The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad CFV ll 50c

Godfrey

What are you using for a 4x3 viewfinder mask on the 500 series bodies? Focusing is difficult enough as it is with my eyes starting to go on me (bifocals time..) but I can't seem to get composition down in my head with the large viewfinder.. I'm alway cutting off heads and legs.. :facesmack:
Ah youth! I've been wearing bifocals for about twenty-some years now. LOL!

G

nameBrandon

Didn't it come with a mask? Mine did...I think.
Your CFV II 50c? perhaps it did.. was it in the pouch with the stickers and manual? I opened that up for all of 2 seconds and then packed it away again. I'll have to go back and check the box.

darr

Godfrey.. or anyone actually..

What are you using for a 4x3 viewfinder mask on the 500 series bodies? Focusing is difficult enough as it is with my eyes starting to go on me (bifocals time..) but I can't seem to get composition down in my head with the large viewfinder.. I'm alway cutting off heads and legs.. :facesmack:

I'm guessing I can probably just get some cardboard and cut it out to size, but I'd love if there was a mask thin enough that could live in there with the viewfinder closed.

In the past with the CFV-50c, Hasselblad included this screen:

If interested, it can be purchased new from online retailers:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...blad_3042264_focusing_screen_for_cfv_50c.html

https://www.adorama.com/hsfscfv50c.html

I believe it is a Acute Matte D focusing screen 42215 with 44x33/33x33 markings.
It is very bright and I leave it in my 501CM all the time as it does not get in the way for me when I shoot 6x6 film.

SrMphoto

Your CFV II 50c? perhaps it did.. was it in the pouch with the stickers and manual? I opened that up for all of 2 seconds and then packed it away again. I'll have to go back and check the box.
Yes, it is in the little box with stickers and printed disclaimers.

nameBrandon

In the past with the CFV-50c, Hasselblad included this screen:

If interested, it can be purchased new from online retailers:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...blad_3042264_focusing_screen_for_cfv_50c.html

https://www.adorama.com/hsfscfv50c.html

I believe it is a Acute Matte D focusing screen 42215 with 44x33/33x33 markings.
It is very bright and I leave it in my 501CM all the time as it does not get in the way for me when I shoot 6x6 film.
Thank you, Darr! You are a wealth of information!

nameBrandon

The 907x/CFVII 50c comes with a thin viewfinder mask that you can fit into the V system viewfinder. Check your 907x package documentation for it ... it's in there.

I've never used it. When I was precise framing and am using a V system body, I flip to Live View and the electronic shutter. I know you like to use a strobe lighting setup so you want to use the lens shutter, but there's nothing to keep you from turning on Live View and then opening the shutter on Bulb to adjust the focus and framing, then closing the shutter, recocking the camera, and making the exposure. It just takes a few seconds to restore your exposure settings for the exposure, not a problem for the kind of still life/studio work that your lighting setup implies.

Another facet of this is that I tend to shoot with a waist level finder (or magnifying chimney) most of the time when I'm shooting with the V system bodies. The focusing screen I use fairly often has a "super slide" framing square scribed into it ... I find this scribed square fits the 33x33 cropped format of the CFVII 50c pretty closely, and that it's also pretty easy to mentally visualize the slightly more oblong 33x44 format with that in view ... it's just a 5mm addition to the framing lines on each side.

Of course, you can easily create a mask template in any simple graphics application, print it out precisely on some thin card stock or opaquefoil, cut it out with a hobby knife, and drop it in on top of the focusing screen before you slide the viewfinder you choose in place. Just create a 56x56 mm square, then a 33x44 mm rectangle, center the latter over the former, and print it out for the template. Use that as a cutting guide to make the mask. (My preference is for just a simple mask, without all the other format lines and such that docholliday does, but there's nothing wrong with either approach..). :)

Fun fun fun...!

G

I've been doing what you suggest with live view when I'm shooting with my studio lights. It is helpful to get critical focus. When I am just walking around with my 500C/M though live view isn't as feasible, as I'm usually shooting my young daughter or dog or other family members. I may give that screen Darr mentioned a shot.. and (cough) some reading glasses..

nameBrandon

OK.. so interesting problem with my 500C/M.

I seem to have somehow jammed my 21mm extension tube onto the body. I can't get it off..

I've read about the two screws behind the rear curtain and have tried turning the silver one clockwise, and that turns fine about 1/4 turn and stops. At that point there's some play in the shutter button but firing the shutter doesn't seem to release the mirror (which is stuck in the down position, I can see through the viewfinder). The mirror crank doesn't move, it's locked up as well.

There is no lens on the body, it's just the macro ring.. so perhaps that good, because I can access both sides of the camera body.

Thoughts or suggestions? :)

IMG_5603.jpeg

IMG_5605.jpeg

EDIT - Wow, OK.. lesson in cocking mechanisms.. I had to turn the silver screw, then on the macro ring I had to turn the cocking mechanism a few turns, then the lens release would work.. Now we're back to functional! Sheesh..!

darr

I seem to have somehow jammed my 21mm extension tube onto the body. I can't get it off..

I've read about the two screws behind the rear curtain and have tried turning the silver one clockwise, and that turns fine about 1/4 turn and stops. At that point there's some play in the shutter button but firing the shutter doesn't seem to release the mirror (which is stuck in the down position, I can see through the viewfinder). The mirror crank doesn't move, it's locked up as well.

There is no lens on the body, it's just the macro ring.. so perhaps that good, because I can access both sides of the camera body.

View attachment 150609

View attachment 150610

EDIT - Wow, OK.. lesson in cocking mechanisms.. I had to turn the silver screw, then on the macro ring I had to turn the cocking mechanism a few turns, then the lens release would work.. Now we're back to functional! Sheesh..!
When I use extension tubes with my Flexbody, I take my lens and other tubes off carefully, but it is not unusual to have to use the Camera Key (Unjammer) to get the cocking mechanism back in place. Very common issue, that's why the Camera Key was made.

You can use a screwdriver too, but I have had the Camera Key for decades. No longer made, but you can find them on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...kw=hasselblad+Camera+Key+(Unjammer)+&_sacat=0

nameBrandon

When I use extension tubes with my Flexbody, I take my lens and other tubes off carefully, but it is not unusual to have to use the Camera Key (Unjammer) to get the cocking mechanism back in place. Very common issue, that's why the Camera Key was made.

You can use a screwdriver too, but I have had the Camera Key for decades. No longer made, but you can find them on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...kw=hasselblad+Camera+Key+(Unjammer)+&_sacat=0
I love that you know so much about these bodies! Thanks for sharing that, will definitely pick one up.

jng

The Camerakey is still available from B&H!

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...hassy_tool_camerakey_tool_for_hasselblad.html

I keep one in my kit since triggering the lens shutter is more or less unavoidable when unmounting the lens from extension tubes that are themselves mounted to the dumb adapters that I'm using on my X1D and Cambo (there's no camera mechanism to keep the shutter from getting triggered). This still requires a definitive twist when unmounting, to prevent getting things stuck in the predicament that Brandon showed here.

John

dave.gt

View attachment 150609

View attachment 150610

Haha, congratulations! The Rite of Bladness! :thumbup: Everyone experiences this ritual eventually. When it happened to me, I freaked out.:ROTFL:

B L

Haha, congratulations! The Rite of Bladness! :thumbup: Everyone experiences this ritual eventually. When it happened to me, I freaked out.:ROTFL:
A Holy feature! I think Hasselblad should have included a screwdriver in every V series bodies they sold!

dave.gt

A Holy feature! I think Hasselblad should have included a screwdriver in every V series bodies they sold!
Haha! Then where would the excitement be?:):):) There are a lot of cool features like the V camera has the awesome "Ka-WHOMP!" sound as it literally breathes and captures life in an image! Blads breathe and I love that sound.:thumbs:

Yes, features!:salute:

nameBrandon

Hah, thanks all.. Glad to have been initiated into the ways of the V-series.

The pen / camera key has been ordered (along with the split-prism viewfinder).

There is something I just absolutely love about shooting with this camera, very tactile and enjoyable. I'm hoping the viewfinder upgrade makes seeing and focusing a bit easier though!

Last edited:

B L

Haha! Then where would the excitement be?:):):) There are a lot of cool features like the V camera has the awesome "Ka-WHOMP!" sound as it literally breathes and captures life in an image! Blads breathe and I love that sound.:thumbs:

Yes, features!:salute:
Yes that sound is from outer space, but when I want to wake sombody up, I trigger Bronica ETRS shutter! :)

JAB

That sound is definitely wonderful. I had pretty much shelved my V cameras for some time while shooting with my Canon. I recently picked up the Hasselblad and shooting again with my CFV16. All with the hopes of the new chrome back and body coming out. I had forgotten how satisfying that sound is. I almost always release the mirror and barn doors to minimize shake. That sound is wonderful, then followed with the shutter release. I look forward to the ease of the CFV II 50c in comparison to my CFV16! And the image quality!!

Godfrey

Godfrey

I see Branden has survived the V-system cocking synchronization ritual... :D

Perhaps this is one of the silly things that some others point to as "defects". I've had this happen almost every time I use extension tubes ... one of my tubes always seems to trigger the shutter release no matter how careful I am ... I've been using a little coin and a screwdriver to re-synchronize the body, tube and lens. The CameraKey looks a lot more convenient. :)

It never caught me out, though. The first time, I heard the lens and extension tube go "chiccck" and knew I had to reset them to separate (or assemble) the pieces. I'd read about it when I was doing my research to buy my first Hasselblad (which was the 903SWC so it wasn't relevant until a year later when I bought my first 500CM...).

G

B L

I see Branden has survived the V-system cocking synchronization ritual... :D

Perhaps this is one of the silly things that some others point to as "defects". I've had this happen almost every time I use extension tubes ... one of my tubes always seems to trigger the shutter release no matter how careful I am ... I've been using a little coin and a screwdriver to re-synchronize the body, tube and lens. The CameraKey looks a lot more convenient. :)

It never caught me out, though. The first time, I heard the lens and extension tube go "chiccck" and knew I had to reset them to separate (or assemble) the pieces. I'd read about it when I was doing my research to buy my first Hasselblad (which was the 903SWC so it wasn't relevant until a year later when I bought my first 500CM...).

G
I keep atleast one 5p coin with me,just incase !