The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

CI Take on P1 IQ4 Frame Averaging - Whys and why nots, hows and how nots

Steve Hendrix

Brad Kaye has put together a comprehensive article regarding the pre-beta version of the Phase One IQ4 150 Frame Averaging Tool. This covers some of the troubling sample files, as well as new files created by Brad in evaluating the tool. I hope this is helpful.

https://captureintegration.com/phase-one-iq4-long-awaited-frame-averaging-nearly-available/

Steve Hendrix/CI

Note that some images may have not been "clickable", this has now been corrected.

Steve Hendrix/CI

Christopher

Love your blog post. Really fair and great! Can’t wait to try it myself, but I do hugely appreciate your open communication on all negative aspects as well.

trond

Brad Kaye has put together a comprehensive article regarding the pre-beta version of the Phase One IQ4 150 Frame Averaging Tool. This covers some of the troubling sample files, as well as new files created by Brad in evaluating the tool. I hope this is helpful.

https://captureintegration.com/phase-one-iq4-long-awaited-frame-averaging-nearly-available/

Steve Hendrix/CI
Dear Steve,

Thank you vert much for a really enlightening writeup!

This article answered a whole bunch of questions I had.

Can’t wait to get my hands on this feature next week.

Best regards

Trond

Steve Hendrix

Love your blog post. Really fair and great! Can’t wait to try it myself, but I do hugely appreciate your open communication on all negative aspects as well.

Thanks Christopher.

Before last week I'd never frame averaged a shot in my life. I'd seen that astrophotographers do it, and the idea of capturing a bunch of shots and then in post putting them together to reduce noise held zero interest for me. But now to have a single raw frame from the time of capture that I can actually review the results of in real time - awesome.

I also hope that our article dispelled some of the notion that frame averaging is just for reducing noise at high ISO. We found the improvements at low ISO to be startling. Once you begin even some mild post processing on a low ISO shot, noise begins, but the frame averaged shot with the same post processing does not exhibit the noise that the single frame does. And what really surprised us was the beautiful gradients from the interior shots that Brad Kaye captured compared to the single shot versions.

These results greatly expand the use case for many photographers to take advantage of this tool.

Steve Hendrix/CI

Steve Hendrix

FYI - Brad Kaye told me this morning that we have discovered this:

While the Vibration Delay/Seismometer of the XF is not observed, the delayed Drive Mode (Timer) is enabled and the XF will acknowledge that setting. We have updated the article to reflect this.

Steve Hendrix/CI

Steve Hendrix

Frame Averaging recognition in Capture One browser

One of our clients contacted us with a feature request for an identifier for frame averaged shots in the browser, so they could easily see which shots were frame averaged and which were single capture without having to look at the metadata for each shot.

I imagine there may be at some point a "sort by frame average" command from the sort tool (similar to "sort by sequence" for focus stacking), but this still doesn't address the ability to be able to - at a glance - see which shots in the browser are frame averaged vs single frame.

In the meantime, Brad Kaye has developed a workaround using the Cap[ture One naming tokens that can effectively push an immediately visual recognition factor for frame averaged files in the browser.

Instructions below at the link:

https://captureintegration.com/tech-tip-iq4-frame-averaging-file-organization/

Steve Hendrix/CI