The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What bags do you use for your Tech cameras?

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Alas, this stuff matters. I packed a tech cam with back and lens mounted a little too tightly and ended up with a useless SK35XL that, even after two trips overseas for repair, was never as sharp again. Some equipment is built to take rough handling and some isn't. It's important to know which is which and pack accordingly. I think the f-stop ICUs will only work with disassembled units, so I appreciate this discussion of deeper packs.

No disparagement of tech cams intended! It was my own stupid fault. Besides, with the gateway drug of the 907X special edition (whenever it actually ships), a new MFDB will be itching for a mounting solution with shifts, at least. As nice as the Canon 24 TS-E is, it's no replacement for SK and Rodie glass.

Best,

Matt

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Nice but unless you’re an architectural type of shooter the pelican is a boat anchor.

That said, I travel with the 1510 and repack to my fstop on site.

GrahamWelland

It's important to know which is which and pack accordingly. I think the f-stop ICUs will only work with disassembled units, so I appreciate this discussion of deeper packs.

Matt
I’d agree with that - it’s a fit of lenses vs fully built up.

do some searches and you’ll find my Alpa back set ups.

jodad

Alas, this stuff matters. I packed a tech cam with back and lens mounted a little too tightly and ended up with a useless SK35XL that, even after two trips overseas for repair, was never as sharp again. Some equipment is built to take rough handling and some isn't. It's important to know which is which and pack accordingly.
oh man, that is painful to hear...

I think the f-stop ICUs will only work with disassembled units, so I appreciate this discussion of deeper packs.
Correct. I just spoke to them, the internals of the huge Cine ICU will just about hold an alpa SWA with the VF in place (but not if you use any of those VF "extenders/raisers") but that's a massive ICU and a major waste if all you carry is one cam with lens attached and back plus MAYBE another lens.

I looked up various Wide holsters too but none of them are made in a way that wont risk damage to the VF.

The problem is the VF isn't made to be quick remove so its a pain to have to unscrew and screw back in plus eventually the threads will probably start to feel it.

jodad

All these things are personal preference and debatable, but I’ve always oriented an assembled camera vertically in the backpack when walking; lens pointing at the sky. I think the greatest risk is the 100,000+ small shocks the equipment sees from each step. Especially when going down steep trails.

If you prefer to orient it as you describe, think of ways to support the lens both at the filter threads and under the Copal shutter. Simple way is to wrap a lens cloth or small chamois around the shutter. Same goes for the film back. There is probably 1-3 cm of space between the bottom of the film back and the bottom of the camera, including whatever Arca-Swiss plate you add to the camera. Fill that space with something.

Dave

ARGH...
Yes, clearly you are right Dave, i didn't even consider this...
The SWA as beautiful as she is is turning out to be quite a fussy one.

I guess the reality is that I'm going to have to store it with the lens and back disassembled and just not put it away when I'm out till I'm literally completely done and on the bus or train home.

jodad

Nice but unless you’re an architectural type of shooter the pelican is a boat anchor.
True.
I actually did find a hardcase that i thought would work perfectly for the one lens and VF already assembled setup - HPRC4050 with a strap. It looks like it would perfectly fit the camera lens, back and VF fully assembled and oriented in the same way as it it was sitting on its bottom on a table (if the foam was cut out properly it would also support the lens and back as Dave suggests) but walking around town with a hard box like that around your back with a camera around your neck and the box is empty almost the whole time seems like a real bummer.

Im not complaining and wining although i guess it sounds like it lol. Im really just frustrated i wasn't able to solve this

Disassembled and a nice smallish bag i guess it has to be...
Probably in the end also the safest thing.

vjbelle

I just received my F-Stop Ajna and large ICU and after one day of trying to fit it with my Actus DB2 with long rail I decided it just wasn't for me. Very nice bag but not as comfortable as my goto ThinkTank Airport Essential. I also used the ThinkTank with my STC years ago and it worked out well but the camera did have to travel unassembled. I also have two Pelican 1510 cases - one fitted with Trekpak and the other empty so that I can fill it with my ThinkTank which fits perfectly.

My ThinkTank with camera and five lenses, 4150, batteries and filters weighs in at 15.4 lbs. I always hand carry my tripod....

Victor

GrahamWelland

I just received my F-Stop Ajna and large ICU and after one day of trying to fit it with my Actus DB2 with long rail I decided it just wasn't for me. Very nice bag but not as comfortable as my goto ThinkTank Airport Essential. I also used the ThinkTank with my STC years ago and it worked out well but the camera did have to travel unassembled. I also have two Pelican 1510 cases - one fitted with Trekpak and the other empty so that I can fill it with my ThinkTank which fits perfectly.

My ThinkTank with camera and five lenses, 4150, batteries and filters weighs in at 15.4 lbs. I always hand carry my tripod....

Victor
i can share my Actus DB long rail set up in a pro large ICU but I do have to remove the lens, back and bellows.

Theres no safe way to keep them together, well other than in my RR.

Pelorus

A couple of weeks late, but two thoughts:

I use an STC and I never use the viewfinder. It's beautiful and all that, but I use the eFinder app and leave the (heavy, bulky) viewfinder at home.

As for bags, I have an fStop Ajna and ICU to fit. It's a fine bag as long as you don't want to take photos :)

My favourite bag is surprisingly small and fits all I need. The Ortlieb Softshot. It's also, to all intents and purposes, 100% waterproof: Ortlieb Softshot

Mike