The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad CFV ll 50c

Godfrey

This is good to know as well, thanks again.

My concern is born from her old (like 2004 old!) Canon that gets upset and overheats when we give it a CF card that it decides that it isn't fond of.
SD card cameras seem far less likely to be tetchy about what card is used than CF card cameras were. To me, anyway. I generally buy Sandisk, occasionally Transcend, and have a couple of Lexars. I've tossed the same cards into everything I've had at one point or another and never had a problem. CF cards, well, several might work in one camera but not another, etc.

I've only got one camera left that uses CF cards (my ancient Olympus E-1, made in October 2003) and its write speed is so slow that I see glaciers moving from the beginning to the end of a 12 frame sequence capture, but then it's also really easy on which CF card because ANYTHING is more than fast enough. :D

G

gnat

I've only got one camera left that uses CF cards (my ancient Olympus E-1, made in October 2003) and its write speed is so slow that I see glaciers moving from the beginning to the end of a 12 frame sequence capture, but then it's also really easy on which CF card because ANYTHING is more than fast enough. :D
Ha! Glad to see my wife isn't the only pack rat :grin:

Yeah the 10D makes you think all is well as it has a nice built-in write buffer that will hold a couple of seconds of burst shots in raw form, but when you hit the end of the buffer you might as well pull out your book to pass the time. Downside of still using ancient tech I suppose...

richardman

> 1. Additional camera support
Cable-free operation with CFV II 50C Digital Back on 2000-cameras and unmodified 200-cameras added. Note: Some cameras may not fully work due to mechanical tolerances of old cameras.​

WOW! Great news. I am just $7900 short to get the 907x kit!

glaiben

Has anyone had experience with the CFV-II-50c on a FlexBody yet? I have read the manual and when using a C/CF/CFi lens, the flash sync output cable is used. Does that mean that the mechanical cable release/firing of the shutter triggers the CFV-II automatically? Or does the FlexBody necessitate the use of the electronic shutter?

Thanks...gregg

Godfrey

Has anyone had experience with the CFV-II-50c on a FlexBody yet? I have read the manual and when using a C/CF/CFi lens, the flash sync output cable is used. Does that mean that the mechanical cable release/firing of the shutter triggers the CFV-II automatically? Or does the FlexBody necessitate the use of the electronic shutter?

Thanks...gregg
Never used a FlexBody or ArcBody.

However, I suspect that you need the flash sync output cable if you want to use the mechanical shutter in the lens. It uses the flash sync signal to trigger capture mode on the back when the lens shutter is released.

The eshutter requires no connection at all with the lens ... you basically just stop the aperture down, leave the shutter open, and drive the back with its own soft shutter release or remote release (or Phocus in tethered mode). This is exactly the same way you use V system lenses fitted to the 500CM in eshutter/live view mode.

G

Hausen

I wish I still had my Arcbody kit. One of my favourite ever film cams and would be fun with the CFvII50c.

Never used a FlexBody or ArcBody.

However, I suspect that you need the flash sync output cable if you want to use the mechanical shutter in the lens. It uses the flash sync signal to trigger capture mode on the back when the lens shutter is released.

The eshutter requires no connection at all with the lens ... you basically just stop the aperture down, leave the shutter open, and drive the back with its own soft shutter release or remote release (or Phocus in tethered mode). This is exactly the same way you use V system lenses fitted to the 500CM in eshutter/live view mode.

G

darr

Thanks...gregg

I occasionally use a Flexbody with a CFV-50c and yes it needs to use a flash sync cable just like any other tech camera.

nameBrandon

I occasionally use a Flexbody with a CFV-50c and yes it needs to use a flash sync cable just like any other tech camera.
Two questions for you guys.. and perhaps I"m trying to solve the same issue as Glaiben..

1) Does the release cord X work on the CFV II 50c?

2) Let's say I've got the CFV back setup with 907x + XV adapter, and mounted a few macro tubes and then my CF lens at the front. I want to use flash. I've connected the PC port on the lens to the input on the CFV back. I've connected the output port on the CFV to my flash/trigger. At this point I'm assuming I can use the 907X shutter release to kick off the whole kit.. 907x triggers digital back which is connected to flash and lens shutter and it all works properly? Or is that not the case? Any if it does work, then how do I trigger the 907x without shaking the setup (thus, question #1).

Similarly, if I have a tech cam and the back and a CF lens, with the same cables setup up, what would kick off the exposure / capture in the first place? (I know ES is a possibility with tech cams, but I'm more interested in using the mechanical shutter sync for flash purposes).

Edit - I guess to answer #1, this should work in ES mode.. That's interesting, as the Release Cord X does work in ES and it also triggers the mechanical leaf shutter on the XCD lenses on the X1D. Still not sure on how to kick off the exposure initially with 907x/CFVii 50c though if you don't use ES, but have the shutter and flash ports synced with the cables..?

Anyways, per the accessory section of the CFV II 50c manual..

RELEASE CORD X

CP.HB.00000242.01

The Hasselblad Release Cord X allows for remote shutter control in Electronic Shutter mode on the CFV II 50C, helping to eliminate shake or vibration. A durable cloth-wrapped 90cm (36 in.) cable connects to the microphone input of the CFV II 50C and the simple single button operation allows photographers to keep vibration to a minimum. Its durable metal construction combined with its slim, ergonomic design fits comfortably in the hand. Release Cord X comes with a small leather carry pouch.

Last edited:

tcdeveau

Any idea if the X release cord (through the CFVII 50c 3.5mm jack) would then sync a lens shutter and the flash sync port on the back of camera, all together?
I do not, sorry. I don’t have any strobe/flash gear (or V-system lenses) so don’t think I can test a setup like this.

Godfrey

Glaiben's question had to do with the Flexbody, which has a lens mount that includes a mechanical shutter release for V system lenses as well as a mechanism to re-cock the lens shutter. With that setup, you connect the lens shutter to the CFVII 50c back with a cable from the lens flash sync terminal to the Flash In port: this allows the back to sense when to operate in frame capture mode, using the lens shutter to time the exposure. The CFVII 50c Flash Out port transfers the flash sync signal from the lens to an external flash system.

It will work the same way with any technical camera that provides a V lens mount, presuming that the technical camera's V lens mount has both a lens shutter release port and a lens shutter recocking mechanism.

When you're using the back in electronic shutter mode, the Flash In port acts as a remote shutter trigger and the electronic shutter does not support electronic flash triggering. So when you're using a V lens on the XV Adapter or on a technical camera fitted with barrel lenses or 35mm SLR lenses necessitating the use of electronic shutter, you do not have electronic flash triggering available.

(The XV Adapter has no lens shutter release connection, nor any way to recock the mechanical lens shutter.)

Summarizing, to your questions:

1) Yes, the Release Cord X is the wired remote release for the CFVII 50c. It works with the back when operating in e-shutter mode as well as when connected to a 907x body using XCD series lenses with their in-lens shutters.

2) This breaks into cases depending upon the configuration you are using:

• If using the 907x/CFVII 50c with XCD native lenses, you use the Release Cord X as a wired remote release. I think this also works with the 907x/CFVII 50c + XH Adapter + H system lenses, since these lenses (like the XCD lenses) have electronically timed and powered mechanical shutters controlled by the camera body.
  • If using an 907x + XV Adapter—or a tech camera with any lens that does not have mechanical lens shutter capability—you use the e-shutter and do not have flash sync capability. The Release Cord X works as above.
  • If using a technical camera/Hasselblad body (or other lens/shutter units) that supports C/CF mechanical shutter use, you have electronic flash capability with the CFVII 50c using the Flash In port to trigger the back from the lens shutter and the Flash Out port to trigger the flash. The Release Cord X is not used in this configuration: You trigger the exposure using the body or technical camera's shutter release.
G

SrMphoto

These are the cards recommended by Hasselblad for the 907x/CFVII 50c:

Sandisk Extreme PRO UHS-II 300MB/s
Panasonic V90 UHS-II 280MB/s
Toshiba EXCERIA PRO UHS-II 270MB/s
SONY M UHS-II 260MB/s

For reasons unknown to me (or to Hasselblad USA Customer Service), my 907x Special Edition was delivered with a 128G Lexar Professional 1667x, 250 MB/s card fitted in Slot 1. It's what I've been using with the camera since I got it, even though it isn't on the officially recommended list. Since I haven't used anything else, I can't really tell you whether this is good or bad, but it seems to work well.

G
It is interesting to read what Hasselblad says to avoid (p71 of User Manual):

Avoid using Micro SD/TF memory cards with SD card sets. Some Sony high-speed G UHS-II SD 300MB/s memory cards might have poor compatibility, and therefore, might not be able to write image data properly.

nameBrandon

Glaiben's question had to do with the Flexbody, which has a lens mount that includes a mechanical shutter release for V system lenses as well as a mechanism to re-cock the lens shutter. With that setup, you connect the lens shutter to the CFVII 50c back with a cable from the lens flash sync terminal to the Flash In port: this allows the back to sense when to operate in frame capture mode, using the lens shutter to time the exposure. The CFVII 50c Flash Out port transfers the flash sync signal from the lens to an external flash system.

It will work the same way with any technical camera that provides a V lens mount, presuming that the technical camera's V lens mount has both a lens shutter release port and a lens shutter recocking mechanism.

When you're using the back in electronic shutter mode, the Flash In port acts as a remote shutter trigger and the electronic shutter does not support electronic flash triggering. So when you're using a V lens on the XV Adapter or on a technical camera fitted with barrel lenses or 35mm SLR lenses necessitating the use of electronic shutter, you do not have electronic flash triggering available.

(The XV Adapter has no lens shutter release connection, nor any way to recock the mechanical lens shutter.)

Summarizing, to your questions:

1) Yes, the Release Cord X is the wired remote release for the CFVII 50c. It works with the back when operating in e-shutter mode as well as when connected to a 907x body using XCD series lenses with their in-lens shutters.

2) This breaks into cases depending upon the configuration you are using:

• If using the 907x/CFVII 50c with XCD native lenses, you use the Release Cord X as a wired remote release. I think this also works with the 907x/CFVII 50c + XH Adapter + H system lenses, since these lenses (like the XCD lenses) have electronically timed and powered mechanical shutters controlled by the camera body.
  • If using an 907x + XV Adapter—or a tech camera with any lens that does not have mechanical lens shutter capability—you use the e-shutter and do not have flash sync capability. The Release Cord X works as above.
  • If using a technical camera/Hasselblad body (or other lens/shutter units) that supports C/CF mechanical shutter use, you have electronic flash capability with the CFVII 50c using the Flash In port to trigger the back from the lens shutter and the Flash Out port to trigger the flash. The Release Cord X is not used in this configuration: You trigger the exposure using the body or technical camera's shutter release.
G

Thank you! That's perfect. I may need to look into a flexbody! I imagine that's is the cheapest entry point into a technical camera that can cock/fire a V-shutter. I'm assuming LiveView works as expected instead of having to pre-focus with a viewfinder as one had to do in the past?

Godfrey

Thank you! That's perfect. I may need to look into a flexbody! I imagine that's is the cheapest entry point into a technical camera that can cock/fire a V-shutter. I'm assuming LiveView works as expected instead of having to pre-focus with a viewfinder as one had to do in the past?
Yes, you'll use Live View rather than a ground glass, optical focusing back with the CFVII 50c back. The back's LCD does an excellent job of providing a focusing view with magnification aid and peaking aid if you find you need them.

I've gotten middling interested in the Flexbody as well. No rush, I think there are a good number of them out there for sale, so perhaps next year for me. I'm having a good time continuing to learn and explore the 907x and 500CM with CFVII 50c back for the present. :)

G

SrMphoto

Yes, you'll use Live View rather than a ground glass, optical focusing back with the CFVII 50c back. The back's LCD does an excellent job of providing a focusing view with magnification aid and peaking aid if you find you need them.

I've gotten middling interested in the Flexbody as well. No rush, I think there are a good number of them out there for sale, so perhaps next year for me. I'm having a good time continuing to learn and explore the 907x and 500CM with CFVII 50c back for the present. :)

G
What is the advantage of using CFVII 50c with 500CM instead of using the included 907x and a V-mount adapter? Thanks!

med

What is the advantage of using CFVII 50c with 500CM instead of using the included 907x and a V-mount adapter? Thanks!
Using a 500-series body will give you access to the mechanical leaf shutter in the lens, as well as an optical viewfinder with true waist-level viewing experience.

nameBrandon

Using a 500-series body will give you access to the mechanical leaf shutter in the lens, as well as an optical viewfinder with true waist-level viewing experience.
Yep! This is the fun part. I think for me the best is that you easily switch between both very quickly. If I need autofocus and the extra sharpness / resolution of the XCD lenses (or just a smaller package), then I will just pop the 907x on.