The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Into MF - Questions and Back (IQ140 or p45+)

Enthree

Forget the Firewire USB discussion.

I baught the "broken" IQ140 with the touchscreen bug from mpb for 1.200 bucks, reset the firmware - works. ;):toocool:

LOL

Enthree

Yes, pretty lucky. I was about to leave it there for the time being, before "Dante" would strike, as you guys name it.

So I already tested a bit today and everything seems pretty fine. Two things tho:
1. Capture One 12 won't detect the back via USB tethering. Which lead me to ->
2. When I update to latest firmware, the error comes back. So it might be a software problem still.

You said, you're operating with the IQ140 too, right? Do you have the latest firmware installed? Or do you have an older one, you might share with me? I already contacted p1 for this matter.

Hi,

I installed the latest firmware, both on the XF and the IQ140, I believe it's the one from February 2019. I installed the firmware on both at he same time, with the CameraSystem4.02.7.fwp file from phase one. I put the file on a cf card and updated via the backs' menu system.

Didn't have any issues so far.

Cheers,

Mircea

AndyPtak

echo the comments above about usb vs firewire

yes the P is still a great back, but the tech is old.

To tether in the field, you are going to need an old macbook pro, which has an inbuilt firewire port. Forget trying to find a pc laptop to do this
Not so about the PC laptop. I own three of them.

IQ140, and if you can stretch the budget, XF body — the features available in the new body are leaps better than any of the old Mamiya/Phase bodies. You're investing into a system, and the XF is the way to go, as they are continually updating and improving the camera.

huyu

My God, I’m facing the same situation. I have been thinking about switch to MF last two weeks, and P45+ vs IQ140 are my consideration exactly. I made a decision to hunt on the Iq140 before I get here, still, reading all the comments here just make my faith stronger on IQ140, but I’m living in Vietnam so it’s pretty hard to get one. Checking eBay everyday hopefully the miracle will show up lol. But they are all more expensive than the one you got, Enthree. Btw, hope you will solve the problem with the back soon,

Cheers 🍻

huyu

IQ140, and if you can stretch the budget, XF body — the features available in the new body are leaps better than any of the old Mamiya/Phase bodies. You're investing into a system, and the XF is the way to go, as they are continually updating and improving the camera.
Heyyyy glad to see your comment here, I read your blog about the iq140 :) that helped me alot to make decision

Thanksss 🍻

hrfst

All I can say is that the IQ140 is still a great back with nice CCD files and if somebody is interested I have one for sale!?

It's recently serviced by Phase One and still working like a charm.

Cheers,

Walter

huyu

All I can say is that the IQ140 is still a great back with nice CCD files and if somebody is interested I have one for sale!?

It's recently serviced by Phase One and still working like a charm.

Cheers,

Walter
That’s awesome! Can you share more info about the back? Photos/video that show the back in working that would be nice. I’m interested indeed

Cheers

Hi Walter,

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I have a question about the phase one back servicing. I want to send my back for servicing as I believe there is dust underneath the IR filter. However, Phase will give an estimation after the back is there.

Could you help me out, as you have serviced the back recently? I would like to know how much you paid for the labor/servicing, as I am planning to go on holiday and would like to know how I could budget things.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Mircea

hrfst

Hi Walter,

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I have a question about the phase one back servicing. I want to send my back for servicing as I believe there is dust underneath the IR filter. However, Phase will give an estimation after the back is there.

Could you help me out, as you have serviced the back recently? I would like to know how much you paid for the labor/servicing, as I am planning to go on holiday and would like to know how I could budget things.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Mircea
Hi Mircea,

For the service on the IQ140 I had to pay € 565 , but before this back I had a Leaf Aptus 22 and had to replace the IR filter that costed € 1000

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Walter

Hi Walter,

Thank you very much for the fast reply.

I don't believe the filter has to be replaced, at least I hope so. What did the 565 eur include? Cleaning and labour costs? Was the transport included, or was that separate?

I also have the XF viewfinder which would need cleaning and probably a top plate replacement, and hopefully both will fit the 1000 eur budget I had put aside.

Thanks again for helping out!

Cheers, Mircea

Last edited:

Enthree

huyu said:
Hi bro,

I'm in the same situation considering buying P45+ or IQ140 just like you, and I found your thread and read lots of helpful comments there. Glad you got the IQ140. How is going with that? What are you shooting? Could you share some of the file that you shot with the IQ140 ? I've been searching for the sample photos from that but not really much.

Thing is I'm living in Vietnam and there're lots of limitation to buy thing like MFDB

Thank you,
I'm responding to your pm in this thread "huyu", since I think it might be helpful for others too. I know it is quite hard to get around suitable test files, so I uploaded three raw files from my first "test-shooting" from a friend and myself with the "80mm LS" together with final jpg's in full res for you and send them over PM - please use em confidential, and delete them, when you finished testing, before they get lost on your computer, ok?

I'm pretty satisfied with it. Especially since I could almost fix the touchscreen "ghost-touching" issue with the firmware reset and actually use it quite well - I decided to keep it for now and not use the 14-Day warranty. There are some restrains with it, but it's going well enough for me. For example, there is no USB support in the reset firmware, so if I want to use tethering, I have to again update the back and lock the screen/menu entirely.

For what I've seen the p45+ is maybe even a "tint" better in overall image quality, but this is purely subjective since I couldn't test out an actual p45+ back and only have the old 80mm right now. For an even cheaper version I found the Leaf Credo 75 (33mp) a proper contest. Very accurate colors and also sharp "enough". We are talking medium format here of course, so every thing is grumble on a very very high level.

Considering the IQ140 I must admit, since I got it, I developed a new and deeper interest in photography. I was never really happy with any of the file results in digital format of photography, so I never bothered to make any larger arrangements, plan shootings, images and so on, although as an art-director and fine artist I always knew why and how to do it. I'd rather stick with my OMD EM10 m4/3, not carry anything, snapshoting and use things like DxO to convert them into film and proper images for photography and for art stick to the paint.

Until now. What I get is hard restrains one the one hand (ISO, weight), but on the other I get simply the best, sharpest and cleanest file, that makes the effort actually worthwhile. I also found it totally mind-blowing, to be able to crop out large parts of an image and still have a very competitive resolution. Actually - I would even consider are larger MP back like IQ180 or stuff, since I love to do that. Maybe I'm gonna sell it and upgrade to that later on. For now I am planning my first actual shooting.

The step into MF confirmed the thoughts I always had: it is just different.

Hope this helps.

huyu

I'm responding to your pm in this thread "huyu", since I think it might be helpful for others too. I know it is quite hard to get around suitable test files, so I uploaded three raw files from my first "test-shooting" from a friend and myself with the "80mm LS" together with final jpg's in full res for you and send them over PM - please use em confidential, and delete them, when you finished testing, before they get lost on your computer, ok?

I'm pretty satisfied with it. Especially since I could almost fix the touchscreen "ghost-touching" issue with the firmware reset and actually use it quite well - I decided to keep it for now and not use the 14-Day warranty. There are some restrains with it, but it's going well enough for me. For example, there is no USB support in the reset firmware, so if I want to use tethering, I have to again update the back and lock the screen/menu entirely.

For what I've seen the p45+ is maybe even a "tint" better in overall image quality, but this is purely subjective since I couldn't test out an actual p45+ back and only have the old 80mm right now. For an even cheaper version I found the Leaf Credo 75 (33mp) a proper contest. Very accurate colors and also sharp "enough". We are talking medium format here of course, so every thing is grumble on a very very high level.

Considering the IQ140 I must admit, since I got it, I developed a new and deeper interest in photography. I was never really happy with any of the file results in digital format of photography, so I never bothered to make any larger arrangements, plan shootings, images and so on, although as an art-director and fine artist I always knew why and how to do it. I'd rather stick with my OMD EM10 m4/3, not carry anything, snapshoting and use things like DxO to convert them into film and proper images for photography and for art stick to the paint.

Until now. What I get is hard restrains one the one hand (ISO, weight), but on the other I get simply the best, sharpest and cleanest file, that makes the effort actually worthwhile. I also found it totally mind-blowing, to be able to crop out large parts of an image and still have a very competitive resolution. Actually - I would even consider are larger MP back like IQ180 or stuff, since I love to do that. Maybe I'm gonna sell it and upgrade to that later on. For now I am planning my first actual shooting.

The step into MF confirmed the thoughts I always had: it is just different.

Hope this helps.
Thank you so much for taking your time sharing your experiences and the files, of course (for sure I will keep it confidential). I think for now I will keep saving to get the certificated pre-owned from CI, not those from eBay. Or maybe keep saving up til I can get the IQ180 :clap:
I'm using the Canon 5DsR + A7R3, those are Megapixel all about but I'm still not happy with their files. The show must go on haha
:lecture: