The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad CFV ll 50c

Godfrey

I don't make any plans for any equipment I order until I have it in my hands AND have tested it. :D

G

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Remember: No matter what a company says, until a camera is in your hands, it doesn't exist.

This is key to enjoying photography. Unless you enjoy the wait. I like contemplating purchases, but only for things I can actually purchase. I'd love to play with an S3, but there isn't one.

Matt

Geoff

Generally pretty patient, but is it just me, or is something a bit off? We've got the announcements, the images, and not a sign of product. Or is this just internet impatience rearing its head?

Hassy is joined by Leica and Phase One as "small manufacturers taking a different route". But compare this with Alpa, for example, who are all over their public image. Would love to support Hassy, really intrigued by the new back and the 907, but gee.... not so reassured. And the silence doesn't help.

tcdeveau

Generally pretty patient, but is it just me, or is something a bit off? We've got the announcements, the images, and not a sign of product. Or is this just internet impatience rearing its head?

Hassy is joined by Leica and Phase One as "small manufacturers taking a different route". But compare this with Alpa, for example, who are all over their public image. Would love to support Hassy, really intrigued by the new back and the 907, but gee.... not so reassured. And the silence doesn't help.
This is how its been at least ever since the launch of the H6D and X1D back in 2016/2017 (although to be a fair a japanese earthquake affected the H6D-100c launch to a degree), and radio silence is generally how HB chooses to do business. I don't see it as something being a bit off, rather HB doing business as usual. They seem to only communicate at product launch and product shipment, and only ship things when they see them as fit to ship, regardless of any estimated availability. Heck even the dual charger and X remote were delayed by months, and those were just accessories. It gets old, especially for those of us that have been with the X system from the beginning, but you just have to hang in there and they follow through in the end. The mothership in Sweden chooses to hold their cards close to the chest for whatever reason.

I'd expect the 35-75mm and special edition 907x/CFVII to start shipping in the next month or two, but you never know with them.

Godfrey

I simply choose to absent myself from the "must have the latest thing announced RIGHT NOW!!" game. Nothing I buy has massive consequences for my photography or my life, so the only issue is that I must have faith that the manufacturer will produce and support the purchases I make. This is easier when I buy things a year or two post 'new announcement time' rather than ordering things that are newly announced. But since, in truth, I hardly need anything more at all to do my photography at this point, I see no problem with placing an order for a newly announced camera and then simply waiting for it to appear.

If I were dependent on new equipment to achieve the desired ends of a photographic business endeavor, I'd never depend upon newly announced equipment availability until I saw it at a shop. Those cares are long past for me, thankfully.

I have much more faith that Hasselblad will produce good equipment that I like using and that nets me further value from its use than what I see from most other vendors, so I wait and enjoy the anticipation... :D

G

tjv

Honestly, the lack of communication only hurts Hasselblad. Most people already believe they're on deaths door so better, open updates on progress would only help that.

Personally, I'm still hurting over their sudden drop of support for their scanners and Flextight software to keep running on 64bit platforms. No communication about that or the sudden discontinuation of that line of products either. Not exactly professional level support in my opinion, but I digress...

Abstraction

Given that the mothership is in China, rather than Sweden, they may be on the Corona virus lock down. It's safe to assume that the products will start shipping as soon as the lock down is lifted, provided the staff are still alive.

TheDude

still hurting over their sudden drop of support for their scanners and Flextight software to keep running on 64bit platforms.
They are not the only one who perhaps saw the 64bit transition as a way to "encourage" new hardware purchases.

Maybe VueScan software (no association) might work?

TheDude

I simply choose to absent myself from the "must have the latest thing announced RIGHT NOW!!" game. Nothing I buy has massive consequences for my photography or my life

And often the "latest thing" often has actually little impact on one's photography!

But here, upgrading from CVF-50c Mark I to Mark II ought to make things much easier for technical camera users. CVF-50c Mark II was announced around June with delivery hinted for late August (2019)!

Godfrey

And often the "latest thing" often has actually little impact on one's photography!

But here, upgrading from CVF-50c Mark I to Mark II ought to make things much easier for technical camera users. CVF-50c Mark II was announced around June with delivery hinted for late August (2019)!
This is true, but as with most things at announcement time, I just let it wash up on the beach and recede back into the ocean.
Unless the recent exchange between my dealer and the Hasselblad rep was him lying through his teeth or just making something up to quiet my dealer friend, the first batch of 907 Special Edition cameras (and CFV 50c II backs) should be in the hands of Hasselblad USA now, and in the middle of being distributed to vendors.

Keeping my fingers crossed, but not holding my breath. :D

G

TheDude

Unless the recent exchange between my dealer and the Hasselblad rep was him lying through his teeth or just making something up to quiet my dealer friend, the first batch of 907 Special Edition cameras (and CFV 50c II backs) should be in the hands of Hasselblad USA now, and in the middle of being distributed to vendors.
Very curious to see the first reviews of reviewers and of end-users.

tjv

Hasselblad refuse to give Hamrick the protocols and it’s too much work to reverse engineer -if that’s even possible.

Hasselblad marketed and sold these scanners new right up to OS 10.15 was released - one of my scanners is only a few years old - so it’s unconscionable in my opinion for them to abandon users, especially new owners.

But I digress... my point is simply it’s a small company that’s quite obviously running on very little resources, despite new owners.

They are not the only one who perhaps saw the 64bit transition as a way to "encourage" new hardware purchases.

Maybe VueScan software (no association) might work?

Abstraction

Hasselblad refuse to give Hamrick the protocols and it’s too much work to reverse engineer -if that’s even possible.

Hasselblad marketed and sold these scanners new right up to OS 10.15 was released - one of my scanners is only a few years old - so it’s unconscionable in my opinion for them to abandon users, especially new owners.

But I digress... my point is simply it’s a small company that’s quite obviously running on very little resources, despite new owners.
It's not a small company. It's a small division of a very large company. If they didn't want to support the old hardware, they could have given the protocols to Hamerick. It's just a crappy customer service and support. There's no need to make excuses for them.

tjv

I'm not – just trying to put it diplomatically and not force my opinions on others who are excited for a new product. My experience with Hasselblad has made me want to never buy another one of their products as a consequence, although must admit I'm quite interested in how this new CFV back if for no other reason than price point and performance with my Linhof Techno..

There's no need to make excuses for them.

Godfrey

Every manufacturer of every piece of equipment I have owned, used, and enjoyed has been lambasted on the internet for crappy customer service at one point or another .. no exceptions. It's never for one moment influenced my experience with whatever the equipment I owned and used was, or affected my purchase of more equipment from the same manufacturer.

I have my own list of manufacturers and vendors I won't buy from again due to my own experience with them and/or their products. I see little point to sharing it as it is quite certainly a list built from the disparity between my personal expectations and the reality of the specific products/service engagements I experienced, and hardly anything that I would point to as a significant criterium for purchase decisions by someone else.

I continue to enjoy awaiting my new Hasselblad equipment... :)

G