Site Sponsors
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Hasselblad CFV ll 50c

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hasselblad CFV ll 50c

Quote Originally Posted by faberryman View Post
    What is the advantage of that over an X1D besides it looks cool, in a steampunk kind of way.
    An X1D won’t work with a 500 series body.

For me, tech cam compatibility is the big one. It will play much better with my existing Alpa gear. The CFVII is also a mixed bag in this regard though since they went with the old 50mp FSI sensor instead of the newer 100mp BSI sensor of the GFX100.

Post Thanks / Like

The CFV II will play with tech cams (small market), V system bodies and lenses (possibly a larger market but a dead end in terms of ancillary sales), and XCD lenses (presumably expanding future market). Yes the form factor may seem funky by modern standards but for any of us who have or still use a SWC, it's like Hasselblad has finally come home again. I also wouldn't be surprised to see the 100 Mp Sony BSI chip make its first (and perhaps only) appearance for H in the CFV II back, which I'm guessing is far less constrained than the X1D chassis to accommodate the demands of the new sensor and can probably borrow a lot of existing tech from Hasselblad's aerial cameras (note the family resemblance?). I don't shoot video but it seems to me that a 100 Mp CFV II mounted on the 907x would be quite welcome in this domain. In this regard, it may be telling that the HDMI port was removed from the updated X1D but included in the CFV II prototype. Good times ahead!

John
    Last edited by jng; 24th June 2019 at 20:17.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    I dunno, I think it’s kinda slick looking.

I also don’t know about the classic V system lenses not performing well. When I played with my 500CM and my ancient Sonnar 150 and Planar 80 on the original CFV50c, they seemed to work pretty well. Maybe not state of the art, but who cares about that?

I’ll arrange a demo or rental as soon as there is product to try out.

G
    I agree it looks very slick looking. This is what the H should have been, IMO, (tech wasn't possible though of course) and I think this will sell exceptionally well. The V System is just one of those iconic heritage designs, extremely successful and simple—one of the best of all time.

Some of the V lenses work OK and even quite well on digital especially up to 50MP. But after that, 60MP and above, the images fall apart and are looking very glassy and wide open they have a lot of CA. All the charm of something like the 110 f2 gets lost in CA and colour issues. It really is a shame, it's one of the best ever lenses in my opinion. But a newer alternative design would never be the same.

This is why I reluctantly moved to the H when my resolution went up to 60MP and beyond, and there was a significant advantage with the (at the time) newer H Lenses. But now on the 100MP the H lenses are straining in the same way.

Does anyone know the covering circle of the X lenses? It would be amazing to some day see a square back—something I believe hasselblad really want but kind find anyone to manufacture.

I am watching this one with a lot of interest.

Post Thanks / Like

The main disadvantage I see with the new CFV-II back is, still, the inability to rotate the back. It would be nice if they could release an update 90 angle finder for the V series that has high magnification and is very bright. I find at high resolution in particular, the Waist Level finder is really the only thing bright enough to focus properly—and it's more difficult, as it is, because of the texture of the ground glass screen. It becomes a much slower process with a fair bit more guess work—that makes working with portraits and that sort of thing much more involved.

Funnily enough I never really noticed the texture of the screen in the film days! All those years of using the cameras and acquiring focus wasn't something you had to work hard for with film, I suddenly became aware of how tricky it was with high res digital, and that texture became extremely apparent because I was looking much deeper and finer into the image to find focus and that texture of the glass and fresnel, it was all of a sudden quite a distraction.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by DB5 View Post
    The main disadvantage I see with the new CFV-II back is, still, the inability to rotate the back. It would be nice if they could release an update 90 angle finder for the V series that has high magnification and is very bright. I find at high resolution in particular, the Waist Level finder is really the only thing bright enough to focus properly—and it's more difficult, as it is, because of the texture of the ground glass screen. It becomes a much slower process with a fair bit more guess work—that makes working with portraits and that sort of thing much more involved.

Funnily enough I never really noticed the texture of the screen in the film days! All those years of using the cameras and acquiring focus wasn't something you had to work hard for with film, I suddenly became aware of how tricky it was with high res digital, and that texture became extremely apparent because I was looking much deeper and finer into the image to find focus and that texture of the glass and fresnel, it was all of a sudden quite a distraction.
    If the new CFV II has focus peaking and ES which can be used with V lenses, that would be of great help when focusing and taking live shots. Actually with my CFV-50c I have serious problems with, for example, the 250 SA, which has a focusing wheel that goes beyond infinity to compensate temperature variations.
    Under the bright sun with that lo-res screen resolution it is almost impossible to acquire a precise focus, even at infinity, and I'm not confident regarding the precision of the WLF for this.

If the CFV II can do focus peaking and ES I think I would consider exchanging my original one with the new version.
    Marco Ristuccia
    photography.marcoristuccia.com
    "Unconcerned but not indifferent."

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Some of the V lenses work OK and even quite well on digital especially up to 50MP. But after that, 60MP and above, ...
    Perhaps that's why Hasselblad has stuck with 50 Mpixel for the CFV50c II. Remember that that is what we're talking about in this thread...

If I buy one of these, I know with absolute certainty that any higher resolution is irrelevant for me. 50mPixel is way more than I need for my photography, it's one of the reasons I can look at the CFV50c II and easily consider it a 39 Mpixel square format back. Heck, I'm having a ball with the Leica CL + Voigtländer 10mm lens, cropping square to simulate an SWC look.

Of course, considering it a square format 33x33 format back, I have no need for back rotation. Nor did I find any difficulty whatever in focusing my 500CM with Acute Matte screen, with the lenses I have, using the previous CFV50c when I tested one. I tested with the WLF and with the 45° prism finder.

Different priorities, I guess. I have no idea why I'd ever need a 100 Mpixel digital camera; I don't make prints large enough to really need more than 16 to 24 and have happily made large prints (for me) with 5. Super high resolution like that seems to be irrelevant to my photographic subject matter.

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jng View Post
    a 100 Mp CFV II ... would be quite welcome in this domain
    A IMX461 sensor CFV II might be welcome in other domains too.

Post Thanks / Like

As someone who have shot 1000+ sheets of color 4x5 in the last 5 years and starting a project with an 8x10, the 50MP is plenty for *my* needs, as I am not looking for utmost details and resolution, but rather certain look. Yes, I even print large, up to 44" multiple times, and even larger for a few exhibitions.

I very much looking forward to this back.

Post Thanks / Like

The main disadvantage I see with the new CFV-II back is, still, the inability to rotate the back.
    A rotatable digital back (or a rotatable sensor within the digital back) would be especially useful for use on a technical camera.

If shift/tilt is used, a rotatable back or sensor would allow an image selection (ie, a rotation or angle of the image) which could not be obtained otherwise.

For example, the Linhof Technika had a rotatable back, i.e. revolves in place, but the Linhof Technikardan and the Linhof Techno only have a reversible back, i.e. must be unlatched and turned. (Having to unlatch introduces the danger of dropping the sensor or getting dust on the sensor.) Edit: Linhof just introduced a sliding/rotating back for the Linhof Techno.
    Last edited by TheDude; 25th June 2019 at 14:31.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I would imagine Cambo could engineer something for the Actus, the bayonets for Sony etc already rotate.
    They are just tools for a job.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    I would imagine Cambo could engineer something for the Actus, the bayonets for Sony etc already rotate.
    Linhof introduced such a sliding/rotating back. It's just very heavy and expensive.

Name:  Techno-sliding:rotating 002768-S.jpg
Views: 746
Size:  275.1 KB

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Very cool stuff! I much enjoy seeing cool gear like this.

Of absolutely zero importance to me, however. I'm only interested in how Hasselblad's new products might affect the photography I want to do, which has nothing to do with technical cameras. Sorry!

I'm interested in how the CFV50c II will further enhance what I can do with my existing Hasselblad equipment, and what other new Hasselblad equipment might integrate well with it.

Other possible uses for the back are beyond my involvement. Whether it suits yours, I leave to your deeper expertise in these matters.

G

Post Thanks / Like

I'm only interested in how Hasselblad's new products might affect the photography I want to do, which has nothing to do with technical cameras. Sorry!
    Went a bit off tangent here. More appropriate for a separate thread. Sorry for that.

Yes, the traditional Hasselblad square format does have various advantages, one of them is that there is no need for revolving or reversible back!
    Last edited by TheDude; 25th June 2019 at 17:36.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The idea of a square format was to solve a problem of holding a camera with a waist-level finder in a vertical or horizontal position. Simply make a large image and crop to the orientation you wanted. It was purely a practical design. A rectangular format on a waist-level camera is not ideal.
    Will

http://www.hakusancreation.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have had the CFV50c for a few years now, using it with my 501CM, Flexbody and Alpa cameras. The closest to a SWC for me is using it with my Alpa TC and SK 28 lens. What a lot of people that have not used the CFV50c aspect ratio are not seeing is the crop factor IMO. I shoot square 90% of the time, and with the 44x33 sensor size, the crop factor gets to be ~1.7 shooting square. How are you going to get close to a SWC aspect ratio? I am thinking using the Hasselblad XCD 21mm f/4 lens is more like it. So if that is true (I have never used the 21/4 lens), then using the X1D makes more sense.

Someone correct me please if I am wrong.

Darr
    Photo Blog: darrlene.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post
    I have had the CFV50c for a few years now, using it with my 501CM, Flexbody and Alpa cameras. The closest to a SWC for me is using it with my Alpa TC and SK 28 lens. What a lot of people that have not used the CFV50c aspect ratio are not seeing is the crop factor IMO. I shoot square 90% of the time, and with the 44x33 sensor size, the crop factor gets to be ~1.7 shooting square. How are you going to get close to a SWC aspect ratio? I am thinking using the Hasselblad XCD 21mm f/4 lens is more like it. So if that is true (I have never used the 21/4 lens), then using the X1D makes more sense.

Someone correct me please if I am wrong.

Darr
    Hi Darr, exactly why I am excited by using the CFV II 50C with the 203FE, and then the 907x+XCD 21mm for a mini-SWC. Perfection!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by richardman View Post
    Hi Darr, exactly why I am excited by using the CFV II 50C with the 203FE, and then the 907x+XCD 21mm for a mini-SWC. Perfection!
    Sounds like a plan Richard!

I want to see the difference in technology (if any) between the 907 and X1D before I make a decision.
    If the 50c II + 907 has focus peaking, I might bite as focusing with the 50c mated with older lenses is a thin-thin slice.

Darr
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    The idea of a square format was to solve a problem of holding a camera with a waist-level finder in a vertical or horizontal position. Simply make a large image and crop to the orientation you wanted. It was purely a practical design. A rectangular format on a waist-level camera is not ideal.
    I wouldn't be surprised if the software allows the selection of a square format. An effective 33mmx33mm sensor format (40MP?) would offer enough resolution for the vast number of users and purposes, especially if XCD lenses are used.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
    A rotatable digital back (or a rotatable sensor within the digital back) would be especially useful for use on a technical camera...

For example, the Linhof Technika had a rotatable back, i.e. revolves in place, but the Linhof Technikardan and the Linhof Techno only have a reversible back, i.e. must be unlatched and turned. (Having to unlatch introduces the danger of dropping the sensor or getting dust on the sensor.) Edit: Linhof just introduced a sliding/rotating back for the Linhof Techno.

Dante called. He recommends the Cambo WRS1600, which can rotate 90 degrees around the Arca foot.

John

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I know the 907x looks more "classic" but other than that why would one want to use the 907x over a x1d(ii), where I have a smaller sized body, more ergonomic user interface and a nice viewfinder? Did I oversee something?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I want to see the difference in technology (if any) between the 907 and X1D before I make a decision.
    If the 50c II + 907 has focus peaking, I might bite as focusing with the 50c mated with older lenses is a thin-thin slice.
    I suspect the 907 has very little technology in it. It is basically just a holder for a back mount and lens mount, with a shutter release and a (possibly multifunction) control wheel on it. It's the difference in technology between the CFV50c II back and the X1D II that will be the discriminator. The X1D uses touch screen technology and 'soft' controls to implement most of its control functionality; there's no reason the CFV50c II cannot do so as well.

Like you, I look forward to seeing both camera setups in the flesh. I won't put money down on either until I can do that.

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paratom View Post
    I know the 907x looks more "classic" but other than that why would one want to use the 907x over a x1d(ii), where I have a smaller sized body, more ergonomic user interface and a nice viewfinder? Did I oversee something?
    If you're starting from scratch, and intending to buy XCD lenses anyway, it probably makes more sense to be more interested in the X1D. Whether it is actually smaller or not depends on a few things, as I indicated in the other thread already.

But ... If you're like me and many other folks who already have a complete V system setup, the CFV50c II is the less expensive and better choice to further the use of your Hasselblad gear, and the 907x and XCD lenses supplement that use.

Whether one is more ergonomic than the other again depends on how you intend to use the camera and, to some degree, on what you're used to. I'm very comfort and very used to the feel of my 500CM with WL finder, just as I was very comfortable and used to the feel of my SWC with its eye level finder...

G

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jng View Post
    Dante called. He recommends the Cambo WRS1600, which can rotate 90 degrees around the Arca foot.

John
    Or the Arca R system, all of which can accept the Arca Rotamount which rotates the back without the camera moving or the back being removed. Both very good options.
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paratom View Post

Good question!
    I cannot speak for others, but I am happy to explain my reasoning for considering the CFV 50c II and possibly a 907x:

Some quick background: I have been shooting the V system for 30+ years. First commercially, then as digital slowly replaced commercial film use, I made the switch, but continue to shoot film for art projects. The Hasselblad CF lenses I use have a look that is different from the Schneider and Rodenstock lenses I shoot with. I have shot the same test scenes on all apertures with CF lenses and Schneider lenses only to find the CF lenses have a different look I call a visual personality. Today I spend more time with art projects than commercial work and very much want to keep the CF lenses in my tool box.

When the first CFV-50c back came out a few years ago, I bought one. I have been using it on my Hasselblad cameras (501CM and Flexbody) and Alpa Max and TC cameras for a few years now. It is a competent back, but the 44x33 crop size gets old quickly with the tight aspect ratio of the CF lenses (1.7x crop factor if you shoot square).

If I can shoot the CF lenses with the 50c II back and have a better focusing tool like focus peaking, then I am interested. If the new back cannot offer focus peaking or an upgraded option for focusing over the 50c back I already use, then I am not interested, and will look into another digital back.

Focusing the CF lenses is a challenge. The focus plane is a sliver no matter what aperture you shoot at, and I figure that is where the unique look comes from. I have never experienced focusing issues with any lens on my digital backs other than the CF lenses so "designed for digital" does mean something. To me, the CF lenses are more like shooting older view camera lenses where the corners get so dark you can't see to focus, except it is not dark, it just looks like your in focus until you magnify it and see you have missed the focal plane by a painful smidgen. But when you nail it, oh the magic!

The X1D is a sweet looking camera, but if I cannot use CF lenses, shoot squares on film, and incorporate my tech cameras with it, it does not work for me.
    The 907x mated with the 21/4 lens will be of interest to me for the aspect ratio if I get all the other stuff I want.
    I am a Hasselblad fangirl from way back, because I have always appreciated their V system and glass.

Kind regards,
    Darr
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Finances aside, the CFV would be perfect addition for me. Same files in every respect as my current X1D means I have a backup camera within the same system but still can do different things. The X1D would still be preferred for portraits with the XCD90, while the CFV would be beautiful on the Alpa PLUS with tech lenses for example.
    Or CFV + the XCD21 for a modern walk-around SWC. Maybe the CFV and my Canon FD to H adapter and put on the FDn 50/1.4 and shoot wide open for tons and tons of character (my copy is excellent). Of course, not to forget that I can dust off my old 500 CM and put on the CF 350 and give that a go.

So many ways of configuring this system. I like it. I like it a lot.
    Alpa 12 Plus • TC | Schneider 90N | Schneider 120N | Hasselblad X1D | XCD 21 | XCD 45 | XCD 90 | www.danlindberg.com

Post Thanks / Like

Good question!
    I cannot speak for others, but I am happy to explain my reasoning for considering the CFV 50c II and possibly a 907x:

Some quick background: I have been shooting the V system for 30+ years. First commercially, then as digital slowly replaced commercial film use, I made the switch, but continue to shoot film for art projects. The Hasselblad CF lenses I use have a look that is different from the Schneider and Rodenstock lenses I shoot with. I have shot the same test scenes on all apertures with CF lenses and Schneider lenses only to find the CF lenses have a different look I call a visual personality. Today I spend more time with art projects than commercial work and very much want to keep the CF lenses in my tool box.

When the first CFV-50c back came out a few years ago, I bought one. I have been using it on my Hasselblad cameras (501CM and Flexbody) and Alpa Max and TC cameras for a few years now. It is a competent back, but the 44x33 crop size gets old quickly with the tight aspect ratio of the CF lenses (1.7x crop factor if you shoot square).

If I can shoot the CF lenses with the 50c II back and have a better focusing tool like focus peaking, then I am interested. If the new back cannot offer focus peaking or an upgraded option for focusing over the 50c back I already use, then I am not interested, and will look into another digital back.

Focusing the CF lenses is a challenge. The focus plane is a sliver no matter what aperture you shoot at, and I figure that is where the unique look comes from. I have never experienced focusing issues with any lens on my digital backs other than the CF lenses so "designed for digital" does mean something. To me, the CF lenses are more like shooting older view camera lenses where the corners get so dark you can't see to focus, except it is not dark, it just looks like your in focus until you magnify it and see you have missed the focal plane by a painful smidgen. But when you nail it, oh the magic!

The X1D is a sweet looking camera, but if I cannot use CF lenses, shoot squares on film, and incorporate my tech cameras with it, it does not work for me.
    The 907x mated with the 21/4 lens will be of interest to me for the aspect ratio if I get all the other stuff I want.
    I am a Hasselblad fangirl from way back, because I have always appreciated their V system and glass.

Kind regards,
    Darr
    Live view with focussing aids (and auto focus with the 907) is certainly available with the new back. The problem with the V system will be, that you need to open the gates for that first. Which is ... clumsy at best. Fine with tripod, maybe.

I still have the old Mark I back to keep my 203 and 501 alive but honestly, I do not shot it often anymore. Focussing is difficult wide open, as you correctly stated, live view is close to useless for what I do. But when I pull it out, it definitely is a cool feeling to take pictures with it. 50 MP does it for me, seriously.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Photon42 View Post
    Live view with focussing aids (and auto focus with the 907) is certainly available with the new back. The problem with the V system will be, that you need to open the gates for that first. Which is ... clumsy at best. Fine with tripod, maybe.

I still have the old Mark I back to keep my 203 and 501 alive but honestly, I do not shot it often anymore. Focussing is difficult wide open, as you correctly stated, live view is close to useless for what I do. But when I pull it out, it definitely is a cool feeling to take pictures with it. 50 MP does it for me, seriously.
    Hmm. I've never had any difficulty focusing my Hasselblad 500 series cameras and lenses. The Acute Matte screen is one of the best in the industry ... I updated the 500CM to that screen within days of buying the body in 2012. Why is it so much more difficult to focus when using a digital back on a 500 series SLR? Don't you focus the same way? That's what I did when I tested the CFV50c back, and my test photos seemed to be focused right on the money.

AF with XCD 21mm and the 907x body will be a nice plus. Of course, with the SWC I mostly just set focus by scale and got great results unless I was doing repro-copy with the camera, and then I used the ground glass back and a 45° prism finder. Using such a short focal length, wide field of view lens (and cropping to a square), you should set f/8 and 6 foot distance, then everything from about 3 feet to infinity should be be in reasonable focus. This isn't hard...

I've always put Hasselblad cameras on a tripod the vast majority of the time... That's how you get the most out of these fantastic lenses and the big format. Why is that now considered "clumsy"?

Sorry for all the questions.

G

"My sharpest lens is a sturdy tripod."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Photon42 View Post
    I still have the old Mark I back to keep my 203 and 501 alive but honestly, I do not shot it often anymore....
    I will take piece of junk off your hands then XD... seriously, droooooool (how come there's no drool emoji in a camera forum?)

Post Thanks / Like

Make a slightly larger back with the real estate to take a removable tiltable OVF and a removable grip porting a 2ndry OLED and you have the next H series - that can morph into the CFV and/or strip-down for transport

Post Thanks / Like

The Hasselblad Flexbody provides a great means for using the Series V Lenses in conjunction with the CFV50c Digital Back. The two stage mechanism of the Flexbody is turned clockwise to cock the shutter and a second turn to open the aperture. At this point the shutter is open and the lens aperture is wide open such that in theory Live View composing and focusing is available. Hopefully the higher resolution LCD Screen and improved Live View Functionality of the CFV50c II will greatly enhance the Flexbody User Experience. Based upon the Flexibody mechanism I suspect that Hasselblad could have designed an Adapter to permit use of the Series V Lens Shutters with the X1D System. It is interesting that the Phase One Digital Backs in the V Mount had a pair of mounting mechanisms oriented at 90 degrees so the back could be attached in either position. Since the Phase One IQ150 or IQ250 Digital Backs have much better Live View Performance than the CFV50c, they are an alternative for Flexibody use.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fotophil View Post
    Based upon the Flexibody mechanism I suspect that Hasselblad could have designed an Adapter to permit use of the Series V Lens Shutters with the X1D System. It is interesting that the Phase One Digital Backs in the V Mount had a pair of mounting mechanisms oriented at 90 degrees so the back could be attached in either position. Since the Phase One IQ150 or IQ250 Digital Backs have much better Live View Performance than the CFV50c, they are an alternative for Flexibody use.
    Based on the fact that Hasselblad already builds an adapter to allow use of the V lens shutters on the H cameras (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...apter_for.html), I tend to agree with you.

As for making the CFV mountable in either position, I think this would make the mechanical coupling to V bodies unworkable. One of the nicest things about the CFV is the way it integrates seamlessly with even the oldest V bodies without the need for sync cables.

Post Thanks / Like

After using my CFV50c back for several years I have found that the use of a flash sync cable provides more convenient operation for shutter speeds longer than 1/8 sec. Cable free operation of the back works well with exposure times 1/8 sec and faster but requires adjustments to the digital back camera settings for longer times. Since I often shoot longer times, I found it easier to use a flash cable. The flash cable will also support bulb setting. I guess for my work style I would prefer having 90 degree rotation but cable free operation is handy most of the time.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Doesn't anyone have a response with respect to the question I posed on focusing? Interesting.

G

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Doesn't anyone have a response with respect to the question I posed on focusing? Interesting.

G
    Which question?

M

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mristuccia View Post
    Here is a detailed view of the connection ports (taken from the hands-on review on the DPReview website):

Flash sync is there, like in the previous version.
    The original CFV50c uses a mechanical pin extending from the back side of the 500C camera body which is activated by the shutter release button and initiates the exposure thereby eliminating the need for an external cable connection. I image the new version 2 back uses the same technique so a flash sync cable is still required for non-Hasselblad Applications. Although the cable free aspect of the CFV50 Series backs is very convenient, the mechanical triggering device can be touchy and which leads to sync errors with the back. For example, in addition to errors resulting from the incorrect camera shutter speed settings on the back, the speed at which the camera release button is pushed can also affect the timing. In my experience the biggest weakness in original CFV50c back is a combination of very poor live view support and a low resolution LCD Screen. Hopefully the new version will address these issues.

Post Thanks / Like

As others have mentioned, the manual focus support of the original CFV50c Back is hampered by a poor live view design. One of the design goals for the new back must included an improvement in this area. I don't believe that there will be any autofocus support offered by the CFV50c II. It appears that the new 907X Body lens mount has electronic communication with the XCD lenses in order to support the shutter and aperture operation. I wonder if the 907X draws electrical power from the CFV50c-II battery or if it has a battery. I also wonder how the shutter release on the 907X triggers the CFV50c-II back. It's great that Hasselblad has given us some options for marrying our vintage gear with new digital technology.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MGrayson View Post
    Which question?

M
    See the first paragraph of https://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium-...tml#post791551.

G

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

As others have mentioned, the manual focus support of the original CFV50c Back is hampered by a poor live view design. One of the design goals for the new back must included an improvement in this area. I don't believe that there will be any autofocus support offered by the CFV50c II. It appears that the new 907X Body lens mount has electronic communication with the XCD lenses in order to support the shutter and aperture operation. I wonder if the 907X draws electrical power from the CFV50c-II battery or if it has a battery. I also wonder how the shutter release on the 907X triggers the CFV50c-II back. It's great that Hasselblad has given us some options for marrying our vintage gear with new digital technology.
    - Why is your focus with the original CFV50c hampered by a poor Live View design? Don't you focus your Hasselblad reflex camera the same way you always did, or is that for some reason not accurate with the digital back? Isn't Live View an adjunct to the standard reflex focusing system of the Hasselblad 500 series bodies as opposed to the only focusing mechanism for use with the CFV50c back?

(These are essentially the questions I asked before and got no comments on.)

- I can't see any space for a battery in the 907x body, so it must draw and pass through power from the CFV50c II back through the provided contacts on the back and the 907x body. Similarly, it has to power and control XCD lenses' servos and aperture the same way, as well as signal the body's shutter release button action, as well as that control knob that surrounds it, whatever that might do, to the back, etc.

- Since it has to pass through these control signals and power, there's no reason it cannot also drive the XCD lenses autofocus capabilities. Of course, there can't be any autofocus with V system lenses since they are manual focus lenses.

The CFV50c II back has inside it the same battery that powers the X1D bodies, so it should have plenty of power for all these things.

G

Post Thanks / Like

- Why is your focus with the original CFV50c hampered by a poor Live View design? Don't you focus your Hasselblad reflex camera the same way you always did, or is that for some reason not accurate with the digital back? Isn't Live View an adjunct to the standard reflex focusing system of the Hasselblad 500 series bodies as opposed to the only focusing mechanism for use with the CFV50c back?

G
    Recently I've stuck an H5D-50c back on a tech cam, which I believe has live view capabilities similar to the original CFV-50c.

Live view on the H5D-50c works, but the screen is relatively low resolution, it has a low refresh rate, it doesn't do well in bright sunlight, and can be slow to adjust to changing lighting conditions. I imagine live view on the original CFV-50c is similar. It works, but it's not great.

Live view on the original X1D is much much better than that of the H5D-50c, so if the CFV-50cII has live view on par with or better than the original X1D (or maybe equal to that of the X1DII), IMHO it will be much easier to use and produce better results than the live view of the original CFV-50c.

Post Thanks / Like

I use the CFV50c on my Flexbody, Arc Body, SWC and 500C as well as a Cambo Technical Camera. Although through-the-lens focusing is possible with all these cameras using a ground glass back as it was it the film days, I have trouble obtaining accurate focus on relatively dim ground glass images. The Live View Feature of a CMOS Digitsl Back has the potential for providing a much better alternative for precise focus and as a result most technical camera photography is now based upon Live View Focusing with CMOS Backs from Phase One and Leaf. Although the CFV50c back uses a CMOS Sensor, the primary application for the original Back was for Hasselblad single lens reflex cameras so the Live View Support Function was not optimized and the back was equipped with a relatively low resolution LCD Screen. Hopefully the new back will have good Live View Capabilities.

I don't know if the CFV50c-II will be able to support auto focus of the XCD lenses. As we discussed previously, the new 907X Body should be able to control shutter and aperture functions through the lens mount electrical contacts but is there is a means of data communication between the CFV50c and 907X to support Autofocus?

The CFV50c II back has inside it the same battery that powers the X1D bodies, so it should have plenty of power for all these things.

I wonder if the CFV50c-II Back will use the same battery as the X1D Series. The back will need some type of connection to provide power to the 907X Body. Alternatively the 907X might have a separate battery.

I am anxious to see the technical details of the new back as well as the price. I paid $10000 for my CFV50C back many years ago - I sure hope the new back has a lower price!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tcdeveau View Post
    Recently I've stuck an H5D-50c back on a tech cam, which I believe has live view capabilities similar to the original CFV-50c.

Live view on the H5D-50c works, but the screen is relatively low resolution, it has a low refresh rate, it doesn't do well in bright sunlight, and can be slow to adjust to changing lighting conditions. I imagine live view on the original CFV-50c is similar. It works, but it's not great.

Live view on the original X1D is much much better than that of the H5D-50c, so if the CFV-50cII has live view on par with or better than the original X1D (or maybe equal to that of the X1DII), IMHO it will be much easier to use and produce better results than the live view of the original CFV-50c.
    That makes sense in the context of a technical camera, I understand. I expect the CFV50c II will have much the same capabilities as the X1D II, since it seems for all intents and purposes to be the business end of the X1D II minus the lens mount, grip, and hard controls packaged in a different form factor. Whether this is actually true or not, I will have to wait until there are some of these backs available somewhere so that I can try one out...

My query was with respect to the use of the back CFV50c II on a Hasselblad 500 series body, like my 500CM, since that is my primary reason for wanting one of them. I don't believe (at this moment) that I'll be buying a technical camera.

G

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if the CFV50c-II will be able to support auto focus of the XCD lenses.
    AF capability with XCD lenses is already confirmed in the description at Hasselblad's site: "When combined with the 907X camera body, the photographer gains access to the entire XCD Lens range, providing autofocus and autoexposure".

I assume the new back in combination with the 907X is a X1DII in another form factor and without the EVF. So I don't see why not all functions of the X1DII should be available.

What I really hope is that the new back and 907x with XCD lenses allows for "tap and shoot AF". That in combination with the articulated LCD and faster electronics would make a fine street photography camera.
    Last edited by siddhaarta; 28th June 2019 at 11:39.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I use the CFV50c on my Flexbody, Arc Body, SWC and 500C as well as a Cambo Technical Camera. Although through-the-lens focusing is possible with all these cameras using a ground glass back as it was it the film days, I have trouble obtaining accurate focus on relatively dim ground glass images. The Live View Feature of a CMOS Digitsl Back has the potential for providing a much better alternative for precise focus and as a result most technical camera photography is now based upon Live View Focusing with CMOS Backs from Phase One and Leaf. Although the CFV50c back uses a CMOS Sensor, the primary application for the original Back was for Hasselblad single lens reflex cameras so the Live View Support Function was not optimized and the back was equipped with a relatively low resolution LCD Screen. Hopefully the new back will have good Live View Capabilities.

I don't know if the CFV50c-II will be able to support auto focus of the XCD lenses. As we discussed previously, the new 907X Body should be able to control shutter and aperture functions through the lens mount electrical contacts but is there is a means of data communication between the CFV50c and 907X to support Autofocus?

I wonder if the CFV50c-II Back will use the same battery as the X1D Series. The back will need some type of connection to provide power to the 907X Body. Alternatively the 907X might have a separate battery.

I am anxious to see the technical details of the new back as well as the price. I paid $10000 for my CFV50C back many years ago - I sure hope the new back has a lower price!
    Thanks for the clarity of your first paragraph. It seems from your statements and the rest of the folks talking about Live View on this thread that most of the purpose and need is for technical cameras that can use Hasselblad backs, and as a higher resolution way of obtaining critical focus. I am only interested in use of the CFV50c II back with a Hasselblad 500CM, which I have no problems focusing critically, so the Live View in that case is mostly a nice adjunct only. Where it will be more important to me is for use with the 907x and XCD lenses, since it becomes the primary focusing/framing tool in that case.

The inner quote above was my statement in a previous post.

Based on the Hasselblad video about the CVF50c II and 907x, and other videos on YouTube pointed to in this thread, the battery inside the back is identical to the X1D battery. Hasselblad's announcement press release stated: "The CFV II 50C digital back can be paired with most Hasselblad V System cameras made from 1957 and onwards in addition to technical cameras, making it easy to combine analog and digital shooting. When combined with the 907X camera body, the photographer gains access to the entire XCD Lens range, providing autofocus and autoexposure."

This says pretty clearly that the CFV50cII+907x handles things correctly with the XCD lenses, including control and AF.

Yes, I hope the new back sells for close to what the X1D II will sell for, and that the 907x body isn't outrageously priced as well.

G

Post Thanks / Like

I am only interested in use of the CFV50c II back with a Hasselblad 500CM, which I have no problems focusing critically, so the Live View in that case is mostly a nice adjunct only.
    If you shoot mostly wide angles, on a tripod, and mostly stopped down then you probably don't notice any focus issues.

If you're using your V system as a walk around camera, with longer lenses, and only shoot one or two stops down then you *will* have focus issues and these *will* be much more evident on digital capture than on film where the grain increases perceived sharpness. I have a split prism screen and I still miss focus from time to time because 99.9% of the things I shoot are not with a tripod, I'm probably going to see a more of this if I go for a digital back.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by leejo View Post
    If you shoot mostly wide angles, on a tripod, and mostly stopped down then you probably don't notice any focus issues.

If you're using your V system as a walk around camera, with longer lenses, and only shoot one or two stops down then you *will* have focus issues and these *will* be much more evident on digital capture than on film where the grain increases perceived sharpness. I have a split prism screen and I still miss focus from time to time because 99.9% of the things I shoot are not with a tripod, I'm probably going to see a more of this if I go for a digital back.
    I mostly only used the SWC as a "walk around" camera, the 500CM is most often used with the Makro-Planar 120/4 on a tripod, although I've wandered about with it using both the Planar 80 and the Sonnar 150 as well. Things seem plenty sharp on film with APX25 and Kodak Technical Pan films, can't see how these films' almost invisible grain add to the image sharpness... ? I was, with these slow films, often at wide open aperture out of necessity to keep a fast enough exposure time.

This is all mystifying to me. I have always enjoyed my Hasselblad cameras and their lenses because of how incredibly sharp and detailed the photos they make are. I don't see how switching to a digital back will make focusing them more difficult, unless there is some misregistration of the sensor plane compared to the film plane.

G

Post Thanks / Like

I mostly only used the SWC as a "walk around" camera
    Yeah, which is a very wide angle with a max aperture of f4.5. If you focus wide open at 2m you've got a very wide margin of error (+/- 50cm).

This is all mystifying to me. I have always enjoyed my Hasselblad cameras and their lenses because of how incredibly sharp and detailed the photos they make are. I don't see how switching to a digital back will make focusing them more difficult, unless there is some misregistration of the sensor plane compared to the film plane.
    It won't make focusing more difficult, it'll just reveal the the misses when you look closer because film has grain and digital doesn't. Barry Thornton covered some of this in his book.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by leejo View Post

I fully second this.
    Even with a tripod, achieving precise focus by means of the Hasselblad V OVF is really hard.
    Firstly the full OVF chain (back + mirror + acutematt screen) must be precisely calibrated by a professional service. Without this, missing the focus is almost certain. Then, even if everything is well aligned, OVF is (IMHO) still not sufficient to notice slight focus deviations, especially when using large apertures and long focal lenses.
    When checking the image at 100% magnification even the smallest deviation from the exact focus plane is clearly visible as misfocus.

On film it is a totally different story, in that case OVF works great!
    Marco Ristuccia
    photography.marcoristuccia.com
    "Unconcerned but not indifferent."

Post Thanks / Like

Film isn’t even perfectly flat.
    I used to assist a photographer who shot a P45 on a 500cm and focus was never a given which was why we always shot tethered and checked focus as we went.
    They are just tools for a job.

Post Thanks / Like

Getting your body calibrated was always a good idea, particularly if you used ultra high-resolution films like Copex or Tech Pan (both of which exceed the resolution of any currently available digital back), as was using a focusing magnifier. I should think that would help a lot with the new CFV as well. There's still going to be a certain amount of unavoidable "slop" in the system, of course, but that's true of any SLR.

Post Thanks / Like

After watching a couple Hasselblad Videos and reading the posts on this forum I now realize the depth of technical features offered by the new CFV50c-ll Back. By comparison, the old CFV50c Back that I have been using for years on my 500C seems prehistoric; it is a "dumb" back and doesn't communicate anything but shutter release. Per the video, the CFV50c-ll is a "Smart" back which has some gold plated contacts that provide a complete working interface including touch screen, auto focus and controls with the 907X Camera Body. The addition of those controls as well as improved Live View are huge enhancements over the original CFV50c. Now I am worried about the price of the new back - any thoughts on cost?