The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad CFV II 50c + 907X + XCD lenses = autofocus?

onasj

To me, the most intriguing line in today's Hasselblad press release is this one:
"The CFV II 50C digital back can be paired with most Hasselblad V System cameras made from 1957 and onwards in addition to technical cameras, making it easy to combine analog and digital shooting. When combined with the 907X camera body, the photographer gains access to the entire XCD Lens range, providing autofocus and autoexposure."

That statement is pretty clear, and indicates that CFV II 50c + 907X + XCD lenses = an autofocusing 44x33 mm 50 MP FSI system that's very compact and has superb lenses.

In other words, if accurate, the 907X isn't simply a small metal frame (like the Alpa TC; for the record, I love my TC!), but actually communicates information about focusing (and aperture?) to the XCD lenses.

Is this correct?

Boinger

I don't see how it could not.

All the XCD lenses are fully electronic, no aperture no MF clutch. It would be impossible to use on the 907x if there wasn't electronics associated with it.

Last edited:

JeRuFo

I think the combination is like a chopped up X1D. You probably always will need dedicated backs to have them work on the camera.

onasj

Freeze framing my way through Hassy's video showing the 907X reveals that the 907X's lens mount indeed has a row of electronic contacts at the bottom, so this is good news :)

Now I wish even more that Hassy would have put the 100 MP or 150 MP BSI sensors into their newly announced products!

Screen Shot 2019-06-19 at 3.57.05 PM.jpg

algrove

Funny, but that 907X could just as well be an Alpa TC or better yet an Alpa STC.

Soory I just finished reading your full initial post on this thread. You took the Alpa words right out of my mount.

MrSmith

So that was an official line re the tech cams?
I wonder if that is just electronic shutter or you can cable/trigger copal shutters?

Abstraction

I wonder if that is just electronic shutter or you can cable/trigger copal shutters?
Where would you put the copal shutter with XCD lenses without affecting AF and the flange distance? Besides, the XCD lenses have a built in shutter

MrSmith

Where would you put the copal shutter with XCD lenses without affecting AF and the flange distance? Besides, the XCD lenses have a built in shutter
I was referring to using the back on a tech cam/Actus. And if there was an electronic shutter (that worked fast enough to not have any issues with some slow movement) or the ability to work with a copal shutter like the older phase one backs and their wake-up cable etc.
And I presume some kind of sync for the strobes.

tcdeveau

I was referring to using the back on a tech cam/Actus. And if there was an electronic shutter (that worked fast enough to not have any issues with some slow movement) or the ability to work with a copal shutter like the older phase one backs and their wake-up cable etc.
And I presume some kind of sync for the strobes.
Remains to be seen I think.

I haven’t seen any official info on e-shutter or flash sync port for copal shutters, maybe someone else has?

I thought I read in the marketing materials it’s suitable for view and tech cam use, so I would assume it has to have e-shutter, flash sync, or both.

CAMBOUSA

Consider this unofficially official (I know...I know), but my contacts have told me that both this CFV II 50c and the X1D II have the same sensor capabilities as the previous X1D, which I was told specifically meant the same e-shutter.

I've asked about direct mounting to a WRS camera, Actus DB, or even mounting to an Actus-XCD with the appropriate Hasselblad solution. No word yet from Cambo HQ, but I am sure something is in the works. As it stands right now Actus DB and WRS cameras should work fine with the existing V-mount plate.

Photon42

I would say it makes a lot of sense also on V-cameras.

Best regards
Erik
With my Mark I back, I need to first open all the gates - B/F mode on the lens, mirror up on the camera body, press LV on the back. Tripod only - at best, because the Live View mode on the Mark I is difficult or impossible to use in bright environments with relatively open aperture. The latter is of course solvable and certainly has been solved for the Mark II back, but the LV toggle isn't exactly a straight forward exercise.