The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One XF Cable Release, Really?

ShaunQ

Hey new to the forum and a new owner of a Phase One XF camera system. Bit rattled to see they haven't designed and offered a nice cable release for this camera? Through a lot of searching it seems they did sell the older DF style cable release for the XF but only for a limited time?

Sorry but I have pretty high standards of equipment throughout all my interests and to see Phase One sell a crappy $5 looking chinese cable release as their main offering is beyond me. Last thing I want to be holding in my hand as I shoot a photo with this system is a horrendously designed piece of plastic.

The older style DF cable release at least looks like it belongs in a camera bag, seems these are available 2nd hand but unsure whether they fit the XF socket which is 12 pin, where as the DF was 8 pin. I'm quite happy with modifying simple 2-3 way electronics, but struggling to find a cheapish option of buying a newer XF cable socket to modify and work with the older style DF cable release.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated, the XF has been out for a while now and thought there'd be a bit more info about on forums with people coming up with their own solutions, however there isn't a lot of info or people sharing their own solutions. Considering the outrageous cost Phase One charges for cables and releases from a 2nd party brand name, any info or links would be much appreciated.

ShaunQ

Apologies in advance for the disgruntled first post on this forum, loving the wealth of knowledge available here.

Thanks Paul well aware of the BOB and the hahnel remote release, trying to avoid anything chinese/germese while I use this camera.

Maybe oneday a 12 pin mamiya 645 remote will appear for sale :rolleyes:

drunkenspyder

Thanks Paul well aware of the BOB and the hahnel remote release, trying to avoid anything chinese/germese while I use this camera.
Well, good luck with that! FWIW, I have two of the Hahnel, neither has ever failed me; at $99USD, they’re hardly outlandishly priced in this market. It may not look like a Bugatti, but no one has ever looked askance at me while I used it with my XF. I appreciate quality machinery, too, but to paraphrase Freud, sometimes a shutter release is just a shutter release. The Hahnel and BOB both work.

“Germese”? Maybe I misunderstand the reference, but as an owner of some fine camera and auto bits, I’d be happy to have a German-engineered/produced shutter release cable for the Phase. And the Chinese are not exactly slouches at manufacturing, as a look at any electronics, Microsoft, or Apple store will reveal.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
You don't say what back you're using on the XF, which matters as the IQ1/2/3 and Credo use one style release (8 pin) and the IQ4 uses another (12 pin).

Triggering options that don't transfer vibration to camera at time of capture:
- Self Timer
- Recurring captures via Time Lapse tool (and then time your movements in between)
- BOB
- Hahnel Remote
- Profoto Air transmitter using XF built-in Air receiver
- Capture Pilot via Ad Hoc (not yet available for IQ4, and not a feature on IQ1)
- Capture Pilot via tethering to laptop
- Capture One via tethering to laptop
- MIOPS system with MIOPS cable
- Older Mamiya release (discontinued)

All of the above can be combined with the seismograph tool to prevent release during any problematic vibration.

drunkenspyder

All of the above can be combined with the seismograph tool to prevent release during any problematic vibration.
Speaking of which, talk about a wow! factor when you're in a gaggle of photogs at some prime scene. Not that that sort of thing, uh, matters to me. Much. Well.......

Paul2660

However, the Hahnel release will not trigger Frame Averaging. Only the button on back will do that. (At least in my experience.)
Yes this is a good point, Bob won’t trigger it either. I just added the self timer to the back LCD button. But strange that a remote release won’t trigger it.

Paul C

ShaunQ

You don't say what back you're using on the XF, which matters as the IQ1/2/3 and Credo use one style release (8 pin) and the IQ4 uses another (12 pin).

Triggering options that don't transfer vibration to camera at time of capture:
- Self Timer
- Recurring captures via Time Lapse tool (and then time your movements in between)
- BOB
- Hahnel Remote
- Profoto Air transmitter using XF built-in Air receiver
- Capture Pilot via Ad Hoc (not yet available for IQ4, and not a feature on IQ1)
- Capture Pilot via tethering to laptop
- Capture One via tethering to laptop
- MIOPS system with MIOPS cable
- Older Mamiya release (discontinued)

Awesome info there Doug and thanks, looks like the 12 pin MIOPS cable will suit my needs and be an easy option to splice into an older style Mamiya/DF remote. As far as I can tell the XF has a 12 pin socket and my IQ360 has an 8 pin socket, however I can't find anywhere in the manual that says you can fire the shutter while connected to the 8 pin socket on the IQ, unless you have an IQ3100 which has ES. The older style Mamiya/DF remotes are 8 pin so wouldn't work without being converted to 12 pin?

etrump

I love the profoto trigger bit the xf sadly has bugs with it.

. HDR has to be fired manually first then the trigger works otherwise it ignores changes.
. FA ignores it
. Focus stack ignores it or ignores changes until the button/back is used first.

And of course the camera ignores almost anything after a few seconds of inactivity requiring a wake-up hit.

Bugs, bugs, BUGS all

My not use a Profoto trigger/transceiver, or a miops?

Xbill

Hello All!

"- Profoto Air transmitter using XF built-in Air receiver"

I have a phase one XF and I don't find how to trigger it with a profoto remote.

Thanks for your help

earburner

Hello All!

"- Profoto Air transmitter using XF built-in Air receiver"

I have a phase one XF and I don't find how to trigger it with a profoto remote.

Thanks for your help
Just select the input channel on the xf profoto settings and try the test button on the remote. I find it only like my dumb remote not my profoto canon air remote. if the camera goes to sleep, it stops work and you have to wake it back up

Xbill

Just select the input channel on the xf profoto settings and try the test button on the remote. I find it only like my dumb remote not my profoto canon air remote. if the camera goes to sleep, it stops work and you have to wake it back up
Thank you very much for your help! I'll try tomorrow. 🙏🙏

Craig Stocks

FWIW I had one of the fancy Phase One DF releases that was hundreds of dollars and it lasted about 6 months before it quite working. I've not had any problems with the Hahnnel during a couple years of use. I'd much rather have a low price durable piece of kit that keeps working.

alistairsimmons

Maybe oneday a 12 pin mamiya 645 remote will appear for sale :rolleyes:
I imagine as the XF is made in Japan the BOB probably is as well. If you have high standards it seems to me the BOB is the one, compared to the plastic Electromagnetic release cable from the Mamiya 645...

med

You don't need an input for it; it is integrated in the XF itself! In the "Capture Setup" menu, scroll to the bottom where it says "Profoto" and change the "receive channel" to whatever Profoto Air channel your transmitter is currently using. Now hitting the "test" button on the Air transmitter should fire the XF.