Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Hasselblad CFV ll 50c

Post Thanks / Like

Hasselblad CFV ll 50c

Announcement of this back is the big news, IMO. It has several advances over the old one: battery in body, flip screen and a high resolution LCD.
    And the 907x body idea is just terrific.
    How about pricing and availability, Hasselblad?
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hasselblad CFV ll 50c

I'm so excited about this
    http://www.elundqvist.photo
    twitter: @erik_lundqvist
    instagram: elundqvist.photo
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBrew View Post
    several advances over the old one
    Hopefully also electronic shutter and automatic brightness control. Back-illuminated sensor? (Well, can dream)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
    Hopefully also electronic shutter and automatic brightness control. Back-illuminated sensor? (Well, can dream)
    It must be the old sensor so no back illumination, but there should be a very slow electronic shutter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Lundqvist View Post
    Me too. Affordable up-to-date digital back for technical camera.

Introducing also a 907X camera body, thereby rejuvenating the V-system, strongly suggests that a future CFV 100c (back-illuminated) could be a real possibility.
    Last edited by TheDude; 19th June 2019 at 06:06.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Will the new cameras be as buggy as their website?

When I just looked at their site all their videos played at once and I couldn't make sense of the one I was trying to watch. Had to shut the site down.

The CFV is the most interesting but I have moved on from V, the lenses on digital are really just not good enough. The X1D 2 at 50MP is not a good sign.

Maybe there will be an H7 but this is really average after a long wait for some kind of sign of life.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

(like I said in the "Hasselblad Teaser and Upcoming Announcement" thread: )
    I'm eager to see videos of CFVii-50c focus peaking in action ... btw wouldn't an external EVF be possible on such system ? (likely)

And yes, all this mean that V system is still (almost ;-) alive!
    Hope for a larger 54x40mm CFV - whatever mega pixels - is not yet squashed ... (but then it couldn't be fully used with X lenses as they don't cover well such larger image circle? so maybe unlikely ;-( but a future 44x33 higher resolution CFV ~likely)
    Last edited by edouard; 19th June 2019 at 07:16.

Post Thanks / Like

Announcement of this back is the big news, IMO. It has several advances over the old one: battery in body, flip screen and a high resolution LCD.
    I totally agree John.... I think the CFV II and the 907X is going to be a pretty cool system. Unfortunately, Hasselblad hasn't given its dealer channel any information on specs, pricing or availability.

I think the X1D II is an evolutionary update, but the meat of the announcement here is this new platform.
    Denny Semick
    Dodd Camera - Professional Imaging Division
    [email protected] p.216-361-6805 http://www.doddpro.com

Post Thanks / Like

there should be a very slow electronic shutter.
    Global shutter is apparently not yet technically possible for the 44x33mm format, but rolling shutter readout times are getting shorter. How much rolling shutter will be an issue for the CFV II, will have to be seen.

Post Thanks / Like

Global shutter is apparently not yet technically possible for the 44x33mm format, but rolling shutter readout times are getting shorter. How much rolling shutter will be an issue for the CFV II, will have to be seen.
    If it still uses the IMX 161, which it probably does, then readout at the sensor level is about 300 msec.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Me too . Me too .

I phoned my dealer this afternoon . Preorders are not taken yet for the CFV II 50c and also not for the 907X
    but he put me on an orderlist for the CFV II 50c. Top position .
    Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JimKasson View Post
    If it still uses the IMX 161, which it probably does, then readout at the sensor level is about 300 msec.

Jim
    It is my understanding too that Sony's IMX161 is used.

The original CFV-50c also used the IMX161 but no electronic shutter was ever made available, and I assume, for a good technical reason.

Maybe later versions of the IMX161 have faster processing? (Don't know what precisely is responsible for readout speed.)

Post Thanks / Like

I was really hoping for more that a "mid-life kicker" (as we say in the supercomputer business) for the X series. I wonder if they're having thermal issues integrating the 100MP sensor in the X form factor? I'm surprised by the lack of a joystick to move the autofocus point - that was pretty high up on most people's list of "stuff I'd like to see in an improved X". I hardly ever use autofocus, so I don't really care.

If the CFV had come out two years ago, I'd have been first in line to buy one. I might still do so, since there are things I can do with the V system (extreme macro, thanks to the lens adapter and the microshutter, and long telephoto lenses like the Apotessar) that aren't supported by the X platform.

I like the idea of the 907. Where's the flash shoe?

The 35-70 looks wonderful - I think I'm going to have to make some adjustments to my lens arsenal.

I really expected an H-series refresh, too.

Post Thanks / Like

It is my understanding too that Sony's IMX161 is used.

The original CFV-50c also used the IMX161 but no electronic shutter was ever made available, and I assume, for a good technical reason.

Maybe later versions of the IMX161 have faster processing? (Don't know what precisely is responsible for readout speed.)
    There was no electronic shutter in the X1D when it was first released - it was added by a firmware update (after Hasselblad said for months that it was "impossible"). Since it looks (from the UI) like the CFV is running the same firmware as the X, I assume it will be available there (with the same 300msec readout constraint).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sog1927 View Post
    There was no electronic shutter in the X1D when it was first released - it was added by a firmware update (after Hasselblad said for months that it was "impossible"). Since it looks (from the UI) like the CFV is running the same firmware as the X, I assume it will be available there (with the same 300msec readout constraint).
    You mean of course the CFV II 50c .

There is no firmware update for the (original) CFV-50c that would add electronic shutter.

Post Thanks / Like

Is the 907X going to be any better than the X1D other than for it's nostalgia factor? If so how?

Edit: OK I get it now the 907X is little more than an adapter to join X lenses to the new back

Post Thanks / Like

I like the idea of the 907. Where's the flash shoe?

If you check the very end of the promo video I think the flash shoe is below the external viewfinder. The 907 + grip and flash shoe is interesting indeed.

X1D II...will pass that one. In my opinion not enough benefits to update my 4116. Still working splendid...

Post Thanks / Like

(Don't know what precisely is responsible for readout speed.)
    At the sensor level, it's mostly how fast you can run the column ADCs. That in turn depends on their precision.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Nick-T has been vindicated!! A little over two years ago he insisted there would be a CFV II. And he was correct, even though Hasselblad was very slow to implement. Wonder where he is now?
    Nick-T, if you’re still around step up and take a bow.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

So which will be cheaper the new X1D II or buying the back and 907x ?

I'm not sure I see the advantage over the X1D though if you're still going to use the X lenses

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DougDolde View Post
    I'm not sure I see the advantage over the X1D though if you're still going to use the X lenses
    As part of a camera system, it has a very different purpose from the X1D. The CFVII gives you the ability to use your existing Hasselblad V system equipment (whether you believe the lenses are good enough to get the best quality out of it or not...) with a fully digital workflow. The 907x gives you the ability to use the XCD lenses as well in the same modular Hasselblad system.

The X1D II is supposedly just under $6000. I would expect the CVFII back to be priced similarly, since it is the complex part of the kit, and the 907X to be relatively inexpensive as "bodies" go.

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I wonder if this will work as well on the Fuji GX680 as the old ones did. In any case, used older backs will hopefully fall in price as a result of this.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DougDolde View Post

Only Hasselblad knows the prices ;-) but if you only shoot with XCD lens, I'd imagine the X1D would be better, with integrated grip, EVF etc. CFV II 50C is for us who prefer the weapon of a more civilized time, where the bright WLF and the massive Zeiss lens make the heart sings. And then add the 907X and 20mm, the siren of SWC sings anew...

Post Thanks / Like

from a technical point of view - is it possible that we can see a 100mp back from hasselblad with this setup?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gmfotografie View Post
    from a technical point of view - is it possible that we can see a 100mp back from hasselblad with this setup?
    Only if they solve the heat dissipation and the sharpness problems. The latter will probably require IBIS, and there probably isn't enough space.

Post Thanks / Like

To me this new CFV / 907X system is simply brilliant - very very exited!

Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swissblad View Post
    To me this new CFV / 907X system is simply brilliant - very very exited!

Me too! Hopefully they get the pricing right. Judging what the cfv has less in features vs. the X1D II (evf, gps) the production costs should be less compared to the camera. So I also hope for a price below X1D II.

Post Thanks / Like

I am very excited about the CFV! Together with the 907x it looks fantastic and I am hoping it plays well with the Alpa!!! Could be the ticket back to wideangle tech setup
    Alpa 12 Plus • TC | Schneider 90N | Schneider 120N | Hasselblad X1D | XCD 21 | XCD 45 | XCD 90 | www.danlindberg.com
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Long time 'blad user and sporadic reader of the forum here. I was about to sell my 203FE and 202FA setups and take a sidestep. The CFV II 50c has me reconsidering my options, but this will very much depend on the details.

I wrote about my experience with 'blads a couple of years ago (Google "Ten Years With a Hasselblad"). Anyway, at the end I summarised: "This is an unfortunate situation that Fuji/Hasselblad have now created. The market for new and used digital medium format backs for V series cameras, those of higher resolution and quality, is now essentially dead. Unless Hasselblad can release one at a much lower cost than the mirrorless cameras, which is unlikely to happen as that will impact the mirrorless sales. The V series in digital form is now over from a development point of view."

So I'm pleasantly surprised to see this announcement. I suspect the reason the they haven't released the price of the back is that it is going to cost less than the X camera, potentially significantly less. They don't want this to impact sales of the new X model so are holding back for a few months to get those orders in first (?). Of course, this is what I'm hoping for. Given the CFV II is using the same tech as the X but is in simplified form, and the tooling for the back already exists so they're simply retrofitting existing tech with minor tooling tweaks and updating some of the software. Theoretically they can sell this at lower price point, and that would be a big response to Fuji, et al.

The sticking points are two things:

1) The compatibility with V models - Exactly which models? If it can work with 200 series bodies without the use of a cable and without modification of the bodies then I'm sold. If it can work with the 200 series + FE lenses then even better.

2) Hasselblad's commitment to continue and re-evaluate service options on V series bodies. I spoke to Hasselblad UK a year or two ago and they said the 200 series are no longer being worked on. This is, of course, a massive problem. There's no point releasing this back if they're going to EOL the V series service options. Extending the service options could be a good source of income for Hasselblad given the number of V bodies still in use and available, they need to commit to it if they want to sell lots of these backs.

Post Thanks / Like

Long time 'blad user and sporadic reader of the forum here. I was about to sell my 203FE and 202FA setups and take a sidestep. The CFV II 50c has me reconsidering my options, but this will very much depend on the details.

I wrote about my experience with 'blads a couple of years ago (Google "Ten Years With a Hasselblad"). Anyway, at the end I summarised: "This is an unfortunate situation that Fuji/Hasselblad have now created. The market for new and used digital medium format backs for V series cameras, those of higher resolution and quality, is now essentially dead. Unless Hasselblad can release one at a much lower cost than the mirrorless cameras, which is unlikely to happen as that will impact the mirrorless sales. The V series in digital form is now over from a development point of view."

So I'm pleasantly surprised to see this announcement. I suspect the reason the they haven't released the price of the back is that it is going to cost less than the X camera, potentially significantly less. They don't want this to impact sales of the new X model so are holding back for a few months to get those orders in first (?). Of course, this is what I'm hoping for. Given the CFV II is using the same tech as the X but is in simplified form, and the tooling for the back already exists so they're simply retrofitting existing tech with minor tooling tweaks and updating some of the software. Theoretically they can sell this at lower price point, and that would be a big response to Fuji, et al.

1) The compatibility with V models - Exactly which models? If it can work with 200 series bodies without the use of a cable and without modification of the bodies then I'm sold. If it can work with the 200 series + FE lenses then even better.

2) Hasselblad's commitment to continue and re-evaluate service options on V series bodies. I spoke to Hasselblad UK a year or two ago and they said the 200 series are no longer being worked on. This is, of course, a massive problem. There's no point releasing this back if they're going to EOL the V series service options. Extending the service options could be a good source of income for Hasselblad given the number of V bodies still in use and available, they need to commit to it if they want to sell lots of these backs and especially so if they're hanging on the promise of working with these cameras.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by richardman View Post
    Only if they solve the heat dissipation and the sharpness problems. The latter will probably require IBIS, and there probably isn't enough space.
    Does HB already have a 100MP back for the H system ? I know it doesn t mate with the V series but it is about the same technical challenge .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by leejo View Post

2) Hasselblad's commitment to continue and re-evaluate service options on V series bodies. I spoke to Hasselblad UK a year or two ago and they said the 200 series are no longer being worked on. This is, of course, a massive problem. There's no point releasing this back if they're going to EOL the V series service options. Extending the service options could be a good source of income for Hasselblad given the number of V bodies still in use and available, they need to commit to it if they want to sell lots of these backs and especially so if they're hanging on the promise of working with these cameras.
    Not a chance that the new back will cost less than the new X1D 2 .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glenerrolrd View Post
    Not a chance that the new back will cost less than the new X1D 2 .
    I hope they can at least keep it in the same ball park, if so they’ll probably sell a boat load of them and make a lot of people very happy (including possibly myself).

My own excitement for the back will diminish pretty quickly if the price creeps up past $6-7k or so

Post Thanks / Like

The old CVF-50c works fine with the 203FE, digitally modified and the 500 series. If I recall correctly, the 203 worked as well unmodified, but then in 500C compatibility mode.
    I had a very old SWC at some point, where the back just did not mount (not because of the battery). Neither Hasselblad nor the local rep could help. I would think that the new back has the same level of compatibility.
    The new back is cool, but on a legacy body, it does not seem to offer much over the old version. Obviously it adds functionality to help the new 907 to drive AF for XCD lenses. I would not be surprised HB comes out in less than two years with a 100 MPix body. Financially, this would make sense.

Post Thanks / Like

Historically Hasselblad used the names SWC, 903 and 905. A 907 is now announced, is it fair to say it will therefore fit non-Hasselblad V mount digital backs?

Post Thanks / Like

I am not even very sure my CFV-50c Mark I would operate properly. I understand the thing will have an AF option and even MF you need to see what you are doing. The Live View function of the Mark I is pathetic.

Post Thanks / Like

... I suspect the reason the they haven't released the price of the back is that it is going to cost less than the X camera, potentially significantly less. They don't want this to impact sales of the new X model so are holding back for a few months to get those orders in first (?) ... Theoretically they can sell this at lower price point ...

Not a bit overly optimistic!

The original CFV-50c was introduced with a retail price of about $15K ($12.5K special introductory price in Japan).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Photon42 View Post
    I would not be surprised HB comes out in less than two years with a 100 MPix body. Financially, this would make sense.
    IMO, the question is not if but when.

Post Thanks / Like

What is the crop factor using 6x6 lenses on a 645 sensor? 80mm becomes what?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by faberryman View Post
    What is the crop factor using 6x6 lenses on a 645 sensor? 80mm becomes what?
    80 mm focal length is still 80 mm focal length, but on a 53.4x40 mm sensor the field of view is equivalent to that of a 50 mm lens on a 24x18 (35 mm) sensor.

Post Thanks / Like

Not a bit overly optimistic!

The original CFV-50c was introduced with a retail price of about $15K ($12.5K special introductory price in Japan).
    Five years ago. When the MF digital market was very different and when costs were higher.

Hasselblad have just slashed $3,000 off the price for the new X, which is a clear sign they are competing with Fuji and no longer following their previous pricing models. I expect the CFV II 50c to be selling for not more than $5,000 with the X mount an extra $2,000 or so on top.

Sure, I'm optimistic

Post Thanks / Like

The old CVF-50c works fine with the 203FE, digitally modified and the 500 series. If I recall correctly, the 203 worked as well unmodified, but then in 500C compatibility mode.
    The problem is the V series are essentially EOL'd, especially the 200 series. If Hasselblad are still going to offer the conversion to work with FE lenses / metering then that's nice but they need to make sure they commit to servicing the bodies as well. If I pick up a CFV II 50c I want to get five years out of it at a minimum, and that means at least one if not two service cycles for the bodies.

The new back is cool, but on a legacy body, it does not seem to offer much over the old version.
    At a lower price point it would compel a lot of users to look into Hasselblad over Fuji. That's the dilemma they're facing. MF digital is now starting to appeal to the prosumer market and pros who would not have previously looked into MF cameras, and Hasselblad can't miss that opportunity.

I'm just speculating here. Hasselblad know how much the CFV II 50c is going to cost to make, they have all the tooling in place, they know the profit margins, so why haven't they announced the price? Because if they do they will cannibalise sales of the new X body. I was originally going to sell my 203FE + 110mm FE setup to fund the new X, but i'm going to hold on to see if my theory is true.

Post Thanks / Like

I expect the CFV II 50c to be selling for not more than $5,000
    Maybe not at introduction but perhaps after a couple of months (hopefully!).

I wouldn't be surprised if a CFV-100c is already in the works, and when introduced, might push down the price of the CFV II 50c to that level.
    Last edited by TheDude; 20th June 2019 at 13:00.

Post Thanks / Like

Five years ago. When the MF digital market was very different and when costs were higher.

Hasselblad have just slashed $3,000 off the price for the new X, which is a clear sign they are competing with Fuji and no longer following their previous pricing models. I expect the CFV II 50c to be selling for not more than $5,000 with the X mount an extra $2,000 or so on top.

Sure, I'm optimistic
    Good points! In my opinion both the mount and the back together will be cheaper then the X1D II, seriously they have to. The back does not have GPS, or an EVF and should be easier to assemble as well... I cannot figure out a single reason why one should buy this combo over the X1D II if it would be more expensive with less features.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OleBe View Post
    I cannot figure out a single reason why one should buy this combo over the X1D II if it would be more expensive with less features.
    Coolness factor

Need the CFV also for a technical camera or other Hasselblad camera

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OleBe View Post
    Good points! In my opinion both the mount and the back together will be cheaper then the X1D II, seriously they have to. The back does not have GPS, or an EVF and should be easier to assemble as well... I cannot figure out a single reason why one should buy this combo over the X1D II if it would be more expensive with less features.
    There is not a chance that the back and the 907 will be less than the x1d 2..its only $5750. The product is aimed at someone that can benefit from the versatility of a modular back ....thru using a V series kit or perhaps a view camera . The last CV back was $15K ...a better guess would be around $10K for the back and another $5k for the 907 .

Post Thanks / Like

The last CV back was $15K ...a better guess would be around $10K for the back and another $5k for the 907.
    In view of prices of other cameras using the IMX161 sensor, somehow I feel $7-8K could be expected for the CVF II.

Update: A well-informed and very trustworthy source told me this morning that the price of the CVF II will be in the same ballpark as the X1D II.
    Last edited by TheDude; 21st June 2019 at 07:42.

Post Thanks / Like

The data sheet for the IMX161AQP-C sensor states, "diagonal 55 mm (Type 3.4) CMOS ... 51.4 M effective pixels. ... 14-bit digital output makes it possible to readout the signals of 51.4 M effective pixels at high-speed of 3.3 frames/s in still picture mode." https://bit.ly/2KtX3aE

Seems that readout speed is an intrinsic characteristic of the sensor design. In other words, we are stuck with the (slow!) 3.3 frames/s (300msec) readout speed.

Post Thanks / Like

There is not a chance that the back and the 907 will be less than the x1d 2..its only $5750. The product is aimed at someone that can benefit from the versatility of a modular back ....thru using a V series kit or perhaps a view camera . The last CV back was $15K ...a better guess would be around $10K for the back and another $5k for the 907 .
    Did Hassy eventually drop the price on the original CFV? When I looked at them while they were still in production, they were $10k.

My guess is $7k for the back, $3k for the body, and another $3k if you want to add the grip and optical finder.

Post Thanks / Like

This baby will fit great for my 501CM, 553ELX, 500C/M - Love it.
    HOMEPAGE
    INSTAGRAM