The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Call for Images: HC 100 2.2

dave.gt

Hasselblad images made with the HC 100 2.2, film or digital, are requested for my research into a good portrait lens for the H system. We would like to re-start our work with our Studio INSPIRE! venture.

After diligent searches online, I am still trying to get a grasp on the results of this lens for all kinds of applications, especially environmental portraits and close-ups. I do not need bleeding edge sharpness.

Since I will be somewhat in a separate, parallel universe for at least the entire month of July, I would enjoy seeing your results to keep my mind active.:thumbup:

And maybe somewhere along the line I may be able to rent one from CI for a little while to try the lens, myself.

Many thanks in advance if you can spare the time to post your favorite images.:salute:

Last edited:

P. Chong

for portraits and macro, wouldn't the HC4/120 be a better choice? I have used the lens quite extensively. Excellent lens. Only drawback is that it is rather heavy.

dave.gt

for portraits and macro, wouldn't the HC4/120 be a better choice? I have used the lens quite extensively. Excellent lens. Only drawback is that it is rather heavy.
Yes, thank you, of course you are absolutely correct, that would be better for true macros. I meant to say close-ups. I am looking more for smooth OOF and subject isolation and soft portrait renderings with the occasional close-up images. :)

Heavy is good! Yeah, I know, I'm weird that way.:thumbs:

dave.gt

<bump>

For more discussion, please. There just have to be thousands of images to share with those of us interested in the HC 100 lens!!!!:):):)

dave.gt

Hi Dave,

I *think* these were all shot with the 100/2.2 The goal was not, in general, a flattering look.

https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/interviews/g1930/life-of-man-2013/

Matt
Thanks so much, Matt!! Really cool! Who was the photographer? A quick browse of that article for now will be followed by a detailed study later. These are definitely interesting images and of a style reminiscent of my favorite portrait photographer of famous people, Platon.

https://www.hasselblad.com/stories/platon-history-in-front-of-a-camera/

That said, I would prefer an essay of the American Man to include regular people, nor just the famous, if that makes any sense. But I digress. Great article that I look forward to a bit later.:)

My interest is re-starting our Studio venture and I am looking for the appropriate portrait lens for what I have in mind. It does seem that representative images of both Studio and environmental portraits with the HC 100 are somewhat difficult to find. No idea why.

I do have two other lenses in mind, but I am curious because of the images I have seen in other threads here in this forum.

Thanks again!!!:thumbup:

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Thanks so much, Matt!! Really cool! Who was the photographer? A quick browse of that article for now will be followed by a detailed study later. These are definitely interesting images and of a style reminiscent of my favorite portrait photographer of famous people, Platon.

https://www.hasselblad.com/stories/platon-history-in-front-of-a-camera/

That said, I would prefer an essay of the American Man to include regular people, nor just the famous, if that makes any sense. But I digress. Great article that I look forward to a bit later.:)

My interest is re-starting our Studio venture and I am looking for the appropriate portrait lens for what I have in mind. It does seem that representative images of both Studio and environmental portraits with the HC 100 are somewhat difficult to find. No idea why.

I do have two other lenses in mind, but I am curious because of the images I have seen in other threads here in this forum.

Thanks again!!!:thumbup:
The photographer is Mark Mann. http://markmannphoto.com.

I just checked with him. He said it was a "Hassy100mm/2". I asked if he meant the 110/2 V system lens. "Nope, definitely 100". In any event, he says "The Leica 120 is better".

I'm a bit confused, as there wasn't ever, to my knowledge, a 100/2 Hassy lens.

Matt

dave.gt

The photographer is Mark Mann. Mark Mann Photo.

I just checked with him. He said it was a "Hassy100mm/2". I asked if he meant the 110/2 V system lens. "Nope, definitely 100". In any event, he says "The Leica 120 is better".

I'm a bit confused, as there wasn't ever, to my knowledge, a 100/2 Hassy lens.

Matt
Thanks, Matt!:):):)

Matt, please tell Mark that he is such an inspiration (like you) and I love his work!:thumbup: it does give me some ideas about working more with survivors... those who would like to tell their stories of hope, and inspiration. The last few years doing just that were the most profound for me, ever.

:thumbup:

Last edited:

rmueller

Hi Dave,

might want to check the following thread on the HB digital forum, its all about images shot with the HC 2.2/100
http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.com/index.php?topic=1447.0

I have the lens myself and it is one of my most used lenses. In fact, I traded my old one and got a new one that supports
the shorter, 1/2000 sec exposure time as I use it wide open most of the time. Will post some of my own images when
i'm back home.

Best Regards and Happy 4th July,
Ralf

Hasselblad images made with the HC 100 2.2, film or digital, are requested for my research into a good portrait lens for the H system. We would like to re-start our work with our Studio INSPIRE! venture.

After diligent searches online, I am still trying to get a grasp on the results of this lens for all kinds of applications, especially environmental portraits and close-ups. I do not need bleeding edge sharpness.

Since I will be somewhat in a separate, parallel universe for at least the entire month of July, I would enjoy seeing your results to keep my mind active.:thumbup:

And maybe somewhere along the line I may be able to rent one from CI for a little while to try the lens, myself.

Many thanks in advance if you can spare the time to post your favorite images.:salute:

dave.gt

Hi Dave,

might want to check the following thread on the HB digital forum, its all about images shot with the HC 2.2/100
http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.com/index.php?topic=1447.0

I have the lens myself and it is one of my most used lenses. In fact, I traded my old one and got a new one that supports
the shorter, 1/2000 sec exposure time as I use it wide open most of the time. Will post some of my own images when
i'm back home.

Best Regards and Happy 4th July,
Ralf
Thanks, Ralf!!!

I had no idea there was a newer version. Naturally, like you, wide open is where it's at for me, too!:thumbup:

rmueller

Hi Dave,

ALL HC and HCD lenses are now available in the "orange dot" version with a new shutter that supports 1/2000 sec. exposure time.
This was introduced by HB when the H6D was released. From an optical perspective there is no difference, its "just" a new shutter
that supports the shorter exposure time and in my opinion it makes most sense for the HC 2.2/100. I'm fine with 1/800 sec. for
all of my other HC lenses.

Cheers,
Ralf

Thanks, Ralf!!!

I had no idea there was a newer version. Naturally, like you, wide open is where it's at for me, too!:thumbup: