Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Specs for a new Mac Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Specs for a new Mac Pro

I'm looking to replace my Mac G5 with a 8 Core Nehalem Mac Pro.

I shoot MF and 35mm digital. I use LightRoom 90% of the time with a bit of Raw Developer, and PS3. I don't do a lot of other things like iTunes, etc. I do read the news on the web.

I'm figuring on getting 16 GB of memory from OWC because as diglloyd says it's fairly cheap.

2x 1TB Hitachi hard Drives for files in addition the the standard one from Apple for System and Aplications.
    I don't plan to do any RAID except possibly a Drobo for backup. ( I'm too old for striped scratch discs, etc. Out of my league mentally. )

Does this makes sense?

Should I get the ATI RADEON HD 4870 for an extra $200 or stick with the NVIDIA GeFore GT 120?
    Incidentally, the ATI card is slightly cheaper from the Apple Store than OWC. (I'm sure because they are replacing the NVIDIA.)

I want this system to be simple and last a long time. I'm not very tech savvy.

Thanks for any help.

Best,

Mitchell

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Specs for a new Mac Pro

Hi Mitchell,

If you are not going to be gaming, doing heavy 3-D animation, or much high-res video, I think the basic card will serve you very well.

Cheers,
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nothing like a little Ghost Recon to relax between editing sessions though.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jack,

And the other choices 16GB mem and 8 Core seem reasonable to you?

I marvel at you guys who are good at high tech.

Doug,

I play darts with the artist in the next studio. Away from the computer!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell View Post
    Thanks Jack,

And the other choices 16GB mem and 8 Core seem reasonable to you?
    Frankly, I would do 4x2G of the OWC RAM to start -- combined with 4 of the stock Apple 1G sticks, this gives you 12G RAM total, which is an excellent starting point. Then once the OWC 4G sticks drop to reasonable -- probably only a few months from now -- I would add 4 of them to replace the Apple 1G's for a final total of 24G ram. One thing about the Mac is it does like and utilize RAM... I also think 24 is a good price/performance balance over 32G as there is not currently much performance difference between 24 and 32.

That will likely change with Snow Leopard and CS5 however, as both are likely to better utilize even more RAM, and IMO that will be the time to consider moving up to 32 or going even higher as I expect we'll see 8G sticks dropping to the realm of affordability...

PS: FWIW setting up a RAID-0 on the MacPro is really easy. But unfortunately it seems Hitachi and Samsung drives are more problematic in RAID than Seagate or WD. I would personally recommend WD 1TB Caviar Blacks over the Hitachi for that reason, and I'd get three of them to fill up the remaining bays. If you order the 1TB OS drive from Apple, it will likely be a WD Black -- at leas the one my friend just ordered was.

My .02,
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

Jack,

Thanks so much. Your .02 is worth more than my dollars and saves them too.

Maybe I'll get 2 Caviar Blacks from OWC, and see how fast it is. If it's too slow can I buy another Caviar and set up RAID-0 later?

You can never underestimate my tech savvy.

Best,

Mitchell

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    PS: FWIW setting up a RAID-0 on the MacPro is really easy. But unfortunately it seems Hitachi and Samsung drives are more problematic in RAID than Seagate or WD. I would personally recommend WD 1TB Caviar Blacks over the Hitachi for that reason, and I'd get three of them to fill up the remaining bays. If you order the 1TB OS drive from Apple, it will likely be a WD Black -- at leas the one my friend just ordered was.

My .02,
    Jack:
    Do you happen to know approximately how much of an improvement in performance you would get with a Mac Pro by running two separate high speed drives as the scratch disk for Photoshop rather than a single separate high speed drive? Also, what type of hardware or software would you need to run the pair together?
    Thanks, Howard

Post Thanks / Like

If I can jump in on this, I'm looking at MacPro as well. My question is which of the three processor speeds is the best value?

Thanks for the help

Mike

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Interestingly, the 4-core Mac Pro is actually faster on some benchmarks. If you don't need the 8-core speed with properly multi-threaded apps, or your apps aren't properly multi-threaded, then the 4-core Mac Pro is by far the best bet.

However, some apps can use the processors, and the 8-core Macs also have more room for RAM, so if your needs require lots of RAM, then you might want to spring for the larger Macs.

The fastest Macs are never good value, but if you need the absolute fastest computer you can get, then it is there.
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell View Post
    Maybe I'll get 2 Caviar Blacks from OWC, and see how fast it is. If it's too slow can I buy another Caviar and set up RAID-0 later?
    Yes and yes, and you can even RAID-0 the first two drives initially for improved performance.

HOWEVER, manufacturers do change drive firmware periodically and that can affect performance characteristics that may cause problems in a RAID environment -- thus I recommend purchasing all of the drives you want for a RAID environment at the same time.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hcubell View Post
    Jack:
    Do you happen to know approximately how much of an improvement in performance you would get with a Mac Pro by running two separate high speed drives as the scratch disk for Photoshop rather than a single separate high speed drive? Also, what type of hardware or software would you need to run the pair together?
    Thanks, Howard

Hi Howard:

I ran the benchmark when I did it and here is what I got - note that my benchmark is a CS action using common photo-related tools that will force scratch on any machine, so is designed to test CS4 performance in a real-world situation:

Using a single, fast disk, fastest outer rim partition dedicated to CS4 scratch, my benchmark ran in 1:04. Moving the scratch to a two-drive RAID-0 (or stripe, again on an outer rim partition), the same benchmark dropped to 42 seconds. Then moving to a 4-drive RAID-0 (still using a fast outer rim partition) the time dropped to 29 seconds.

All the software required to do this is in the Leopard operating system, so there is nothing else to buy other than a set of matching drives

Cheers,
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Carsten:

I think it's a good bet future operating systems (read Snow Leopard) and future software (read CS5) will utilize multiple cores very effectively, and thus my reco is to get the 8-core machine.

~~~

Mike,

As for which 8-core machine to buy, I would say that's dependent on your wallet. Speeds will increase in essentially a direct proportion to processor speed, so a 2.66 is going to be roughly 15% faster than the 2.26, and the 2.93 about 10% faster than the 2.66... Note that the slower processors supposedly use a bit less power, so are maybe a little greener.

Cheers,
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Howard:

I ran the benchmark when I did it and here is what I got - note that my benchmark is a CS action using common photo-related tools that will force scratch on any machine, so is designed to test CS4 performance in a real-world situation:

Using a single, fast disk, fastest outer rim partition dedicated to CS4 scratch, my benchmark ran in 1:04. Moving the scratch to a two-drive RAID-0 (or stripe, again on an outer rim partition), the same benchmark dropped to 42 seconds. Then moving to a 4-drive RAID-0 (still using a fast outer rim partition) the time dropped to 29 seconds.

All the software required to do this is in the Leopard operating system, so there is nothing else to buy other than a set of matching drives

Cheers,
    Thanks, Jack. That's an impressive performance enhancement. I have one of the early 2006 Mac Pros. I think it only has 4 bays for hard drives, so I can only run a four drive RAID-0 setup if I use a partition on my startup disk for scratch. I though it was best not to use the startup disk at all as a scratch disk. Am I wrong? (You can tell I am clueless about RAID, so I appreciate the help.)

Post Thanks / Like

Regarding the video card decision, this may help - Ars Technia 2.66 Nehalam Review.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hcubell View Post
    Thanks, Jack. That's an impressive performance enhancement. I have one of the early 2006 Mac Pros. I think it only has 4 bays for hard drives, so I can only run a four drive RAID-0 setup if I use a partition on my startup disk for scratch. I though it was best not to use the startup disk at all as a scratch disk. Am I wrong? (You can tell I am clueless about RAID, so I appreciate the help.)
    Well first off, there are two spare SATA ports on your motherboard where you can hook up two more drives. And even neater is this little rack which lets you mount two SATA drives in place of a lower optical drive! http://www.maxupgrades.com/istore/in...Product_ID=158

Of course this assumes you are not using the lower optical for a second optical drive. Note it will also allow you to mount 4 SATA drives, two below and two above, but then you need to add a SATA controller card and eliminate you upper optical drive. I use this rack and have a total of 6 drives in my box; the main 4 are in RAID-0 with two partitions, the thin outer for scratch and the huge inner for really fast image storage. Then the 2 drives in the lower optical bay are also striped and that's where my OS and programs reside -- this pair isn't partitioned and gives me a huge, fast desktop.

Cheers,
    Jack

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

By the time Jack gets you setup I have a extra pair of wings to stick to the side of the box for takeoff. It will fly trust me. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Little Deuce Coupe...

Jack

Post Thanks / Like

A minority report: I haven't looked it up but I have the distinct feeling that on my 8 core Xeon with 8 gig of RAM, neither Capture One nor Lightroom are that much better than my 18 month old iMac and I suspect that the apps are not correctly using the multithreading possibilities. In fact C1's tethered mode actively crashed on the 8 core and worked fine on everything else until the latest version of the software. So I'd check out the exact specs of the apps you use. There's no point trying to drive a ferrari on a cart track.

t

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

C1 is more core dependent and LR is a single core just like PS is . Cores will not help you much with LR but Ram will. I just bought a 15 in MBP 2.93 with 2 SSD drives running Raid 0 and 8gbs of Ram and in PS it will actually beat my old MacPro 2.66 with 12gb of Ram and 10k drives. BUT in C1 the MacPro because of the 4 cores beats my laptop . I just got through A LOT of testing on this. On C1 you need to update to 4.7 since they have a fix in there for the 8 core boxes, there was a issue. Doug or Jack can explain this a little better. But you need to update to 4.7. BTW even though C1 is somewhat core dependent it is also Processor and ram dependent. No single thing in testing made it any better with times unless other parts of the system also improved along with Ram, Processor and fast Hard Drives. C1 is a combination of all of the above. I'm pretty close to my old MacPro but Jacks box just smokes me with the more cores , ram and drives. His time with 10 P45 plus files is 1:22 mine on the laptop is 3:40 in processing times , My old Mac Pro was 2:45 and my old laptop was 4:55 so I wound up about in the middle of my two older boxes but actually ahead in PS because it uses a single core. Cores maybe the biggest element but Ram and hard drives are also part of those times as well.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hmmm. My Mac is an early 2008 8-core machine, and the last two C1's have been very stable on it. Currently, 4.7 is showing about a 20% increase in speed over 4.6. For a benchmark Tim, I process out 10 P45+ files to full 16-bit Profoto tiffs and time it, it takes 1:22 for the run with 4.7.

As to Mac stability issues, the earlier versions of 4 did have issues with 8-core Macs. The fix was completely removing all C1 files from your machine and reloading -- and you have to go into the system and manually remove some of these -- did you try that before installing 4.7?
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just to play devil's advocate, but are you sure you need all that power? What types of files are you editing and in what volumes? Do you use lots and lots of layers when you edit (like more than 5, not including adjustment layers)?
    I use a quad core mac pro from early 2008, I believe with 4 or 6gb of RAM and the stock video card, no RAID and I have never for one moment felt like I had to wait an unreasonable amount of time for any given task. Things open extremely quickly, filters are very quick. I would never dream to say that you can't make it much faster, but the question is whether it will matter for you. I mostly work with 22mp digital files and several hundred meg Imacon scans. My volumes are fairly modest. But anyway, just laying that out there. I am not sure if you are a professional or an amateur, but if you are not coming home from work with 300 39mp files every evening, the stock systems go a long way.

Then a caveat to my caveat , my power mac system before this lasted me six years, mostly because I bought one of the highest end models. Right until I replaced it, it chugged along quite well. One of the nice things about the Mac Pro's is that they have so much room for expansion, you can buy a good processor set, and then add components as you see the need.
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Stuart's comment raises a question for me. I use Lightroom, CS4 and increasingly Autopan Pro. I'm currently running an iMac with 2 gig of Ram, 667mHz. Things get real slow (especially in CS4) when I do panos. If I spend the approx. $5k to go MacPro will I see a significant speed up? Can I speed things up with my current setup plus some additions?

I'm not a pro, just an impatient type A amateur.

Thanks for all you time and help.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mike,

Well... My box assembles a 4 frame pano of full sized, 16-bit P45+ files (roughly 240 megs each) using AutoPano Giga in about 3 minutes, and even faster in CS4. Note that AP Giga DEFINITELY utilizes multi cores, and also note that the newest Helicon Focus utilizes multiple cores, and of course C1 does too.

Timing CS4 for you now (a program that currently only utilizes a single core) on that 4-frame pano... Got 1:14, but it doesn't do nearly as good a job as APG (). However, at least now you have something to benchmark against -- uprez four frames to 7393 x 5545 px and make them 16-bit, run them through CS4 photomerge and compare the times to your box. Or tell me your file sizes and I'll downrez mine to that and re-run it.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mike right now a quick fix is get that to at least 4gb of Ram . All CS4 programs are really more than anything else Ram hungry the more the merrier is really the key. a 7200 rpm 32mg cache hard drive also. Get away from any 5400 rpm drive. Your also looking at a slower processor as my MacPro was but I made that a rocket by adding Ram and very fast 10k drives and than Raid 0 scratch. The new MPB 2.66 with at least 6gb of Ram would also be a big improvement with a good fast drive than hook your monitor to that for home use . Depends on what you are after but the new IMacs are very compelling as well and the speed is up there plus they will take 8gbs of ram.

Post Thanks / Like

Jack, I'll try one and get back to you tomorrow when its done.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think the key here is knowing what programs are core hungry and what programs are more Ram hungry . All Adobe stuff is more in the Ram hungry area. C1 and other programs like that are more core hungry. Having a fast processor and fast Hard drives help in both cases. So knowing what you use you can balance your choices out some. 8 cores will not help you much with CS4 sure it will help but I am beating my old box with less cores because of better Ram, Faster Processors and Fast SSD drives and this is coming from a laptop which BTW is basically a IMAC

Post Thanks / Like

I guess the decision comes down to:

....Do I spend about $2500 for a loaded iMac now knowing that it will be a big improvement now, but essentially a dead-end going forward. Or, do I spend more than double that for a MacPro 8 core with the expectation that it will be upgradeable and ready for OSX6 and CS5...

Mike

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Faster Processors and Fast SSD drives and this is coming from a laptop which BTW is basically a IMAC
    HI Guy
    I have one of the new unibody MBP 15" 2.53 with a 7200 rpm drive and 4gb RAM

I also have a year old imac 24" 2.66 with a 5400 rpm drive and 4gb RAM

There is absolutely no comparison between the two.
    The Imac is at least twice as fast in Aperture and Photoshop.
    My son is using an Imac and a 17MBP, (both fully loaded with ram) and he says exactly the same thing.

In fact, the iMac is sooooo much faster at everything.

This doesn't make much sense to me, but the laptop is certainly not 'basically a IMAC' . . or if it is, something is slowing it down drastically.

P.S. - we do have a macPro as well (16gb, 7200), it's faster than the imac, but not by as much of a margin as the imac is faster than the MBP.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

The fix was completely removing all C1 files from your machine and reloading -- and you have to go into the system and manually remove some of these -- did you try that before installing 4.7?
    Oh yes! More than once

But it seems fine now and hasn't crashed once, even tethered, since 4.7 went on. It's really a very fine piece of software now.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by popum View Post
    I guess the decision comes down to:

....Do I spend about $2500 for a loaded iMac now knowing that it will be a big improvement now, but essentially a dead-end going forward. Or, do I spend more than double that for a MacPro 8 core with the expectation that it will be upgradeable and ready for OSX6 and CS5...

Mike
    Hi Mike
    I can't answer that question for you, but surely any imac you buy now will be ready for OSX6 and CS5.

Worth mentioning (with reference to Guy's remarks) that in my experience the iMAC is a great deal faster than the current notebooks, despite what the specs might tell you.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

To Guy's point, a trick is trying to figure out what will be most untilized...RAM or cores. I am tending to hedge my bets toward more cores, plus having the ability to load up RAM as needed. Even though apps like PS and LR are not really taking advantage of multiple cores, as some other apps are starting to, they may catch up at some point, or Snow Leopard may find a way to parse things out and "trick" PS. (Not holding breath on that last part, but Apple has been disappointed in how slow Adobe updates things for it fire breathers, so they may have found a way to "help Adobe along". It is in their interest to sell more machines, but if major apps are not able to utilize the power/cores offered, it does not get things out the door as fast.)

I guess a decent compromise is to get a machine that is tuned mainly for the apps and workflow you use most, with some future proofing in the plans, i.e., hoping Snow Leopard and PS CS5 are able to utilize the power. (I am still waiting to see if Apple will be able to deliver a 4-core chip or so for laptops, and maybe tune memory slots to better utilize the DDR3 RAM chips, like three slots, not just two that max out at 8GB.

Ah, we keep wishing and asking, but we must be a very small minority in the overall market, as few of our wishes ever get granted. (Apple DID listen and provide a matte screen on the new 17" MBP, and it would be great if they offered it again on the 15" MBP, but that may render the 17" nearly obsolete, as folks would rather carry the 15".

LJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Plus I was able to put 8gbs of Ram in mine when Apple says you can't on the 15 inch. Another marketing trick to get folks to buy the 17 inch.

Jono that is interesting for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LJL View Post

Ah, we keep wishing and asking, but we must be a very small minority in the overall market, as few of our wishes ever get granted. (Apple DID listen and provide a matte screen on the new 17" MBP, and it would be great if they offered it again on the 15" MBP, but that may render the 17" nearly obsolete, as folks would rather carry the 15".

LJ
    I'm waiting for a matte-screened 15", as are two of my friends. We'll not buy a 17", nor upgrade to the current gloss screen unless our current laptops completely disintegrate. Sure, given enough time we could be shoe-horned into a glossy 15" MBP, but there are three of us waiting and several others in conversation saying the same (which may suggest a larger pool), so maybe Apple will give us this one. I'm hoping so.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I read somewhere you can get it matted for 200 dollars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    HI Guy
    I have one of the new unibody MBP 15" 2.53 with a 7200 rpm drive and 4gb RAM

I also have a year old imac 24" 2.66 with a 5400 rpm drive and 4gb RAM
    Jono, are you sure the iMac has the 5400 rpm drive and the MacBook has the 7200 drive? It has been a long time since 3.5" SATA drives were 5400 RPM unless you specifically bought one, and MacBooks still come with 2.5" 5400's. Your numbers would make perfect sense if the 7200 drive was in the iMac and the 5400 in the MacBook, because drive size and spin speed have significant impact on overall performance...
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I've seen that, and that would be my approach if I get squeezed into buying a glossy model. I'm not one who likes to buy a brand new Mac and send it off for a Franken-puter mod., but it's an option.

In fact, I'm boxing up one of my laptops this week, to send off to Apple (Apple Care) for a flickering screen. The computer is near the end of its 3-year warranty and I'm glad I'm not having to sort it out between venders.

Hopefully, we'll see an option from Apple, so that we can tweak the rest of the components and not the screen too.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, might I suggest you do as I did which is run (don't walk) and get a brand new 2008 8-core model which works out to be about the same as the 2009 4-core. Deals are out there on them but not for long. And don't forget Live cashback on BIN ebay purchases.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Jono, are you sure the iMac has the 5400 rpm drive and the MacBook has the 7200 drive? It has been a long time since 3.5" SATA drives were 5400 RPM unless you specifically bought one, and MacBooks still come with 2.5" 5400's. Your numbers would make perfect sense if the 7200 drive was in the iMac and the 5400 in the MacBook, because drive size and spin speed have significant impact on overall performance...
    The new MacBook Pros offer an optional 7200rpm drive, which I also chose for my 15". Unfortunately I bought the 2.4GHz version, mostly for battery life reasons, not price, and I maxed it out at 4GB. Now that the 8GB kits are not available for the 2.4GHz version, I really regret. I wish there were something I could do to change it.

Has anyone succeeded in getting the 8GB kit to work in a 2.4GHz MacBook Pro? Does anyone know why it is not supposed to work? All the relevant specs are identical, that I can see.
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Carsten you can go as high as 6gb from OWC. I had that in my 2006 2.4 and worked great actually

http://eshop.macsales.com/MyOWC/Mode...pe=Memory&5950

Post Thanks / Like

I'm hoping to get this thing ordered today, and I think I've mostly settled on what I'm going to get, but Stuart's post gives me pause.

Will a 4 Core 2.96 with 8 gig mem. run LR and PS faster than a 8 Core 2.26 with 12 gig mem., all other things (drives,etc.) being equal, at considerably less expense?

I buy the future proofing argument so am leaning towards 8 core, but would only consider an 2.26 8 Core because of the big dollar jump for faster 8 core speeds.

Thanks for all the great expertise on this thread.

Mitchell

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I would go for the cores even though PS may not fully use them. At some point Snow Leopard and CS5 will come along and it may very well be heavily core dependent. Ram , Hard Drives and all that can be upgraded anytime . Processors and cores cannot. Jack can give you maybe a better answer on the speed with 4 vs 8 but I know my 4 core could not keep up with his new 8 core although I was very close with 10k drives and 12gb of Ram. Also these new processors out are different than before . For a good read visit Lloyds site also. Good friend of GetDPI and very knowledgeable http://macperformanceguide.com/

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Jack
    Actually, I'm not certain about the IMAC - so that could be 7200 as well
    I AM certain about the MBP though as I fitted the 7200 300gb drive myself!

Honest Jack - the difference is stunningly obvious.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Carsten you can go as high as 6gb from OWC. I had that in my 2006 2.4 and worked great actually

http://eshop.macsales.com/MyOWC/Mode...pe=Memory&5950
    Hi Guy
    Do you know how much RAM I can get in my 2.53 Ghz versoin?

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Yup, if the 8GB don't work, that's what I'll have to do.

I forgot to mention: although the speed of the drive in my MacBook Pro 15" is 7200rpm, that doesn't mean that the drive is as fast as a 3.5" desktop drive. The seek times and latencies are much better on desktop drives, so the laptop will still be slower.
    Carsten - Website

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi Guy
    Do you know how much RAM I can get in my 2.53 Ghz versoin?
    You can go 6gb with that one as well but not 8gb

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by carstenw View Post
    Yup, if the 8GB don't work, that's what I'll have to do.

I forgot to mention: although the speed of the drive in my MacBook Pro 15" is 7200rpm, that doesn't mean that the drive is as fast as a 3.5" desktop drive. The seek times and latencies are much better on desktop drives, so the laptop will still be slower.
    Yea there is no 32 cache in laptop drives , 16 is the biggest.

Post Thanks / Like

Guy,

Thanks for your response, and it is the way I'm leaning.

Just wondering about paying alot more money to get alot less processing speed 2.26 versus 2.93?

Do the extra cores and ram make that worth the extra money?

Thanks,

Mitchell

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Right now Ram is the key with PS and LR and in any box i think 6gb is the minimum. I have seen more performance jump going from 4gb to 6gb in any box I have had. I would suggest that at least that be a starting spot. This gives the system 3gb after PS to work with and PS to tap into those extra 3gb than scratch is also very important for PS. I think anyone will tell you the processing speed jumps are not as relevant as the numbers sound. I think and Jack or Lloyd could confirm this better but from the same family of logic boards the jump from 2.26 to 2.9 maybe yields 10 percent increase. My numbers maybe off here but not as much as we would want to think.

I think barefeats did a test where the 4 core actually beat the 8 core so we have to be careful here . Read this test pretty revealing http://www.barefeats.com/nehal08.html