The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad Teaser and Upcoming Announcement

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I wonder if the CFV II 50 has a screen reversed mode for people who REALLY want the WLF experience :cool:

mristuccia

Overall I like the general balanced move of Hasselblad in the direction of improving what's just a great system, and of still connecting legacy and new together by not betraying their long tradition.

IMHO it also means that soon a 100/150mpx solution based on those new/improved platforms should be announced as well, H must be competitive.

I wonder whether I can attach my original CFV-50c to the 907x body. That would be great!

edouard

I'm eager to see videos of CFVii-50c focus peeking in action ... btw wouldn't an external EVF be possible on such system ?

P. Chong

I guess as much as in the old days when the h3dii vs h3d. I am one of those who remained with the h3d. And its an x1dii not x2d, so I think, if the improvements are delivered as promised in the announcement, plus the new price, will make this a helluva camera.

so what are the reasons to go from an X1D to and X1DII?

Last edited:

P. Chong

I also wonder if the old CFV will be usable on the 907x body...though knowing H, backward compatibility is probably not a feature.

I'm eager to see videos of CFVii-50c focus peeking in action ... btw wouldn't an external EVF be possible on such system ?

hcubell

OK, boys and girls: what's the situation?

You want 50MP in a small package? You have the X1D I or II
You want 50MP in a medium package? You have the GFX 50S/R
You want 100MP in a large package? You have the GFX 100
You want 150MP in a larger package? You have Phase One.

You want a digital SWC, now you have one - the tilt screen gets you something the X1D with 21mm can't deliver.

You want to use Leica S glass? You'll probably get an update of > 60MP.

I see nothing to complain about here. If you can't get spectacular world class results from these options, the problem isn't the equipment.

Matt
I want (and expected} the new Sony 100MP sensor in a small package with a state of the art EVF. And I would have been willing to pay the premium to purchase it. I am left wondering if Hasselblad ran into major engineering issues trying to incorporate the new Sony 100MP sensor into the existing X1D body. Heat issues? Battery issues? Physical room for upgraded componentry?

Charles S

I want (and expected} the new Sony 100MP sensor in a small package with a state of the art EVF. And I would have been willing to pay the premium to purchase it. I am left wondering if Hasselblad ran into major engineering issues trying to incorporate the new Sony 100MP sensor into the existing X1D body. Heat issues? Battery issues? Physical room for upgraded componentry?
My bet is that it was engineered to a price point

edouard

I also wonder if the old CFV will be usable on the 907x body...though knowing H, backward compatibility is probably not a feature.
As both the original and the new CFV 50c fit V bodies it's likely that the old one will "mechanically" fit the 907x. But V bodies transmit the shutter released "information" (to the back) via a mechanical "lever", I doubt that the 907x works the same! ;-)

msadat

not much for currrent x1d users to upgrade, but now the system is priced closer to fuji; so new users will take a closer look at this camera system. so x1d line will survive! thats good news

Godfrey

I am excited to see this announcement. 50MPixel is fine as far as I'm concerned, the new modular body and updated digital back that can be used with my existing V system equipment as well as XCD lenses make great sense. It all looks simple and clean, sensible and lacking in the gizmo stuffing of other offerings. I like that. A modular system is what I love about Hasselblad and this carries that meme forward.

Whether I end up buying in or not is more a matter of where I go with my photographic aims over the next year or so. But this gear looks just right. :D

G

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
so what are the reasons to go from an X1D to and X1DII?
Not many reasons to upgrade unless you have been concerned about responsiveness .. However ....if you were on the fence between a Fuji 50R and the X1D ....the new price is very competitive . So I believe this will continue to attract NEW buyers to Hasselblad . And new customers will need a few lenses .

Interesting product positioning ..they went for lower cost instead of trying to justify a large premium . My bet is this will be a good product strategy for Hasselblad .

jotloob

Subscriber Member
For me , all anounced components is good news and shows the famous HASSELBLAD compatibility . :thumbs::thumbs:
It is just awesome . I guess , i will have a sleepless night .
I have spoken to my dealer and I am the first on the list for the new CFV II 50c digital back .

stngoldberg

Does anyone have any clue how the new CFV back attaches to a tech camera and specifically the Arca Swiss rm3di; also is it compatible with a wide angle lens on a tech camera
Stanley

jng

Does anyone have any clue how the new CFV back attaches to a tech camera and specifically the Arca Swiss rm3di; also is it compatible with a wide angle lens on a tech camera
Stanley
It should attach with the (hopefully still) available V rear adapter plate. Note that until recently, there were MFDBs on the market sold in the V mount, with some still floating around on the used market. Hopefully/presumably the new back has the electronic shutter feature.

Assuming the sensor is the same "old" 50 Mp Sony sensor found in the previous CFV50c and IQx50, issues with lens cast and cross talk with symmetrical wide angle lenses will remain. But at least the physical limitations imposed by the X1D and GFX's flanges should be eliminated.

John

clonardo

The problem, for me, is that after 3 years, this represents a barely-appreciable step forward with no relevant expansion in capability. Convenience- sure, it's faster than the original X1D, which was needed. But now that the specs are available, it's still got contrast-detect AF, which is pretty much a dealbreaker for me, and while I don't really need or want more resolution, the fact that even higher-res 35mm-format cameras are on the horizon makes this a really tough value proposition.

It's an old sensor in a warmed-over package, which only delivers the performance that the X1D should have launched with (had Hasselblad not been in dire financial straits at the time and unable to develop an ASIC to drive the operation of the camera).

The price point of the X1D II wouldn't be quite so insulting if it had a single compelling new feature. That said, I am going to the Hasselblad NYC studio tonight to check out the new body, and will reserve final judgement until I've had a hands-on. After selling my H4D-60 in anticipation of this launch, I'm going to order something (and that GFX 100 is looking real good right now), I just don't want it to be a $6k camera that's a disappointment from day 1. From a system perspective and for my needs, the best portrait lens for the $10k Fuji is about $2500, or $2k lightly used. The best portrait lens for the Hasselblad is $5k. So, the price is pretty much a wash, and I vastly prefer the leaf shutter, but the shooting envelope of the Fuji would be vastly improved with IS and a modern sensor.

OK, boys and girls: what's the situation?

You want 50MP in a small package? You have the X1D I or II
You want 50MP in a medium package? You have the GFX 50S/R
You want 100MP in a large package? You have the GFX 100
You want 150MP in a larger package? You have Phase One.

You want a digital SWC, now you have one - the tilt screen gets you something the X1D with 21mm can't deliver.

You want to use Leica S glass? You'll probably get an update of > 60MP.

I see nothing to complain about here. If you can't get spectacular world class results from these options, the problem isn't the equipment.

Matt

tcdeveau

Stanley
I imagine since it's compatible with V-system bodies, all you need is the Arca V-system adapter plate (https://www.digitalback.com/product/arca-swiss-adapter-plates/)?

Regarding wide-angles, it should be just as compatible with wide-angles as any of the other existing backs with the 50mp sony sensor (old CFV-50c, HxD-50c, IQx50).

I imagine we'll have more info at a later date. Too bad we don't know all we need to know now and that it's not ready to ship.

clonardo

I really dislike the 50R because the ergonomics don't work for me (brick-like grip and tether via the bottom? no thanks), and the AF is really substandard. The AF is likely to similarly substandard in the new X1D II, because it's also contrast detect. But, Fuji keeps coming out with these killer package deals, and you can buy an open box GFX 50R for something like $3300 from B&H or Adorama. I've seen private sellers let mint ones go for less. The price difference in lenses between Hasselblad and Fuji is pretty huge: Fuji's 110/2 is vastly less expensive than Hasselblad's 80 or 135mm options, for one very clear example (yes, the leaf shutter means they'll cost more, but we're talking about competing on price in this case). They're all fine cameras, I'm sure, but this was a lazy update by Hasselblad, after so long.

Not many reasons to upgrade unless you have been concerned about responsiveness .. However ....if you were on the fence between a Fuji 50R and the X1D ....the new price is very competitive . So I believe this will continue to attract NEW buyers to Hasselblad . And new customers will need a few lenses .

Interesting product positioning ..they went for lower cost instead of trying to justify a large premium . My bet is this will be a good product strategy for Hasselblad .

clonardo

Yes, I tried it with the 110/2, and found it to be slow and tentative compared to either my H4D or A7R III. This has been echoed in a number of reviews online. But I'm sure it's fine for other uses, it seems like an awesome landscape camera.

Substandard AF ?:ROTFL: