The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Canon TS-E on X1D?

cerett

Is there an adapter that would effectively allow the Canon 17 and 24mm TS-E to be used on the X1D? Is the image circle large enough?

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I use the techart adapter and 24 TS-E. Works perfectly, subject to ES limitations. The IC is almost large enough for full shifts. Some corner clipping at the extremes.

cerett

I use the techart adapter and 24 TS-E. Works perfectly, subject to ES limitations. The IC is almost large enough for full shifts. Some corner clipping at the extremes.
I assume you are referring to the Techart PRO Autofocus Adapter. Does it reliably transfer all EXIF data to the X1D? Are there any clearance issues with regards to the tilt or shift functions? Have you tried autofocus on other Canon lenses? Thank you.

MGrayson

I assume you are referring to the Techart PRO Autofocus Adapter. Does it reliably transfer all EXIF data to the X1D? Are there any clearance issues with regards to the tilt or shift functions? Have you tried autofocus on other Canon lenses? Thank you.
Yes.
Focal length and aperture, yes. The lens info says HC80.
Not with shift. Haven’t tried tilt. But the adapter is long enough that the lens is well clear of the body.
A few, but why would I use smaller IC lenses on an X1D?

Last edited:

gerald.d

Yes.
No idea. Focal length and aperture, yes.
Not with shift. Haven’t tried tilt. But the adapter is long enough that the lens is well clear of the body.
Not all Canon lenses have small image circles.

As an example, the 85/1.2 very nearly covers FF MFDB.

IIRC, the 40mm pancake covers the entire sensor. There will be more as well I’m sure.

MGrayson

That's true, but a lens designer is not going to be concerned with image quality outside the designed IC. Of course, I tried the 85/1.2, but I have version I, which is not the greatest lens at AF anyway. It produces a unique signature, especially for such a large sensor, but I find the Leica 100/2 already too shallow for portraits when wide open.

Between the Leica S and X1D lenses, Tilt/shift was the only thing missing. I always prefer native lenses when they are available. Adapters are unpredictable, and cameras freeze up. The worst I've had (so far) with the techart has been ignored shutter presses. I sometimes have to press two or three times to get it to make an exposure.

Matt

cerett

Yes.
Focal length and aperture, yes. The lens info says HC80.
Thanks, but why would it say "HC80" if using a Canon lens? Also, may i ask where you purchased yours?

MGrayson

Thanks, but why would it say "HC80" if using a Canon lens? Also, may i ask where you purchased yours?
No idea, but since the 80mm is the typical "kit lens" with the 500 and H-series, perhaps they chose it as the default.

I purchased directly from Techart.

cerett

No idea, but since the 80mm is the typical "kit lens" with the 500 and H-series, perhaps they chose it as the default.

I purchased directly from Techart.
I don't want to belabor the point, but if the adapter reads the exif data properly (as it should), it would detect a Canon lens and the focal length. The adapter is not cheap ($500) and should work properly. What have others experienced?

CAMBOUSA

The other thing to be aware of here is the 85 1.2 and 50 1.2 are both focus by wire, so unless they are attached to a Canon body you are having to focus with your legs.

gerald.d

The other thing to be aware of here is the 85 1.2 and 50 1.2 are both focus by wire, so unless they are attached to a Canon body you are having to focus with your legs.
There are FD mount manual focus versions of these lenses, and I believe a Novoflex adapter that will allow their mounting to the X1D, no?

(/edit - as a general aside, but not relevant to the X1D, it is not true to say that the EF focus by wire lenses can only be focused when attached to a Canon body. There are other options available - such as those from ALPA - that allow their use with digital backs on technical cameras. It’s how I took the photo shared earlier.)

MGrayson

I just shot a few frames with the EOS 85/1.2L v.1 on the X1D with the Techart TCX-01 adapter. AF worked perfectly, if not quickly. I could manually focus, with magnified assist. And set f/stop from the camera. The corners look pretty good. I'm surprised!

The 85/1.2 is not really a walk around lens, but it's definitely unique. I suppose the Sigma 105/1.4 and Canikon 200/2 are more extreme, but not by much!

Matt

gerald.d

I just shot a few frames with the EOS 85/1.2L v.1 on the X1D with the Techart TCX-01 adapter. AF worked perfectly, if not quickly. I could manually focus, with magnified assist. And set f/stop from the camera. The corners look pretty good. I'm surprised!

The 85/1.2 is not really a walk around lens, but it's definitely unique. I suppose the Sigma 105/1.4 and Canikon 200/2 are more extreme, but not by much!

Matt
Great to have an adapter available that can provide the power to these lenses.

Re other options, don’t forget there is the Canon 200/1.8 as well :p

cerett

Matt
That is very nice to know. For me, use of the Canon TS-Es (17 and 24) is most important and worth the price of the adapter. Actually, don't own an X1D, but have preordered the X1DII.

fotophil

The Techart AF Canon EOS Adapters are very clever devices at a rather high price. Kipon and Fotodiox are also offerikng similar adapters for the Fuji GFX and now that the new X1D II is available, these folks will probably support it. Most of the adapters have some means of firmware upgrades. It is important to realize that these devices are reverse engineered so please do not expect "perfect" performance for all Canon Lenses. In general the AF is slower than that Canon AF speeds and sometimes the EXIF data is incorrect. This doesn't bother me since I am not interested in AF performance of Canon Lenses on my X1D - I only need control of the Canon Electronic aperture of my TS-E lenses. The price of these adapters may drop as the competition increases - currently the Techart adapter can be purchased for around $425 on E-bay.

MGrayson

does somebody has samples for me- 17mm and 24mm. How is the workflow with this adapter?

best michael
Posted elsewhere, but... X1D, 24 TS-E, f/11, 1/640 sec, ISO 100, 8mm shift? 10mm? Not sure. Handheld. Since the Canon is a manual focus lens, it works exactly the same on the X1D. Set aperture and exposure on camera, focus and shift with lens. Use electronic shutter.

Matt

Last edited:

gmfotografie

thx .... the 24mm on the dslr - fullframe gives us about 17mm on the x1d - is it correct?

will be great if there is an option where i can crop the image in the liveview... mybe with the new version x1d2 and the phocus ipad connection.