The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad X1D II Deliveries/Delays?

Status
Not open for further replies.

clonardo

I pre-ordered from B&H on day 1, and have seen the estimated ship date on their site slip from "mid July" to "August 1." Has anyone heard anything about what's going on, or heard other estimates from their dealers? Thanks in advance to anyone with more info.

onasj

A ship date estimate slipping by a couple weeks from product announcement to a retail distribution in this niche industry is probably above average.

I pre-ordered from B&H on day 1, and have seen the estimated ship date on their site slip from "mid July" to "August 1." Has anyone heard anything about what's going on, or heard other estimates from their dealers? Thanks in advance to anyone with more info.

tcdeveau

Hasselblad themselves are probably the only ones that know for sure.

Probably not what you want to hear, but "punctual" and "X-system shipping/delivery" are not two phrases that have traditionally gone together with the launch of X-system components so far. In my experience so far, a considerable amount of patience is required when placing orders for X-system gear when it's first announced and not in stock. I'm still waiting on my X-release cord I ordered from the HB store within 30 mins of the announcement back in March.

It's pretty common in the industry in general these days though for demand to exceed expectations and delivery dates of cameras to slip. If you peek at the GFX Facebook Group, there are a good number of ppl angry that the GFX100 they ordered from B&H on day 1 hasn't arrived yet with no estimated ship date in site. Hang in there, it'll ship when it ships, and maybe they'll break the mold and be able to get a good number of cameras out the door on time.

If your order is in at B&H, you may want to consider calling around to some of the smaller dealers if you're looking for a body sooner rather than later, and even touching base with the Hasselblad Store itself. I had luck finding an X1D in stock at a dealer in Virginia (Ace Photo) after waiting months for an order from Adorama when I bought the OG X1D. Good luck!

drunkenspyder

I'm still waiting on my X-release cord I ordered from the HB store within 30 mins of the announcement back in March.
You and me both Todd. That’s been a laughable backorder. I agree with the other comments here: "it’s not unusual and look around for smaller retail sources.” But HB is worse than most. Except for Leica maybe. Though in the case of HB, it seems exceptional. I had hopes that the DJI investment would produce delivery and R&D improvements, but . . .. Look at the 907X SE; it’s supposed to be a 50th Anniversary edition, and it may not even get released this year (which makes HB’s special tag line on the camera reasonably smart).

Last edited:

clonardo

Another thread on this here: http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.com/index.php?topic=6346.0 . Per some of the latest comments there, some are hearing from their dealers that the camera's delayed until September. B&H's site still says August 1, so I guess we'll see.

I thought that the whole justification for Hasselblad getting left in the dust by Fuji in terms of release cadence was that they were holding off on announcing products until they're ready to ship? If that's the message that they're going to send, it looks quite bad if they still miss announced ship dates. Here's hoping that the X1D ships before the A7R IV, just on principle.

rmueller

Hi,

i was at my dealer today to pick up the X1D charging hub (very solid) and two 3400mAh batteries for the X1DII.

My dealer has a demo X1DII in the store which I briefly tried. He's expecting deliveries not before September. Not
a big deal for me as he offered me a X1D for free from his rental pool until my X1DII arrives, so time to learn the new thing.

Few things sticked to my mind:
- Startup time of the X1DII is so much faster than the H6D (and supposedly the X1D which i never owned)
- The EVF is a delight, very crisp and clear, same for the display which is huge.

Best Regards,
Ralf

clonardo

I have had the opportunity to use a demo unit of the X1D II for a location shoot, and one other time at the Hasselblad studio in NY. I have more limited experience with the first X1D, but my perception is that the camera just felt rough around the edges- the X1D II really does feel more finished, and inspires more confidence in use. I was also shooting with a GFX 50R alongside the demo X1D II, and the GFX was quicker for most things, with smoother operation in many ways- and the tilting screen does come in handy. Still, I am keeping my X1D II pre-order, because I need a leaf shutter, and the camera's intangible qualities and ergonomics are worthwhile to me. The GFX 50R is really a very polished camera, though- it's so clear that the GFX system's development has been informed and subsidized by the success of the X series when you start using one.

Hi,

i was at my dealer today to pick up the X1D charging hub (very solid) and two 3400mAh batteries for the X1DII.

My dealer has a demo X1DII in the store which I briefly tried. He's expecting deliveries not before September. Not
a big deal for me as he offered me a X1D for free from his rental pool until my X1DII arrives, so time to learn the new thing.

Few things sticked to my mind:
- Startup time of the X1DII is so much faster than the H6D (and supposedly the X1D which i never owned)
- The EVF is a delight, very crisp and clear, same for the display which is huge.

Best Regards,
Ralf

bab

Hopefully the new H7D will have the same EVF seems to be some hints from a few ambassadors that making image capture focusing easier on the X1D was the biggest change to their workflow.

Announcement + Delivery = Delay

Hopefully the new H7D will have the same EVF seems to be some hints from a few ambassadors that making image capture focusing easier on the X1D was the biggest change to their workflow.

Announcement + Delivery = Delay
The H series uses EVFs?

fotophil

The HxD Series are mirror based reflex cameras and the X1D Cameras are mirror-less cameras using EVF Technology. Apples and oranges!

SrMphoto

The HxD Series are mirror based reflex cameras and the X1D Cameras are mirror-less cameras using EVF Technology. Apples and oranges!
I really hope that the HxD series keeps the magnificent OVF forever, but Hasselblad could improve the HxD’s live view (on LCD) and make LCD tiltable.

Last edited:

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Cameras that aren’t shipping don’t exist. Shipping estimates aren’t worth the pixels they’re printed on. Really. Don’t make plans based on them.

Godfrey

Cameras that aren’t shipping don’t exist. Shipping estimates aren’t worth the pixels they’re printed on. Really. Don’t make plans based on them.
Yes.

When I order a new, not yet released product shortly after product announcement, from an established and reputable company, I just order it and wait until it shows up. It's nice to know the expected time of arrival, but counting on that as part of a deadline is never a good idea.

If I need something three months from now and that thing isn't shipping yet, I buy something else that IS shipping now. That way I have time to test and become familiar with it for my deadline three months out.

G

clonardo

I haven't made any plans around this, but Fuji announced last year that they'd be shipping a very ambitious camera (the GFX 100) in the first half of 2019, and then actually did it.

Hasselblad (or at least their surrogates) kept pushing the notion of "waiting until a product is ready to ship before releasing it," announced a warmed-over refresh of a camera from 3 years ago (admittedly, warmed-over in the right ways, for me), and then blows their ship date. First mid-July, then August 1, and now some time in September.

While I don't have a deadline, I have started buying into the system (thankfully, with used lenses, so I'll be able to recoup pretty close to the full value if I give up on Hasselblad), and these delays and ongoing lack of transparency are really detrimental to customer satisfaction when their most direct competitor (Fuji) is executing so well (and has provided a roadmap for lenses, with the 45-100/4 still forthcoming). It's bad business to squander goodwill like this.

clonardo

Hasselblad's certainly keen to make it sound like it's released with a clear ship date in their press release announcing the X1D II:

"The X1D II 50C has an MSRP of € 5000 / $ 5750 / £ 4500 excl. VAT. Delivery in July 2019. Available to order immediately."

Especially compared to their "estimated" delivery time for the zoom lens in the next line:

"The XCD 3,5-4,5/35-75 Zoom Lens has an MSRP of € 4500 / $ 5175 / £ 4050 excl. VAT. Estimated delivery in October 2019. Ordering information will be released shortly before."

https://www.hasselblad.com/press/press-releases/hasselblad-expands-reach-of-medium-format/

Things do, of course, happen, but this is a significant miss from Hasselblad's own committed date. Per that thread I linked earlier on HasselbladDigitalForum, word is that no dealers will have cameras before September.

Yes.

When I order a new, not yet released product shortly after product announcement, from an established and reputable company, I just order it and wait until it shows up. It's nice to know the expected time of arrival, but counting on that as part of a deadline is never a good idea.

If I need something three months from now and that thing isn't shipping yet, I buy something else that IS shipping now. That way I have time to test and become familiar with it for my deadline three months out.

G

JimKasson

I haven't made any plans around this, but Fuji announced last year that they'd be shipping a very ambitious camera (the GFX 100) in the first half of 2019, and then actually did it.
Sort of. My dealer has yet to receive one GFX 100.

Paul2660

Not sure if Fuji shipped anything after the 27th of June. There has been very little talk from users that would have received a GFX100 after the 1st round of shipping.

They also appear to have slowed down the production to fix the switch issue on the vertical grip.

Paul C

clonardo

1 batch shipped is a lot better than zero :cool: From what I've read, Fuji has been overwhelmed with orders, so it sounds like it may take a while for anyone who didn't get their pre-orders in early.

Not sure if Fuji shipped anything after the 27th of June. There has been very little talk from users that would have received a GFX100 after the 1st round of shipping.

They also appear to have slowed down the production to fix the switch issue on the vertical grip.

Paul C

Christopher

I know for a fact that Fuji is shipping GFX all the time. All this talk about no shipments after the initial release is BS. The demand is huge and more than Hasselblad could ever deliver. (Just look at Hasselblad Financial numbers and you know how much they could have sold)

I don’t get why Hasselblad waited so long to announce a camera which is shipping so much later... nearly as bad as Phase One did with the IQ4...

Status
Not open for further replies.