The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad X1D II Deliveries/Delays?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SrMphoto

Do you actually believe that a well-capitalized business and a poorly-capitalized one are equally equipped to bring products to market in a timely fashion?

Whether DJI chooses to actually deploy more captial is a separate question, obviously.

Do you doubt that DJI bought Hasselblad?

A quick google of “dji” “acquisition” “hasselblad” will lead you to articles on the acquisition.

Would this constitute “actual” evidience? It is not clear what the modifier “actual” was intended to connote.
There are rumors, confirmed by "sources" that DJI has a majority stake in Hasselblad. There is no actual evidence as hard as I tried to find it. IMO, it is likely that DJI acquired a majority stake, but I do not know of any confirmation.

If you were able to find actual evidence of the majority stake in Hasselblad, please share it.

Doppler9000

All articles point to the original post in Luminous Landscape. Do your research. There has been NO official confirmation.

We all can speculate, but then going on speculations and running off the rails :ROTFL:
Techcrunch confirmed the story from multiple independent sources, it seems. I have no way to solicit official confirmation, I’m afraid.

You wrote:

“it matters not whether DJI has "substantial investment" in Hasselblad.”

You are saying that the ownership question isn’t even relevant here.

So, again, do you really not understand that bringing products to market is costly, and that having more capital makes it more feasible?

Doppler9000

There are rumors, confirmed by "sources" that DJI has a majority stake in Hasselblad. There is no actual evidence as hard as I tried to find it. IMO, it is likely that DJI acquired a majority stake, but I do not know of any confirmation.

If you were able to find actual evidence of the majority stake in Hasselblad, please share it.
I can provide no proof.

I will point out that Hasselblad hasn’t issued any statements I could find denying the acquisition. It is hard to imagine them remaining silent if it wasn’t true. Not dispositive, I realize.

SrMphoto

The deliveries have apparently started. Vieri (Italy) got one. Don Trammel in Finnland got one (see Facebook group).

richardman

Don't put words in my mouth.

Read what I wrote. I said, there is no evidence that DJI is influencing Hasselblad's decisions in anyway. You can speculate all you want, and "it would make sense to..." but you are not DJI nor are you Hasselblad.

If there is an article claiming that they "confirmed" with multiple sources, I am sure you can provide such link :ROTFL:

https://techcrunch.com/2017/01/05/dji-acquires-hasselblad-the-iconic-swedish-camera-company/

"Now Luminous Landscape has reported, and multiple industry insiders have told TechCrunch, that DJI has acquired Hasselblad, not outright, but taking a majority stake in the camera company...."

Let's see, does it say DJI have people sitting on the board? Does it say DJI is running the management?

Last edited:

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member

Read what I wrote. I said, there is no evidence that DJI is influencing Hasselblad's decisions in anyway. You can speculate all you want, and "it would make sense to..." but you are not DJI nor are you Hasselblad.

If there is an article claiming that they "confirmed" with multiple sources, I am sure you can provide such link :ROTFL:

https://techcrunch.com/2017/01/05/dji-acquires-hasselblad-the-iconic-swedish-camera-company/

"Now Luminous Landscape has reported, and multiple industry insiders have told TechCrunch, that DJI has acquired Hasselblad, not outright, but taking a majority stake in the camera company...."

Let's see, does it say DJI have people sitting on the board? Does it say DJI is running the management?
One of the old posts linked to a Swedish Financial report that showed that HB had defaulted on their loan form DJI and that DJI now owned 100% of HB . Posting on forum creates no obligation to do the research necessary to “Prove It” . There are so many facts that point to HB being capital constrained that even a noice financial analyst would recognize it . Example they decided not to bring the New Cv50 2 back to market because they wanted to dedicate their commitment to sensors to the X1D . This was in a quote from HB interview .

From purely business perspective ...any delay in the shipments of a new product should be a cause for concern . One ....why ? Have they identified problems with the product itself that need to be corrected now to avoid warranty issues later . Two..what is the impact on cash flow and thus working capital requirements ...when product isn t shipping . Classic insolvency scenario . Three ..when faced with a working capital crunch .....you cut back on investments like R&D and focus on sales to bring cash in .

Its pretty much a given that these discussion highlight a basic lack of financial perspective . :banghead:

vieri

The deliveries have apparently started. Vieri (Italy) got one. Don Trammel in Finnland got one (see Facebook group).
I don't know about Finland, but unfortunately deliveries haven't started in Italy yet. The camera I got is a Demo unit, as I said in the video posted in the FB group you mention, which I got thanks to the generosity of FOWA (Hasselblad Italian distributor) and NewOldCamera (my favourite dealer). My personal unit, the one I ordered, is still MIA :)

Best regards,

Vieri

D

Deleted member 7792

I don't know about Finland, but unfortunately deliveries haven't started in Italy yet. The camera I got is a Demo unit, as I said in the video posted in the FB group you mention, which I got thanks to the generosity of FOWA (Hasselblad Italian distributor) and NewOldCamera (my favourite dealer). My personal unit, the one I ordered, is still MIA :)

Best regards,

Vieri
Vieri, demo or not, I'd like to hear your impressions of the X1D II compared to the X1D you've been using. Will you be publishing an article in your blog? Like you, I have ordered the X1D II and am patiently waiting.

Joe

vieri

Vieri, demo or not, I'd like to hear your impressions of the X1D II compared to the X1D you've been using. Will you be publishing an article in your blog? Like you, I have ordered the X1D II and am patiently waiting.

Joe
Joe,

I started writing as we speak :) will publish a review in the upcoming days, hopefully real soon. Best regards,

Vieri

clonardo

Three ..when faced with a working capital crunch .....you cut back on investments like R&D and focus on sales to bring cash in .

Its pretty much a given that these discussion highlight a basic lack of financial perspective . :banghead:
And the world pretty much gave them a pass on this last time around, with the original, half-finished X1D.

Godfrey

Joe,

I started writing as we speak :) will publish a review in the upcoming days, hopefully real soon. Best regards,

Vieri
I look forward to reading it!
I've been drawn to the X1D since it was first announced and remain an enthusiast for it ... Would likely have gone for one if the 907x + CFV50c II had not been announced. I just prefer the "small box with a lens on the end" form factor. :)

G

vieri

I look forward to reading it!
I've been drawn to the X1D since it was first announced and remain an enthusiast for it ... Would likely have gone for one if the 907x + CFV50c II had not been announced. I just prefer the "small box with a lens on the end" form factor. :)

G
Thank you Godfrey! :) Well, the 907x + CFV 50 II is extremely cool... too bad I can't find a good enough excuse to get one! :ROTFL:

Best regards,

Vieri

tjv

Seems that this mock up is just what I would have wanted in terms of a slight design / interface change in an updated model (on top of the faster and more stable processing platform and VF.) Joystick for picking focus point and and articulating screen. I wonder if this will be a DJI branded camera or a Hasselblad product with a new sensor.

tcdeveau

Seems that this mock up is just what I would have wanted in terms of a slight design / interface change in an updated model (on top of the faster and more stable processing platform and VF.) Joystick for picking focus point and and articulating screen. I wonder if this will be a DJI branded camera or a Hasselblad product with a new sensor.
Seems to be a Hasselblad branded product because in the rear perspective view, if you look close, you can see "Hasselblad" on the bottom of the screen.

Generally, letters and logos are not allowed in the drawings of design patents (I write and prosecute patents for a living and do a lot of design patents in the US), and it looks like someone did a not-so-great job cloning the logo out.

sog1927

I like the button placement on the back. I think it would be easier to distinguish the buttons by feel (something I find a bit difficult with the X1D).

Doppler9000

Do the patent drawings constitute evidence for you or do you actually believe DJI is stealing intellectual property from Hasselblad and submitting patents based on it?

And, do you honestly believe that DJI, which had to repo Hasselblad to collect on a bad debt, after the latter has made one financial blunder after another, would remain a passive investor, with no managerial input?

You will never be convinced of much of you insist on a press release that spells out every detail of everything, even if it is unflattering or might hurt sales.

For example, you are unlikely to see a press release spelling out the precarious financial and market positions Hasselblad has been in, the bailout, etc.

That news, along with delays, product cancellations, etc., might give potential buyers pause before investing in a camera system which may instantly become an orphan, particularly when Fuji has a competitive product line that has several large advantages, backed by a company with few to no stumbles of any kind.

I enjoy your ironic emoji of the guy laughing, by the way.

sog1927

Seems to be a Hasselblad branded product because in the rear perspective view, if you look close, you can see "Hasselblad" on the bottom of the screen.

Generally, letters and logos are not allowed in the drawings of design patents (I write and prosecute patents for a living and do a lot of design patents in the US), and it looks like someone did a not-so-great job cloning the logo out.
Must be my aging eyeballs, but I can't make that out.

Status
Not open for further replies.