The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Question for the ALPA owners

jodad

Hi Alpa people (on this forum apparently aka Alpaholics )

Can someone that owns an swa and an stc post a few pictures of them (from different angles) side by side please (pref with film backs not digital if possible??) ?
I would like to see how they compare size wise before thinking about making arrangements to go to a dealer (bit of a trek because they are not close to me at all).

Couldn't find any of these sorts of photos online so would really appreciate some help.

Also, would the request sound better if i instead worded it as "hi everyone, please go ahead and show off your ALPA SWAs and STCs side by side" ? ;))

onasj

I am fortunate to own both the STC and the SWA and from a size perspective, the STC is taller but less wide. A bigger difference is that the STC shifts left or right (plus the equivalent down or up if you rotate your back), while the SWA shifts only up (or left, or right, or down, if you rotate your back).

Another difference is that I consider the SWA to be perhaps the world's most beautiful camera (the Leica M3 being next). The STC is more practical for all sorts of reasons, but an SWA with two rosewood grips and Alpa's quaint-but-beautiful round viewfinder is stunning to me.

Specs:

Alpa STC: 145x140x25 mm, 590 g, 18 mm shift or rise, no tilt without adapter
Alpa SWA: 180x115x45 mm, 640 g, 25 mm rise, no tilt without adapter

Enjoy-- you can't go wrong!

Hi Alpa people (on this forum apparently aka Alpaholics )

Can someone that owns an swa and an stc post a few pictures of them (from different angles) side by side please (pref with film backs not digital if possible??) ?
I would like to see how they compare size wise before thinking about making arrangements to go to a dealer (bit of a trek because they are not close to me at all).

Couldn't find any of these sorts of photos online so would really appreciate some help.

Also, would the request sound better if i instead worded it as "hi everyone, please go ahead and show off your ALPA SWAs and STCs side by side" ? ;))

jodad

Specs:

Alpa STC: 145x140x25 mm, 590 g, 18 mm shift or rise, no tilt without adapter
Alpa SWA: 180x115x45 mm, 640 g, 25 mm rise, no tilt without adapter

Enjoy-- you can't go wrong!

Thank you as well onasj, im hoping someone can post some images as actually seeing the difference would help quite a bit.

dchew

Thanks for the link dchew, i looked at all 15 pages and i didn't see any images showing the two side by side except one and it was a large group shot that showed the swa and 12tc not the stc.
I understand you may want various angles. That post by David Duffin I linked to does have the STC on the right, SWA in the middle and TC on the left.

Wish I could help more but I don’t have the SWA.

Dave

algrove

The Alpa website gives dimensions and images of all products.

It might worthwhile to email Alpa directly to ask for side by side images they might have.

jodad

I understand you may want various angles. That post by David Duffin I linked to does have the STC on the right, SWA in the middle and TC on the left.

Wish I could help more but I don’t have the SWA.

Dave
It is so strange, i cant see the image on my computer however when i open the link on my phone, i can see it! also, the PC opens the thread on a different page to the phone and onto a different post number within the thread. I see the image, that is quite useful, thank you Dave.

jodad

The Alpa website gives dimensions and images of all products.

It might worthwhile to email Alpa directly to ask for side by side images they might have.

Good idea, i never think to ask the actual manufacturers such questions. I guess being a "smallish shop" they wouldn't mind doing that for me :)

algrove

Good idea, i never think to ask the actual manufacturers such questions. I guess being a "smallish shop" they wouldn't mind doing that for me :)
Just paid them a visit 3 weeks ago and they are very genrous with their time for their customers or to-be customers.

Heinz-Peter covers the USA and André Oldani is a principal who answers my questions all the time. When visiting in person they offer a good coffee too.

tcdeveau

As Lou noted, they're super friendly and helpful, I'm sure they'd provide some pictures for you if you asked :)

You could also reach out to Steve or Brad at Capture Integration, they could probably help you out too.

jodad

Just paid them a visit 3 weeks ago and they are very genrous with their time for their customers or to-be customers.

Heinz-Peter covers the USA and André Oldani is a principal who answers my questions all the time. When visiting in person they offer a good coffee too.
I have been thinking about making a trip to one of their dealers but it is a 3 hour trip for me so i hoped this might save me the trip :)

algrove

I have been thinking about making a trip to one of their dealers but it is a 3 hour trip for me so i hoped this might save me the trip :)
Since I have no way of knowing your location I added a direct visit information or direct contact.

Steve Hendrix

Thanks Onasj for the helpful images. I am adding some barebone images to get a grip (I'm so sorry for the pun) on the comparison of the camera sizes all stripped down. Also, know that there is a black grip'd SWA version available as well (in fact, we have this one in our pre-owned inventory at a great price!).

Ultimately to me, the STC always feels like a smaller camera, because it is most often used in a one grip configuration. The SWA does not allow for this (easily). And so the SWA therefore needs the head to move over 90º to shoot with a vertical movement, while the STC - in the one grip configuration - can be rotated 90º on its own and attached to support.

Functionally, if I shot a lot of mixes of horizontal and vertical orientations, I might lean toward the STC. If I was more of a vertical orientation shooter, then I would consider the SWA. Also, note the SWA has 25mm of shift vs 18mm for the STC. Your choice might depend on which digital aback and lenses you own.

I think they're both beautiful cameras, but the SWA does have more of that classic look.

There are also some accessories that help with tripod navigation (clearance).

https://www.digitalback.com/product/alpa-dove-tail-tripod-mount-for-alpa-waswa/
https://www.digitalback.com/product/alpa-stitching-adapter-for-12-stcfps/

_X6A549458.jpg_X6A549155.jpg

Steve Hendrix/CI

Last edited:

danlindberg

The Alpa SWA is easily, in my humble opinion, the most beautiful camera body....ever....

The STC is the smarter choice with more flexibility, but oh my...if you want something that inspires just by holding it - the SWA wins hands down!

It USED to be mine on the photograph above, but sold it in a moment of madness. I regret that dearly. Doesn't matter that my current Alpa 12 Plus is better, smarter, also good looking, the SWA was something very very special!