The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leaf donor

photomassimo

Hi Guys i have a leaf Aptus II 12 80 and i need to change the firewire board. To have it fix by phase doesn't make sense($3500) so i was wondering if anyone knows which other leaf back has a similar board(i was thinking the Aptus II 8 but i am not sure).
Thank you
Massimo

earburner

If your have problems with the board, you might want to consider reflow'ing the solder. This is where you use a heat gun and a laser thermometer to heat the board to 230c for no more than 90sec this can fix dodgy connections. Only do this if its a single sided board the right way up. if you add a photo of the board i can tell you if its ok to do :D Physical sockets always end up with bad solder connections due to physical shearing and twisting :)

photomassimo

If your have problems with the board, you might want to consider reflow'ing the solder. This is where you use a heat gun and a laser thermometer to heat the board to 230c for no more than 90sec this can fix dodgy connections. Only do this if its a single sided board the right way up. if you add a photo of the board i can tell you if its ok to do :D Physical sockets always end up with bad solder connections due to physical shearing and twisting :)
Here it is, thank you.IMG_0011.jpgIMG_0012.jpg

photomassimo

I'd pay to have it fixed. Kinda like trying to be your own surgeon
Problem is that financially it doesn’t make sense at 3500 for a back that is worth maybe 5500 and they are the only one that can do it, there’s no replacement parts or circuit blue prints around to have someone else do it.

Problem is that financially it doesn’t make sense at 3500 for a back that is worth maybe 5500 and they are the only one that can do it, there’s no replacement parts or circuit blue prints around to have someone else do it.
I'll crack my Aptus 75 open tomorrow evening and let you know what I find. I'd be a little surprised if this part didn't remain consistent throughout the Aptus lines.

earburner

So looking at your photos, you will need to isolate the board from everything and disconnect the ribbon cable (it wont take the heat) so you need to get the board as close as it can be to how it was manufactured, very much looking out for things that don't like the heat. Circuit boards are put together with robots placing the components on the board with a bit of solder paste and then run though a flow oven melting the solder paste. Then they are hand finished adding things that cant be flow soldered (these are the things to look out for) like the ribbon cable. You can concentrate heat around where you think the problem is i.e the firewire socket. I would say be very touchy feely when doing this, warm it up a bit and look out for problems (smoke or burning smell is not a good sign) the laser thermometer is a must for checker around the board for hot spots. I have fix a few things doing this, I first fixed my PS3 there are many youtube videos out there on this. also let it cool down slowly, not moving it for 5 mins :)

Zhong Jian

I have two Leaf Aptus II 12. One for Mamiya and One with V mount.

Let me know what's your back's issue. I experienced before that it seems the issue of fireware 800 board but actually it's issue of Power PC board.