The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad CFV ll 50c

sog1927

I think Fotodiox still makes them and sells them new. That's where I got mine.

I needed it when I was using my V lenses and tubes on a Leica S.

When I use extension tubes with my Flexbody, I take my lens and other tubes off carefully, but it is not unusual to have to use the Camera Key (Unjammer) to get the cocking mechanism back in place. Very common issue, that's why the Camera Key was made.

You can use a screwdriver too, but I have had the Camera Key for decades. No longer made, but you can find them on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...kw=hasselblad+Camera+Key+(Unjammer)+&_sacat=0

DB5

I would buy this (or the X1D) but not being able to use Capture One is unfortunately a deal breaker.

The Fuji's aren't as interesting to me but I will likely go that route instead.

Photography is fun of annoying gotchas.

nameBrandon

I would buy this (or the X1D) but not being able to use Capture One is unfortunately a deal breaker.

The Fuji's aren't as interesting to me but I will likely go that route instead.

Photography is fun of annoying gotchas.
Yeah, the Fuji was just so uninspiring when I tested it out (50S in my case). I love their little APS-C stuff (I have an X-T4 myself) but even just looking at that big black box was depressing to me.

I'm curious though, what do you do in C1 that using it is a deal breaker? Not challenging you, just interested. Is it a highly optimized workflow like shooting weddings and it comes down to how quickly you can edit an entire set? Is it tethered capabilities?

I would love to use C1 myself as well, but it's not a deal breaker. I used it for 4-5 years until I got ged up with the cataloging capabilities (or lack thereof). I've since moved to what I call a "global" workflow where the image import / management is primarily done with Bridge and is independent of any raw editor. Then I use whatever raw editor I prefer (usually Lightroom, sometimes Phocus) and using side-car files, and then build constant export recipes / presets for each raw editor and export to a standard location. There are some things I miss about C1, but nothing irreplaceable.

PSS

I have used C1 for decades, i have owned phase backs, i use C1 with my Sonys but I don’t miss not being able to use it with X1D at all....
Since i prefer Sony files in C1 to the way adobe handles them, i do not even consider LR for the hasselblad but thanks to these forums i gave it another try and could not be happier...
Phocus mobile on iPad Pro is the best tethering solution i have ever used....its awesome....my C1 certified digital tech was impressed....and LR mobile is so impressive, I have not turned on my mac in a while....

elm

Need your advice on using the CFVII 50c on a 5xx camera (I don't own one yet but soon enough!)

Metering? How are you determining the exposure using a 5xx camera body with lenses ranging from 50mm CF to 180mm CF (lenses that I have)?

With film, I would use a hand held incident and/or spot meter or a TTL via a PMExx finder to determine the exposure. With digital, are you using the TTL off the sensor of the CFVII 50c, and translating aperture and shutter speed onto the lense? Combination of external and internal metering? What is best practice to minimize post processing?

(I know I will not have this issue with a 907x + CVFII 50c + XCD combo--thus maybe answering my own question.)

Thank you for your response and advice in advance. You all be safe and be well!

nameBrandon

Need your advice on using the CFVII 50c on a 5xx camera (I don't own one yet but soon enough!)

Metering? How are you determining the exposure using a 5xx camera body with lenses ranging from 50mm CF to 180mm CF (lenses that I have)?

With film, I would use a hand held incident and/or spot meter or a TTL via a PMExx finder to determine the exposure. With digital, are you using the TTL off the sensor of the CFVII 50c, and translating aperture and shutter speed onto the lense? Combination of external and internal metering? What is best practice to minimize post processing?

(I know I will not have this issue with a 907x + CVFII 50c + XCD combo--thus maybe answering my own question.)

I do the very scientific method of guessing the exposure initially and then reviewing the image on the back for over/underexposure and adjusting accordingly.. :)

tcdeveau

When I used the CFVII back on my tech cam, I just set the aperture and ISO, and then used the Lux app (a light metering application) on the iPhone to determine shutter speed. it did a pretty good job.

Godfrey

When fitted to my 500CM, the CFVII 50c only supports manual exposure mode and does not provide an exposure readout: It simply takes the settings you set whether in standard {500 body} mode (using the lens shutter) or in {Any: electronic shutter} mode (using the back's electronic shutter settings). I don't have any of the metering prisms for my camera, but I don't think it makes any difference in reading and setting exposure, or making exposure.

I use a Sekonic L-358 to make an reading of a subject, incident or reflective ... the PMExx finder would do the same given a reflective reading... and set that aperture on the lens, and the shutter time on the lens if using the 500 body mode or on the back if using electronic shutter mode. The exposure is made either way as required, the results are identical.

Why do you think this might be any different from using a 907x/CFVII 50c back and a XCD lens with the camera in manual exposure mode? The exposure might be a little different with the 907x in Auto exposure mode, depending upon what the metering sees and is responding to, but the same would be true if the 500CM supported an AE mode as well. :)

G

anyone

If I use my IQ1 60 on a tripod, I use a spot meter (Sekonic L758-D) to check both the highlights and shadows. Very reliable. Handheld: guestimation + histogram.

anyone

I see Branden has survived the V-system cocking synchronization ritual... :D

Perhaps this is one of the silly things that some others point to as "defects". I've had this happen almost every time I use extension tubes ... one of my tubes always seems to trigger the shutter release no matter how careful I am ... I've been using a little coin and a screwdriver to re-synchronize the body, tube and lens. The CameraKey looks a lot more convenient. :)
The only time this happens to me is with teleconverters: no matter how careful I am, the shutter gets triggered on my 350mm with the Apo TK. If someone knows a workaround, that would be most helpful. Until then, I keep rewinding the shutter with a coin.

B L

Try removing lens first and teleconverter or tubes afterwords. This trick works most of the times.
The only time this happens to me is with teleconverters: no matter how careful I am, the shutter gets triggered on my 350mm with the Apo TK. If someone knows a workaround, that would be most helpful. Until then, I keep rewinding the shutter with a coin.

sog1927

Well, when I finally talk myself into buying one (;) ), I intend to use either my PME-5 or (if I'm using it with the WLF) my trusty Gossen Ultra Pro with the spotmeter attachment.

Unless I'm doing really extreme macro with the Luminars and the microscope shutter - in which case I'll just use the TTL flash metering in the CW body with the Hasselblad macroflash (after I figure out how to correct for the difference in reflection between film and the sensor). I think that pretty well has it covered.

So, basically the same way I always did.

sog1927

In fact, the manuals for both the tubes an the teleconverters explicitly tell you to do this. It has always worked for me.

Try removing lens first and teleconverter or tubes afterwords. This trick works most of the times.

nameBrandon

Question for you all (as well as the X1D owners).. Is there a way to change the file prefix from B000? I'm running into a situation where my X1D II and my CFV2 are starting to overlap in file numbers.. which causes an issue on export as I export to folders by format / resolution / quality, and I don't make any adjustments to the file names when I export.

With my workflow it's heavily directory structured, so I copy files from the SD card via finder, I don't do any special app import process that would append or prepend a new prefix/suffix..

I'm just kind of amazed if this is the case and Hasselblad has not yet allowed for changing the file naming format.. hopefully I'm missing something here.

vieri

Question for you all (as well as the X1D owners).. Is there a way to change the file prefix from B000? I'm running into a situation where my X1D II and my CFV2 are starting to overlap in file numbers.. which causes an issue on export as I export to folders by format / resolution / quality, and I don't make any adjustments to the file names when I export.

With my workflow it's heavily directory structured, so I copy files from the SD card via finder, I don't do any special app import process that would append or prepend a new prefix/suffix..

I'm just kind of amazed if this is the case and Hasselblad has not yet allowed for changing the file naming format.. hopefully I'm missing something here.
Hello Brandon,

I am sorry to be the bearer of relatively bad news, but unfortunately there is no way that I know of to change the filename with the X1D / X1D II, and I assume this to be the case for the 907 as well. Incidentally, there is no way to add copyright information as well.

Since I don't use Lightroom and therefore am not able to change names upon import, my solution for this is to use "A Better Finder Rename" for Mac and rename all my files right after copying them to my computer.

Hope this helps, best regards

Vieri

jng

You can change the file name prefix and reset the numbering when importing via Phocus. This will convert the 3fr files to .fff files which presumably should be fine for your purposes? You can choose the destination of your files so hopefully this will be compatible with your workflow.

Hope this helps.

John

nameBrandon

Hello Brandon,

I am sorry to be the bearer of relatively bad news, but unfortunately there is no way that I know of to change the filename with the X1D / X1D II, and I assume this to be the case for the 907 as well. Incidentally, there is no way to add copyright information as well.

Since I don't use Lightroom and therefore am not able to change names upon import, my solution for this is to use "A Better Finder Rename" for Mac and rename all my files right after copying them to my computer.

Hope this helps, best regards

Vieri
Thanks, Vieri! I will look into that.. it sounds like our workflow may be somewhat similar.. I do not like for any program to "import" my photos, I manually copy them from SD card to a set of folders I create for each import. Thanks for the tip!!

Edit- WOW! This looks great, Vieri! Out of curiosity, would share your file naming standard? I see it can use EXIF data to build the file name which is perfect.. I'm wondering if including camera and lens information in the file name is too much..