The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad X1D II Deliveries/Delays?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Godfrey

I don't care one wit about what Fuji is doing. It's completely irrelevant to my interest in a Hasselblad, regardless of whether one might consider Fuji to be their primary competitor or not. I won't buy a Fuji regardless of whether Hasselblad ships or not.

The point of view that says "Hasselblad should do this because their competitor is doing this" is completely contrary to my way of thinking. I want Hasselblad to do what Hasselblad does, not what Fuji does. If all that is wanted is the latest, hottest spec sheet available now now! NOW!, well, that's a perspective very different from mine about camera equipment and camera brands. :)

G

hcubell

Here's what I wrote on another Forum where someone was very upset about the delays in the shipment of X1D II bodies:
"I believe the vast majority of current and prospective buyers are happy with their Hasselblad system and are willing to accept the company's limitations. Everything in life, whether it's camera systems or personal relationships, involves trade offs. Pluses and minuses. We all have to decide what works for us. I personally can deal with the wait for lenses, bodies and accessories. If what was ultimately delivered wasn't exceptional for my needs, I would move on myself. It seems to me that the trade offs for YOU in buying and using Hasselblad equipment just aren't worth it, and you are banging your head against the wall. I am not trying to tell you are wrong. It's all personal. However, complaining is a waste of time. It's not going to change things. Hasselblad is a small company and they just cannot keep up with the Fujis, Sonys, Nikons and Canons of the world in the compressed product cycle that these companies run on. And, at the end of the day, it's about cameras and lenses. I have lots of them. It's not like I am waiting for an organ transplant."

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I know for a fact that Fuji is shipping GFX all the time. All this talk about no shipments after the initial release is BS. The demand is huge and more than Hasselblad could ever deliver. (Just look at Hasselblad Financial numbers and you know how much they could have sold)

I don’t get why Hasselblad waited so long to announce a camera which is shipping so much later... nearly as bad as Phase One did with the IQ4...
HB hasn t finished filing the orders on version 1 ..remember they had 30,000 on order ! Such B.S. simple answer is they aren t able to produce them at a steady rate or they would know exactly how far behind they are . Overwhelmed by orders ....:banghead:

hcubell

HB hasn t finished filing the orders on version 1 ..remember they had 30,000 on order ! Such B.S. simple answer is they aren t able to produce them at a steady rate or they would know exactly how far behind they are . Overwhelmed by orders ....:banghead:
How long did you have to wait after you ordered your X1D?

Doppler9000

Here's what I wrote on another Forum where someone was very upset about the delays in the shipment of X1D II bodies:
"I believe the vast majority of current and prospective buyers are happy with their Hasselblad system and are willing to accept the company's limitations. Everything in life, whether it's camera systems or personal relationships, involves trade offs. Pluses and minuses. We all have to decide what works for us. I personally can deal with the wait for lenses, bodies and accessories. If what was ultimately delivered wasn't exceptional for my needs, I would move on myself. It seems to me that the trade offs for YOU in buying and using Hasselblad equipment just aren't worth it, and you are banging your head against the wall. I am not trying to tell you are wrong. It's all personal. However, complaining is a waste of time. It's not going to change things. Hasselblad is a small company and they just cannot keep up with the Fujis, Sonys, Nikons and Canons of the world in the compressed product cycle that these companies run on. And, at the end of the day, it's about cameras and lenses. I have lots of them. It's not like I am waiting for an organ transplant."
Nikon has revenues of ~$6.5 billion, DJI ~ $3 billion.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
My dealers notice for delivery of the X1D II was , that delivery would start in week 31 .
Now the notice has changed to : delivery time is 13 weeks .

glennedens

My dealers notice for delivery of the X1D II was , that delivery would start in week 31 .
Now the notice has changed to : delivery time is 13 weeks .
So does that mean week 44 (31+13)? That would be end of October, beginning of Novemeber. I am looking forward to getting the improved X1D - taps fingernails on desk :) Making good use of the X1D-4116 in the meantime.

Kind regards, Glenn

glennedens

Nikon has revenues of ~$6.5 billion, DJI ~ $3 billion.
FWIW the Nikon division that includes cameras reports revenue of about $2.7 billion (including a lot of things besides just cameras) - the bad news is their business is shrinking at the rate of about 17% per year.

In March total camera unit sales were down about 481,000 units year-over-year (1.106m total).

Hasselblad is a tiny fraction (best guess around $100m) of the size of the Nikon imaging division (although that's not quite fair since the Nikon business unit includes other products). No matter how you slice it, Hasselblad is a "boutique" or "niche" supplier - which is fine, since I appreciate what they do, how they do it, and it works well for my projects.

No news here, we all know this, the traditional camera business faces challenges - I'm grateful that companies like Hasselblad and Leica continue to exist as well as challengers like Sony and Fuji - we have so many choices today! And yes I'm counting the days until we start getting our X1Dii's :)

Kind regards, Glenn

Doppler9000

Even if DJI owns large part of Hasselblad, Hasselblad it is not merged with DJI, i.e., its profitability and accounting is very likely (and hopefully) separated from DJI.
My point is that Hasselbald being majority owned by a large company with strong growth prospects is not the same as Hasselblad as a small, possibly under-capitalized lone wolf.

I wonder how capital markets would view lending to Nikon, whose market share has flushed and whose growth prospects seem murky, at best, operating in a shrinking segment, versus lending to DJI, one of the biggest players in a rapidly growing segment.

Godfrey

The size of Nikon's business, or DJI's business, is even less relevant to the question of when Hasselblad will deliver the products they've announced than whether Hasselblad should try to be like Fuji with their products.

I'm sure that the folks at Hasselblad are even more eager to ship their new products than any of us are to receive them, and will do so as soon as they are able to. We have no choice but to be patient and wait for them, or we can choose to cancel our orders. Getting annoyed by the wait and whining about it serves no purpose, just wastes energy needlessly.

I know what I'm going to do...* :D

G

* ... to wit: Play with the notions of what field of view my various lenses adapted to the 907x will produce, and think about what subjects I'm going to photograph when the equipment arrives. :cool:

glennedens

Godfrey, that was my point "making good use of the X1D-4116 in the meantime".

Glenn

The size of Nikon's business, or DJI's business, is even less relevant to the question of when Hasselblad will deliver the products they've announced than whether Hasselblad should try to be like Fuji with their products.

I'm sure that the folks at Hasselblad are even more eager to ship their new products than any of us are to receive them, and will do so as soon as they are able to. We have no choice but to be patient and wait for them, or we can choose to cancel our orders. Getting annoyed by the wait and whining about it serves no purpose, just wastes energy needlessly.

I know what I'm going to do...* :D

G

* ... to wit: Play with the notions of what field of view my various lenses adapted to the 907x will produce, and think about what subjects I'm going to photograph when the equipment arrives. :cool:

Doppler9000

The size of Nikon's business, or DJI's business, is even less relevant to the question of when Hasselblad will deliver the products they've announced than whether Hasselblad should try to be like Fuji with their product.
Can you explain how the ability to bring products to market is independent of the capital resources available to the manufacturer?

Godfrey

It obviously does not pay to be an early adopter. You are helping fund R&D for Hasselblad
Stating that the way you did, you imply that there is something wrong in doing so. In the last analysis, every customer who buys the product is "helping fund R&D for Hasselblad" because where else would the money for the R&D come from other than from sales of the products that are produced by those endeavors?

This is just getting silly. :ROTFL:

G

richardman

First, please provide actual evidence that DJI "owns" Hasselblad.

Second, please provide actual evidence of Hasselblad management team members that are appointed by DJI.

If not, then it matters not whether DJI has "substantial investment" in Hasselblad.

Doppler9000

First, please provide actual evidence that DJI "owns" Hasselblad.

Second, please provide actual evidence of Hasselblad management team members that are appointed by DJI.

If not, then it matters not whether DJI has "substantial investment" in Hasselblad.
Do you actually believe that a well-capitalized business and a poorly-capitalized one are equally equipped to bring products to market in a timely fashion?

Whether DJI chooses to actually deploy more captial is a separate question, obviously.

Do you doubt that DJI bought Hasselblad?

A quick google of “dji” “acquisition” “hasselblad” will lead you to articles on the acquisition.

Would this constitute “actual” evidience? It is not clear what the modifier “actual” was intended to connote.

Doppler9000

If you ask that question, then it is obvious you did not understand the point of my post at all.

G
Perhaps you could clarify, then, the relevance or irrelevance of internal capital resources with regard to a company’s ability to bring products to market.

My initial question was based on the inference that you felt the size and capitalization of a company are not particularly relevant to its ability to bring products to market. Was my inference incorrect?

richardman

All articles point to the original post in Luminous Landscape. Do your research. There has been NO official confirmation.

We all can speculate, but then going on speculations and running off the rails :ROTFL:

Status
Not open for further replies.