The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad CFV ll 50c

hcubell

And they also recommend Live View focusing on maximum magnification, peaking on, for best results too. I'm happy to find that mostly unnecessary with the other lenses in my kit, although quite welcome with this one.

G[/QUOTE]

Godfrey, does the CFV II 50c back allow you to use focus peaking while in magnified live view? I have tried to do that with the X1D and it does not appear possible. If you have focus peaking on, as soon as you go into magnified live view, the peaking turns off.
Thanks

Godfrey

And they also recommend Live View focusing on maximum magnification, peaking on, for best results too. I'm happy to find that mostly unnecessary with the other lenses in my kit, although quite welcome with this one.

G
Godfrey, does the CFV II 50c back allow you to use focus peaking while in magnified live view? I have tried to do that with the X1D and it does not appear possible. If you have focus peaking on, as soon as you go into magnified live view, the peaking turns off.
Thanks
I'm not sure, I'll have to check. Generally, though, when I go to magnification for critical focusing (with, say, my Leica CL) I turn peaking off as I find it obscures the fine details I'm trying to focus. :) I'll get back to you on the functionality presented later on.

G

Godfrey

I had a chance to read the CFVII 50c manual a bit more and experiment with the back on a 500CM using Electronic Shutter, with Live View, Magnification, and Peaking for focus. I understand much more now then I did earlier today. I now know how to enable and disable Live View, Peaking, how to get different levels of Magnification, etc. :)

Simple answer to your question is no: when you have Peaking enabled and go to Magnification, Peaking disappears. As I said earlier, this is no big deal for me since I tend to use Peaking on the full view to rough in the focus, then enable Magnification to fine tune the focus setting. But I'm sure other workflows and opinions are in use for which Peaking when in Magnification might prove useful.

Oh yes and, Richard!, we were doing most things wrong yesterday... LOL! Got some nice exposures regardless, but I know a lot more now and can do a lot better...!

G

Photon42

Too poor to afford one, but ... this is so sweet. If the camera is modified, then the focal plane shutter on the 203FE can be used. For the 500 series, it just works. Hasselblad did a great job.
As stated earlier, the 203 operates just like a 500 if switched to "C" mode. If you will, it also just works, only with C type lenses. No C lens around, not even an 80/2.8?

richardman

Oh yes and, Richard!, we were doing most things wrong yesterday... LOL! Got some nice exposures regardless, but I know a lot more now and can do a lot better...!

G
The colors are great and I can focus with the WLF, what more should a camera do :grin: Other than we must be doing something wrong as the exposures blew out when the aperture was set to 2.8. I am sure it will work, if we read the manual, like you did now. ha ha. (Actually, I downloaded and reading the manual myself as well. One can always dream...)

Photon42

The colors are great and I can focus with the WLF, what more should a camera do :grin: Other than we must be doing something wrong as the exposures blew out when the aperture was set to 2.8. I am sure it will work, if we read the manual, like you did now. ha ha. (Actually, I downloaded and reading the manual myself as well. One can always dream...)
What is the E-Shutter limit? 1/10000?

Photon42

I have used the CFV50c over the last three years, albeit more infrequently. I did use the back with a 501 and a 203 (first unconverted, later converted). My experience is that with the WLF I can get absolutely sharp images, especially with lenses and subject distance not pushing it to the extreme.
With the 110mm f2 at close distance I also found, that I could minimally change the lens focus and that effect was not visible on the focus screen, but actually it was on live view (and the image).
Did I love the overall experience? Absolutely. I traded it now however for an X1Dii for easier day to day operations and also because I wanted to really try out the X1D concept. So far I like it very much.

Godfrey

The CFVII 50c really works a treat on the 500CM with the Makro-Planar 120mm f/4:

Irish Bears - Santa Clara 2020

enjoy!
G

Monster1

Hello all. I have a 2000FCW and both CF and F/FE lenses. I understand that the 2000FCW is limited in its compatibility with the CFV II back and can’t be used with my F/FE lenses. I know that I could connect the CFV II back by getting a 500 series body to go with my CF lenses. Could I also use the 907x instead of a 500 series body to use my CF lenses with the CFV II back? Also what would be the pros and cons of either approach? Thanks in advance for any feedback you can give me!

Godfrey

Hello all. I have a 2000FCW and both CF and F/FE lenses. I understand that the 2000FCW is limited in its compatibility with the CFV II back and can’t be used with my F/FE lenses. I know that I could connect the CFV II back by getting a 500 series body to go with my CF lenses. Could I also use the 907x instead of a 500 series body to use my CF lenses with the CFV II back? Also what would be the pros and cons of either approach? Thanks in advance for any feedback you can give me!
You can use the 907x/CFVII50c with the Hasselblad XV Adapter to use any V system lenses. I believe this means any C, CF, CFi, F, and FE lenses because they all use the same bayonet mounting and the camera used in this way makes the in-lens shutter irrelevant.

The XV Adapter is simply a dumb adapter that allows these lenses to be mounted on the X system lens mount. You set the 907x/CFVII 50c back to electronic shutter mode, for those lenses with shutters built-in, you lock the shutters open and the lenses to stop down operation, and you use Live View and the electronic shutter to make your exposures. There are certainly some constraints using the electronic shutter as your primary capture since the sensor readout affects how well you can capture subjects in motion as well as how camera motion translates to image degradation. And I believe that electronic flash is unavailable. But for still subjects in available light, it can work very well.

G

Godfrey

I took the 500CM fitted with the CFVII 50c back and Planar 80mm lens for a good long walk the other day.

Service Door
ISO 100 @ f/5.6 @ 1/90 est.

The biggest issue in using this setup happens when you are using the aperture wide open as it is difficult without a magnifying finder to nail critical focus consistently. Once you get that skill sorted, it produces some wonderful results. :)

enjoy,
G

Godfrey

On the same walk as my previous photo using the CFVII 50c back...

Window & Chimney - Santa Clara 2020

White Fence - Santa Clara 2020

both:
Hasselblad 500CM/CFVII 50c + Planar 80mm f/2.8 T*
ISO 100 @ f/5.6 @ 1/125 est

enjoy!
G