The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Canon TS-E on IQ4150

chbenard

Currently looking at upgrading my digital back (IQ260--->IQ4150) for my XF camera and also considering getting an Alpa 12FPS with a Canon lens panel since I already have the TS-E 17 and 24mm. I work with flash exposures a lot, hence the focal plane shutter option rather than making use of the electronic shutter on a tech camera such as the Cambo WRS. I have seen lots of great results with such system (12FPS/Canon TS-E) with several digital backs including the IQ180 and IQ3100 Trichromatic granting access to unmatched FoV. I understand the corners will not be as sharp as the centre but 150MP should give plenty of room to crop images. So I am wondering: did anyone try shooting the new 150MP bsi sensor with Canon lenses? Feedback, comments and image samples would be highly appreciated. Thanks!

Christophe
www.christophebenard.com

Last edited:

onasj

I assume the lens only covers a 35-mm image circle? If so, you'll have to crop the surrounding black from the images and will get out a <~80 MP rectangular image (depending on how square your rectangular crop is). The good news is that IQ4 sensor is pretty much best-in-class at the moment even on a per-sq-mm basis, so I think you'll be pleased with the results. You could also get an Alpa tilt adapter, an Alpa STC, and then you could use any Alpa SB34 lenses and could cover the entire sensor (I realize this option would add a lot to the cost).

Currently looking at upgrading my digital back (IQ260--->IQ4150) for my XF camera and also considering getting an Alpa 12FPS with a Canon lens panel since I already have the TS-E 17 and 24mm. I work with flash exposures a lot, hence the focal plane shutter option rather than making use of the electronic shutter on a tech camera such as the Cambo WRS. I have seen lots of great results with such system (12FPS/Canon TS-E) with several digital backs including the IQ180 and IQ3100 Trichromatic granting access to unmatched FoV. I understand the corners will not be as sharp as the centre but 150MP should give plenty of room to crop images. So I am wondering: did anyone tried shooting the new 150MP bsi sensor with Canon lenses? Feedback, comments and image samples would be highly appreciated. Thanks!

Christophe
www.christophebenard.com

Christopher

The TSE 24 covers the full sensor. So I expect the same or even better results with the newer TSE. (For example the 50)

chbenard

I assume the lens only covers a 35-mm image circle? If so, you'll have to crop the surrounding black from the images and will get out a <~80 MP rectangular image (depending on how square your rectangular crop is). The good news is that IQ4 sensor is pretty much best-in-class at the moment even on a per-sq-mm basis, so I think you'll be pleased with the results. You could also get an Alpa tilt adapter, an Alpa STC, and then you could use any Alpa SB34 lenses and could cover the entire sensor (I realize this option would add a lot to the cost).
Well I believe that the lens actually covers a full-frame 54x40 sensor. This has been reported many times by full-frame users in the past. I received an image sample from a dealer after posting this and was able to play with the file (Canon TS-E 24mm on IQ4150). As expected the corners are not so sharp but there is plenty of room in the file to crop. After a few tweaks in Capture One I ended up with a sharp image of about 83MP. No LCC was applied and no vignetting is visible in the original RAW file. Pretty impressive!

Yes, cost is definitely a factor considering the DB upgrade. Thanks!

chbenard

The TSE 24 covers the full sensor. So I expect the same or even better results with the newer TSE. (For example the 50)
Agreed. I read somewhere a couple days ago (I forgot to save the page!) that the Canon TS-E couldn't resolve the 150MP. I thought it was BS which is why I wanted to see a sample. I received one today and confirm that the results are indeed very good considering the price of the glass.

drevil

Staff member
i do have the TS-E 17mm and 50mm on my gfx50s, couldnt be more happy, all TS-E lenses cover 645 full frame, but some obviously become smudgy at the edges, the wides more than the normals.
my 50mm is a great performer.
i compared it to my c645 55mm the other day, the canon is much sharper wide open, but stopped down both are on a very high level and very very similar.
the canon fully shifted shows some corner darkness though, but handable.

the 17mm is extremely wide on the GFX sensor and will be even more so on the iq4150 sensor, dont expect usable edges.

lets not forget that TS-E are essentially medium to large format lenses, the image circle is huge

MrSmith

How does the 50 compare to something like a digitar? I have the 24tse (II) and the old 90 which are fine lenses but I feel not quite up to the 60/80/120 digitars. Has there been a significant step up with the new 50? (This would be for use with a Sony and maybe at a later date GFX/XD.
I had the old 45tse and it was a poor performer on anything over 24mp and I tried not to use it for paid jobs.

drevil

Staff member
i never used schneider or rodenstock lenses

as i mentioned i compared to my c645 55mm and stopped down the ts-e 50 was on par

chbenard

i do have the TS-E 17mm and 50mm on my gfx50s, couldnt be more happy, all TS-E lenses cover 645 full frame, but some obviously become smudgy at the edges, the wides more than the normals.
my 50mm is a great performer.
i compared it to my c645 55mm the other day, the canon is much sharper wide open, but stopped down both are on a very high level and very very similar.
the canon fully shifted shows some corner darkness though, but handable.

the 17mm is extremely wide on the GFX sensor and will be even more so on the iq4150 sensor, dont expect usable edges.

lets not forget that TS-E are essentially medium to large format lenses, the image circle is huge

I am not surprised. The GFX is a great option but I am pretty invested in the Phase One system already. The capabilities of the IQ4 are astonishing but I suspect the GFX 100 will sell well.

I completely agree with you: Canon TS-E lenses are outstanding!

Last edited: