The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad CFV ll 50c

vivizen

How bulkier is the CFV II 50c, compared to the CFV I 50c? In pictures posted here, it appears that the CFV II is a bit deeper (perhaps because of the internal battery); is this true?

Godfrey

How bulkier is the CFV II 50c, compared to the CFV I 50c? In pictures posted here, it appears that the CFV II is a bit deeper (perhaps because of the internal battery); is this true?
Since I don't have the CFV 50c, only the CFVII 50c, I can't answer that. Here's what the back looks like from the side fitted to the 907x body:

My 1978 A12 backs are 45mm deep at their deepest; the CFVII 50c touches 60mm at its deepest point.

G

Abstraction

That setup seems awkward to hand hold without a grip and a viewfinder. How do you manage to hold it vertically especially since the display doesn't fully articulate?

jng

If, while shooting in landscape orientation, one can trigger the shutter with the left index finger while cradling the lens in the right hand... well, this would be like shooting with the old V system bodies, which would be sublime. The only thing missing would be the thwok! of the barn doors and mirror as they get out of the way.

John

Godfrey

That setup seems awkward to hand hold without a grip and a viewfinder. How do you manage to hold it vertically especially since the display doesn't fully articulate?
I make it simple: I have been setting the format to square crop most of the time. I don't shoot verticals very often anyway. I am just learning the camera ... only had it a couple of days. There is a control grip coming for it, eventually, along with a mount for an optical viewfinder too, I believe.

G

Abstraction

I make it simple: I have been setting the format to square crop most of the time. I don't shoot verticals very often anyway. I am just learning the camera ... only had it a couple of days. There is a control grip coming for it, eventually, along with a mount for an optical viewfinder too, I believe.

G
I wasn't aware there was a grip available for it. That would make all the difference and if you're shooting square, I can see the LCD screen being used as a waist level finder on a 6x6 film camera.

It seems like a fun toy. Enjoy it!

Godfrey

I wasn't aware there was a grip available for it. That would make all the difference and if you're shooting square, I can see the LCD screen being used as a waist level finder on a 6x6 film camera.

It seems like a fun toy. Enjoy it!
An artist's rendering and a prototype of the control grip was shown at announcement time last Summer. The body has the electrical contacts for it as well as a locating hole. So it's just a matter of time, waiting for Hasselblad to finalize the design and get it into production.

I suspect this will happen subsequent to the release of the standard version of the 907x kit. But I'm not in any hurry: I prefer shooting squares and the camera handles very nicely that way, slots into my Hasselblad mindset beautifully.

I am very happy to have just two digital cameras ... the Leica CL and the 907x/CFVII 50c kit. Of course, the latter makes both of my Hasselblad 500CMs digital cameras too. :)

G

cec8

f tRe: Hasselblad CFV ll 50c

Hi, got 907x 50th Moon edition with CFV II 50c this week while I was out of town and opened the box when I got home today. Had pre-ordered from Camera West last month. Got all 3 adapters (H, V and xpan lenses) with it since I have those lenses. Don't have any of the newer xcd lenses yet. The 907x limited edition box with CFV II back was in shrink wrap and all the accessories appear in new packaging as well as the battery still had the plastic contact cover strip that needed to be removed to use it. I found it odd that there was a 128GB lexar SDii Card in it. I have never gotten a camera that included an SD card installed in it already (have Costco camera kits that came with SD card but not installed). It showed when I put the SD card in my computer that it was formatted in Jan 25th but no pictures on it. Has anyone got one of these that had an SD card installed? Also there was no cellophane plastic protector on the LCD screen or the sensor, is that normal? I am wondering if this was used as a demo? it seems perfect, and the fact that the battery plastic strip was still on it would seem unlikely it was used. See picture with the 907z with HC 110 2.2 lens using the adapter. Definitely needs some form of a grip since it is awkward to hold and hand can overlap with the autofocus movement if hand near the front of the lens. Overall, just a few photos at home and they seem amazing. The LCD screen is super sharp.

Regards,
CC

Attachments

Hi, got 907x 50th Moon edition with CFV II 50c this week while I was out of town and opened the box when I got home today. Had pre-ordered from Camera West last month. Got all 3 adapters (H, V and xpan lenses) with it since I have those lenses.
Regards,
CC

can't wait for the xpan photos.

cec8

Yes, should be interesting with the 30mm xpan lens. I am guessing the 907x and digital back will recognize lens and the LCD with match the FOV. Will be nice not to have to use the separate finder for the 30mm.

CC

Re: f tRe: Hasselblad CFV ll 50c

Hi, got 907x 50th Moon edition with CFV II 50c this week while I was out of town and opened the box when I got home today. Had pre-ordered from Camera West last month. Got all 3 adapters (H, V and xpan lenses) with it since I have those lenses. Don't have any of the newer xcd lenses yet. The 907x limited edition box with CFV II back was in shrink wrap and all the accessories appear in new packaging as well as the battery still had the plastic contact cover strip that needed to be removed to use it. I found it odd that there was a 128GB lexar SDii Card in it. I have never gotten a camera that included an SD card installed in it already (have Costco camera kits that came with SD card but not installed). It showed when I put the SD card in my computer that it was formatted in Jan 25th but no pictures on it. Has anyone got one of these that had an SD card installed? Also there was no cellophane plastic protector on the LCD screen or the sensor, is that normal? I am wondering if this was used as a demo? it seems perfect, and the fact that the battery plastic strip was still on it would seem unlikely it was used. See picture with the 907z with HC 110 2.2 lens using the adapter. Definitely needs some form of a grip since it is awkward to hold and hand can overlap with the autofocus movement if hand near the front of the lens. Overall, just a few photos at home and they seem amazing. The LCD screen is super sharp.

Regards,
CC

How can we handle and shoot such a camera combination to get sharp images without a tripod?

Regards,
CC
How can a photographer hold tight such a CFV-H-X camera combination to get sharp images without using a tripod?

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Since I don't have the CFV 50c, only the CFVII 50c, I can't answer that. Here's what the back looks like from the side fitted to the 907x body:

My 1978 A12 backs are 45mm deep at their deepest; the CFVII 50c touches 60mm at its deepest point.

G
Godfrey

Could you please show an image of the combo from below . I would like to see , how the 907x is mounted to a tripod . Thank you . Jürgen .

Godfrey

Jürgen

See Godfrey's post #21 in the 'Fun with the Hasselblad 907x' thread.
IN addition to that illustration (from the instruction manual), this is how I've configured mine with the Benro PU50 camera plate:

This plate has about the same dimensions as the Acratech plate that fits the Hasselblad 500 system bodies, which makes it easy to swap the 907x and a 500CM onto the same tripod setup if you're working with both cameras, with minimal change to the setup. :)

G

Godfrey

Mine was delivered exactly the same way and seems perfect, brand new, from Dodd Camera. It's nice to receive another 128G SD card with the camera! :D I suspect these Special Edition cameras might have been hand-packaged, at least in the early production phase of things.

The XCD 21mm lens's focusing does not turn the external focusing ring when on AF, it's entirely focus by wire, so that is a little different from how the camera can be gripped compared to the HC 110 lens.

Yes, should be interesting with the 30mm xpan lens. I am guessing the 907x and digital back will recognize lens and the LCD with match the FOV. Will be nice not to have to use the separate finder for the 30mm.
I'll be interested to see how the camera works with the Xpan lenses.

For a giggle, I fitted a Fotodiox XCD->Leica M mount adapter and Summicron-M 50mm f/2 lens, turned on the electronic shutter, and played with it around the office for a few minutes.

There's lots to play with and try out with this camera! :D

How can a photographer hold tight such a CFV-H-X camera combination to get sharp images without using a tripod?
The tiny M lens provides much less to hold onto ... I'd really want to use a tripod with it! ... but (as expected) covers the square 33x33mm format perfectly. At the nearest focus range of 0.7m, DoF is vanishingly small and it's difficult to get a sharp picture when at f/2 and f/2.8 because the natural movement of your body just holding the camera is changing the focus point too much from moment to moment... another reason to use a tripod. I suspect a Summicron-R 50mm lens will work better ... with the mount adapter, it's got more meat to hold the camera steady with and it focuses down to a more useful minimum distance for small object capture as well.

The XCD 21mm lens, on the other hand, is a nice big meaty thing with lots to grip ... The 907x is very easy to hold and balance with that on it.

Birdhouse - Santa Clara 2020
Hasselblad 907x + XCD 21mm f/4
ISO 800 @ f/9.5 @ 1/90

Hmm. That doesn't look as sharp in this JPEG rendering as it does on my screen viewed in LR. Must have screwed up the settings some where. I'll repost it when I figure that out. :)

G

tjv

A reputable source had told me that this special moon edition has a lower resolution screen than the standard model is planned to have. Can anyone comment?

Godfrey

so it can shoot any adapted lens then with a universal electronic shutter?

https://fotodioxpro.com/collections/lens-mount-adapters/xcd
Yes.

Flowers – Santa Clara 2020
Hasselblad 907x + Leica Elmar-R 180mm f/4 + 2x Extender-R
ISO 3200 @ f/11 @ 1/5

Shooting setup:

There are, of course, drawbacks to the electronic shutter. But once you understand what it does, and can do, you can make some nice photographs with any lens you can find an adapter for.

G

Godfrey

A reputable source had told me that this special moon edition has a lower resolution screen than the standard model is planned to have. Can anyone comment?
Since no one has seen a production "standard" version of the camera as yet, it is impossible to know anything at all like this for sure.

I can't imagine any reason they would do such a thing, however. The backs will be a standard production item when the standard version comes out, I cannot see any reason or profit in making the standard production models with a higher resolution display considering that they developed the back for volume production, whatever that means in the context of medium format digital cameras anyway.

And even if it is true, the Special Edition display is superb already... who really cares if the later model has 10% more pixels or even 20%? It won't make a hair of difference... :)

G