The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad Teaser and Upcoming Announcement

drunkenspyder

Who makes a medium format camera with IBIS?
Who makes a 100 megapixel mirrorless camera?
Fujifilm has no competition.
Darr
Meh. Sorry, but I don’t see it that way. I suppose you can choose to define competitive criteria very narrowly, and then proclaim that “XYZ company has no competition.” But the market is not so narrowly constrained. Decades ago, Audi dominated certain types of racing due to its huge AWD advantage. When it came to AWD, Audi was almost unchallenged. One could plug Audi and AWD info your paragraph above, but it would be no more true than the paragraph above. While others would take decades to catch up on that technology issue, Audi had plenty of competition in the marketplace. Just as Fuji does. Similarly, saying that Phase has no competition in the 150mpx space, or that no one else has a 725g mirrorless medium format body like Hassy, misses the forest for the trees.

Do I wish Hassy had released something commensurate with it marketing bravado? Absolutely. And I am disappointed. But I have already pre-ordered the new body, rather than any of the three Fuji models, again, demonstrating that Fuji has competition, even if some of its feature are exclusive. I hope Fuji keeps pushing the feature set envelope. But I doubt that most will see them as having no competition.

I did not pick Fuji for my use case, even after trying both 50 models and knowing the 100 was due out soon. Features do not, IMHO, define the competitive landscape. They can affect competitive outcome, but a feature is just one aspect of a tool set.

richardman

I honestly have not been this excited about a digital something since the Leica M9 (which I have). Put in this way, right now it's not in my budget, but even if I have the budget to get any digital camera, I would choose my 203FE and add CFV II 50C + 907x + 20mm XCD lens.

The only thing that could make this announcement better is Hasselblad restarting V system production, or at least maintain parts and service.

For those who want 100MP BSI sensors etc. etc., if Hasselblad succeeds as a company, OF COURSE they will be working on it. The genius of Hasselblad strategy is that they are now leveraging one basic sensor design in an integrated camera (the X-D series) and a back that can be used with legacy cameras and X-D series lens. Brilliant strategy, IMHO. This gives them flexibility on how and where to spend resource.

Abstraction

That CFV11 looks very retro cool and given the size of the body - may well have enough 'space' to incorporate a larger sensor in due course - definitely an interesting design offering. .
I doubt it. The camera has a native X mount, which means that it's limited by the XCD lens circle coverage. So, no bigger sensors in the future. They have drawn a line in the sand beyond which, they won't go.

onasj

I doubt it. The camera has a native X mount, which means that it's limited by the XCD lens circle coverage. So, no bigger sensors in the future. They have drawn a line in the sand beyond which, they won't go.
The XCD lens image circle can just about cover a squared 53.4x40 mm sensor (that is, a 40x40 75% crop of the sensor). So it is theoretically possible that Hassy could release a back (or X2D) for XCD lenses that uses the same BSI sensor in the IQ4, with minimal waste. It would give a square 113 MP image. That’s what I was hoping was going to be announced today.

I wonder if the more competitive pricing of the X1D II will lead to some more competitive sale pricing on the existing lens line. I'm not saying Hassy should try to go head to head with Fuji. It's reasonable for lenses with a central shutter to get premium pricing, but some healthy instant rebates would make the system more attractive.

Abstraction

The XCD lens image circle can just about cover a squared 53.4x40 mm sensor (that is, a 40x40 75% crop of the sensor). So it is theoretically possible that Hassy could release a back (or X2D) for XCD lenses that uses the same BSI sensor in the IQ4, with minimal waste. It would give a square 113 MP image. That’s what I was hoping was going to be announced today.
Even if that's the case, who's gonna cut the sensor for them? I doubt that Sony would. The volume just isn't there.

Although, if they did, that would be something.

vieri

Who makes a medium format camera with IBIS?
Who makes a 100 megapixel mirrorless camera?
Fujifilm has no competition.

I own a couple of Hasselblad systems and a CFV50c back.
I want to see Hasselblad succeed, but I am disappointed in their medium format mirrorless offerings when I see what else is out there.
I am disappointed in their new back -- a larger screen and its flippy -- not a game changer in my book; the same sensor.

Like all things in the new age of Hasselblad, I wait patiently and keep my fingers crossed.

Darr
Hello Darr,

I posted this on a different forum, but I think it applies here as well.

The new X1D mark II is hardly technically inferior to any of the 50 MP Fujis, in a smaller, lighter and better looking package with a better UI - in fact, to me is better than both of them, unless you definitely need a focal plane shutter of course. About the Fuji GFX 100, I might be wrong, but IMHO the Fuji GFX 100 is a great technological achievement without a clear target user, save of course the wealthy amateur that wants the latest and best no matter what. Let's see possible professional uses for the GFX 100:

Studio (people). That's probably the best use for it, but then why do you need such a huge camera, or IBIS, or weather sealing in a studio? And, it has a relatively slow flash sync, not a must in the studio but since there are leaf shutter systems out there, probably if you do people going into one of those would be a better choice.
Studio (product). Same as the above, and, no product-shooting-specific lenses such as T/S, limited choice of macro, and so on.
People outside the studio. Again, see studio (people) above, but in this case leaf-shutter systems would definitely much better suited to the task.
Sport. Despite all the advancing in tech, I think that hardly anyone would choose MF as their weapon of choice for sport shooting. No long enough lenses, not fast enough, too many MP to move around, and so on. IMHO, FF is still the king for sport shooting.
Landscape. While it's potentially great to have 100 MP and weather sealing, the 1.2 KG package (camera body alone) makes it a no go for me, and I would never choose it for my work. Now, a 100 MP X2D or a GFX 50R/S-form-factor-camera with a 100 MP sensor would be a total different proposition of course :)
Macro / flowers. Again, limited macro lens choice and no T/S options would make FF the better choice for this.
Nature / bird / animals. IBIS is useful, but the lack of long enough lenses would limit this use severely. And again, if you have to hike / walk long distances, 1.2 kg for the camera body alone would make this pretty uncomfortable vs, say, FF.
Street. Well, I don't think anyone would consider the GFX 100 for this.
Reportage. I don't think anyone would consider the GFX 100 for this either.

So, if one thinks purpose-oriented, setting GAS aside and forgetting the impulse to have the new and best tech available, I don't actually think that there is any kind of shooting for which the GFX is the best choice out there. The Fuji GFX 100 is technologically speaking a marvel, but it feels more like an exercise than a camera with a clear photographic purpose to me. The X1D II is, as it was the X1D, the best camera for landscape photography IMHO, and while far from being universal (no MF is, yet) is very good at other kind of shooting as well. I might have overlooked something, but I simply cannot see the point of the GFX 100 in practical, real photographical use against the existing alternatives, either FF or MF.

As always, just my .02. Best regards,

Vieri

Christopher

The problem alone isn’t the body. The lenses are great, but quite expensive. So I see the target market more towards Leica users. For people coming from FF is a much easier entrance, especially financially.

As much as like the “announce and deliver” on one hand, I don’t believe in our time it’s the best approach. This goes for other companies as well. (Phase....)

It would be great to know whether a second CFV with 100Mp will come or another X1D 100.

It’s the same with Fuji currently, it would be important to know which lenses are at least planed.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
As a travel photographer, the small Hasselblad is the only medium format camera that would be suitable for my use. The camera isn't much bigger than my Panasonic GX8, and the lenses are mostly relatively compact although quite heavy. The big Fuji looks fantastic, but the Hasselblad is a camera that I could live with. Image stabilisation? Nah... they have an 80mm f/1.9 don't they? That should bring the shutter times down to an acceptable level.

darr

... IMHO the Fuji GFX 100 is a great technological achievement without a clear target user
With all due respect vieri, I cannot believe this statement.
I am just blown away by such bloviating nonsense.

I do not own a Fuji GFX system yet, but I will know what to do with it when I get one.
BTW, you only need one macro lens if you know how to shoot with it, and there are other corrections that could be added to your list, but I am not going there.

Best to you!
Darr

MrSmith

I might have overlooked something, but I simply cannot see the point of the GFX 100 in practical, real photographical use against the existing alternatives, either FF or MF.
I would imagine somebody who was contemplating a phase one kit and likes the idea of IBIS, pin point focus all over the frame and keeping 25k in the bank would have a different view.

vieri

With all due respect vieri, I cannot believe this statement.
I am just blown away by such bloviating nonsense.

I do not own a Fuji GFX system yet, but I will know what to do with it when I get one.
BTW, you only need one macro lens if you know how to shoot with it, and there are other corrections that could be added to your list, but I am not going there.

Best to you!
Darr
Hello Darr,

Thank you for insulting me, you just made my point. I am blown away by your approach, which also perfectly makes my point: get a camera and then know what to do with it. I go the other way round: I look for the best tool for my job, not try to find a job for a (great) tool, and - besides insulting me - you haven't answered any of my points regarding specific uses for the GFX 100.

I would imagine somebody who was contemplating a phase one kit and likes the idea of IBIS, pin point focus all over the frame and keeping 25k in the bank would have a different view.
I am sure he or she would, but that doesn't answer my specific user-cases considerations.

Best regards,

Vieri

Abstraction

I can see use cases for the GFX100

Handheld low light photography, ability to make bigger prints due to higher resolution. It's like having a portable, hand holdable 4x5 film camera. There are plenty of uses from landscapes to portraits, to architectural photography, etc. The GFX system is much more prone to adapting lenses than X1D system, so even though there are no native shift lenses, many can be adapted, as well as macro lenses, bellows, etc. to make the system very flexible.

On the other hand, an argument could be flipped with regard to the new X1D:

What can you do with the X1D that you can't do with a 50mp FF? - Not much really. Whereas, the GFX makes a very compelling case for bigger than FF format that's within the affordability threshold.

vieri

I can see use cases for the GFX100

Handheld low light photography, ability to make bigger prints due to higher resolution. It's like having a portable, hand holdable 4x5 film camera. There are plenty of uses from landscapes to portraits, to architectural photography, etc. The GFX system is much more prone to adapting lenses than X1D system, so even though there are no native shift lenses, many can be adapted, as well as macro lenses, bellows, etc. to make the system very flexible.

On the other hand, an argument could be flipped with regard to the new X1D:

What can you do with the X1D that you can't do with a 50mp FF? - Not much really. Whereas, the GFX makes a very compelling case for bigger than FF format that's within the affordability threshold.
Well, of course if you can see use cases, then by all means go for it :)

So far, however, you mostly listed uses for which the GFX 100 is not the best tool for the job:

- Landscape: try hiking 10 miles with the GFX and lenses and you'll wish you had a different, lighter system;
- Architectural: no professional architectural photographer would choose the GFX 100 (or the X1D) against, say, a tech camera + back;
- Portraits: as I said, that is probably the best application for the GFX 100, however - again - if you work outside with flashes a leaf-shutter solution would suit a professional's needs better.

Your argument against the X1D can equally be used against the Fuji GFX.

Best regards,

Vieri