug around much larger systems than the many outstanding 35 mm outfits. While the IMX161 is a good sensor that can deliver excellent images, it lags well behind the IMX461 BSI (GFX100) and IMX411 BSI (IQ4) sensors in terms of noise level, dynamic range, and color shift.

Hassy’s original camera designs are compelling and impeccable. I just wish they used equally state-of-the-art internals for actual image capture!

Not a good day for any MF fan, I fear, as more competition and more innovation is good for all involved.

jduncan

Looks like Hasselblad posted a potential new gear teaser today on instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BysIyPIoTl-/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

their homepage is also showing a countdown to 19 JUNE 2019 14:00 CEST / 8:00 AM EDT:

https://www.hasselblad.com/

Seems we'll have more info on what they've been up to in a few days :thumbs::watch::watch::watch::watch::watch::watch::watch:
Hi,

I did type a bunch of crap agains the company and their lack of understanding. there is hope, if they really sustain the. 5K price that means that is a competitor to the title Fuji, not to the. 100MP one.
The platform is much more improved in every regards, and it could be a good basis for the 100MP X2D.

I hope this change of heard of mine don't prove to be me being foolish and easy to turn.

Best regards,

Last edited:

Christopher

I’m pretty sure it’s the 5 year old sensor. I find the CFV very interesting, however, here a 100Mp sensor would have been much more interesting...

I’m just glad I’m invested in Phase and not the H system...

jduncan

Looks like Hasselblad posted a potential new gear teaser today on instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BysIyPIoTl-/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

their homepage is also showing a countdown to 19 JUNE 2019 14:00 CEST / 8:00 AM EDT:

https://www.hasselblad.com/

Seems we'll have more info on what they've been up to in a few days :thumbs::watch::watch::watch::watch::watch::watch::watch:

Hi,

The CFV II and 907X look pretty good. If they have the proper pricing they could become a hit.

Best regards,

tcdeveau

I definitely have mixed feelings about the announcement.

Glad to finally see the zoom, and it was priced around I expected. I've been waiting for this one for a long time. My preorder is in.

The X1DII saved me quite a bit of GAS. Sucks that the value of the existing X1D just plummeted but....so it goes. I knew when I bought my X1D it is destined to be an expensive paperweight at some point, but for now I will continue to enjoy it and don't have to worry about upgrade envy. The X1DII is priced fairly competitively and will make a lot of ppl that were looking to jump into the system happy.

Pretty disappointed and surprised in general that they stuck with the 50mp sensor. However....

Aside from the CFVII 50c being only 50mp, I realized this is a back/system that would allow me to use my existing XCD lenses (21/45/65/90), Alpa STC, and 40/70mm Rodies with one back (and I've always wanted a 500 series)....and it appears to have an integrated battery AND an articulating screen. That is pretty awesome for tech cam use. And phocus mobile 2 looks awesome. Being able to import and edit RAW on the iPad Pro is awesome. Depending on price and availability, I may have to jump on that.

Still disappointed they didn't go with the 100mp IMX461 but it is what it is.

tcdeveau

Hi,

The CFV II and 907X look pretty good. If they have the proper pricing they could become a hit.

Best regards,
Yep definitely, I couldn't find any pricing or availability info, but if they price it right they could sell quite a few

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
OK, boys and girls: what's the situation?

You want 50MP in a small package? You have the X1D I or II
You want 50MP in a medium package? You have the GFX 50S/R
You want 100MP in a large package? You have the GFX 100
You want 150MP in a larger package? You have Phase One.

You want a digital SWC, now you have one - the tilt screen gets you something even the X1D with 21mm can't deliver.

You want to use Leica S glass? You'll probably get an update of > 60MP.

I see nothing to complain about here. If you can't get spectacular world class results from these options, the problem isn't the equipment.

Matt

Last edited:

P. Chong

I quite like the new announcement, only slight disappointment is the sensor remains unchanged...but the flip side is that it already has superb IQ, and for me, I don't need more megapixels. The new price looks super competitive...though for those who currently have the X1D, resale will plummet. Let's see if the improvement in startup and frame blackout is improved as much as they are claimed.

The new 907x looks great too, the CFVii looks similar to the old one, except for the tilty LCD...and WLF will be interesting. Didn't see the prices anywhere...or did I miss it?