The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GFX 100 First Reactions

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I must be missing something ? Never would I do a focus test on a subject that is parallel to the camera . Put something on the ground with a big target and with room all around it . Did I miss any discussion of front or rear focusing ? The photographer is always the greatest variable and suspect until proven innocent . Manual focus or AF ....the most frequently encountered problems are the photographer .

The part I have a hard time accepting is that the EVF showed it was in perfect focus and yet the image wasn t . Step One prove your focus accuracy . Shoot wide open and look for the plane of focus . The ideal distance is about 20 feet and you should have a big target to aim at thats easy to verify you have it in focus . would love to see the focus plane .

Step 2 ..camera motion ...turn off IBIS and shoot from a stable tripod ...Eliminate the variables.

Step 3 ..try a different Native lens and skip the stuff about the view camera until you know you have a good camera .

Always try to shoot wide open and at a low ISO so that the plane of focus is identifiable and you have no issues with noise .

I don t doubt for a minute that you have a defective camera but I am responding because I see too many “my camera sucks “posts without a reasonable testing process.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I'm not in any way trying to cast a negative picture regarding B&H. They are the greatest and I support them whenever I can. But it is a known fact (I can't substantiate this but it has been been posted) that B&H is the bottom floor of a much larger trading center above where the real money is made. I've always been impressed with the cleverness and creativeness of the Jewish community and though I don't have any kind of documentation regarding this I'm assuming it's more than factual and applaud it.

Regards......

Victor
I see. Any business or wealthy family has to manage its assets - usually through a “family office” or finance division which is indistinguishable from a trading floor. It is quite common in New York (I have worked with several) and not more prevalent within the Jewish Community. And yes, for some families and businesses the trading arm is the big (or only) moneymaker. I didn’t know that this was considered noteworthy.

Well, back to photography.

Matt

fotophil

The unsubstantiated rumor that I have heard for many years is that the B&H and Adorama Owners are major players in the diamond business. At any rate when B & H opened for business in New York they brought a whole new high level of integrity to the New York City Camera Business. In the old says, camera deals from New York were pretty risky! Today most of the dealers at least try to be honest. Three cheers for B & H!

Steve Hendrix

Steve.... you are such a sly devil;). The B&H boys are busy making zillions of dollars trading above the camera floor and could care less about this photo stuff.....just a hobby for them.

Maybe as my dealer you could point me to the lens firmware files......

Cheers......

Victor

Consider it done (check your email). I also included the simplified step by step instructions I wrote up.

Steve Hendrix/CI

algrove

Lou, PDAF is new, but CDAF is not.
Thanks-but that is obvious. However---

Only mentioned it since Fuji recommends updating all the lenses for use with the GFX100 and Victor admitted he did not know about these FW updates. That's all. I understand Victor's troubles were not with Fuji lenses but instead with tech cam lenses.

JimKasson

Jim will you update your graphs for lens testing for the GFX100?
I’ll do more testing with the GFX 100, particularly AF. I’ll do mor informal tests. I probably won’t redo the LOCA and focus shift tests, since there’s no reason to think anything but absolute sharpness will change. I will do tests aimed at discovering the micro lens size.

Jim

cerett

The unsubstantiated rumor that I have heard for many years is that the B&H and Adorama Owners are major players in the diamond business. At any rate when B & H opened for business in New York they brought a whole new high level of integrity to the New York City Camera Business. In the old says, camera deals from New York were pretty risky! Today most of the dealers at least try to be honest. Three cheers for B & H!
Totally agree. I have been dealing with B&H for over 20+ years. While not always the best source for technical information, I have found their overall honesty and customer service above reproach. Therefore, I could care less about their other source(s) of income.

Christopher

I’ll do more testing with the GFX 100, particularly AF. I’ll do mor informal tests. I probably won’t redo the LOCA and focus shift tests, since there’s no reason to think anything but absolute sharpness will change. I will do tests aimed at discovering the micro lens size.

Jim
I was thinking about focus test and distances. Would love to know what to try with the GfX100.

kimyeesan

I checked for light leakage as I was shifting my 72mm lens 18mm left and right in portrait position and noticed the light anomalies in the shifted images. I have a Lupine LED flashlight that has a beam brighter than the sun:) and shifted left and right with the lens open and couldn't detect any leaks when shining the light all over the bellows.

Victor
Looking at the image, the light haze is on the top part of your image? so the leak will be coming in from the bottom of your bellow. Even if you don't use the GFX100 anymore, I think it's safe to have that bellow check out at seams and connection to the magnetic plate.

ErikKaffehr

DPR test images are updated now and they are great!

Hi,

The DPR test images are updated now and they are just great!

Best regards
Erik

We shouldn’t actually get conclusion to fast. We all know the DPReview images are faulty, they even admitted to that...

Let’s see what’s going on.

SrMphoto

Re: DPR test images are updated now and they are great!

Hi,

The DPR test images are updated now and they are just great!

Best regards
Erik
Yes, the new ones look better (compared old and new one in LR). Interestingly, DPR labels the new raw files with "CaptureOneSession" instead of "ACR". Since Capture One and ACR use different raw engines, I wonder if we are comparing apples and oranges in DPRs studio scene.

Also, the new raw file has a heavy blue tint, the old one had a correct white balance.

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

I usually download raw images and process in Lightroom.

The way I compare images is essentially that I white balance on the Color Checker and adjust grey scale luminousity to reference data from X-Rite.

In addition, I often build an own DCP profile, using LumaRiver Profile Editor.

The way I compare detail is to open the images in Photoshop and resize to some nominal print size like 40"x60" at 180 PPI. On a 24" 1920x1200 monitor viewed at around 80 cm it gives a realistic presentation of an 180 PPI image viewed at around 50 cm.

In this case, I developed the images in Lightroom, with 'no sharpening' and calculated MTF values from the slanted edges of the DPRStudio Shot. Tyhat gives som quantitative value.

Than, we can of course discuss things value of things measurable, and the advantage of differences you cannot visually observe.

Best regards
Erik

Yes, the new ones look better (compared old and new one in LR). Interestingly, DPR labels the new raw files with "CaptureOneSession" instead of "ACR". Since Capture One and ACR use different raw engines, I wonder if we are comparing apples and oranges in DPRs studio scene.

Also, the new raw file has a heavy blue tint, the old one had a correct white balance.

SrMphoto

Hi Erik,

Thank you for detailing your steps. You are obviously doing the analysis in a very competent way.

Most people are using just the web version of the studio scene to compare image quality between cameras. It is there that I feel the comparison may fall short (different demosaicing engines, different/unknown parameters). Still, DPR should be commended for doing it at all and for providing the original files so that we can do our own analysis.

Best,

- Srdjan

Hi,

I usually download raw images and process in Lightroom.

The way I compare images is essentially that I white balance on the Color Checker and adjust grey scale luminousity to reference data from X-Rite.

In addition, I often build an own DCP profile, using LumaRiver Profile Editor.

The way I compare detail is to open the images in Photoshop and resize to some nominal print size like 40"x60" at 180 PPI. On a 24" 1920x1200 monitor viewed at around 80 cm it gives a realistic presentation of an 180 PPI image viewed at around 50 cm.

In this case, I developed the images in Lightroom, with 'no sharpening' and calculated MTF values from the slanted edges of the DPRStudio Shot. Tyhat gives som quantitative value.

Than, we can of course discuss things value of things measurable, and the advantage of differences you cannot visually observe.

Best regards
Erik