The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad CFV ll 50c

leejo

Not a bit overly optimistic!

The original CFV-50c was introduced with a retail price of about $15K ($12.5K special introductory price in Japan).
Five years ago. When the MF digital market was very different and when costs were higher.

Hasselblad have just slashed $3,000 off the price for the new X, which is a clear sign they are competing with Fuji and no longer following their previous pricing models. I expect the CFV II 50c to be selling for not more than $5,000 with the X mount an extra $2,000 or so on top.

Sure, I'm optimistic :)

leejo

The old CVF-50c works fine with the 203FE, digitally modified and the 500 series. If I recall correctly, the 203 worked as well unmodified, but then in 500C compatibility mode.
The problem is the V series are essentially EOL'd, especially the 200 series. If Hasselblad are still going to offer the conversion to work with FE lenses / metering then that's nice but they need to make sure they commit to servicing the bodies as well. If I pick up a CFV II 50c I want to get five years out of it at a minimum, and that means at least one if not two service cycles for the bodies.

The new back is cool, but on a legacy body, it does not seem to offer much over the old version.
At a lower price point it would compel a lot of users to look into Hasselblad over Fuji. That's the dilemma they're facing. MF digital is now starting to appeal to the prosumer market and pros who would not have previously looked into MF cameras, and Hasselblad can't miss that opportunity.

I'm just speculating here. Hasselblad know how much the CFV II 50c is going to cost to make, they have all the tooling in place, they know the profit margins, so why haven't they announced the price? Because if they do they will cannibalise sales of the new X body. I was originally going to sell my 203FE + 110mm FE setup to fund the new X, but i'm going to hold on to see if my theory is true.

TheDude

I expect the CFV II 50c to be selling for not more than $5,000
Maybe not at introduction but perhaps after a couple of months (hopefully!).

I wouldn't be surprised if a CFV-100c is already in the works, and when introduced, might push down the price of the CFV II 50c to that level.

Last edited:

OleBe

Five years ago. When the MF digital market was very different and when costs were higher.

Hasselblad have just slashed $3,000 off the price for the new X, which is a clear sign they are competing with Fuji and no longer following their previous pricing models. I expect the CFV II 50c to be selling for not more than $5,000 with the X mount an extra $2,000 or so on top.

Sure, I'm optimistic :)
Good points! In my opinion both the mount and the back together will be cheaper then the X1D II, seriously they have to. The back does not have GPS, or an EVF and should be easier to assemble as well... I cannot figure out a single reason why one should buy this combo over the X1D II if it would be more expensive with less features.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Good points! In my opinion both the mount and the back together will be cheaper then the X1D II, seriously they have to. The back does not have GPS, or an EVF and should be easier to assemble as well... I cannot figure out a single reason why one should buy this combo over the X1D II if it would be more expensive with less features.
There is not a chance that the back and the 907 will be less than the x1d 2..its only $5750. The product is aimed at someone that can benefit from the versatility of a modular back ....thru using a V series kit or perhaps a view camera . The last CV back was $15K ...a better guess would be around $10K for the back and another $5k for the 907 .

TheDude

The last CV back was $15K ...a better guess would be around $10K for the back and another $5k for the 907.
In view of prices of other cameras using the IMX161 sensor, somehow I feel $7-8K could be expected for the CVF II.

Update: A well-informed and very trustworthy source told me this morning that the price of the CVF II will be in the same ballpark as the X1D II.

Last edited:

TheDude

There was no electronic shutter in the X1D when it was first released - it was added by a firmware update (after Hasselblad said for months that it was "impossible"). Since it looks (from the UI) like the CFV is running the same firmware as the X, I assume it will be available there (with the same 300msec readout constraint).
The data sheet for the IMX161AQP-C sensor states, "diagonal 55 mm (Type 3.4) CMOS ... 51.4 M effective pixels. ... 14-bit digital output makes it possible to readout the signals of 51.4 M effective pixels at high-speed of 3.3 frames/s in still picture mode." https://bit.ly/2KtX3aE

Seems that readout speed is an intrinsic characteristic of the sensor design. In other words, we are stuck with the (slow!) 3.3 frames/s (300msec) readout speed.

There is not a chance that the back and the 907 will be less than the x1d 2..its only $5750. The product is aimed at someone that can benefit from the versatility of a modular back ....thru using a V series kit or perhaps a view camera . The last CV back was $15K ...a better guess would be around $10K for the back and another $5k for the 907 .
Did Hassy eventually drop the price on the original CFV? When I looked at them while they were still in production, they were $10k.

My guess is $7k for the back, $3k for the body, and another $3k if you want to add the grip and optical finder.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
I hope it will works with an arca RM3D !

i need a good live view for it...at an affordable price !
ARCA offers a V-SYTEM adapter for the RM3D and even a ROTAMOUNT as well .
These adapters can also be used for the F-LINE METRIC 6x9 .

tcdeveau

Is it possible that we will see this system upgrading to a tilt shift system - technically possible with Rodi Lenses ?
Why not just buy a tech cam if someone wants this functionality? That way you’re not locked into a Hasselblad ecosystem, and the functionality is already present.

I bought my Alpa STC for less than the cost of a Hasselblad HTS 1.5, and what I paid for my rodenstocks open/box used was on par with what HB has been charging for the latest XCD offerings.

Of course I’d welcome a solution from Hasselblad (maybe something like the arc body?) as the more options the better, but there are already systems available for this functionality of one wants/needs it.

archivue

ARCA offers a V-SYTEM adapter for the RM3D and even a ROTAMOUNT as well .
These adapters can also be used for the F-LINE METRIC 6x9 .
yes of course, but I can't see any sync cable plug on this back... and not all backs are good with movements... and LCC are made in capture one... not focus...

tcdeveau

yes of course, but I can't see any sync cable plug on this back... and not all backs are good with movements... and LCC are made in capture one... not focus...
It is yet to be seen if the CFVII has a sync port or not, there is an assumption that it should have an electronic shutter like the X1D....if so no sync port is needed unless you rely on a mechanical shutter for flash sync.

The 50mp IMX161 FSI sensor isn't the best with movements as you mentioned. The 100mp IXM461 BSI sensor of the GFX100 should perform better, if the tests of the BSI IQ4 150mp are any indication. Hoping for a 100mp at some point in this regard.

LCC's are not only made in C1, but can also be made in Phocus. In Phocus, it is called "scene calibration" (see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7iggTakk-M)

epforever

As tcdeveau pointed out, you can make LCCs in Phocus, and they are very clean. You can adjust the degree of cast removal and intensity (vignetting) equalization, as in Capture One. The latest version of Phocus even has a checkbox for removal of any checkerboard artifacts / patterns. Phocus's shadow and highlight recovery functions are now much better than they used to be as well -- they used to make the entire image a lot flatter; now they're more isolated. Hasselblad has been improving the software steadily.

leejo

It is yet to be seen if the CFVII has a sync port or not, there is an assumption that it should have an electronic shutter like the X1D....if so no sync port is needed unless you rely on a mechanical shutter for flash sync.
There's a short video on youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXCgT18J-5k) that shows the back having the same replaceable battery as the X camera, dual card slots, and shows the connectivity ports on the bottom.

dave.gt

There's a short video on youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXCgT18J-5k) that shows the back having the same replaceable battery as the X camera, dual card slots, and shows the connectivity ports on the bottom.
Well, it certainly appears to be a seamless connection to a V camera::thumbup:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gNJPmk5wIHw

***Open note to Hasselblad...if anyone is reading this forum...***
"The latest entry into the new chapter of Hasselblad history is welcomed. But I am afraid that the new 907 missed the mark where the charm of a V system camera is really in the WLF, not an add-on finder.

Your video (above) even markets the idea but on an old camera body which I love but, seriously, HB doesn't even make film backs anymore, much less a new version of the V camera. Yet marketing capitalizes on nostalgia. Please go the second mile and offer a true V system solution and even if it is "only" the V1D, that is ok... except it still does not take a film back."

Make us proud. :)