The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Frame Averaging Images

Craig Stocks

Absolutely, any brand/make or model are welcome.

And any method of achieving frame averaging.

My only suggestion is that you explain (as jng did) how frame averaging improved the technical or aesthetic quality of the image.

If you’d like to have other off-topic conversations I would politely request you do so on a new or different thread.
My understanding per the original post is that the intent of this thread is to explore the uses and reasons for frame averaging. If that’s not correct please move or delete my post.

pegelli

If other cameras add this kind of feature I encourage others familiar with those cameras to post relevant links/tutorials for those cameras as well.

Absolutely, any brand/make or model are welcome.
And any method of achieving frame averaging.
My only suggestion is that you explain (as jng did) how frame averaging improved the technical or aesthetic quality of the image.
:salute:

Tech cam, IQ4150 frame average, ISO640 2 seconds - 20 second frame average over 10 images, single image processed in CO12 for colour correction.

The ground level lighting on the right side of the image was done entirely by walking leisurely from one side of the wall to the other with an ~800 lumen, 15 degree LED light. Lighting on the left side was existing landscape light.

This was made much easier to do in one image rather than having to work in post, thanks to FA. The workflow was:

- expose for the left side of the image
- recompute the exposure to limit it to 2 seconds, since the IQ4150 limits your max exposure time to 2 seconds for FA
- the 20 seconds was chosen because I figured it would take that long to get across the lawn...and I also wanted to have a bit of room to lift the shadows.

octagone

The cameras Sigma Quattro has a function (FSD) to take a photo, stacking 7 photos with different exposures. Then the Sigma Photo Pro software allows you to combine these 7 photos into one.
Some examples made with this option, with the sigma Dp0 Quattro. Then retouched with Photoshop and Camera Raw.

l.jpgh.jpgi.jpgj.jpgm.jpgn.jpg

Visible in full res 100% on the homepage of my site.
And in the section "Paris, Parc de Saint Cloud".
http://www.noelbilly.eu/
The photos are interpolated to 78.5MP.

Craig Stocks

Taken with a Sony a6000 using the Smooth Reflections app, 64 frames at ISO 100, 1/125th @ f/16. It not only smoothed the waves it also averaged out some people in the water and walking in front of the camera.

Sony’s implementation details are different from P1’s. Focus is disabled while in the app so every time you change framing you have to access the menu to exit, focus, and then restart the app. Also the app keeps track if its own ISO and shutter delay settings so you have to set them while in the app. One plus is that you can enter image review with the usual “Play” button.

I’d really like the averaging function to behave more like a drive mode so that once set it gets out of the way (that applies to Phase One as well as Sony).

Attachments

drunkenspyder

I spent a lot of time playing with AFA this past week at Mono Lake. I enjoy using the tool very much. This first is a 3.5m exposure at 1/250s shutter speed, ISO 50, with the 40-80 S-K BR at f/12, 40mm. Broad daylight at 2pm with bright sun, and only a polarizer. I like how the long duration does not wash out the water color the way a long exposure and ND filter sometimes do:

P0005010 1.jpg

This second is a 30s duration at 1/200s shutter at ISO 50 w/ the Superachromat 350 set at f/8:

P0005034 1.jpg

To me, this is not just about noise reduction, though that is a huge benefit. And with genuine respect to Shashin, printing images 8 feet wide available for viewing up close on a wall at eye level makes NR valuable in all portions of a print.