Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Hasselblad Teaser and Upcoming Announcement

Post Thanks / Like

Hasselblad Teaser and Upcoming Announcement

Looks like Hasselblad posted a potential new gear teaser today on instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BysIyPIo..._web_copy_link

their homepage is also showing a countdown to 19 JUNE 2019 14:00 CEST / 8:00 AM EDT:

https://www.hasselblad.com/

Seems we'll have more info on what they've been up to in a few days
    Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hasselblad Teaser and Upcoming Announcement

When the teaser its a "gold" shutter button...ring some old bad bells about hasselblad habits...
    Style and rich exhibitionism. above evolution and development...
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

a mirrorless 100MP H camera ?

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by pedro39photo View Post
    When the teaser its a "gold" shutter button...ring some old bad bells about hasselblad habits...
    Style and rich exhibitionism. above evolution and development...
    That's exactly what the current X1D button looks like. Sorry to disappoint.
    mattgraysonphoto.com
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tcdeveau View Post
    Looks like Hasselblad posted a potential new gear teaser today on instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BysIyPIo..._web_copy_link

their homepage is also showing a countdown to 19 JUNE 2019 14:00 CEST / 8:00 AM EDT:

https://www.hasselblad.com/

Seems we'll have more info on what they've been up to in a few days
    The key words are:

"New Chapter"....

Hopefully the angst will slow down with the remarks. We now see that Hasselblad has been busy as was suspected all along, with their new policy of releasing info when the product is ready.

What can it be?

Time will tell!
    Best regards,
    Dave (GT)

Post Thanks / Like

To me, it is encouraging to see the X1D form factor and shutter button featured front and center in the teaser. If the functionality and IQ are truly improved inside the same body, that will be sweet. Been shooting with both the Phase and the Hassy this week in NZ. And while I love both, and the IQ4ís huge files, I carry the X1D as I haul the Phase. The Hassy is a real joy to use. And a shout out to #Vieri for his recommendation of the Formatt High Tech 85mm system. The whole kitófilter holder and multiple filters, including grads, inside its just-right pouchófits in a jacket pocket.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

"Next chapter" in Hasselblad's history.
    "Expanding the Hasselblad experience."
    "Throughout our history, we have evolved the medium format photography experience."

My guess is a new version of the X1D (duh) and a brand new product out of left field, like a Hasselblad FF camera that uses the L Mount or is something like a Leica Q. Or, a total surprise like a new MF mirrorless body that uses the same 150MP Sony sensor as the Phase IQ4 150. What I seriously doubt is that this will just be a slight refresh of the X1D with the same Sony 50MP sensor. That would be a serious case of overpromise/underdeliver. After all of these months of silence, that would not go over well.
    hcubell
    www.howardcubell.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

50% transparency overlay with an iPhone shot of my X1D. Looks pretty identical...

Matt
    Last edited by MGrayson; 14th June 2019 at 12:37.
    mattgraysonphoto.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I really really hope itís a 100Mp Version with great AF. Now that package around 10k would be huge and a great play against Fuji. I probably wonít buy one right away, but I would be really interested in renting one and using it more often.

I hope it wonít be a MK2 with 50MP and I really hope it wonít be 15k or so.
    Christopher Hauser
    http://www.chauser.eu

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well shut my mouth I was hoping for a new book or at least a few new chapters.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    I really really hope itís a 100Mp Version with great AF. Now that package around 10k would be huge and a great play against Fuji. I probably wonít buy one right away, but I would be really interested in renting one and using it more often.

I hope it wonít be a MK2 with 50MP and I really hope it wonít be 15k or so.
    A MK2 with 100Mp and better AF is likely, as the 100 Mp chip is available and does on chip phase AF. As to the price, Hasselblad sees themselves more in the luxury segment than Fuji does, so is likely to be more expensive.
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Not that my vote matters to Hasselblad at this point, but if the X1Dm2 uses the 100 MP BSI sensor I will buy one, along with a full set of Hassy's best lenses. If it's a refresh of the X1D using any sensor other than a current-generation BSI sensor, I'll pass (but still root for Hassy to succeed since having multiple successful MF products is good for the industry and thus consumers, ultimately).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

For me, I am hoping for the following:

1. a bigger buffer or more powerful processor, so that that 1s blackout after every shot is eliminated. Added bonus if that the power up time is also shortened.
    2. IBIS.
    3. 50Mp sensor at current size is good enough for me, but BSI would be nice.
    4. a true 1:1 macro lens, or at least extension tubes to allow say the 80mm reach 1:1. And other accessories like TS would be a further bonus.
    5. Phocus be easier and faster...one can hope. :-)

I hope the form factor and the menu system don't change. To me, they are as perfect as can be. The X1D body makes me wanna pick it up and go shoot. Something the H bodies do not. That in itself, makes the X1D an almost perfect camera.
    http://Www.deployant.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drunkenspyder View Post
    To me, it is encouraging to see the X1D form factor and shutter button featured front and center in the teaser. If the functionality and IQ are truly improved inside the same body, that will be sweet. Been shooting with both the Phase and the Hassy this week in NZ. And while I love both, and the IQ4’s huge files, I carry the X1D as I haul the Phase. The Hassy is a real joy to use. And a shout out to #Vieri for his recommendation of the Formatt High Tech 85mm system. The whole kit—filter holder and multiple filters, including grads, inside its just-right pouch—fits in a jacket pocket.
    You are very welcome, I am glad you are enjoying the 85mm Formatt-Hitech Firecrest system

Quote Originally Posted by P. Chong View Post

1. a bigger buffer or more powerful processor, so that that 1s blackout after every shot is eliminated. Added bonus if that the power up time is also shortened.
    2. IBIS.
    4. a true 1:1 macro lens, or at least extension tubes to allow say the 80mm reach 1:1. And other accessories like TS would be a further bonus.

I hope the form factor and the menu system don't change. To me, they are as perfect as can be. The X1D body makes me wanna pick it up and go shoot. Something the H bodies do not. That in itself, makes the X1D an almost perfect camera.
    Well, for what is worth I think that:

1. Power up time will be shorter, that's very likely to happen; between-shot blackout, I think, depends in part from the leaf shutter mechanism's need to re-cock after a shot, and if this is true I am afraid they'll be able to speed it just up to a point;
    2. Not enough room for that to happen in the same form-factor body, I am afraid, unless there has been some incredible advance in tech that will surprise us;
    3. I am really not sure about what'll happen with this one - logic and marketing would tell that you need more MP in a new model, however I wouldn't mind a "Mark II" with a 50 MP sensor, even the same one with improved / sped up circuitry; something in between is also possible, of course, but less likely I think;
    4. I think this announcement will be about a camera body only, but I might be wrong and accessories such as extension tubes are easy to do;
    5. Don't know about that

I completely agree with keeping the form factor as it is. In fact, I would be pretty disappointed if they changed it

Best regards,

Vieri
    Vieri Bottazzini
    Formatt-Hitech Featured Artist | ABIPP EP
    WORKSHOPS | FINE ART PRINTS | PORTFOLIO | THE BLOG
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

(...)
    2. IBIS.

IBIS is likely to stay a Fuji exclusive at the moment. Hasselblad competes on the form factor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

2. IBIS.

2) As others mentioned, if we want the same form factor it is unlikely that IBIS will be included.
    3) Why do you care about BSI? There is no data that it helps with big sensors.
    4) Fotodiox is already offering extension tubes (20mm and 48mm): https://fotodioxpro.com/products/macrotube-auto-xcd48

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    I really really hope it’s a 100Mp Version with great AF. Now that package around 10k would be huge and a great play against Fuji. I probably won’t buy one right away, but I would be really interested in renting one and using it more often.

I hope it won’t be a MK2 with 50MP and I really hope it won’t be 15k or so.

Hi,

I will suggest setting the expectations pretty low.
    The reason for that, in my opinion are:

1. Ming Thein had problems to make the board understand the need for a fast cycle. They did not get that an item that expensive should be changed so soon. This tell me they do not understand the market and that this is the last time MF will have a. 2x resolution avenge against the main FF systems. You either move people to your platform this cycle or you are death. Also even if MF (44x33mm) gets a 2X resolution avenge nobody will care with. 70+megapixels FF systems.

2. They are calling it the. X1D something something, not the X2D according to public records. Of course it could be that we will both a X1D and a X2D.

3. It's Hasselblad and they have an uncanny ability to disappoint.

4. If one expect little and gets a lot your are double happy.

Notice that the board did not understood the need for fast lenses, and we have them, so maybe he also succeed persuading them of the need for a competitive system.
    We also have the DJI involvement. They don't need introduction in terms of competitive electronic controls, so there is a little hope.

In few days we will know, I hope it's a bright day and not "the straw that broke the camel's back".

One link that can help support my views, before passionate people conclude that I hate HB or something: https://blog.mingthein.com/tag/hasselblad/

Best regards,
    Last edited by jduncan; 15th June 2019 at 10:25.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jduncan View Post
    I can't imagine why you would start the doom and gloom three days before the announcement. What's the rush?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vieri View Post
    You are very welcome, I am glad you are enjoying the 85mm Formatt-Hitech Firecrest system

Well, for what is worth I think that:

3. I am really not sure about what'll happen with this one - logic and marketing would tell that you need more MP in a new model, however I wouldn't mind a "Mark II" with a 50 MP sensor, even the same one with improved / sped up circuitry; something in between is also possible, of course, but less likely I think;

Best regards,

Vieri
    I disagree if it's a 50MP sensor and no announcement about the. 100MP coming soon, people should be concerned and discreetly sale the system before is too late. It will clearly show that HB management continue to have no clue or that they are in mode "milk the cow as it dies" mode. It's not about "needs" only it's about not getting tramp in a death end with. 10s of thousand of dollars in equipment.

The optics of a. 50MP being HB flagship, at this moment in time, are so bad that they will be unable to lore new costumers.

We know from Ming that the board did not understood why they should invest in a new platform so soon (a product so expensive with a short cycle), but they did not understood the need for fast glass and they did the lenses anyway.
    So there is a little hope.

best regards,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hcubell View Post
    "Next chapter" in Hasselblad's history.
    "Expanding the Hasselblad experience."
    "Throughout our history, we have evolved the medium format photography experience."

My guess is a new version of the X1D (duh) and a brand new product out of left field, like a Hasselblad FF camera that uses the L Mount or is something like a Leica Q. Or, a total surprise like a new MF mirrorless body that uses the same 150MP Sony sensor as the Phase IQ4 150. What I seriously doubt is that this will just be a slight refresh of the X1D with the same Sony 50MP sensor. That would be a serious case of overpromise/underdeliver. After all of these months of silence, that would not go over well.

If they deliver a Mirrorless with he 150MP it will be a killer application.
    I am not positive that the mount will allow something like that, but if it does it will be quite something.
    I don't expect anything extraordinary on the other hand.

best regards.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

The reason for that, in my opinion are:

1. Ming Thein had problems to make the board understand the need for a fast cycle. They did not get that an item that expensive should be changed so soon. This tell me they do not understand the market and that this is the last time MF will have a. 2x resolution avenge against the main FF systems. You either move people to your platform this cycle or you are death. Also even if MF (44x33mm) gets a 2X resolution avenge nobody will care with. 70+megapixels FF systems.

2. They are calling it the. X1D something something, not the X2D according to public records. Of course it could be that we will both a X1D and a X2D.

3. It's Hasselblad and they have an uncanny ability to disappoint.

4. If one expect little and gets a lot your are double happy.

Notice that the board did not understood the need for fast lenses, and we have them, so maybe he also succeed persuading them of the need for a competitive system.
    We also have the DJI involvement. They don't need introduction in terms of competitive electronic controls, so there is a little hope.

In few days we will know, I hope it's a bright day and not "the straw that broke the camel's back".

Best regards,
    I do have a recollection from when Ming Thein was Chief of Strategy at Hasselblad that someone commented on his blog that Hasselblad should issue a new X1D model with the 100MP Sony sensor, and he was uncharacteristically dismissive of the poster and the need to increase the MP count. IIRC, that was last Summer or so, and the plans around a new X1D were probably cast in stone by that point. FWIW, probably little.
    Last edited by hcubell; 15th June 2019 at 11:35.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hasselblad continues to "reveal" the new model on their Instagram account (today it's the lens release button).

Personally, I am expecting a 50Mp model with faster behavior and various tuning. Focus bracketing would be nice, though.

Post Thanks / Like

If Hasselblad can get their 100MP version without IBIS but with phase detection in the store before Fuji does, they might get a good first run, because that would be a take anywhere camera.

Post Thanks / Like

Except that going from 50 to 100 megapixels does not double the resolution, you'd need 4x for that. It would only double the megapixel count

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DougDolde View Post
    Except that going from 50 to 100 megapixels does not double the resolution, you'd need 4x for that. It would only double the megapixel count
    Yes, but I would still take it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DougDolde View Post
    Or a change of aspect ratio, come on digital xpan!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jerome_m View Post
    IBIS is likely to stay a Fuji exclusive at the moment. Hasselblad competes on the form factor.
    But without IBIS the whole idea of the smaller form factor falls way too short. 100MP without IBIS is just crazy as there will be few if any circumstances where high quality handheld images will be possible - and that's what the small form factor is all about. Granted the GFX 100 will be much larger but it does have IBIS.... and that's a big deal.

But no matter what they have to come out with a higher MP sensor otherwise they are left behind. It's a beautiful system that can/will evolve to meet all requirements over time.

Victor

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vjbelle View Post
    But without IBIS the whole idea of the smaller form factor falls way too short. 100MP without IBIS is just crazy as there will be few if any circumstances where high quality handheld images will be possible - and that's what the small form factor is all about. Granted the GFX 100 will be much larger but it does have IBIS.... and that's a big deal.

But no matter what they have to come out with a higher MP sensor otherwise they are left behind. It's a beautiful system that can/will evolve to meet all requirements over time.

Victor
    With me it's the other way around. IBIS would be great in a small form factor, but I would much rather take an X2D on a hike than a GFX 100 which is big because it has a bunch of stuff I don't need to shoot landscapes. Having room for lunch and a sweater along with a camera and two lenses in a small backpack would make it perfect for me. I shoot from a tripod anyway, 5 stops is not enough to me for serious landscape work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Victor
    IBIS is a great feature; and not to be argumentative, I hand hold my H5X and 100mpx P1 back with high quality images even with a 300mm lens with 1.7 extender attached.
    Stanley

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JeRuFo View Post
    Or a change of aspect ratio, come on digital xpan!
    You're obviously not

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

But without IBIS the whole idea of the smaller form factor falls way too short. 100MP without IBIS is just crazy as there will be few if any circumstances where high quality handheld images will be possible
    It's not hard to hand hold high res. You simply need a bit faster shutter speed the higher you go.

We wrote about this in the context of hand holding 150mp.
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Even factors like fatigue and caffeination have a meaningful impact.

Quote Originally Posted by dougpeterson View Post
    We wrote about this in the context of hand holding 150mp.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

2. As it is, the X1D is rather hand holdable. So IBIS is a nice bonus. But if its a toss up between current form and IBIS, I would prefer the X1D to stay with current physical form.
    3. BSI. Its high time the Sony 50Mp sensor gets updated, and if it does, it should be to the latest tech. And BSI is technically more elegant as well.
    4. Ah...wasn't aware of that. Might give it a try. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by SrMphoto View Post
    2) As others mentioned, if we want the same form factor it is unlikely that IBIS will be included.
    3) Why do you care about BSI? There is no data that it helps with big sensors.
    4) Fotodiox is already offering extension tubes (20mm and 48mm): https://fotodioxpro.com/products/macrotube-auto-xcd48

Post Thanks / Like

on Hasselblad's Weibo it says 8pm [china time]

6 月 19 日 20:00

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks to your post in another thread, looks like the IBIS can be made to be rather small, assuming the narrator is talking about the GFX100. See video 2:05 mark.

https://youtu.be/aDYc-t2SOcY

Quote Originally Posted by Satrycon View Post
    on Hasselblad's Weibo it says 8pm [china time]

6 月 19 日 20:00

Post Thanks / Like

I disagree if it's a 50MP sensor and no announcement about the. 100MP coming soon, people should be concerned and discreetly sale the system before is too late. It will clearly show that HB management continue to have no clue or that they are in mode "milk the cow as it dies" mode. It's not about "needs" only it's about not getting tramp in a death end with. 10s of thousand of dollars in equipment.

The optics of a. 50MP being HB flagship, at this moment in time, are so bad that they will be unable to lore new costumers.

We know from Ming that the board did not understood why they should invest in a new platform so soon (a product so expensive with a short cycle), but they did not understood the need for fast glass and they did the lenses anyway.
    So there is a little hope.

best regards,
    Please, don't confuse what "you" want with actual reality and with other may want, that very seldom coincides

There are many photographers for whom 50 MP is plenty, and would love other / better features and enhancements in the same X1D body with the same pixel count. The idea that a 50 MP announcement would mean that H is dead and you would be "getting tramp in a dead end" is simply ludicrous: the only thing such an announcement would mean is that there will be photographers liking the idea and the direction the X1D is going, and buying the camera, and others that won't like it, and won't buy it. I bet that such a camera, priced right, would - contrarily to what you so assuredly assume - convince people that loved the X1D but didn't get it because of quirks / bugs / performance issues for their photography and so on to buy it, adding to the equation that since the X1D's launch the system is pretty complete as far as lenses and accessories. If a good upgrade path will be offered, it would probably convince many X1D owners to upgrade as well.

If something like this will happen, you'd probably be in the camp of those who won't buy it, I assume. What will then happen is this: if the buyers group is large enough, H will prosper. If it's not, H will reconsider their strategy. That's it, everything else is your opinion, which is fine as long as you don't confuse it with absolute truth.

Best regards,

Vieri
    Vieri Bottazzini
    Formatt-Hitech Featured Artist | ABIPP EP
    WORKSHOPS | FINE ART PRINTS | PORTFOLIO | THE BLOG
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There are plenty of things we may want, but the engineer cannot build. I would say that IBIS in a X1D form factor is one of them. I would also say that this forum demographics aren't probably representative of the market for the X1D. The camera was marketed as a luxury product. For that market, the small form factor, square shape and design are important. From the images published in the teaser, we know that the design of the new camera will be related to the design of the black version of the X1D.

As to pixel count and on chip AF, Hasselblad is dependent on Sony for these functions. On Sony Semiconductor's web site, the only chip with the correct form factor has 100 millions pixels and PDAF. A chip that size with 50 millions pixels and PDAF does not exist.

Last but not least, I would expect a better viewfinder and faster processor.

Post Thanks / Like

HB have DJI know how at their disposal who know how to do image stabilisation, while they may not release a new camera with it they have access to technical knowledge to see if itís feasible.
    They are just tools for a job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    HB have DJI know how at their disposal who know how to do image stabilisation, while they may not release a new camera with it they have access to technical knowledge to see if itís feasible.
    uhm they do? they have gimbal technology, too big for the hassy, and they have electronic IS in their osmo action, not really good for non video application.

interesting to see if and how they implement IS in their 100mp camera

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drevil View Post
    uhm they do? they have gimbal technology, too big for the hassy, and they have electronic IS in their osmo action, not really good for non video application.

interesting to see if and how they implement IS in their 100mp camera
    No, they don't at the moment, but they do have the expertise to pull something like that off. But I don't see it coming to the XCD soon, maybe the H, but the market is probably too small to cover the cost of development. Expanding the video capabilities could be interesting though, for DJI too, the form factor is perfect for gimbal (and possibly drone) use. Like an overgrown Sony a7, a jack of all trades.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

leaked pics on mirrorless rumours, a thicker body but no ibis 102 mp (same sensor as fuji) 4k video but no mention of pricing, changes to control layout or feature changes

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If those rumors are right, looks like I will stay with X1D.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    leaked pics on mirrorless rumours, a thicker body but no ibis 102 mp (same sensor as fuji) 4k video but no mention of pricing, changes to control layout or feature changes

Post Thanks / Like

If those rumors are right, looks like I will stay with X1D.

Evidently they are fake! donít believe everything you read/see on the internet.

no collusion!

Post Thanks / Like

Hassi must bring a 100 mp X1D on the market otherweise the round goes to fuji ... and i think dji knows this.
    Next thing is the software - phocus is not bad but c1 is far better.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe that the X1D MKII is an updated 50 MP version with some more features. End of 2019 or 2020 Hasselblad will present the 100 MP. So we have to wait

Post Thanks / Like

The teaser they posted today on social media is a portion of a lens. I wonder if they're finally going to announce the 35-75mm XCD?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by georgecleansman View Post
    I believe that the X1D MKII is an updated 50 MP version with some more features. End of 2019 or 2020 Hasselblad will present the 100 MP. So we have to wait
    You may very well be right, but given Hasselblad's limited resources for money, R&D and engineering, it just seems bizarre to me that they would "invest" those resources in a camera using a sensor that represents 6-year old technology, particularly when FF cameras with 60-70MP and the latest sensor technology will likely be released in the Fall.

Post Thanks / Like

"Count down with us to the next chapter of Hasselblad history."

Its hard to think a revised 50mp version fulfills this.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hcubell View Post
    You may very well be right, but given Hasselblad's limited resources for money, R&D and engineering, it just seems bizarre to me that they would "invest" those resources in a camera using a sensor that represents 6-year old technology, particularly when FF cameras with 60-70MP and the latest sensor technology will likely be released in the Fall.
    Yes, I agree, it is hard to believe. But this could be, because Hasselblad could shift first the X1D production to China due to lower costs and prices.

May be Hasselblad could announce a new CFV back with a modern electronic platform from X1D/H6D for the V fans? Thursday we are smarter!