The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Hasselblad Special Edition!!!

sog1927

I guess I'll have to order one of these as well as a non-special edition CFV: that way I'll have a black one to match my 500 C/M and a chrome one to match the CW.

Godfrey

Does it have a shutter or does one need to use electronic shutter only?
It looks very nice.
Electronic shutter only, like the X1D, if used with adapted lenses from V system or other makes. XCD lenses have shutters built in that the 907x body controls along with providing AF, etc. (V system lenses have shutters too, but the Hasselblad XV Adapter and 907x body aren't designed to take advantage of that. Of course, just put the back on your V system reflex body for them...)

G

Paratom

Electronic shutter only, like the X1D, if used with adapted lenses from V system or other makes. XCD lenses have shutters built in that the 907x body controls along with providing AF, etc. (V system lenses have shutters too, but the Hasselblad XV Adapter and 907x body aren't designed to take advantage of that. Of course, just put the back on your V system reflex body for them...)

G
Thank you. So with xcd lenses the shutter in the lens works? Damn...One reason less to not buy a 907 + cv50ii

M

mjr

It does look lovely, even better seeing the passion from those keen to buy in to it, I wish them all the success with it! For me, if it had a square sensor then it would be excellent but I think I'd be too frustrated with it for shooting portrait orientation, looks like the screen only tilts in 1 axis. I can see the value though with the DB being able to mount on anything with a V mount, very nice. Square sensor with a top down evf you can hold to your eye, now that would be a thing.

Mat

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
The V mount and 907X option make it such a versatile solution. I wish it was a 6x6in sensor but we'll have to dream on for that unfortunately.

drunkenspyder

Could someone of you be so kind and explain to me how a big announcement on a great day (18 July 2019, 50° anniversary of the landing on the Moon) turned out to nothing until December 2019? What did HB celebrate? A post on Instagram and on their web site? :)

I know I know, anticipation is everything today. That's the reason why supermarkets start selling Christmas's stuff in August. Shouldn't HB do the same? :)
My first reaction when I saw the announcement was that an expected December ship date almost assuredly means that it won't ship until next year, well after the 50th anniversary. I am on the fence about whether I want the traditional or the special edition. What I really want is a little bit more of a sensor I suppose. And maybe that damn cable release I've been waiting months for. :( But at any rate, is it weird that B+H only shows the Special Edition on their website?

Godfrey

Well, I want this one much more than I've wanted various other stuff. I've just placed an order with deposit for it. The wait begins.

My Leica M-D typ 262 and Tri-Elmar-M 16-18-21mm f/4 ASPH (with Leica Universal Wide-Angle Finder) is available for sale now... :D

G

hcubell

I pre-ordered one as well :bugeyes:
The Hasselblad Special Edition is so quintessentially cool that, to do it justice, you need a camera case for it that literally glows from the inside when you open it, just like the brief case in the movie Pulp Fiction.

Godfrey

Now that I've placed the order for the 907x Special Edition, I figured a little calculation to figure what a couple of mount adapters, and the lenses I have already might do in terms of field of view choices. The CFV50c II back, like the X1D, has a 33x44mm sensor format. I have four V system lenses (50, 80, 120, and 150 mm), as well as a bevy of Leica M and R lenses ranging from 10mm up to 360mm (with doubler).

This graphic represents the full range of V, M, and R lenses I have to use and what their field of view will be on 33x33 format.

graphic.jpg

Red frame represents a normal lens with 60mm focal length.
Orange frames are my V lenses.
Green frame is the XCD 21mm.
Black and Blue frames are my other M and R lenses.​

Since FF format is 24x36 mm, all should cover with the CFV50c format cropped square to 33x33 mm. How much corner fall-off, etc, will be exhibited by a given lens will depend on the optical match between the lens and the sensor.

I plan to buy the XCD 21mm lens as soon as I can spring for it, and add the XCD 45mm lens soon thereafter, so I'll have my two favorite focal lengths in native Hasselblad X mount.

Yeah, it's probably a silly exercise to do all this, but I gotta do something while the anticipation keeps me sleepless between now and whenever the 907x Special Edition arrives... :D

G

jotloob

Subscriber Member
I have done similar exercises but not written down the results .
One main factor for me is , that I can attach the back to my ALPAs .
I also plan to get the XCD 21mm or the XCD 30mm soon after the CFV II 50 c + 907x (chrome version) have arrived , but my money printing machine refuses work . I can not make up my flipping mind whether to get the 21mm or 30 mm lens .

Godfrey

I also plan to get the XCD 21mm or the XCD 30mm soon after the CFV II 50 c + 907x (chrome version) have arrived , but my money printing machine refuses work . I can not make up my flipping mind whether to get the 21mm or 30 mm lens .
The 21mm is it for me, no question. It produces the same FoV as the Hasselblad SWC on the 907X/CFV50c sensor and has similar imaging qualities. That is perhaps my favorite UW look and feel of all. :)

G

danlindberg

Lens choice is always very personal, but the 21 is something special. It inspires to create. Yes, it is very wide, but the quality all the way to the corners is the 'whole deal'! Spectacular. For me it is a must have.
I am actually completely satisfied with my (only) three lenses, 21+45+90, covers 90% of what I do out in the field.

Godfrey

Lens choice is always very personal, but the 21 is something special. It inspires to create. Yes, it is very wide, but the quality all the way to the corners is the 'whole deal'! Spectacular. For me it is a must have.
I am actually completely satisfied with my (only) three lenses, 21+45+90, covers 90% of what I do out in the field.
I suspect the same will be true for me ... I only very very rarely carry more than one or two lenses at a time.

That said, I have all the lovely lenses to play with, and play with them I shall ... to see what really works best for me. I can't wait to try the Summicron-R 90mm f/2 and Macro-Elmarit-R 60mm f/2.8 on the 907x, never mind the Elmarit-R 19mm, Super-Elmar-R 15mm, and Voigtländer 10mm f/5.6. There's always the odd moment when something gels out of what you experiment with.

G

Last edited:

tcdeveau

FWIW I agree with Dan re: the 21mm. I had both the 21mm and 30mm for a time, and then ended up selling the 30mm as I found I never used it once I received the 21mm. The 21 is something that more inspires me to create whereas the 30 was just another lens slightly wider than the 45mm that was taking up space. Lens choice is of course personal and YMMV, good luck with the decision! They are both great lenses, and my favoritism for the 21 over the 30 had nothing to do with image quality
-Todd

Shashin

I have usually ended up with a three-lens kit. I like having a normal focal length (equal to the diagonal of the format) and then a wide 0.5 to 0.6 times normal and a tele 2.0 times normal. That seem to give me the best working spread.

Godfrey

I have usually ended up with a three-lens kit. I like having a normal focal length (equal to the diagonal of the format) and then a wide 0.5 to 0.6 times normal and a tele 2.0 times normal. That seem to give me the best working spread.
Sounds very similar, although I like the wide to be a bit shorter.

I'm looking to see how well the 907x sensor works with the Leica Macro-Elmarit-R 60mm f/2.8. That will be a near perfect normal if the combination works well together: fast enough, magnification down to 1:2 with no accessories, relatively light and compact, etc. It's one of my favorite and most used R lenses. The Novoflex adapter is already on the way here ... it will likely be the first lens I try when the 907x arrives. :)

G