The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya 28mm AF on P30+

Henry Goh

I think it will yield a FOV equivalent to 22 or 23mm on 35mm format. My question is will using P30+ cropped sensor give me better edge sharpness since I'm won't be using the lens right up to the corners? I've just gotten a very nice deal for P30+ and decided to re-look at this back. Thanks

Clawery

Henry,

Since the P30+ does crop a bit more than a P25+,P45+ or P65+ you will be shooting with the sweeter part of the Mamiya 28mm lens. There are other photographers on this forum that I'm sure will tell you the same.

Chris Lawery (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Yes C1 just came out with the corner fix for the 28mm lens also and with that and a P30 plus you should get right to the corners being sharp. I agree with Chris certainly will be hitting the sweet spot. I think it would be like a 23 or 24

Henry Goh

Wow! That is wonderful news. Tomorrow I'm going to demo a refurbished P30+. I believe Phaseone has stopped selling refurbished non-plus units so I'll probably be the first few to get hold of refurbished plus units in my area.

Thanks for confirming this for me.

Henry Goh

Oh one more thing ...

I know with the microlenses on P30+, one cannot use on tilted planes. What about using it on an Alpa camera with say 23HR lens? Any issues with shifts?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Yes the P30 plus is really not meant for shifting and technical cameras because of the micro lenses involved it can create a color shift . For tech cameras you are better off with a P25 plus, 45 and 65. Myself i am selling my P25 plus to move to a P30 plus for the work I do I need the extra ISO stop and slightly faster shooting speed. Sorry I know that was the bad news on the P30 plus.

Henry Goh

I may have to also take a look at the P45+ tomorrow. P25+ will give me some moire problems when I shoot fabrics so I'm avoiding that one.

Henry Goh

Really? I was under the impression that moire was quite common with P25+. I'll have to get some captures done with it also then. Thanks for the guidance Guy.

Last edited:

Don Libby

I used to use a combination of a P30+ and 28mm lens and got stunning landscape images. The sole reason for me switching to the P45+ was moving to the Cambo RS 1000 - a move I have never regretted.

I still have the 28 and use it occasionally with the P45+ with good results.

Get the P30 if you have no immediate plans for a technical camera, otherwise think about the P45.

Don

Henry Goh

Thanks Don and Doug. I'll have all 3 plus backs at the demo so I should be able to take away a few CF cards of test shots and spend an evening examining the files. Of hand, I think I would either go for the P30+ or P45+. Although I still have 4 technical cameras, I'm unlikely to use them in future but, who knows...