The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Swc-e

Godfrey

Yes, for the Apollo program
Well, they wouldn't have made an 903SWC-E for the Apollo program, since the 903SWC wasn't released until the late 1990s and the Apollo program was terminated in 1974 or so. I don't recall any of the older SWC models being fitted with a motor drive unit; the version concurrent with the Apollo program was the original SWC and then the slightly updated model with the T* multicoated version of the Biogon 35mm lens, which I believe dates to 1970-1971.

G

richardman

Sorry, I was momentarily confused ;-) Yes, the MKWE is based on the 903SWC. It's a companion to the MK70, both with Roseau plate - just like the Apollo Hasselblads ;-)

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/hasselblad/cameras/hasselmodels/models/mkw.htm

And there is a SWCE, a SWC with the EL motor drive
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photograph...lad/cameras/hasselmodels/models/superwide.htm

Both are produced by Hasselblad-AB, a separate company that made (makes?) precision scientific instruments.

Godfrey

Sorry, I was momentarily confused ;-) Yes, the MKWE is based on the 903SWC. It's a companion to the MK70, both with Roseau plate - just like the Apollo Hasselblads ;-)

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/hasselblad/cameras/hasselmodels/models/mkw.htm

And there is a SWCE, a SWC with the EL motor drive
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photograph...lad/cameras/hasselmodels/models/superwide.htm

Both are produced by Hasselblad-AB, a separate company that made (makes?) precision scientific instruments.
That seems inaccurate; I don't know that 'Hasselblad-AB' is a separate company ... I think Victor Hasselblad AB is the full name of the original company and that the MK series of cameras was made by a specialized engineering group producing customized technical camera products, modified for specific uses.

Regardless, although these SWC-E variants have the Roseau plate, there is no mention or evidence of their use in NASA space missions that I've found. They're darn cool cameras anyway!

Fun stuff! :)

G

jodad

That seems inaccurate; I don't know that 'Hasselblad-AB' is a separate company ... I think Victor Hasselblad AB is the full name of the original company and that the MK series of cameras was made by a specialized engineering group producing customized technical camera products, modified for specific uses.

Regardless, although these SWC-E variants have the Roseau plate, there is no mention or evidence of their use in NASA space missions that I've found. They're darn cool cameras anyway!

Fun stuff! :)

G
I followed hasselblad a lot but i did not know about this one. It is very cool but i think the motor will make it heavy.

richardman

G
I have seen in elsewhere that calls it a "separate company", it could have been a different division / group / subsidiary, and mis-translated. I do not know.

Godfrey

I followed hasselblad a lot but i did not know about this one. It is very cool but i think the motor will make it heavy.
I had a 500ELW body for a brief time. Lovely piece of machinery, but the motor made it much bulkier and heavier than my 500CM. I'd have kept it, though, except that the one I had proved to have a fault so, on consideration, I just returned it and didn't look for another.

One of the things I've always liked about the Hasselblad 500 cameras is how compact and light they are for 6x6 cameras. I really can carry a 500CM with WLF and 80mm lens in my backpack without any strain or special consideration.

G