The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Does deleting an XQD file on IQ4-150 also delete the archived SD version?

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I have my SD card set to "Archive" rather than Jpeg. If I delete a file from the screen, does it delete both versions, the XQD and SD? I'm on the road without a computer and want to make more space on the XQD with losing the SD version.
Can I?

(I know I can reformat the XQD card and leave the SD card alone, but then I've effectively lost my back-up.)

Any help appreciated!

Steve Hendrix

I have my SD card set to "Archive" rather than Jpeg. If I delete a file from the screen, does it delete both versions, the XQD and SD? I'm on the road without a computer and want to make more space on the XQD with losing the SD version.
Can I?

(I know I can reformat the XQD card and leave the SD card alone, but then I've effectively lost my back-up.)

Any help appreciated!

I have edited my previous post, so please disregard that. Deleting an image from the XQD card does not currently delete any file from the SD card with SD set as backup.

Sorry for the confusion.

Steve Hendrix/CI

Last edited:

Steve Hendrix

Steve
Is it true that feature is to be coming to us in the future though?

If you mean the ability to have the SD card deletion mimic the action of deleting a file from the XQD card, unknown. There are changes coming to the SD card functionality, where it will now optionally be able to shoot as the primary (or only) storage media. But the option to change the behavior of deleted files from the primary card and have it also mimc that behavior on the backup is I don't think yet in sight, if that is what you mean. And further down the road - Brad and I talked through this - it is not a simple on or off, it is a behavior, but a behavior that could be linked to numerous choices (delete image, rate image, apply style to image, etc. so I can see the challenge of creating a simple and not cumbersome set of options for in camera behavior. I guess we'll see.

What is interesting is that as Phase one has added more capability and functionality into their digital backs with the IQ4 series, there is much more required consideration over what sort of default behaviors to have in play, what sort of options to have to choose from as alternatives to the default, etc. Many of these do not have right or wrong behaviors that will be obvious to everyone. So optional behavior then becomes more critical, but this does add some complexity to a user interface, and it's a fine line between user friendly and user un-friendly, as we've seen with many digital capture devices.

Steve Hendrix/CI

Paul2660

Glad to see P1 is going to eventually allow the SD as primary and be the only card in the camera.

Paul C