The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad CFV ll 50c

TopgunCameras1

Something strange here... Are you editing TIFF exports or are you retagging the RAW files as I did sometimes for testing purposes? Just curious...

By the way, nice combination!

I convert the .3FR files to DNG via PHOCUS, and then edit the EXIF files with EXIF Pilot. Hopefully in the future capture one can support Hasselblad. :/

mristuccia

I convert the .3FR files to DNG via PHOCUS, and then edit the EXIF files with EXIF Pilot. Hopefully in the future capture one can support Hasselblad. :/
Yeah, that's what I do as well. Which camera/make do you set? Fuji GFX 50?
I too hope that C1 will support Hasselblad sooner or later.

Godfrey

Using the CFVII 50c back on the 500CM again:

Chair On Sidewalk - Santa Clara 2020

Red Leaf Against Wood Fence - Santa Clara 2020

Angel Contemplating Hand - Santa Clara 2020

Hasselblad 500CM/CFVII 50c + Planar 80mm f/2.8 T*
ISO 100 @ f/5.6

All of these used the SLR focusing system and lens shutter rather than using the back and the electronic shutter.

enjoy!
G

Godfrey

Around the condo:

Pineapple

Bialetti

Tomatoes, Pineapple, Reflection

Bicycle with Tire Pump

Chair And Table

Bear on the Table by the Window

All:
Hasselblad 500CM/CVFII 50c + Makro-Planar 120mm f/4
Taken with the standard 500CM viewfinder and lens shutter.

Fun fun fun ... enjoy!

G

ericgibaud

Hi everybody, does anyone know of an in depth review or youtube video review about the CFV II 50C? I've looked everywhere and no luck so far. Thank you

Godfrey

Hi everybody, does anyone know of an in depth review or youtube video review about the CFV II 50C? I've looked everywhere and no luck so far. Thank you
Haven't seen one yet. They are very rare in the field thus far, basically only the folks who have received a 907x Special Edition have a production release unit. If you go to YouTube and hunt for it, you'll see a few videos from last Summer where some folks were handed one for a day or two to give first impressions, but that's about it.

With the pandemic in control of the world for the past few months, all development and release schedules have been put into "on hold until we can go back to work" essentially. The standard edition of the 907x and CFVII 50c were supposed to start shipping in March/April ... Now it looks like Summer is the earliest we'll see anything like a volume release.

G

Hausen

So my kit turned up on Friday afternoon New Zealand time. I took it out for a couple of test runs over the weekend. The two test pics attached a from the Kawarau River here in Queenstown. I am primarily a long exposure shooter and this kit is really well setup up for that. I really like working from the back screen only because I am 100% a tripod shooter, I wear glasses, and I am often at ground level and the flip screen is perfect for me. On my first 3m shot I was surprised that the screen went blank after 5s and I hoped it was a battery saving function which I checked in the manual on my iPhone behind the camera. The screen swipes are really nice also and they work really well. The only thing I haven't been able to get to work is my Atomos Shinobi screen for bright days or early mornings. All I all I am really happy and it is a major upgrade in workflow for me over the X1D. The first pic is shot with the 30mm and second is with the 120mm.

Attachments

tcdeveau

So my kit turned up on Friday afternoon New Zealand time. I took it out for a couple of test runs over the weekend. The two test pics attached a from the Kawarau River here in Queenstown. I am primarily a long exposure shooter and this kit is really well setup up for that. I really like working from the back screen only because I am 100% a tripod shooter, I wear glasses, and I am often at ground level and the flip screen is perfect for me. On my first 3m shot I was surprised that the screen went blank after 5s and I hoped it was a battery saving function which I checked in the manual on my iPhone behind the camera. The screen swipes are really nice also and they work really well. The only thing I haven't been able to get to work is my Atomos Shinobi screen for bright days or early mornings. All I all I am really happy and it is a major upgrade in workflow for me over the X1D. The first pic is shot with the 30mm and second is with the 120mm.
Thanks for sharing David! So there's no countdown timer on the CFVII? If not, that's kind of a bummer, I really liked that feature on the X1D
-Todd

tcdeveau

Question for all the 907x/CFVII users out there - any recommendations for an arca/really right stuff compatible tripod plate for the 907x body? With or without L-bracket.
Asking for a friend :cool:

Thanks in advance!
-Todd

Godfrey

Question for all the 907x/CFVII users out there - any recommendations for an arca/really right stuff compatible tripod plate for the 907x body? With or without L-bracket.
Asking for a friend :cool:
I have been using a Benro PU50 camera plate with the 907x. It works well, can be fitted either in fore-aft orientation or side-to-side orientation, and its thin, inset rubber pads prevent rotation nicely once snugged properly. Key in fitting it is to center it onto the 907x body ... I found if I fitted it slid back a little ways that it was exerting a little pressure on the CFVII 50c back in one particular spot. Don't know if that was any problem, but it disturbed me.

Since then, I've been thinking of other handling improvements. Hasselblad showed their prototype grip in a photo at announcement time, which turns the 907x into an eye-level camera and gives you right-hand controls to operate it with. That looks like it will be great for that kind of use when it appears, but it isn't how I ordinarily want to hold the camera ... I like shooting with it at waist level using the LCD. What makes sense for my goals is to handle the camera using a 'dumb' grip on the left side, where there are little in way of controls, and leaving the right side free for access to the control dial, alternate button, shutter release, and focusing ring. Arranged correctly, this would also allow for using the full format (LCD in vertical orientation) by rotating the whole camera easily and again leaving the controls accessible.

Cobbling something like this together, I thought of the Three-Legged Thing short L-plate that someone had mentioned in one of these threads and looked it up. It looks like it's functional but I wasn't impressed with the style and bulk of it ... I'd want this grip to be on a camera a lot of the time so it's important that whatever I pick to build it on fits the body pretty tightly.

Poking around, I came up with the Kirk Enterprises (née Kirk Photo) Universal Small L-Bracket. This is very trim and light, sits very close to the body, and has two channels for the securing bolt. With the bolt fitted into the front channel, it allows full access to the control dial and shutter release with the vertical foot snug and nearly flat against the left side of the camera. There's a loop for a hand/neck strap on the right (in addition to the standard strap lug), and the standard strap lug is accessible through the rails on the left. That presents an excellent L-bracket all by itself for using the camera with its full 3:4 format on a tripod, and it's relatively inexpensive as these things go.

Next, I discovered the Really Right Stuff 22MM MICRO CLAMP, a really tiny A-S compatible clamp with two 1/4-20 tripod mounts on its base. Seems to me that I can fit a hand-whittled wooden grip to this with two bolts and make the combination of this plus the ULB-1 into a nicely adjustable, reasonably compact and light left-hand grip for the 907x package that will suit my desires. So I've got all the bits on the table, a nice block of wood, and my whittling knives. :D

Here are a couple of photos of the camera with ULB-1 fitted:

Click image for a video of the camera and L-bracket from a variety of angles and orientations.

You'll notice that the camera is tilted forward in the L-bracket. This is because the rubber pad that provides grip for the L-bracket is only compressed under its leading edge and the rear of it is not compressed, forcing the rear of the camera upwards. I'l cut and trim the rubber pad so that it only spans the narrow width of the 907x body to solve this issue ... then the camera will sit level in the bracket. (These bits only just arrived a day or so ago, so I'm still working out how to use them best. :).

The last two photos in the video show the RRS 22mm micro-clamp fitted on the vertical portion of the L bracket. I'm looking for the appropriate bolts and selecting the bit of wood I'll whittle into a grip.

G

Last edited:

Hausen

Thanks for sharing David! So there's no countdown timer on the CFVII? If not, that's kind of a bummer, I really liked that feature on the X1D
-Todd
There is a timer but it shuts off after 5s and the little light flashes to say it is exposing. Must have a look to see if you can turn it on because I love that feature as well with X1D as well, and 99% of what I do involves LE.

Hausen

I have been using a Benro PU50 camera plate with the 907x. It works well, can be fitted either in fore-aft orientation or side-to-side orientation, and its thin, inset rubber pads prevent rotation nicely once snugged properly. Key in fitting it is to center it onto the 907x body ... I found if I fitted it slid back a little ways that it was exerting a little pressure on the CFVII 50c back in one particular spot. Don't know if that was any problem, but it disturbed me.

Since then, I've been thinking of other handling improvements. Hasselblad showed their prototype grip in a photo at announcement time, which turns the 907x into an eye-level camera and gives you right-hand controls to operate it with. That looks like it will be great for that kind of use when it appears, but it isn't how I ordinarily want to hold the camera ... I like shooting with it at waist level using the LCD. What makes sense for my goals is to handle the camera using a 'dumb' grip on the left side, where there are little in way of controls, and leaving the right side free for access to the control dial, alternate button, shutter release, and focusing ring. Arranged correctly, this would also allow for using the full format (LCD in vertical orientation) by rotating the whole camera easily and again leaving the controls accessible.

Cobbling something like this together, I thought of the Three-Legged Thing short L-plate that someone had mentioned in one of these threads and looked it up. It looks like it's functional but I wasn't impressed with the style and bulk of it ... I'd want this grip to be on a camera a lot of the time so it's important that whatever I pick to build it on fits the body pretty tightly.

Poking around, I came up with the Kirk Enterprises (née Kirk Photo) Universal Small L-Bracket. This is very trim and light, sits very close to the body, and has two channels for the securing bolt. With the bolt fitted into the front channel, it allows full access to the control dial and shutter release with the vertical foot snug and nearly flat against the left side of the camera. There's a loop for a hand/neck strap on the right (in addition to the standard strap lug), and the standard strap lug is accessible through the rails on the left. That presents an excellent L-bracket all by itself for using the camera with its full 3:4 format on a tripod, and it's relatively inexpensive as these things go.

Next, I discovered the Really Right Stuff 22MM MICRO CLAMP, a really tiny A-S compatible clamp with two 1/4-20 tripod mounts on its base. Seems to me that I can fit a hand-whittled wooden grip to this with two bolts and make the combination of this plus the ULB-1 into a nicely adjustable, reasonably compact and light left-hand grip for the 907x package that will suit my desires. So I've got all the bits on the table, a nice block of wood, and my whittling knives. :D

Here are a couple of photos of the camera with ULB-1 fitted:

Click image for a video of the camera and L-bracket from a variety of angles and orientations.

You'll notice that the camera is tilted forward in the L-bracket. This is because the rubber pad that provides grip for the L-bracket is only compressed under its leading edge and the rear of it is not compressed, forcing the rear of the camera upwards. I'l cut and trim the rubber pad so that it only spans the narrow width of the 907x body to solve this issue ... then the camera will sit level in the bracket. (These bits only just arrived a day or so ago, so I'm still working out how to use them best. :).

The last two photos in the video show the RRS 22mm micro-clamp fitted on the vertical portion of the L bracket. I'm looking for the appropriate bolts and selecting the bit of wood I'll whittle into a grip.

G
My 3 legged Thing plate arrived today and fits nicely on the 907x. Not as snug as the one in your pic, but orange is my favourite colour so always happy to have orange in my bag. It fits in both orientations and has nice little rubbers pads on the mounting side. I really like it. I shoot 90% in portrait mode so happy it is here.

Godfrey

You'll notice that the camera is tilted forward in the L-bracket. This is because the rubber pad that provides grip for the L-bracket is only compressed under its leading edge and the rear of it is not compressed, forcing the rear of the camera upwards. I'l cut and trim the rubber pad so that it only spans the narrow width of the 907x body to solve this issue ... then the camera will sit level in the bracket. ..
Further on this: I trimmed the rubber pad which helped, but there's still a bit of tilt. The issue is that the rubber pad sits into a recess in the L-bracket. The bottom of the recess is flat, as is the upper ledge. On a camera with a larger base, the rubber would compress and the upper ledge would contact the camera base and provide a secure level point. Unfortunately, this isn't the case due to the 907x very narrow, wide base surface.

I'll either make a shaped shim the right depth or find a different L-bracket for this purpose. I didn't realize this one would have such an issue, very surprising.

G

Godfrey

My 3 legged Thing plate arrived today and fits nicely on the 907x. Not as snug as the one in your pic, but orange is my favourite colour so always happy to have orange in my bag. It fits in both orientations and has nice little rubbers pads on the mounting side. I really like it. I shoot 90% in portrait mode so happy it is here.
I may go to that one, still working this out. Do the rubber pads completely compress when you snug the bolt? IMO, the camera should be resting on the metal when the bolt is snugged to about 3-4 Nm, the rubber should be there purely as an twist prevention measure. That's how the Benro plate I've been using works: once snugged, the rubber is fully compressed and the camera's direct engagement is securely on the adapter plate's metal.

The issue is that the 907x base is very narrow, only 14mm front to back engagement onto a surface, and the tripod bolt hole is offset to the front, centered at about 9mm from the back of that surface; there's only 2mm of material from the front of the bolt hole to the front edge of the plate. A slot for a necked 1/4-20 bolt is 5.5mm wide, so that leaves only a very little bit of engagement of the plate and camera in the fore-aft direction on the sides of the slot on a universal plate with the slot running side-to-side. A better plate for the 907x would have just one properly positioned hole at the right spot so that the engagement with the camera was all the way around the attachment point, distributing the amount of pressure on the camera base to the largest possible area.

It makes me uncomfortable to see how small the engagement area is with a lateral slot when I consider the torques of a largish and heavy lens (like my 21mm f/4, never mind the 120mm f/4 macro or 80mm f/1.9 that I'm thinking about) hanging off the front of the bayonet with the camera turned sideways for a vertical shot, never mind if I'm carrying the camera by a grip affixed through this bolt hole. There is a recess on the baseplate of the camera for a locating dowel centered about 13.5mm from the tripod hole: The best plate for this camera would have a snug fitting dowel on the plate there so that when the camera was in any orientation other than level and horizontal, twisting forces would not be defeated purely by friction at the plate/base juncture. (I'm sure it is for these reasons that there is, as well, a second "non-standard" threaded bolt hole on the camera base, enabling Hasselblad to design accessories that fit and secure the loads across more area for positive location and less chance of anything becoming overwhelmed.)

It also makes me happy to see that the Fotodiox Pro Leica R to X mount adapter has a built-in tripod foot, and that the Hasselblad XV Adapter takes the XH Bracket tripod mount: Both of them move the loads of securing the camera on a tripod from the base plate to the large and robust lens mounting flange, and all that the flange ever has to support is the weight of the body and back. :)

G

Hausen

I may go to that one, still working this out. Do the rubber pads completely compress when you snug the bolt? IMO, the camera should be resting on the metal when the bolt is snugged to about 3-4 Nm, the rubber should be there purely as an twist prevention measure. That's how the Benro plate I've been using works: once snugged, the rubber is fully compressed and the camera's direct engagement is securely on the adapter plate's metal.

The issue is that the 907x base is very narrow, only 14mm front to back engagement onto a surface, and the tripod bolt hole is offset to the front, centered at about 9mm from the back of that surface; there's only 2mm of material from the front of the bolt hole to the front edge of the plate. A slot for a necked 1/4-20 bolt is 5.5mm wide, so that leaves only a very little bit of engagement of the plate and camera in the fore-aft direction on the sides of the slot on a universal plate with the slot running side-to-side. A better plate for the 907x would have just one properly positioned hole at the right spot so that the engagement with the camera was all the way around the attachment point, distributing the amount of pressure on the camera base to the largest possible area.

It makes me uncomfortable to see how small the engagement area is with a lateral slot when I consider the torques of a largish and heavy lens (like my 21mm f/4, never mind the 120mm f/4 macro or 80mm f/1.9 that I'm thinking about) hanging off the front of the bayonet with the camera turned sideways for a vertical shot, never mind if I'm carrying the camera by a grip affixed through this bolt hole. There is a recess on the baseplate of the camera for a locating dowel centered about 13.5mm from the tripod hole: The best plate for this camera would have a snug fitting dowel on the plate there so that when the camera was in any orientation other than level and horizontal, twisting forces would not be defeated purely by friction at the plate/base juncture. (I'm sure it is for these reasons that there is, as well, a second "non-standard" threaded bolt hole on the camera base, enabling Hasselblad to design accessories that fit and secure the loads across more area for positive location and less chance of anything becoming overwhelmed.)

It also makes me happy to see that the Fotodiox Pro Leica R to X mount adapter has a built-in tripod foot, and that the Hasselblad XV Adapter takes the XH Bracket tripod mount: Both of them move the loads of securing the camera on a tripod from the base plate to the large and robust lens mounting flange, and all that the flange ever has to support is the weight of the body and back. :)

G
Godfrey, the pads feel nicely compressed and it appears to me that the 907x sits pretty square on my 3LP bracket and feels really solid. I had a Markins L bracket for my X1D and because it is a lot wider it sits around ~70 degrees and is unusable on the 907x. I am going to try and get out this afternoon so I will post how it feels. Pic attached is with my 21mm. Apologies for iPhone pic.

Attachments

Godfrey

Godfrey, the pads feel nicely compressed and it appears to me that the 907x sits pretty square on my 3LP bracket and feels really solid. I had a Markins L bracket for my X1D and because it is a lot wider it sits around ~70 degrees and is unusable on the 907x. I am going to try and get out this afternoon so I will post how it feels. Pic attached is with my 21mm. Apologies for iPhone pic.
LOL ... NO need to apologize for an iPhone picture. Most of my camera equipment photos are made with the iPhone ... and few people have ever noticed! :)

That looks good. I see the TLT plate has slots that are fore-aft, which is better for the 907x ... How much space is there between the vertical leg and the body?

G

Hausen

LOL ... NO need to apologize for an iPhone picture. Most of my camera equipment photos are made with the iPhone ... and few people have ever noticed! :)

That looks good. I see the TLT plate has slots that are fore-aft, which is better for the 907x ... How much space is there between the vertical leg and the body?

G
Sorry Godfrey I had a busy day yesterday. The 3LT sticks out a little ways from the body. I haven't really looked to see if I can adjust it at all as yet but I don't mind it. It gives you something to grab onto. Very stable in portrait mode with the 21mm, I will try it with the 120mm over the weekend.

Attachments

Steve Hendrix

I have to mention that we just received a 35-75/3.5-4.5 XCD Zoom Lens and it does not have an order attached to it. It's available to anyone that wants it. It will fit on the 907X, and of course the X1D/X1D-II.

Steve Hendrix/CI