The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Back on Line

gurtch

Hello all: I am posting this on three forums: Sony Forum, Medium Format Forum and Fuji Forum, as I visit and post to all three. I have been off line for quite a while. We use our spare bedroom as my "office" where I do all my photo editing and printing. My tower style PC sits next to a window. We live on a barrier island off the coast of southern NJ. When it rains here, we often get flooding, and the rains comes sideways because of the high winds. Several weeks ago I forgot to close the bedroom window and it rained in, soaking the back of my PC. I finally got it back yesterday....it seems it only needed a new power supply. I had three small USB 3.0 external drives on the table next to the PC which also got wet, but fortunately they still work (that is where I keep my photo files). When my PC repair guy returned my PC he said Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, will not be supported any longer, and I will probably have to migrate to Windows 10, sooner or later. This scares me: I have Photoshop CS6, and hundreds of dollars invested in Plug Ins, Actions, and filters, as well as a ton of stand alone graphics programs, all compatible with Windows 7. Also, most were down loaded, so I have no discs, only pass words and keys, which I would have to scrounge around to find them. Also my web site on my PC now is giving me grief, I need to figure that out. Today I am getting two USB 3.0 1 Terabyte external drives with the goal of weekly backing up my two internal drives: C:\ and D:\. I certainly missed you folks!
Dave Gurtcheff
Beach Haven, NJ USA
MODERN PICTORIALS

Boinger

Hello all: I am posting this on three forums: Sony Forum, Medium Format Forum and Fuji Forum, as I visit and post to all three. I have been off line for quite a while. We use our spare bedroom as my "office" where I do all my photo editing and printing. My tower style PC sits next to a window. We live on a barrier island off the coast of southern NJ. When it rains here, we often get flooding, and the rains comes sideways because of the high winds. Several weeks ago I forgot to close the bedroom window and it rained in, soaking the back of my PC. I finally got it back yesterday....it seems it only needed a new power supply. I had three small USB 3.0 external drives on the table next to the PC which also got wet, but fortunately they still work (that is where I keep my photo files). When my PC repair guy returned my PC he said Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, will not be supported any longer, and I will probably have to migrate to Windows 10, sooner or later. This scares me: I have Photoshop CS6, and hundreds of dollars invested in Plug Ins, Actions, and filters, as well as a ton of stand alone graphics programs, all compatible with Windows 7. Also, most were down loaded, so I have no discs, only pass words and keys, which I would have to scrounge around to find them. Also my web site on my PC now is giving me grief, I need to figure that out. Today I am getting two USB 3.0 1 Terabyte external drives with the goal of weekly backing up my two internal drives: C:\ and D:\. I certainly missed you folks!
Dave Gurtcheff
Beach Haven, NJ USA
MODERN PICTORIALS
So I am very good with computers, if you are running fine with windows 7 and don't want to upgrade you do not have to.

When the tech said it is not supported he means microsoft is discontinuing updates for windows 7 and thus it can be vulnerable to security issues. That is the main concern when they say "not supported". Additionally there will probably be no more driver updates for windows 7 and if you buy new hardware that likely will not come with drivers for windows 7.

Having said all that Windows 10 is a far superior operating system compared to 7. I don't know how old your hardware is so speed might be something to look into.
I also don't foresee there being a problem with running any of your photoshop / ps plugins on win10. If it worked in 7 it will likely work in 10. A simple thing to do could be to go to each plugin's website and check if they still work in win 10. As they run in photoshop it will have more to do with photoshop than the os. Photoshop plugins / filters do not really need OS support per say since they are programmed in a adobe like script.

One of the alternate options you have is you can Dual boot win 10.

So leave your win 7 install intact then install Windows 10 on a separate drive. That way you have both os's running and you can test if everything works properly without committing to the upgrade. That would be the route I would take.

Also with win 10 pro. You can run a Windows 7 virtual machine inside the OS in case there are only a few items that don't work properly in win 10. So you can quickly jump in to the VM to use what you need to then jump back out to win 10 without having to reboot.

My .02 cents hope it helps!

JohnBrew

Hi Dave, I feel your pain as I am in the exact same situation.
So I bought a MacBookPro thinking this would future proof me for a while. Oh so wrong!
I suppose I will have to buy a new PC to straighten this out. But I’m good with that! If that is all it takes, well sign me on. As always, wondering how much stuff will transfer without being deleted, modified or simply lost.
Damn, I absolutely detest when this happens. And, frankly, it has happened too often.
The software companies have us by the balls and we need to figure out a program which will say f*** you to the establishment as it exists today. They haven’t been all that helpful. It really makes me wonder what they are up to.

dave.gt

Hi, Dave,

Been wondering where you were!:)

Glad to see you back. How is your small roller bag working for you?

I loved your solution, now I am saving up for a Medium ICU myself!:thumbup:

Boinger

Hi Dave, I feel your pain as I am in the exact same situation.
So I bought a MacBookPro thinking this would future proof me for a while. Oh so wrong!
I suppose I will have to buy a new PC to straighten this out. But I’m good with that! If that is all it takes, well sign me on. As always, wondering how much stuff will transfer without being deleted, modified or simply lost.
Damn, I absolutely detest when this happens. And, frankly, it has happened too often.
The software companies have us by the balls and we need to figure out a program which will say f*** you to the establishment as it exists today. They haven’t been all that helpful. It really makes me wonder what they are up to.
gimp + linux = free

gurtch

Hi, Dave,

Been wondering where you were!:)

Glad to see you back. How is your small roller bag working for you?

I loved your solution, now I am saving up for a Medium ICU myself!:thumbup:
The small roller bag with the insert works beautifully!!
Thanks
Dave

gurtch

Several people said I would need a rather fast machine to migrate to Windows 10. I have a Puget Systems PC made in May 2011. It has:

Intel Core i5 2500K Quad Core 3.3GHz 95W processor
16MB Kingston DDR3 RAM
XFX RadeonHD 5750 1GB Video Card
Antec TruePower 650W power supply
Two hard drives: 500MB for operating system and programs, 1 TB for files
Give that it is now 8 years old, by computer standards, it is probably rather old, but performs everything I need well.
Thanks again
Dave

dj may

Several people said I would need a rather fast machine to migrate to Windows 10. I have a Puget Systems PC made in May 2011. It has:

16MB Kingston DDR3 RAM
Give that it is now 8 years old, by computer standards, it is probably rather old, but performs everything I need well.
Thanks again
Dave
Do you mean 16gb RAM? If so, if you can add another 16gb it should work okay.

Boinger

16MB Kingston DDR3 RAM
Thanks again
Dave
Those are pretty old specs. I would think it will have trouble with newer softwares. But like I said I would do a dual boot installation of win 10 / win 7 at the same time, and then you can test before committing to the upgrade.

gurtch

I am now also using a GFX 50R with large files, and my PC is slow and is now often hanging up ("Photoshop is not responding"). If I were to migrate to a new faster PC, I am not aware how I would migrate my web site over to it. I built and maintain my site using Microsoft Expressions. I am not aware as to how I would change my web site and files from one PC to another. I really do not know where the web site and files are stored on my PC. It seems it may store the files "somewhere" page by page. Any suggestions? I would call my PC repair guy, but I do not know if he is aware how web pages work (neither do I). My site is here:
MODERN PICTORIALS

Thanks in advance
Dave in NJ (82 year old retired Amateur Photographer)

Boinger

I am now also using a GFX 50R with large files, and my PC is slow and is now often hanging up ("Photoshop is not responding"). If I were to migrate to a new faster PC, I am not aware how I would migrate my web site over to it. I built and maintain my site using Microsoft Expressions. I am not aware as to how I would change my web site and files from one PC to another. I really do not know where the web site and files are stored on my PC. It seems it may store the files "somewhere" page by page. Any suggestions? I would call my PC repair guy, but I do not know if he is aware how web pages work (neither do I). My site is here:
MODERN PICTORIALS

Thanks in advance
Dave in NJ (82 year old retired Amateur Photographer)
https://windowsreport.com/download-microsoft-expression-studio-windows-10/

Should work in Windows 10