The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

the new version of fuji cameras gfx/r 50 II

msadat

After playing a bit with the gfx 100, I am so excited to see what Fujifilm will roll out next. The current gfx100 technology will surely roll down to the gfx/r 50!! Blurring the line even more between medium format and hi-rez 35mm cameras!. Imagine shooting with builtin ibis and 10~12 frames a second with a 50 meg camera and focus like x-t3!

Christopher

Sorry but won’t happen. There will not be another camera with the ancient 50MP sensor and there won’t be a modern 50MP sensor. We will see a 100MP s Version or even r version, but nothing you hope for.

ejpeiker

After playing a bit with the gfx 100, I am so excited to see what Fujifilm will roll out next. The current gfx100 technology will surely roll down to the gfx/r 50!! Blurring the line even more between medium format and hi-rez 35mm cameras!. Imagine shooting with builtin ibis and 10~12 frames a second with a 50 meg camera and focus like x-t3!
Since there is no 50mp sensor other than the one already in use and such a sensor is not on anybody's roadmap, it's unlikely to see something like that. You would need a sensor that has phase detect AF on it, drastically faster read-out capability, 16 bit output channel and A/D converters, etc which the 50mp sensor does not have. Sure they could put out a new body with the same now very old sensor but you would not be able to build in the main new things that the GFX-100 has to offer.

msadat

i guess these guys are on the know!

i don't think Fuji can limit their medium format line just to 100 meg cameras and limit their market, so smething will be rolled out in the 50~60 meg range.

Just wondering how you can be so sure. I mean, we can speculate...

Boinger

i guess these guys are on the know!

i don't think Fuji can limit their medium format line just to 100 meg cameras and limit their market, so smething will be rolled out in the 50~60 meg range.
Nope, FF sensors are already at 45MP it wouldn't be enough of a differentiator. Plus unless there is a new sensor coming from somewhere else the only MF 44x33 sensor available is either the 50 MP or the 100 MP

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Well, if the Leica S3 rumors are correct, SOMEONE is making a 60-70MP sensor in 30x45, so it's not impossible.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Well, if the Leica S3 rumors are correct, SOMEONE is making a 60-70MP sensor in 30x45, so it's not impossible.
Nice to see someone other than Sony producing MF sensors. If the Leica S was not 3:2 I'd probably have bought one long ago because the Leica lenses are simply superb.

hcubell

I expect Fuji to release new “inexpensive” GFX bodies to be updates of the GFX 50S/R with the same Sony 100mp sensor as the one in the GFX 100, but without ibis. When? The earlier of photokina in May, 2020, or the release of a Hasselblad X2D with that sensor.
As noted, Fuji has done what it can with the old Sony 50 mp cropped MF sensor. Not much room to grow the platform with that sensor.

JimKasson

Just wondering how you can be so sure. I mean, we can speculate...
My assumption is that Fuji is not going to go for a bespoke sensor instead of an IMX one, based on their volumes. If they stay with Sony, they are stuck with sensors on the IMX roadmap. They could go away from Sony, but I am unaware of any 33x44 mm standard sensor that's not Sony. If they do go with a bespoke sensor, then to keep up with the current state of the art, they have to find someone who can build a BSI 33x44 mm sensor in quantity. I know of noone other than Sony who has done that.

Jim

hcubell

I doubt either Fuji or Hasselblad would have much appetite for staking the future success of their medium format platform on a new, custom sensor from someone other than Sony. Way too risky. And probably not cost effective.

Christopher

Actually I do think they are looking at other manufacturers. My guess is however, it will be Samsung and not till after the next Sony generation in 5/6 years.

msadat

a 100 meg handholdable camera with ibis might work for phase one customers but not for the fuji crowd. if there is no 50 meg chip, i wonder if they have contacted sony or Samsung for a 70 meg chip or something.

Christopher

Actually you don’t need IBIS for 100Mp... however, as I have said before I don’t think we’re will be a camera below 100Mp for the next 2-3 years from Fuji if at all.

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

If Fujifilm continues with Sony sensors, a new low MP sensor is not in the roadmaps. Also, I doubt that Sony would embark on developing a new sensor for MFD having lower pixel count than present 100 MP sensor. MFD is a small market, so development cost (NRE) needs to be payed off on a low volume.

The present 100 MP sensor will probably go down in price.

In all probability, IBIS needs a certain size of body. Probably needing a larger size body than the 50R/S.

So, no I don't think that we will see that happen.

Could be possible to use a sensor from some other vendor, like TowerJazz, but such a sensor is not seen in the wild yet and I also would guess the Fujifilm stays with Sony as a sensor maker.

Best regards
Erik

Best regards
Erik