The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad CFV ll 50c

Godfrey

So which will be cheaper the new X1D II or buying the back and 907x ?
I'm not sure I see the advantage over the X1D though if you're still going to use the X lenses
As part of a camera system, it has a very different purpose from the X1D. The CFVII gives you the ability to use your existing Hasselblad V system equipment (whether you believe the lenses are good enough to get the best quality out of it or not...) with a fully digital workflow. The 907x gives you the ability to use the XCD lenses as well in the same modular Hasselblad system.

The X1D II is supposedly just under $6000. I would expect the CVFII back to be priced similarly, since it is the complex part of the kit, and the 907X to be relatively inexpensive as "bodies" go.

G

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I wonder if this will work as well on the Fuji GX680 as the old ones did. In any case, used older backs will hopefully fall in price as a result of this.

richardman

So which will be cheaper the new X1D II or buying the back and 907x ?

I'm not sure I see the advantage over the X1D though if you're still going to use the X lenses
Only Hasselblad knows the prices ;-) but if you only shoot with XCD lens, I'd imagine the X1D would be better, with integrated grip, EVF etc. CFV II 50C is for us who prefer the weapon of a more civilized time, where the bright WLF and the massive Zeiss lens make the heart sings. And then add the 907X and 20mm, the siren of SWC sings anew...

richardman

from a technical point of view - is it possible that we can see a 100mp back from hasselblad with this setup?
Only if they solve the heat dissipation and the sharpness problems. The latter will probably require IBIS, and there probably isn't enough space.

Swissblad

Announcement of this back is the big news, IMO. It has several advances over the old one: battery in body, flip screen and a high resolution LCD.
And the 907x body idea is just terrific.
How about pricing and availability, Hasselblad?
To me this new CFV / 907X system is simply brilliant - very very exited!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

OleBe

To me this new CFV / 907X system is simply brilliant - very very exited!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
Me too! Hopefully they get the pricing right. Judging what the cfv has less in features vs. the X1D II (evf, gps) the production costs should be less compared to the camera. So I also hope for a price below X1D II.

danlindberg

I am very excited about the CFV! Together with the 907x it looks fantastic and I am hoping it plays well with the Alpa!!! Could be the ticket back to wideangle tech setup :thumbup:

leejo

Long time 'blad user and sporadic reader of the forum here. I was about to sell my 203FE and 202FA setups and take a sidestep. The CFV II 50c has me reconsidering my options, but this will very much depend on the details.

I wrote about my experience with 'blads a couple of years ago (Google "Ten Years With a Hasselblad"). Anyway, at the end I summarised: "This is an unfortunate situation that Fuji/Hasselblad have now created. The market for new and used digital medium format backs for V series cameras, those of higher resolution and quality, is now essentially dead. Unless Hasselblad can release one at a much lower cost than the mirrorless cameras, which is unlikely to happen as that will impact the mirrorless sales. The V series in digital form is now over from a development point of view."

So I'm pleasantly surprised to see this announcement. I suspect the reason the they haven't released the price of the back is that it is going to cost less than the X camera, potentially significantly less. They don't want this to impact sales of the new X model so are holding back for a few months to get those orders in first (?). Of course, this is what I'm hoping for. Given the CFV II is using the same tech as the X but is in simplified form, and the tooling for the back already exists so they're simply retrofitting existing tech with minor tooling tweaks and updating some of the software. Theoretically they can sell this at lower price point, and that would be a big response to Fuji, et al.

The sticking points are two things:

1) The compatibility with V models - Exactly which models? If it can work with 200 series bodies without the use of a cable and without modification of the bodies then I'm sold. If it can work with the 200 series + FE lenses then even better.

2) Hasselblad's commitment to continue and re-evaluate service options on V series bodies. I spoke to Hasselblad UK a year or two ago and they said the 200 series are no longer being worked on. This is, of course, a massive problem. There's no point releasing this back if they're going to EOL the V series service options. Extending the service options could be a good source of income for Hasselblad given the number of V bodies still in use and available, they need to commit to it if they want to sell lots of these backs.

leejo

Long time 'blad user and sporadic reader of the forum here. I was about to sell my 203FE and 202FA setups and take a sidestep. The CFV II 50c has me reconsidering my options, but this will very much depend on the details.

I wrote about my experience with 'blads a couple of years ago (Google "Ten Years With a Hasselblad"). Anyway, at the end I summarised: "This is an unfortunate situation that Fuji/Hasselblad have now created. The market for new and used digital medium format backs for V series cameras, those of higher resolution and quality, is now essentially dead. Unless Hasselblad can release one at a much lower cost than the mirrorless cameras, which is unlikely to happen as that will impact the mirrorless sales. The V series in digital form is now over from a development point of view."

So I'm pleasantly surprised to see this announcement. I suspect the reason the they haven't released the price of the back is that it is going to cost less than the X camera, potentially significantly less. They don't want this to impact sales of the new X model so are holding back for a few months to get those orders in first (?). Of course, this is what I'm hoping for. Given the CFV II is using the same tech as the X but is in simplified form, and the tooling for the back already exists so they're simply retrofitting existing tech with minor tooling tweaks and updating some of the software. Theoretically they can sell this at lower price point, and that would be a big response to Fuji, et al.

1) The compatibility with V models - Exactly which models? If it can work with 200 series bodies without the use of a cable and without modification of the bodies then I'm sold. If it can work with the 200 series + FE lenses then even better.

2) Hasselblad's commitment to continue and re-evaluate service options on V series bodies. I spoke to Hasselblad UK a year or two ago and they said the 200 series are no longer being worked on. This is, of course, a massive problem. There's no point releasing this back if they're going to EOL the V series service options. Extending the service options could be a good source of income for Hasselblad given the number of V bodies still in use and available, they need to commit to it if they want to sell lots of these backs and especially so if they're hanging on the promise of working with these cameras.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Only if they solve the heat dissipation and the sharpness problems. The latter will probably require IBIS, and there probably isn't enough space.
Does HB already have a 100MP back for the H system ? I know it doesn t mate with the V series but it is about the same technical challenge .

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member

2) Hasselblad's commitment to continue and re-evaluate service options on V series bodies. I spoke to Hasselblad UK a year or two ago and they said the 200 series are no longer being worked on. This is, of course, a massive problem. There's no point releasing this back if they're going to EOL the V series service options. Extending the service options could be a good source of income for Hasselblad given the number of V bodies still in use and available, they need to commit to it if they want to sell lots of these backs and especially so if they're hanging on the promise of working with these cameras.
Not a chance that the new back will cost less than the new X1D 2 .

tcdeveau

Not a chance that the new back will cost less than the new X1D 2 .
I hope they can at least keep it in the same ball park, if so they’ll probably sell a boat load of them and make a lot of people very happy (including possibly myself).

My own excitement for the back will diminish pretty quickly if the price creeps up past $6-7k or so

Photon42

The old CVF-50c works fine with the 203FE, digitally modified and the 500 series. If I recall correctly, the 203 worked as well unmodified, but then in 500C compatibility mode.
I had a very old SWC at some point, where the back just did not mount (not because of the battery). Neither Hasselblad nor the local rep could help. I would think that the new back has the same level of compatibility.
The new back is cool, but on a legacy body, it does not seem to offer much over the old version. Obviously it adds functionality to help the new 907 to drive AF for XCD lenses. I would not be surprised HB comes out in less than two years with a 100 MPix body. Financially, this would make sense.

Jan

Historically Hasselblad used the names SWC, 903 and 905. A 907 is now announced, is it fair to say it will therefore fit non-Hasselblad V mount digital backs?

Photon42

I am not even very sure my CFV-50c Mark I would operate properly. I understand the thing will have an AF option and even MF you need to see what you are doing. The Live View function of the Mark I is pathetic.

TheDude

... I suspect the reason the they haven't released the price of the back is that it is going to cost less than the X camera, potentially significantly less. They don't want this to impact sales of the new X model so are holding back for a few months to get those orders in first (?) ... Theoretically they can sell this at lower price point ...

Not a bit overly optimistic!

The original CFV-50c was introduced with a retail price of about $15K ($12.5K special introductory price in Japan).

onasj

What is the crop factor using 6x6 lenses on a 645 sensor? 80mm becomes what?
80 mm focal length is still 80 mm focal length, but on a 53.4x40 mm sensor the field of view is equivalent to that of a 50 mm lens on a 24x18 (35 mm) sensor.