The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One IQ4 150 discounts

gerald.d

Hello all -

As some will have noticed, I made a decision a while back to move off the Phase One train, having previously owned IQ180, P45+ Achromatic, IQ380 and finally IQ3 100, which I am currently trying to off-load in the Buy/Sell forum here.

Graham made an interesting point that the trade-in "value" of an IQ3 100 towards an IQ4 150 is $25,000 in the US. Currently my back remains unsold at $13,750 (it comes with a warranty until October 2023, but I suspect that would have no bearing on the trade-in value). Gotta be honest, if the IQ4 150 was capable of great video, I would have been tempted at that trade-in offer...

Given I've been unable to shift it, that can only lead me to the conclusion that dealers must be willing to offer at least a $10K immediate discount off the retail price for cash buyers.

So this is just a friendly heads-up to anyone shopping for an IQ4 150 - I suspect you will be able to drive a very hard bargain if you have cash in hand!

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Paul2660

Most I have heard via grapevine is 3500 of the gap after trade in. I am sure more is available depending on dealer and situation. So upgrade price after trade in is around 18.5K.

Personally I can’t see using a P1 back for video as the remaining camera parts really don’t lend themselves to video capture not to mention attempting to edit such a huge data stream. But I can always appreciate the need of others.

I would just like to see P1 figure out a way to allow image playback via external HDMI monitor.

Paul C

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Right now, trade in against new is far more cost effective than even buying a gently used demo IQ4150.

tjv

Are trade-in values ‘open knowledge’ now?

I can’t afford to upgrade but wondering what a Credo 60 V mount might get me towards a newer full frame CMOS back like an IQ3.

Dreams are free...

Paul2660

Only your dealer knows for sure the value of an any back/at any given time for a trade in.

I believe P1 set the trade in for the IQ3 to IQ4 at 22K, i.e. you trade in your back and pay 22K for the IQ4. This was never published anywhere, but all dealers had the same amount at announcement. IQ260 to 3100 back in 2016 was quite a bit more.

The only Published upgrade I can remember was the P65+ to IQ180 which I believe was 14K way back around 2011 or 2010. The IQ180 listed for over 40K even then. It was the last great trade in I can remember for value.

Paul C

RLB

It's my perception that trade in value is quite a bit higher than if one sold the back themselves. I suspect P1 is underwriting this to an extent, not unlike how premium auto brands do to retain brand loyalty from customers. P1 will take your back and "re-certify" it...and this is a positive thing for the next owner as well since it will carry some factory warranty. In our scenario the trade value was 50% higher than the open market and was an easy decision.

R

Are trade-in values ‘open knowledge’ now?

I can’t afford to upgrade but wondering what a Credo 60 V mount might get me towards a newer full frame CMOS back like an IQ3.

Dreams are free...
For what it's worth, My dealer told me the difference if I were to trade my IQ350 for an IQ3100 would be about $27k, and about $30k for an IQ4150.

Steve Hendrix

For what it's worth, My dealer told me the difference if I were to trade my IQ350 for an IQ3100 would be about $27k, and about $30k for an IQ4150.

The list price for an IQ3 50 upgrade to IQ4 150 is $30,990 currently. And there is a $5,000 credit toward other Phase One products with this upgrade through August 31, 2019. Some dealers will handle the $5,000 credit in different ways, depending on what the buyer may wish to do with it.

I believe you mean $26,990 is the list price for an upgrade from IQ3 50 to IQ4 100 Trichromatic (I presume you meant IQ4 100 Trichromatic instead of IQ3 100). And there is a $3,000 credit in this instance on top of that.

IQ3 100 digital backs - at times - have been promoted at $17,990 this calendar year. Keep that in mind. But upgrades to Phase One are only for IQ4 products. If it is anything below IQ4, then it is incumbent upon you or your dealer to work out the best situation for selling your existing digital back - either to the dealer or free market.

As you all know, Phase One upgrade pricing is rarely transparent or static. And some pricing offers are not advertised. So best bet is to contact your dealer and ask them what the best is they can do for you.

We work out situations for our clients every day.

Steve Hendrix/CI

The list price for an IQ3 50 upgrade to IQ4 150 is $30,990 currently. And there is a $5,000 credit toward other Phase One products with this upgrade through August 31, 2019. Some dealers will handle the $5,000 credit in different ways, depending on what the buyer may wish to do with it.

I believe you mean $26,990 is the list price for an upgrade from IQ3 50 to IQ4 100 Trichromatic (I presume you meant IQ4 100 Trichromatic instead of IQ3 100). And there is a $3,000 credit in this instance on top of that.

IQ3 100 digital backs - at times - have been promoted at $17,990 this calendar year. Keep that in mind. But upgrades to Phase One are only for IQ4 products. If it is anything below IQ4, then it is incumbent upon you or your dealer to work out the best situation for selling your existing digital back - either to the dealer or free market.

As you all know, Phase One upgrade pricing is rarely transparent or static. And some pricing offers are not advertised. So best bet is to contact your dealer and ask them what the best is they can do for you.

Steve Hendrix/CI
Thanks, Steve! I do believe It was the IQ4100 for $27k. Can you explain the credit towards "Other Phase One products" ? I take that as the credit can be used toward a lens or something, but not toward the upgrade cost of the back, is that correct? If one doesn't take advantage of the credit, what are some other ways it could be used?

GrahamWelland

All I can say is that our very accommodating dealers made the upgrade process painless.

Yes, August 1st was an expensive day but hopefully this one will be like my IQ3100 and be good for 3+ years.

Btw, if I didn’t already have my IQ3100 I wouldn’t hesitate buying Gerald’s. Even if you don’t want the IQ4 it’s still a fantastic back at a great price.

gerald.d

It's my perception that trade in value is quite a bit higher than if one sold the back themselves. I suspect P1 is underwriting this to an extent, not unlike how premium auto brands do to retain brand loyalty from customers. P1 will take your back and "re-certify" it...and this is a positive thing for the next owner as well since it will carry some factory warranty. In our scenario the trade value was 50% higher than the open market and was an easy decision.

R
I don’t see how this “re-certification” helps the buyer in any way.

Note that when dealers sell used backs, it would seem that they only come with a one year warranty.

Where is the benefit to the end user of taking in a back with 4 years warranty, and then turning it around and offering it with just one?

Kind regards,

Gerald.

GrahamWelland

The warranty doesn’t get terminated when you buy from a private party. My IQ3100 was warrantied until 2021 and would apply to a private buyer.

gerald.d

Steve Hendrix/CI
Your candour on the pricing is much appreciated Steve. Thank you.

It’s also good to know that the Phase One/AD sales channel can offer cash discounts of as much as 30% on the current price of a new IQ3 digital back and still make money.

Maybe I’ll step back on the train in 18 months when the IQ4 150 can be had new for $18k :)

Kind regards,

Gerald.

gerald.d

The warranty doesn’t get terminated when you buy from a private party. My IQ3100 was warrantied until 2021 and would apply to a private buyer.
Correct. But when buying a used back from a dealer, it only comes with one year warranty, or at least, that’s what’s I have seen mentioned on websites where they are listed for sale (at higher prices than the dealers were apparently selling them new earlier in the year!)

Kind regards,

Gerald.

GrahamWelland

Correct. But when buying a used back from a dealer, it only comes with one year warranty, or at least, that’s what’s I have seen mentioned on websites where they are listed for sale (at higher prices than the dealers were apparently selling them new earlier in the year!)

Kind regards,

Gerald.
I’ll let dealers speak to that.

gerald.d

I’ll let dealers speak to that.
They already have - publicly:

Example -

https://www.digitalback.com/product/phase-one-xf-iq3-100mp-pre-owned-2/

All digital backs sold by Capture Integration include a 1 year warranty. Capture Integration is the only dealer in the marketplace to include this service for pre-owned digital backs.

One Year Warranty
Capture Integration offers a 1 year warranty on digital back, body and lens.
Second example -

https://www.dtcommercialphoto.com/support/warranty/

Phase One Classic Warranty – Comes standard with all refurbished gear (P+, IQ1/2/3) purchased from Digital Transitions

*snip*

Digital Back - 1 year
Kind regards,

Gerald.

TheDude

It’s also good to know that the Phase One/AD sales channel can offer cash discounts of as much as 30% on the current price of a new IQ3 digital back and still make money.

Maybe I’ll step back on the train in 18 months when the IQ4 150 can be had new for $18k :).
Fuji GFX 100 will certainly set a new benchmark on performance vs. value. Will be interesting to see how P1 will respond.