The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad XCD 21mm f/4 in-depth review

vieri

Ladies and gentlemen, I just published my Hasselblad XCD 21mm f/4 in-depth review, the first of a series of reviews that will examine all Hasselblad XCD lenses I own.

Read on to find out what I thought of the Hasselblad XCD 21mm, the widest native medium format lens available on the market!

https://www.vieribottazzini.com/2019/07/hasselblad-xcd-21mm-f-4-in-depth-review.html

Looking forward to your thoughts and comments. Best regards,

Vieri

Reactions: med

danlindberg

Agree it is an impressive lens and I can see someone buying into the system because of it. It really is that good!

vieri

Agree it is an impressive lens and I can see someone buying into the system because of it. It really is that good!
It sure is, Dan, and personally I am one of those that started considering the X1D because of this lens (and electronic shutter). Best regards,

Vieri

Shashin

I can't speak about the lens sharpness, but your atmosphere is very clear and stable!

SrMphoto

It sure is, Dan, and personally I am one of those that started considering the X1D because of this lens (and electronic shutter). Best regards,

Vieri
Thanks for your blog posts. Why do you care about electronic shutter? Are you using adapters?

Paratom

Thank you for the review!
I also own and like this lens, even though for me it is a tad too wide sometimes. While I can crop I think there would also be room for a 24mm focal length.
Overall I really like the x1d a lo because of its simple user interface but more important because of the compact size/weight and portability.
The x1dii seems to improve exactly the points which are important to me, so I am very tempted to get that (if the speed advantages are big enough).

vieri

I can't speak about the lens sharpness, but your atmosphere is very clear and stable!
:D Well, I went out early morning, when the air is at its cleanest (and when it's not too hot around!)

Thanks for your blog posts. Why do you care about electronic shutter? Are you using adapters?
Thank you very much. Yes, I do use adapted lenses, i.e. the Voigtlander 15mm (which works great), some Leica M / R lenses too. For landscapes and using long exposures, there is no problem at all with ES (banding, flickering and so on), so it's a great option to have to expand the native lineup.

Thank you for the review!
I also own and like this lens, even though for me it is a tad too wide sometimes. While I can crop I think there would also be room for a 24mm focal length.
Overall I really like the x1d a lo because of its simple user interface but more important because of the compact size/weight and portability.
The x1dii seems to improve exactly the points which are important to me, so I am very tempted to get that (if the speed advantages are big enough).
You are very welcome, I am glad you enjoyed it :) I definitely see your point, even though personally more than a 24mm (19mm equivalent) I'd rather see something like a 26mm (21mm equivalent). That would give us the equivalent of 17, 21, 24, 35, 50 (not considering the teles) which is a pretty good lineup in the wider-than-normal range :)

Best regards,

Vieri

vieri

To me it was essential that it has ES. I am using it in combination with Alpa and aperture mount only lenses.
For me as well, I love the possibility to adapt non-native lenses when needed. Together with the short flange distance, it opens up a lot of possibilities to get different "looks" in your images :)

Best regards,

Vieri