The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lumariver DoF some questions

spassig

Hello

I installed this App on my iPad.
The setting is for Phase One XF/IQ3 50 MP.
I think if the focus is 135 m I have depth of sharpness from 66.9 m to infinite.
Is that right?
But some questions.

What means the abs/ rel in the left above corner when click on it?
What means the green and red lines in diagram? Some intermittent.
What means the info in below like hyperfocal @f11I:132m I 66.1m - ∞

I doesn’t find an explanation in help.
Thanks for feedback.

Jochen

CFB37353-BF8A-420D-9C80-38770673B6B3.jpg

pegelli

I think if the focus is 135 m I have depth of sharpness from 66.9 m to infinite.
Is that right?
But some questions.

What means the abs/ rel in the left above corner when click on it?
What means the green and red lines in diagram? Some intermittent.
What means the info in below like hyperfocal @f11I:132m I 66.1m - ∞

I think the answer to your first question is yes, that's what I think the screenshot shows.

Don't know about "abs/rel", I don't use this tool

The red line is where the focus is, the green line is the nearest point of the depth of focus

The intermittent lines show the same for the "hyperfocal" distances.

The hyperfocal distance is where you need to focus to have infinity just within the depth of focus. This means that at f11 and focus at 132 meter your depth of focus is from 66.1 meter exactly until infinity. Focus futher away (in your example 135 meter) your near point gets a bit further (from 66.1 to 66.9 meter) and you're still sharp "beyond" infinity (which of course doesn't exist, so still sharp until infinity)

Hope this helps.

spassig

I think the answer to your first question is yes, that's what I think the screenshot shows.

Don't know about "abs/rel", I don't use this tool

The red line is where the focus is, the green line is the nearest point of the depth of focus

The intermittent lines show the same for the "hyperfocal" distances.

The hyperfocal distance is where you need to focus to have infinity just within the depth of focus. This means that at f11 and focus at 132 meter your depth of focus is from 66.1 meter exactly until infinity. Focus futher away (in your example 135 meter) your near point gets a bit further (from 66.1 to 66.9 meter) and you're still sharp "beyond" infinity (which of course doesn't exist, so still sharp until infinity)

Hope this helps.
Thanks for Your help.
Now it’s clear.

Jochen

dchew

Abs shows distance from the sensor plane. Rel shows the distance from the plane of focus, in front and behind.

Dave

dchew

Also, Anders places the hyperfocal distance there at the bottom in all cases so you always have that as a reference for whatever you are trying to accomplish.

I love this app. So well thought out.

Dave

Last edited:

dchew

@Dave
Thanks

That’s clear.

That’s unclear.
My English not so good.
There is a difference of 1.5m between abs and rel, see screenshot.
That’s just a coincidence based on the focus point you entered. At f/11 and a plane of focus at 135m, DoF extends 68.4m in front of 135m, which is 66.9m in front of the camera. You can check by adding 68.4 + 66.9 = 135.5. The App rounds that to 135m.

Behind the plane of focus your DoF is beyond infinity. It might be more obvious if you try entering a lower aperture or a closer focus point. Then you would see how abs/rel change both in front and behind the plane of focus, using the camera as a reference (abs) or the plane of focus as a reference (rel).

Dave