The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad CFV ll 50c

jng

Sorry Godfrey I had a busy day yesterday. The 3LT sticks out a little ways from the body. I haven't really looked to see if I can adjust it at all as yet but I don't mind it. It gives you something to grab onto. Very stable in portrait mode with the 21mm, I will try it with the 120mm over the weekend.
This looks like a nice solution. Which specific Three-Legged Thing model is this (the ones with a fore-aft slot appear to come with bottom brackets of different lengths)? Just asking for a friend who might be planning ahead. :ROTFL:

John

Godfrey

Sorry Godfrey I had a busy day yesterday. The 3LT sticks out a little ways from the body. I haven't really looked to see if I can adjust it at all as yet but I don't mind it. It gives you something to grab onto. Very stable in portrait mode with the 21mm, I will try it with the 120mm over the weekend.
Thanks!

Hmm. It looks spaced away from the body a bit further than I'd prefer but might be all right. I'd prefer something that was "just off the body" to allow room for the custom grip I'm making.

I ordered one of them, and one of the Desmond DAL-1 QR L Plate as well. I'll see how they work and keep the one I think works best.

This looks like a nice solution. Which specific Three-Legged Thing model is this (the ones with a fore-aft slot appear to come with bottom brackets of different lengths)? Just asking for a friend who might be planning ahead. :ROTFL:
3 Legged Thing Ellie Short Universal L-Bracket with Shorter Base :: That's the one that fits the 907x body best, from the dimensions. I ordered a slate gray version.

If neither of them really suit my ideas or fits to my satisfaction, I'll send both back and work out something customized for the Kirk ULB-1 that I have already modified a little. The Kirk plate is very nicely made and finished and, if it weren't for the recess and rubber pad, would do me just fine.

fun, fun, fun... :)

G

G

Hausen

Thanks!

Hmm. It looks spaced away from the body a bit further than I'd prefer but might be all right. I'd prefer something that was "just off the body" to allow room for the custom grip I'm making.

I ordered one of them, and one of the Desmond DAL-1 QR L Plate as well. I'll see how they work and keep the one I think works best.

3 Legged Thing Ellie Short Universal L-Bracket with Shorter Base :: That's the one that fits the 907x body best, from the dimensions. I ordered a slate gray version.

If neither of them really suit my ideas or fits to my satisfaction, I'll send both back and work out something customized for the Kirk ULB-1 that I have already modified a little. The Kirk plate is very nicely made and finished and, if it weren't for the recess and rubber pad, would do me just fine.

fun, fun, fun... :)

G

G
The video on the BH link you posted shows how you can adjust it to fit. I moved the locking screw into the 2nd slot and then you can adjust the vertical arm to fit with a couple of smaller locking screws. Very cool design and mine sits nice and snug now.

Godfrey

Thanks David. I looked carefully at the Ellie ... a lovely plate, actually, and versatile ... but the rubber pads still caused some positioning issues, and I found I couldn't get the vertical segment up against the body where I wanted it without modifying the rods in their adjustment mechanism (one needs to be shortened to allow the base plate to be properly positioned on the narrow 907x base, IMO).

I wrote up my winner on the other thread, repeated here:

---
Getting an L-Plate for the Hasselblad 907x that fitted snugly and worked to my satisfaction has been a couple of weeks effort. The 907x' very narrow front-to-back base poses issues that surfaced on the Kirk Photo UL-1 plate due to the thick rubber insert in that plate's base. These were lessened but still apparent on the Three-Legged Thing Ellie (short) plate due to the positioning of the adjustment rails on the vertical support and again due to the rubber pads in the base plate. The Ellie issues could be solved with some simple modifications, but also ordered yet a third plate that looked like it would work...

The Desmond Arca L-Plate DAL-1 solves all the issues: It's a very simple plate, just the L-rails and three laterally oriented attachment slots in the base plate. NO rubber, no adjustments ... It just fits perfectly with the screw for the base in the front-most slot. Because the base is all flat metal and the vertical leg is a simple 90° bend up, the 907x base sits very securely and stably on metal across its width and to the full 14mm depth. Here are some photos:

Link to my album of six photos of the DAL-1 fitted to the 907x on Flickr.com:
https://flic.kr/s/aHsmNB2911

The really good news is that this is the least expensive of the three L-plates I've experimented with, only $26 delivered from B&H Photo to California: Desmond DAL-1 L-Plate..

I've tested the DAL-1 on both my Arca-Swiss ball head (as you see in the photos) and on the Peak Design Travel Tripod head (you need to remove the Travel Tripod head's guard screws). Fits perfectly, sits securely and the camera is absolutely level in both orientations to within a degree or so. Setting up the camera on the A-S Monoball P0/P0h in either horizontal or vertical orientation allows for smooth and level panning.

The DAL-1 does not get in the way of reaching the control dial and shutter release, or lens release. Also, the DAL-1's finish is a near perfect match to the color of the 907x Special Edition camera. Definitely my pick of the L-plates!

I'll send the Three-Legged Thing Ellie back for a refund. I've already modified the Kirk Photo plate, so I'll set that aside for some future project. :)

G

photopixes

Great info, Godfrey. Looks like a good solution. BTW: Thanks for sharing! You've always been generous with info. Much appreciate it. Just placed my order for the DAL-1 L plate through Amazon. B&H are back ordered.

rh

Thanks David. I looked carefully at the Ellie ... a lovely plate, actually, and versatile ... but the rubber pads still caused some positioning issues, and I found I couldn't get the vertical segment up against the body where I wanted it without modifying the rods in their adjustment mechanism (one needs to be shortened to allow the base plate to be properly positioned on the narrow 907x base, IMO).

I wrote up my winner on the other thread, repeated here:

---
Getting an L-Plate for the Hasselblad 907x that fitted snugly and worked to my satisfaction has been a couple of weeks effort. The 907x' very narrow front-to-back base poses issues that surfaced on the Kirk Photo UL-1 plate due to the thick rubber insert in that plate's base. These were lessened but still apparent on the Three-Legged Thing Ellie (short) plate due to the positioning of the adjustment rails on the vertical support and again due to the rubber pads in the base plate. The Ellie issues could be solved with some simple modifications, but also ordered yet a third plate that looked like it would work...

The Desmond Arca L-Plate DAL-1 solves all the issues: It's a very simple plate, just the L-rails and three laterally oriented attachment slots in the base plate. NO rubber, no adjustments ... It just fits perfectly with the screw for the base in the front-most slot. Because the base is all flat metal and the vertical leg is a simple 90° bend up, the 907x base sits very securely and stably on metal across its width and to the full 14mm depth. Here are some photos:

Link to my album of six photos of the DAL-1 fitted to the 907x on Flickr.com:
https://flic.kr/s/aHsmNB2911

The really good news is that this is the least expensive of the three L-plates I've experimented with, only $26 delivered from B&H Photo to California: Desmond DAL-1 L-Plate..

I've tested the DAL-1 on both my Arca-Swiss ball head (as you see in the photos) and on the Peak Design Travel Tripod head (you need to remove the Travel Tripod head's guard screws). Fits perfectly, sits securely and the camera is absolutely level in both orientations to within a degree or so. Setting up the camera on the A-S Monoball P0/P0h in either horizontal or vertical orientation allows for smooth and level panning.

The DAL-1 does not get in the way of reaching the control dial and shutter release, or lens release. Also, the DAL-1's finish is a near perfect match to the color of the 907x Special Edition camera. Definitely my pick of the L-plates!

I'll send the Three-Legged Thing Ellie back for a refund. I've already modified the Kirk Photo plate, so I'll set that aside for some future project. :)

G

tcdeveau

The eagle has landed. Just picked this guy up. Hadn’t really planned on it, but never expected them to be available anytime soon either. My 35-75mm XCD hadn’t shipped yet, my dealer he had a 907x that needed a home, and I have an alpa kit with a v-mount back adapter that needed a back....and here we are :cool:

D418EAE6-A4D0-4A09-B1F9-B5DE66071875.jpeg6DEAE172-8E1C-406C-86B0-E353231378AD.jpegBDC49623-AC27-4971-9E45-5D5E87F01106.jpeg

Steve Hendrix

I think it's a perfect match, Todd. You've unlocked one of the true key selling points of the CFV-II/907X Kit, which is that this single digital back makes a great companion to a tech camera like an Alpa, but also pairs well with the 907X, and cmbined with XCD lenses, becomes an auto focus capable system. And let's not forget some old school action by mounting it to a Hasselblad 5xx series. A very versatile solution. Well done!

Steve Hendrix/CI

Shashin

It is interesting how the much the passive voice is used in Dante's world: the camera had been bought and it had left the dealership soon after, only to find itself perfectly fitting my new bag...

:ROTFL:

Godfrey

The eagle has landed. Just picked this guy up. Hadn’t really planned on it, but never expected them to be available anytime soon either. My 35-75mm XCD hadn’t shipped yet, my dealer he had a 907x that needed a home, and I have an alpa kit with a v-mount back adapter that needed a back....and here we are
Great stuff! Really looks nice in that setup.

Yes, the 907x/CFVII 50c seems a perfect match to so many situations where you want to expand an existing kit. Tech cameras, existing Hasselblad V system models, anyone with XCD lenses ...

Did anyone else notice in the firmware update notes a couple of specific notes for the CFVII 50c?

NEW FEATURES SPECIFIC TO CFV II 50C DIGITAL BACK IN 907X SPECIAL EDITION

1. Additional camera support
Cable-free operation with CFV II 50C Digital Back on 2000-cameras and unmodified 200-cameras added. Note: Some cameras may not fully work due to mechanical tolerances of old cameras.​

2. Auto White Balance
It is now possible to automatically set White Balance for captured images.
Tremendous kit. I'm so pleased I went for this.

G

tcdeveau

I think it's a perfect match, Todd. You've unlocked one of the true key selling points of the CFV-II/907X Kit, which is that this single digital back makes a great companion to a tech camera like an Alpa, but also pairs well with the 907X, and cmbined with XCD lenses, becomes an auto focus capable system. And let's not forget some old school action by mounting it to a Hasselblad 5xx series. A very versatile solution. Well done!

Steve Hendrix/CI
Definitely super versatile! The electronic shutter is nice for the tech cam too...up to 1 hour or so without a dark LENR frame without having to rely on the copal 0 shutter or worrying about extra cables.

First impressions are positive. Everything on the back seems to work as they should. It's also snappy and responsive, and makes the X1D feel sluggish in comparison (X1D performance never bothered me). The intro "50 years on the moon" splash screen is a nice touch.

My only complaint is that I wish it was 100mp instead of 50mp, but it probably would have cost twice as much, so 50mp is fine with me for now. The files from the CFVII should match those well from my X1D as well.

I did replicate one issue another unfortunate issue another user reported that Phocus 2 crashes when you try to use scene calibration (i.e. apply a LCC frame). I'm running the latest version of Catalina and what is AFAIK the latest version of Phocus 2 (3.5.1). Somewhat significant for me since my intent is to mainly the use back on a tech cam but hopefully they get it worked out quick. I've reported it to my dealer and will send a support ticket to Hasselblad as well. A 100mp version with the BSI sensor of the GFX 100 should reduce the need for LCC's so I do hope it's in their pipeline.

tcdeveau

I did replicate one issue another unfortunate issue another user reported that Phocus 2 crashes when you try to use scene calibration (i.e. apply a LCC frame). I'm running the latest version of Catalina and what is AFAIK the latest version of Phocus 2 (3.5.1). Somewhat significant for me since my intent is to mainly the use back on a tech cam but hopefully they get it worked out quick. I've reported it to my dealer and will send a support ticket to Hasselblad as well. A 100mp version with the BSI sensor of the GFX 100 should reduce the need for LCC's so I do hope it's in their pipeline.
A follow up to this issue....HB support provided some steps, there was also an update to OS X (10.15.5) I installed, and I reinstalled the latest version of Phocus (3.5.1) using the "keep both [current and old version]" instead of the "replace [old one]" option and scene calibration with the CFVII seems to work now. Not sure where the gremlin was but all seems to be good....

gnat

Finally picked my wife's up today! Was supposed to be a xmas/anniversary/valentines gift :banghead:

For you all that actually know what you are doing, what memory cards are you all using? Noticed any performance differences or other issues between brands or ratings?

andrearch

A follow up to this issue....HB support provided some steps, there was also an update to OS X (10.15.5) I installed, and I reinstalled the latest version of Phocus (3.5.1) using the "keep both [current and old version]" instead of the "replace [old one]" option and scene calibration with the CFVII seems to work now. Not sure where the gremlin was but all seems to be good....
Yes with the new version of Phocus (3.5.1) finally the “scene calibration” function is ok!! Good job Hasselblad team

Godfrey

Finally picked my wife's up today! Was supposed to be a xmas/anniversary/valentines gift :banghead:

For you all that actually know what you are doing, what memory cards are you all using? Noticed any performance differences or other issues between brands or ratings?
These are the cards recommended by Hasselblad for the 907x/CFVII 50c:

Sandisk Extreme PRO UHS-II 300MB/s
Panasonic V90 UHS-II 280MB/s
Toshiba EXCERIA PRO UHS-II 270MB/s
SONY M UHS-II 260MB/s

For reasons unknown to me (or to Hasselblad USA Customer Service), my 907x Special Edition was delivered with a 128G Lexar Professional 1667x, 250 MB/s card fitted in Slot 1. It's what I've been using with the camera since I got it, even though it isn't on the officially recommended list. Since I haven't used anything else, I can't really tell you whether this is good or bad, but it seems to work well.

G

gnat

For reasons unknown to me (or to Hasselblad USA Customer Service), my 907x Special Edition was delivered with a 128G Lexar Professional 1667x, 250 MB/s card fitted in Slot 1.
Yeah we got one too contrary to every "what's in the box" description available.

It's what I've been using with the camera since I got it, even though it isn't on the officially recommended list. Since I haven't used anything else, I can't really tell you whether this is good or bad, but it seems to work well.
Good to know. Thanks.

Godfrey

Yeah we got one too contrary to every "what's in the box" description available.

Good to know. Thanks.
Yes, it's puzzling. But I see no reason to toss what seems to be a good, working storage card and spend another $300 to replace it for little to no additional benefit! ... :D

It worked well enough to do a few test videos yesterday too. I don't normally shoot still sequences, and the 907x isn't at its best as a sequence camera anyway, so this cards IO rates seem just fine for my needs. I'll buy a second card from their recommended list when I figure I want to populate the second slot.

Oh yes: I did actually fit an older Sandisk Extreme Pro (rated 95 MB/s) 64G card for a few frames one day when I'd misplaced the Lexar 128 on my desk. Seemed to work just fine, but I didn't shoot enough frames to sense what the difference in speed really felt like. Again, the 907x isn't really a sequence camera (for me, at least) so if it takes another tenth of a second to write probably isn't noticeable to me.

G

gnat

Oh yes: I did actually fit an older Sandisk Extreme Pro (rated 95 MB/s) 64G card for a few frames one day when I'd misplaced the Lexar 128 on my desk. Seemed to work just fine, but I didn't shoot enough frames to sense what the difference in speed really felt like. Again, the 907x isn't really a sequence camera (for me, at least) so if it takes another tenth of a second to write probably isn't noticeable to me.
This is good to know as well, thanks again.

My concern is born from her old (like 2004 old!) Canon that gets upset and overheats when we give it a CF card that it decides that it isn't fond of.