The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad CFV ll 50c

JohnBrew

Announcement of this back is the big news, IMO. It has several advances over the old one: battery in body, flip screen and a high resolution LCD.
And the 907x body idea is just terrific.
How about pricing and availability, Hasselblad?

TheDude

I'm so excited about this
Me too. Affordable up-to-date digital back for technical camera.

Introducing also a 907X camera body, thereby rejuvenating the V-system, strongly suggests that a future CFV 100c (back-illuminated) could be a real possibility.

Last edited:

DB5

Will the new cameras be as buggy as their website?

When I just looked at their site all their videos played at once and I couldn't make sense of the one I was trying to watch. Had to shut the site down.

The CFV is the most interesting but I have moved on from V, the lenses on digital are really just not good enough. The X1D 2 at 50MP is not a good sign.

Maybe there will be an H7 but this is really average after a long wait for some kind of sign of life.

edouard

(like I said in the "Hasselblad Teaser and Upcoming Announcement" thread: )
I'm eager to see videos of CFVii-50c focus peaking in action ... btw wouldn't an external EVF be possible on such system ? (likely)

And yes, all this mean that V system is still (almost ;-) alive!
Hope for a larger 54x40mm CFV - whatever mega pixels - is not yet squashed ... (but then it couldn't be fully used with X lenses as they don't cover well such larger image circle? so maybe unlikely ;-( but a future 44x33 higher resolution CFV ~likely)

Last edited:

DSemick

Announcement of this back is the big news, IMO. It has several advances over the old one: battery in body, flip screen and a high resolution LCD.
And the 907x body idea is just terrific.
How about pricing and availability, Hasselblad?
I totally agree John.... I think the CFV II and the 907X is going to be a pretty cool system. Unfortunately, Hasselblad hasn't given its dealer channel any information on specs, pricing or availability. :banghead:

I think the X1D II is an evolutionary update, but the meat of the announcement here is this new platform.

TheDude

there should be a very slow electronic shutter.
Global shutter is apparently not yet technically possible for the 44x33mm format, but rolling shutter readout times are getting shorter. How much rolling shutter will be an issue for the CFV II, will have to be seen.

JimKasson

Global shutter is apparently not yet technically possible for the 44x33mm format, but rolling shutter readout times are getting shorter. How much rolling shutter will be an issue for the CFV II, will have to be seen.
If it still uses the IMX 161, which it probably does, then readout at the sensor level is about 300 msec.

Jim

TheDude

If it still uses the IMX 161, which it probably does, then readout at the sensor level is about 300 msec.

Jim
It is my understanding too that Sony's IMX161 is used.

The original CFV-50c also used the IMX161 but no electronic shutter was ever made available, and I assume, for a good technical reason.

Maybe later versions of the IMX161 have faster processing? (Don't know what precisely is responsible for readout speed.)

sog1927

I was really hoping for more that a "mid-life kicker" (as we say in the supercomputer business) for the X series. I wonder if they're having thermal issues integrating the 100MP sensor in the X form factor? I'm surprised by the lack of a joystick to move the autofocus point - that was pretty high up on most people's list of "stuff I'd like to see in an improved X". I hardly ever use autofocus, so I don't really care.

If the CFV had come out two years ago, I'd have been first in line to buy one. I might still do so, since there are things I can do with the V system (extreme macro, thanks to the lens adapter and the microshutter, and long telephoto lenses like the Apotessar) that aren't supported by the X platform.

I like the idea of the 907. Where's the flash shoe?

The 35-70 looks wonderful - I think I'm going to have to make some adjustments to my lens arsenal.

I really expected an H-series refresh, too.

sog1927

It is my understanding too that Sony's IMX161 is used.

The original CFV-50c also used the IMX161 but no electronic shutter was ever made available, and I assume, for a good technical reason.

Maybe later versions of the IMX161 have faster processing? (Don't know what precisely is responsible for readout speed.)
There was no electronic shutter in the X1D when it was first released - it was added by a firmware update (after Hasselblad said for months that it was "impossible"). Since it looks (from the UI) like the CFV is running the same firmware as the X, I assume it will be available there (with the same 300msec readout constraint).

TheDude

There was no electronic shutter in the X1D when it was first released - it was added by a firmware update (after Hasselblad said for months that it was "impossible"). Since it looks (from the UI) like the CFV is running the same firmware as the X, I assume it will be available there (with the same 300msec readout constraint).
You mean of course the CFV II 50c .

There is no firmware update for the (original) CFV-50c that would add electronic shutter.

DougDolde

Is the 907X going to be any better than the X1D other than for it's nostalgia factor? If so how?

Edit: OK I get it now the 907X is little more than an adapter to join X lenses to the new back

OleBe

I like the idea of the 907. Where's the flash shoe?
If you check the very end of the promo video I think the flash shoe is below the external viewfinder. The 907 + grip and flash shoe is interesting indeed.

X1D II...will pass that one. In my opinion not enough benefits to update my 4116. Still working splendid... :)

JohnBrew

Nick-T has been vindicated!! A little over two years ago he insisted there would be a CFV II. And he was correct, even though Hasselblad was very slow to implement. Wonder where he is now?
Nick-T, if you’re still around step up and take a bow.

DougDolde

So which will be cheaper the new X1D II or buying the back and 907x ?

I'm not sure I see the advantage over the X1D though if you're still going to use the X lenses